• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I can't see the second Sonic rep being anyone but Tails or Robotnik. They're the Luigi and Bowser of the series, and I'm pretty confident in saying they're the best known characters outside of the fandom, besides Sonic himself.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
That reminds me, I think that leaker Brushie who leaked Mario & Rabbids/DDLC+/some other stuff was doing 'Nintendo predictions' at some point today which will likely have real titles in it (there was a follow up comment about a 2 days rest which I can't find, and it is two days after that thread now) so be on your guard guys. I don't think they release Smash stuff but have done Direct titles in the past
They've done Smash stuff in the past, Byleth and Steve

Just, they themselves are unsure if it'll be doable this time.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Two days in and the thing I'm still most interested in is Metal Slug Tactics.

And that's not an indictment of Microsoft's show. But it is an indictment of Square's. :p
All of Square's E3 videos are currently sitting around or above 30% dislikes.... oof. Can't believe Switch isn't getting FF1-6.

kylexv

Smash Master
Pic of the Day:

Famicom Golf: US Course released in Japan 34 years ago today! This game was never localized.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Pic of the Day:

Famicom Golf: US Course released in Japan 34 years ago today! This game was never localized.
Funny it was never localized, considering the words "US Course" in the game's title.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Guess I’ll be going to bed soon. I expect Nintendo leaks by tomorrow morning

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Anyone want to hypothesize what sorcery caused this?
I love how aggressive the tweet is. Like, the game was around 1 and a half years old when this was found? Feels like its such a small issue that it doesn’t need to be complained about.

Unless of course this isn’t the first time it’s been recorded and is a consistent issue. In which case the rude wording is more warranted.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Another Pic:

Donkey Kong 94 released 27 years ago today!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Another Pic:

The fact the best GB game got love from Sakurai almost makes up for the fact that Showdown at the tower did not get a remix. Almost...

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
Amy Rose would be an odd submission to Smash at this stage of the game. Honestly think Tails or Robotnik be better suited for the second franchise entry. Personally, not a fan of Amy Rose, but that's due to perspective. I know the Sonic franchise from Archie/SatAM, so Amy Rose came in late and felt a bit unnecessary. Wouldn't be until I became older I learned the complicated history of the Sonic characters. I'm not expecting Amy here as I just don't think it make sense for her to be the next Smash character now.

With E3 being a worldwide event and only two characters left. I'd expect a double reveal with a potential for a Western character.

Final Top 10:
Crash Bandicoot: Relevance
Ryu Haybusa: Popular Classic
Doomguy: FPS Classic
Masterchief: Because Microsoft
Sora/Kairi: Because Square Enix
Porky or Ninten (one or the other): Anniversary and explains the missing boss
Lloyd Irving: Explains the missing Mii Fighter skin
Rayman: Because Ubisoft
Robotnik: Because Sega

... and you know what?

Agumon: Because of the impossibility yet nostalgic hope.

But a Final Top 10 isn't really risky. So I'm going to say Master Chief and Sora/Kairi for a surprise finish.

I suppose a Nintendo character is possible. Outside of Porky/Ninten that is. Hard to think of what it be. They could pull a fast one and actually show off Waluigi. Personally, I still think a Pokemon rep isn't out of the question. If it is, then I'm hoping for Cynthia. Just seems fitting to end with a non-pokemon character introduced in the middle of the franchise's history with two Sinnoh games coming up. Sadly, I think she's a long shot ... but personally I feel it would be a smart idea.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Another Pic:

The best Donkey kong game, dont @ me.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Holy ****, Stranger in Paradise looks like complete garbage.

Which blows, because "Dark Souls in the FF1 universe" sounds awesome on paper.

What is the general consensus?
We've all agreed it's Hayabusa.

So, they're going to die uh? Bait and Switch everyone?
Maybe the Player party is the Sky Warriors from Lufenia, who were, like, the previous generation of Light Warriors, who were transformed into bats.

Anyway, Adol Christin is the lead protagonist of the Ys series, created by Falcom, that has been around since 1987.
Who is, frankly, perfect Mii Swordfighter materiel. He embodies "generic 80s anime swordsman".

Estelle is the Falcom rep we deserve.

I don't think Reimu's reception would be that bad.
Define bad. Is "confused silence" bad? Cause you can't really hate a character if you don't know who they are.

Unfortunately I can't say the same about Reimu. Personally I think she would be a really good choice but you know how Smash players and western audiences feel about anime.
Nobody is against Reimu because she's anime. They're against her because she's an indie character they've never heard of.

I’d wager Sol would be exempt from this. He’s extremely “anime” but not in the way a lot of Smash fans hate - like, definitely more in the Captain Falcon school of over the top anime flash. That kind of thing is popular within the community.

And Kiryu is just a beloved character across the board, I can’t see him sparking any real controversy.
Sol and Kiryu would be 2 fantastic picks.

But how about Bill Rizer?
Kid tested. Mother approved!

Didn't Sakurai cancel an entire story mode because the cutscenes leaked online? Apparently he hates leaks.
Lol, no. They didn't leak. People were posting vids after the game was out(this was back when youtube was just starting to blow up). And he was mad people were watching the vids instead of just playing it.

He was surprisingly un-forward thinking back then.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
So like, /v/ seems to be going nuts about Imran since he used the term "Smash Cut"(Which is a film term) to talk about the 4 BotW champions.

Yeah, no, I don't see a 4-1 character as DLC.
There's a guy on GFAQs pushing them hard too with his own leak.

We just got a 2 in 1, there's no ****ing way we're also getting a 4 in 1

Shroob

Sup?
There's a guy on GFAQs pushing them hard too with his own leak.

We just got a 2 in 1, there's no ****ing way we're also getting a 4 in 1
I just don't see us getting a 4 in 1 character period, that doesn't seem like something Nintendo would do.

Pyra/Mythra are basically clones with unique B moves, imaging a character that's 4 unique characters in one is... yeah nah.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
A 2-in-1 that was effectively a character turning into their own Echo is one thing, but a Pokemon Trainer-esque character is literally triple the work for a single slot. That's a pretty big waste of resources imho, especially when they cost the same as any other character pack.

Then again, I'd probably prefer Pokemon Trainer was never added and they used Squirtle and Ivysaur's dev time to add in more variety in franchises :drshrug:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So like, /v/ seems to be going nuts about Imran since he used the term "Smash Cut"(Which is a film term) to talk about the 4 BotW champions.

as unlikely as it is, I'd be down for it. Obviously it's a 4-in-1 which already makes it great, but I would finally have the closest thing we're gonna get to Decidueye.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

People on /v/ also seem to think Porky is a front runner, Rayman did not get screwed by the TMNT leak, and Doomguy is still a front runner despite being deconfirmed like 4 times. I’d take it with a grain of salt.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I just don't see us getting a 4 in 1 character period, that doesn't seem like something Nintendo would do.

Pyra/Mythra are basically clones with unique B moves, imaging a character that's 4 unique characters in one is... yeah nah.
Found it. He also says Rayman.

But yeah, It's Pokemon Trainer was hard enough, I can't imagine them adding yet another character

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Maybe they could make the Champions more manageable if they do what they did for Rick/Kine/Coo in Star Allies? They're all part of the same moveset, and swap between each other based on the attack. It could be handled similar to Byleth (Up attacks are Revali, Down attacks are Daruk, etc).

Shroob

Sup?
Maybe they could make the Champions more manageable if they do what they did for Rick/Kine/Coo in Star Allies? They're all part of the same moveset, and swap between each other based on the attack. It could be handled similar to Byleth (Up attacks are Revali, Down attacks are Daruk, etc).
That would look weird as hell.

And who'd be the base? I can't imagine having all 4 at once on screen at the same time would be a good idea if Ice Climbers are hard enough on the Switch, to the point that Rex+Pyra wasn't feasible.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Problem with that is that each character would have to have their own properties still. There's no way in hell Revali can have the same jump height and weight as Daruk. It's needlessly complex and sounds even more clunky than Steve.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If they saved the character for last and used as much time as possible, they might be able to make it happen. I have doubts about how well it'd be executed, but yeah, I think a four Champion character is feasible.

That being said, I think it's infinitely more like for them to simply choose Mipha or Urbosa one of the more popular Champions and incorporate the other three in things like taunts, victory screens, etc.

ZelDan

Smash Master
The Champions are in a very awkward situation when it comes to Smash.

trying to make them a 4-1 character seems kind of silly, since it's not like there's anything that ties them together...well, Link does I guess, but we already have BotW Link, and even if you ignored that and did incorporate Link somehow, that'd make it a 5-1 situation, which would be even messier and crazier.

You can't really just pick one champion over the other 3 when all 4 are equally important and are on equal footing (atleast based on BotW1. Never played AoC but I'm assuming its the same there).

you could just add all 4 as individual characters, but then you're adding 4 reps (or 5 if including BotW Link) for ONE game in a franchise. I didn't really care for the fact that FE Awakening got 3 reps, BotW getting 4/5 seems even more overboard.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
You can't really just pick one champion over the other 3 when all 4 are equally important and are on equal footing (atleast based on BotW1. Never played AoC but I'm assuming its the same there).
You absolutely can have one champion without the others. They're alm equally important but they aren't dependant on eachother or anything. Pokemon does this all the time.

I don't think one of the champions is happening, but I never really liked this reasoning as to why.

Shroob

Sup?
You absolutely can have one champion without the others. They're alm equally important but they aren't dependant on eachother or anything. Pokemon does this all the time.

I don't think one of the champions is happening, but I never really liked this reasoning as to why.
Pokemon does it because they kinda curate what Pokemon they want to be successful, Nintendo's never put one champion above the others, and having one get in Smash but not the other 3 would do just that.

Like, I don't think it's a coincidence that Greninja got in Smash, and was also absolutely pushed in regards to marketing and game, and the same for Incineroar to a lesser extent.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
I don't believe we're getting the BOTW champions because we wouldn't go from a 2 in one character to a 4 in one character and we probably wouldn't go from 1st party promotion to first party promotion either.

My personal opinion is that we're not getting another 1st party promotion at all in this pass.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Pokemon does it because they kinda curate what Pokemon they want to be successful, Nintendo's never put one champion above the others, and having one get in Smash but not the other 3 would do just that.

Like, I don't think it's a coincidence that Greninja got in Smash, and was also absolutely pushed in regards to marketing and game, and the same for Incineroar to a lesser extent.
Even Lucario was promoted to some extend before his appearance in Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom