• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I’d be pretty disappointed that we just doubled down on two series that already had content in the game over bringing in at least one more new IP, let alone Amy who I actually really like but would just be baffling and almost frustrating over more important and popular Sonic characters.

Waluigi is fine, I’d be happier to see either one of these characters if they showed up alongside something new. Ending on Mario and Sonic is just kind of lame not gonna lie, especially for people like me who really enjoy the deeper cuts.
I like deep cuts too hahaha. Give me a Seifuku Densetsu Pretty Fighter character or like... Wrestle Angels or something like that, Variable Geo, I go nuts hahaha

Amy would be kind of surprising because she's not an extremely popular sonic character.

Waluigi wouldn't surprise me that much though. In fact, I predict he will be the last character.
Waluigi is indeed pretty sus, as the Among Us player say... there's just a goldmine there waiting to happen... he's low-key "the hype character" to drop last... to quote Disturbed:

"THEY SAID IT COULDN'T BE DONE
TOLD ME THAT IT'S THE KIND OF BATTLE THAT JUST COULDN'T BE WON!"

Amy was the worst in Sonic Battle.
Gamma was where it was.
That mofo's jab could One-shot anyone....
The ****ing jab.
I'll have to disagree with ya there. Amy was my main, her little speedy attacks could throw dudes off.

The other characters that were good (IMO) were yes, Gamma. "INITIATING RECOVERY MODE!" BOOOOOM!

Rouge too, since her air kick heel drop could keep her in the air indefinitely if you kept landing it.

Shadow's Chaos Powers were pretty crazy too haha

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
See, I'm not just talking about the games they get - I'm talking about how generally celebrated they are, and how many shout-outs they get, and whatnot

Take Fantasy Zone, for example: Hasn't gotten a new game in a while, but do they give a crap about it? In this regard, absolutely!

While it gets pretty consistent love from the Western side of SEGA, on the other side of the coin, it's in this weird state of limbo where it's not something like Vectorman or Comix Zone where they clearly just don't give a rat's ass, but it's also not quite as prevalent in terms of general references as a lot of other SEGA series. This is why Axel being in PxZ2 was, like, a huge pleasant surprise: cause SEGA of Japan kinda flip-flop on the love they give it. Sometimes they feel like acknowledging it, sometimes they feel like ignoring it.
SOR in general falls into an interesting category where the Western fandom for it just doesn't fade away. The original trilogy still lingers in a lot of people's memories, a years long project like Streets of Rage Remake was actually finished (while still getting mods to this day), and its still held up as one of the greatest beat em up series ever despite not getting additional games until recently like Double Dragon or a connection to a broader universe like Final Fight. Its a major favorite of old school fans that has avoided the dustbin of gaming history like the aforementioned Vectorman or Comix Zone.

I get the sense that at some point in the mid 2010's Sega eventually just shrugged their shoulders concluded that there was clear money in doing something with it, especially when the indie boom kept getting bigger.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Amy was always my favorite in Sonic Battle alongside Chaos.
Amy'sroom.png

Make her stage in Smash Amy's Room from Sonic Battle aka THE MOST "Amy" thing one could imagine, PURELY for people who don't like Amy to be upset about it hahahahaha

And then make it competitively viable so that Amy's face could be plastered all over tournaments with her music cranking out hahahaha THE SPHINX LOOKED SO CUTE, I HAD TO SHAVE IT!

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Amy will be the next Sonic character, with her yandere fangirl personality from early 2000s. She finds out that Sonic was in Smash and didn't tell her about it, so she's now furious, she has found a way to enter Smash world to hammer Sonic in the face as a way to express her love for him.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Amy will be the next Sonic character, with her yandere fangirl personality from early 2000s. She finds out that Sonic was in Smash and didn't tell her about it, so she's now furious, she has found a way to enter Smash world to hammer Sonic in the face as a way to express her love for him.
HAHAHAHAHA YEAH

Like, the trailer is just Sonic RUNNING FOR HIS LIFE from some.... unseen assailant... he's running through all the places, and eventually he comes to a clearing and some Smash Bros are there, they try to fight him, he dodges but that holds him up. Out from nowhere, the assailant is revealed: AMY! SHE'S CHASED HIM ALL THE WAY HERE HAHAHAHAHA

Then she just starts smashing ALL the others with a hammer and WON'T STOP "NOBODY GETS SONIC EXCEPT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" and they have to hold her back like "NO NO NO NO AMY STOP STOP STOP YOU'LL KILL HIM!"

Last edited:

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
SOR in general falls into an interesting category where the Western fandom for it just doesn't fade away. The original trilogy still lingers in a lot of people's memories, a years long project like Streets of Rage Remake was actually finished (while still getting mods to this day), and its still held up as one of the greatest beat em up series ever despite not getting additional games until recently like Double Dragon or a connection to a broader universe like Final Fight. Its a major favorite of old school fans that has avoided the dustbin of gaming history like the aforementioned Vectorman or Comix Zone.

I get the sense that at some point in the mid 2010's Sega eventually just shrugged their shoulders concluded that there was clear money in doing something with it, especially when the indie boom kept getting bigger.
What makes it even wilder is Streets of Rage 4 is critically acclaimed and loved and a lot of ppl consider it to be the best arcade style beat em up ever made

Streets of Rage and Sega being so indifferent to it is so baffling considering how beloved every game is and the fandom for it just wont go away.

At least Axel got a high end figure lately too so we'll see. Axel SHOULD be in smash considering we lack a beat em up rep and hed be the best to represent it but at the same time Sega is so weird about SoR that I could see that just ruining his chances. tho on the same hand microsoft clearly doesnt care about banjo AT ALL and he still got in

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
To be honest, I've never been a big fan of Amy as a character (I don't dislike her but she's one of my least favorites, especially in recent games), but regardless of that I still wouldn't mind her in Smash, I think she and Knuckles are the most suited Sonic characters for a cool fighting game moveset.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Amy would be... weird. She's pretty important to her series, but she doesn't feel next in line at all. It would be like if we got Toad as the second Mario rep.
Well, at least it'd a surprise subversion nobody would see coming, heh.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Mario and Sonic are probably my two favorite franchises but getting Amy and Waluigi would be a travesty lol.

Tails or Dr. Robotnik will be the second Sonic Rep. Maybe as a longer shot, Shadow. I don't see Amy in the ruining.

Unfortunately, Waluigi does have a chance. Don't get me wrong, I like Waluigi but there are so MANY better picks then him. I want Waluigi (and Wario) in mainstream Mario games.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Let's be fair here: barely anyone outside of Sonic has been playable in a mainline (at least, 3D) game since 2006 lol
It's a damn shame too. The Sonic fanbase is never pleased. You got people who think only Sonic Should be playable and you've got people who think it should have more than Sonic playable.

Bring back Adventure 1 Style gameplay, dammit. I like the extended Sonic Cast.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
It's a damn shame too. The Sonic fanbase is never pleased. You got people who think only Sonic Should be playable and you've got people who think it should have more than Sonic playable.

Bring back Adventure 1 Style gameplay, dammit. I like the extended Sonic Cast.
That minus Big the cat type stages.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
okay then
mcu whatif whatif...? logo series Sticker by Merel

what if spider man was fp11

DUDE! I would LOVE Spider-man!

I'd love Wolverine or Ghost Rider or Hulk JUST A BIT more, but SPIDER-MAN, man...

SPIDER-MAN!

The name alone induces UNCONTROLLABLE HYPE within me man. Just have anybody anywhere say "SPIDER-MAN" and the hype rises!

Weird synchronicity tho, I wore a Spider-man shirt today.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
What makes it even wilder is Streets of Rage 4 is critically acclaimed and loved and a lot of ppl consider it to be the best arcade style beat em up ever made

Streets of Rage and Sega being so indifferent to it is so baffling considering how beloved every game is and the fandom for it just wont go away.

At least Axel got a high end figure lately too so we'll see. Axel SHOULD be in smash considering we lack a beat em up rep and hed be the best to represent it but at the same time Sega is so weird about SoR that I could see that just ruining his chances. tho on the same hand microsoft clearly doesnt care about banjo AT ALL and he still got in
I've played Streets of Rage 4 and it's awesome so I'm kinda baffled too why Sega keeps ignoring it. I think the reason why Western Sega IPs such as Vectorman and Comix Zone are in the dustbin of history is because since Sega of Japan didn't create it. They prefer to ignore it. I do remember they canceled Eternal Champions: The Final Chapter because they didn't want it to overshadow Virtua Fighter so it wouldn't be surprising they'd ignore the others too. :(

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, SSE's story sucked, and was a waste of development time, which could have gone to more characters.
Can't say I agree, it was amazing to see all these characters interacting outside of fighting. I'd have loved to see that continue and be expanded on.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I've played Streets of Rage 4 and it's awesome so I'm kinda baffled too why Sega keeps ignoring it. I think the reason why Western Sega IPs such as Vectorman and Comix Zone are in the dustbin of history is because since Sega of Japan didn't create it. They prefer to ignore it. I do remember they canceled Eternal Champions: The Final Chapter because they didn't want it to overshadow Virtua Fighter so it wouldn't be surprising they'd ignore the others too. :(
sega is scared of making vectorman 3. they know it would sell billions of copies, making every other release of their's look pitiful in comparison. they have sealed Him away for that reason.

i'm running this joke into the ****ing ground.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
E3 direct comes out on 16th of June here in Australia.

Can't wait for Mario to get beaten up again as well with Kirby too in a Smash reveal.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
Can't say I agree, it was amazing to see all these characters interacting outside of fighting. I'd have loved to see that continue and be expanded on.
I don't know how unpopular an opinion this is, but I think SSE mishandled the character interactions. A lot of scenes are cool or fun in theory, but fall flat for me because the characters aren't given much of an opportunity to express their personalities or unique traits. (The lack of any dialogue whatsoever, voiced or text, is a big contributor to this, but even the early Lego games managed to make their pantomimed stories fun.)

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as Amy, she falls into a weird spot among the Sonic cast. She came about in the Classic era, and the early titles in the Adventure era were clearly trying to elevate her to prominence. However the post 06 de-emphasis of the cast reduced a lot of the non Shadow characters to cameos. What's unusual about Amy particularly was that she was simply too important to outright shuttle to the background like a Cream or Rouge (and the series couldn't afford to make all its female characters less important), but she lacked the same popularity of the big five (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Shadow) so she was kept around but not given much to do in the mainline games.

Boom gave her a main starring role and had fortunes gone differently that status might have ended up bleeding over into the core series. But as we all know, despite the strong efforts of the comic and TV series, the game bombing put an end to those plans and thus she's where she is now. Not as disposable to safely forget about for games like an Omega or the some of Chaotix, but not considered as vital to make playable in the games. The fact that Ray and Mighty (two characters that hadn't even in any games let alone main ones in 20 years) got playable in Mania Plus and not her was somewhat telling of how Sonic Team views Amy as a priority.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don't know how unpopular an opinion this is, but I think SSE mishandled the character interactions. A lot of scenes are cool or fun in theory, but fall flat for me because the characters aren't given much of an opportunity to express their personalities or unique traits. (The lack of any dialogue whatsoever, voiced or text, is a big contributor to this, but even the early Lego games managed to make their pantomimed stories fun.)
There is definitely a ton of room for improvement but I personally loved Subspace Emissary. I agree the execution could have been better but just having any means of character interaction was enough for me. The platforming was also a lot of fun on lower difficulties. What I loved most about the mode was that it gave my brother and I something to play cooperatively in Smash. Despite all its flaws, I think SSE is still the best single player mode Smash has ever had. It is far from perfect but I think the idea of SSE has a ton of potential to be amazing if they just address a few issues and I would love to see Sakurai give it another try.

Last edited:

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, which is why I'd have liked to see it get devoped further. It was hardly perfect, but there's a ton of untapped potential.

Paraster

Smash Lord
There is definitely a ton of room for improvement but I personally loved Subspace Emissary. I agree the execution could have been better but just having any means of character interaction was enough for me. The platforming was also a lot of fun on lower difficulties. What I lived most about the mode was that it gave my brother and I something to play cooperatively in Smash. Despite all its flaws, I think SSE is still the best single player mode Smash has ever had. It is far from perfect but I think the idea of SSE has a ton of potential to be amazing if they just address a few issues and I would love to see Sakurai give it another try.
Yeah, which is why I'd have liked to see it get devoped further. It was hardly perfect, but there's a ton of untapped potential.
I think my ideal interpretation of a "Smash story" would be to rely on dialogue scenes with text (no voice acting unless we had a really high budget). I'm mainly thinking of how dialogue scenes in Fire Emblem: Awakening looked, with character portraits superimposed over shots of the characters' models standing or just a plain background.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
sega is scared of making vectorman 3. they know it would sell billions of copies, making every other release of their's look pitiful in comparison. they have sealed Him away for that reason.

i'm running this joke into the ****ing ground.
Heck, they could have made a Comix Zone 2 and Kid Chameleon 2 alongside Vectorman 3 and made billions. This is one of the best jokes ever PeridoxGX. :)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
As far as Amy, she falls into a weird spot among the Sonic cast. She came about in the Classic era, and the early titles in the Adventure era were clearly trying to elevate her to prominence. However the post 06 de-emphasis of the cast reduced a lot of the non Shadow characters to cameos. What's unusual about Amy particularly was that she was simply too important to outright shuttle to the background like a Cream or Rouge (and the series couldn't afford to make all is female characters less important), but she lacked the same popularity of the big five (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Shadow) so she was kept around but not given much to do in the mainline games.

Boom gave her a main starring and had fortunes gone differently that status might have ended up bleeding over into the core series. But as we all know, despite the strong efforts of the comic and TV series, the game bombing put an end to those plans and thus she's where she is now. Not as disposable to safely forget about for games like an Omega or the some of Chaotix, but not considered as vital to make playable in the games. The fact that Ray and Mighty (two characters that hadn't even in any games let alone main ones in 20 years) got playable in Mania Plus and not her was somewhat telling of how Sonic Team views Amy as a priority.
I'm still annoyed Amy isn't in Mania. At least She got some love in their little animated series for Christmas

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think my ideal interpretation of a "Smash story" would be to rely on dialogue scenes with text (no voice acting unless we had a really high budget). I'm mainly thinking of how dialogue scenes in Fire Emblem: Awakening looked, with character portraits superimposed over shots of the characters' models standing or just a plain background.
Yeah I think that’s a really good compromise. I agree it would be great if the characters actually had dialogue with each other, voiced or not. It would be a lot of fun to see how all these characters would interact with each other in a more fleshed out way.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Well SE earns a nice solid D, that GOTG game ran on way too long. I'm hoping Capcom really blows it out of the park tomorrow.
I wouldn't expect much from Capcom just in case.
The lineup they announced for their showcase was Resident Evil 8, The Great Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter Rise and MH Stories 2.

RE8 and Rise already released, so I'm guessing more updates for Rise, and maybe some DLC for RE8 which would be cool. Meanwhile Stories 2 and Ace Attorney are releasing this summer.

What I mean is... The way they have been advertising this to me screams like they're just gonna focus on these new games and a few updates. At best I'm expecting some new ports (maybe a new Mega Man collection?) or a short tease for a new game.

The problem with big third party announcements is that they're usually locked for Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo events because one of them have the marketing rights for X game, which means said game will probably be announced at one of the events of the "Big 3" and not at Capcom's event. This applies to other third party companies as well.

That's probably why we didn't see FFXVI today, because Sony is supposed to have a state of play at some point of this summer so XVI will probably be there. These things kinda screw up the showcases of the third parties.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't have an issue with Amy Rose getting in Smash...eventually.

Not to upset the people supporting her, but I'd be a little bamboozled if they opted to add her instead of Eggman, Tails, Knuckles, or Shadow first. Not saying all four of those have to get in first, but I don't think Amy is really comparable to any of those guys.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
I’d rather have Knuckles to burrow inside the stage and stuff but he’s already an assist soooo

I guess it’s Amy or Eggman, if anyone.

inb4 amy is playable & eggman is one of the multiple new bosses in the brand new boss rush mode

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
That reminds me, I think that leaker Brushie who leaked Mario & Rabbids/DDLC+/some other stuff was doing 'Nintendo predictions' at some point today which will likely have real titles in it (there was a follow up comment about a 2 days rest which I can't find, and it is two days after that thread now) so be on your guard guys. I don't think they release Smash stuff but have done Direct titles in the past

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom