• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think a question that has to be asked is how much did the pandemic have a hand in that?

Because after the Min Min to Steve deal, we jumped right into Sephiroth and Pythra pretty close to one another, and I severely doubt we'll have long to wait for CP10 at this point either.
The plans and schedule for FP2 were announced before the pandemic, so while some characters' releases might have shifted a bit the plan was always to release the six fighters throughout 2 years.

Shroob

Sup?
The plans and schedule for FP2 were announced before the pandemic, so while some characters' releases might have shifted a bit the plan was always to release the six fighters throughout 2 years.
Right.

But the question is how were they spread out.

We can already assume that some stuff shifted around(Byleth was likely meant for TGAs, held off til January, Steve would have dropped in September if the blog is anything to go by, held off for Minecon), so the question is how much shifted internally.

Some stuff we can see due to the blog, others, not so much.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So

How confident are y'all in a double reveal?

I think it's definitely likely, but I'm still erring on the side of EXTREME caution.
Same here. It could certainly happen, but I'm gonna keep my expectations at one reveal.

Plus, if they DID do a double reveal, the rest of the wait cycle would be nothing but people complaining about their most wanted not getting in (or at least, it'd be worse than some of it is now). This is exactly the reason why I object to revealing every character at once in this case, except this would've been going on even before Min Min would be even released.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
King Boo? Interesting. Can you tell me why you believe King Boo is a lock?
literally every single 1st party release got a spirit event except Luigi's Mansion 3. AND the 2 year anniversary (halloween) is coming up later this year as the smash dlc comes to a close. plus with how many villains they've added so far its not even a prediction and moreso just connecting the dots. many people think only third parties smash dlc can get revealed at e3 but LM3 itself was revealed at e3...

Fire Emblem 3 Houses also didn't get a spirit event for awhile and we all know how that turned out...

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Right.

We can already assume that some stuff shifted around(Byleth was likely meant for TGAs, held off til January, Steve would have dropped in September if the blog is anything to go by, held off for Minecon), so the question is how much shifted internally.

Using the blog?

****, is this 2018?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Right.

I fail to see how that matters? What Trapezium was saying is that they wouldn't stretch out the characters, and I'd say the plans for FP2 kind of disproves that. Shifting a character by one month one way or the other doesn't suddenly change that intent.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Also, question for the general audience, who or what is Reimu, and why are they speculated to be likely? Genuine question.
Main protagonist of a very difficult game made by a very drunk man that has somehow developed a very dedicated fanbase for an indie in such a niche genre

Extra emphasis on the bit about the very drunk man
1622931745786.png

I think contact with his work is what drove my speculation style into madness

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Main protagonist of a very difficult game made by a very drunk man that has somehow developed a very dedicated fanbase for an indie in such a niche genre

View attachment 317936
Adding to ZUN being very drunk, he once said that he drinks more beer than water. And then there's other kind of alcohols, that he also drinks a lot of.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
literally every single 1st party release got a spirit event except Luigi's Mansion 3. AND the 2 year anniversary (halloween) is coming up later this year as the smash dlc comes to a close. plus with how many villains they've added so far its not even a prediction and moreso just connecting the dots. many people think only third parties smash dlc can get revealed at e3 but LM3 itself was revealed at e3...

Fire Emblem 3 Houses also didn't get a spirit event for awhile and we all know how that turned out...
I can see what you’re saying, but I can’t say that it’s “connecting the dots.” A lot of people have set themselves up for disappointment. No problem in being optimistic about a character you want though.
It could happen, but I do think there are others that may be just a smidge ahead in receiving an invitation.

King Boo would definitely be unique, and I love Halloween. It’s my favorite holiday. We’ll see I suppose.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

1622932319157.png

When the doctor says you can have ONE glass a day.

1622932403166.png

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

View attachment 317936
Not to mention the Dude drank some Cold ones with Toby Fox and one of the designers behind the game Moon

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
In other news...

Look at this totally cute game coming to Steam next year.
From the makers of Craftopia

Ah...that explains this game...

I mean, the trailer itself wasn't bad and it's really not a bad concept gameplay-wise...but geez, it takes too much visually from Pokemon. The character at the end even looks like a bootleg Nessa.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Adding to ZUN being very drunk, he once said that he drinks more beer than water. And then there's other kind of alcohols, that he also drinks a lot of.
Also that on his first trip to the US, he said meals are too big and beer is too small

And I'm pretty sure he's admitted to having been drunk during a decent portion of IM's development

Yeah

volbound1700

Smash Master
I feel like we're going to get a single reveal - I know that the past two E3s have been double reveals, but I can't think that they'd want to reveal everything right now and have nothing Smash-related to hype up for the next 3-6 months. (unless we get a third fighters pass, but so far, they've been pretty clear that this second one is the last one)
They could do a cheap way of doing a double-reveal by revealing one full character and then hinting a franchise for the second character. That way, they get the double-reveal but not do it :).

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
I can see what you’re saying, but I can’t say that it’s “connecting the dots.” A lot of people have set themselves up for disappointment. No problem in being optimistic about a character you want though.
It could happen, but I do think there are others that may be just a smidge ahead in receiving an invitation.

King Boo would definitely be unique, and I love Halloween. It’s my favorite holiday. We’ll see I suppose.
bruh its literally the only exception to the spirit board thing

SirCamp

Smash Ace
In other news...

Look at this totally cute game coming to Steam next year.
This looks so good and yet I am sitting here wondering why there are fps elements shoehorned in?? Like everything apart from that looks great, but then there random shooting action happening that looks mega out of place lol

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Judging by the responses you're getting, it seems I should leave just because the forum will be dead.
I just have a hard time imagining I'll want to keep coming here after 2-3 years of absolutely no news. That sounds like some kinda abusive relationship.

I think they should've leaned more heavily on their first-party lineup and used the budget more effectively on a few single sensible additions, but it is what it is.
And also had a completely different core gameplay mechanic.

Can't relate to this at all lmao, guess I'm just old
Some people I just like listening to them talk. And if it's them talking about a game I love, then I'm all in.

For what it's worth, all of the LPers that I watch are always pairs/groups. Because I enjoy the back and forth interaction. A solo person streaming a game, whose only interaction is with the chat, never interests me.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Earthbound really did inspire, like, twenty different games.

To be honest, I'm honestly a little sick of games like that. I get the whole appeal is the creativity as opposed to the medieval-ish fantasy stuff from most other RPGs, but at this point I'm like "put it on the pile", you know?

Noipoi

Howdy!

To be honest, I'm honestly a little sick of games like that. I get the whole appeal is the creativity as opposed to the medieval-ish fantasy stuff from most other RPGs, but at this point I'm like "put it on the pile", you know?
RPG’s can only be set in a fantasy realm or contemporary modern day.

I can’t imagine any other settings.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm leaning toward a double reveal at the moment but I'm prepared for either. The consensus seems to be "they'd be stupid not to drag the hype out through the rest of the year" but an important factor to consider is that Nintendo is, in fact, very stupid. Especially with handling stuff like DLC.
Problem with the “stupid” argument is that not “dragging out the hype” wouldn’t affect how much profit Nintendo is making off the Fighter Pass. Heck they already have made money off it back when the only character we knew about was a “unhype character” like :ultminmin. And that is what it boils down to, the little to no difference it makes when it comes to profit.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm leaning toward a double reveal at the moment but I'm prepared for either. The consensus seems to be "they'd be stupid not to drag the hype out through the rest of the year" but an important factor to consider is that Nintendo is, in fact, very stupid. Especially with handling stuff like DLC.
Even then they could release the final fighter as they did with Banjo who was revealed in June and released in September. So they'd overall still be dragging it out.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Resident Evil and Tomb Raider gave us great characters, but they also gave us tank controls, so do we really thank Resident Evil and Tomb Raider?
Yeah but tank controls aren't objectively awful lmao
I thought that was Persona?
Nah it's blatantly like Earthbound, no balancing time, relationships, etc. Just crap attempts at being wacky

I'd agree but the same applies to MetroidVanias and that's the good **** right there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom