• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
"The Demi-Fiend's home stage is the Labyrinth of Amala. Throughout the background, the various Fiends that the Demi-Fiend fought to take control of their Menorahs will make their appearance."

Super Smash Brothers Ultimate is now banned in China

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
They helped Microsoft lead the charge and back Sony into a corner on Crossplay.
That's true, and I'm not trying to avoid giving credit where credit is due, but no one had anything to lose from it to begin with. It was a bunch of nervous, money first execs standing around worried that this might cost them money somehow. Either a player moves away from your console to play, or they buy the game on your own console. Nintendo was never going to gain anything going that route. I'd honestly argue that Epic Games put more pressure on all of them than anyone else did, it was Fortnite that did it imo.

But it's also not Nintendo's MO to nickel and dime people. They have a lot of faults, but that's not one. I mean they have paid DLC and paid online now as other companies do, but they also release quite a substantial bit of free DLC, like for AC, Splatoon, ARMS, Kirby, even Smash got free modes. They also don't do microtranscations, outside their mobile stuff - which even that they seemed resistant to.
Their paid online service is... quite different, to say the least. Many would argue its bad, especially those coming off PS or Xbox's. They're still not even close to up-to-par on what should constitute as a paid online service. Free DLC is definitely a good counter argument tho, you are right there.

Scorpion or another MK getting in Smash would be the first time the series has crossed over with Street Fighter. I think that alone makes his inclusion just as big of a deal.
I still wholeheartedly disagree, in that there are a significant amount of people who would buy Smash, hell even a Switch and then Smash, for a chance to be Sora or Master Chief in Smash. I simply do not see that for a MK character.

EDIT TO AVOID DOUBLE POST: Who do you guys follow on youtube for smash speculation? I can't stand Blocked Content anymore.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Want something that'll generate discussion? No worries fam I gotcha.

He's in :bowsette:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I am going to put compilation for hint toward Master Chief.

1622610660139.png

He leaked Super Mario Maker 2, BOTW2 and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake. He leaked the date of the Feburary 2019 Direct close to a month in advance, and also leaked Boxboy for the Switch and dates multiple Indie presentations. He isn't the only leaker who hinted MCC port rumor.

I think this was before FP2 was decided. He came back and said that around time FP2 was settled.
Steve was in negotiation for long time. Who knows how similar the process is here?

Phil Spencer said he's open to bringing Gamepass to other platforms... yes even Playstation.
At least, both Nintendo and Microsoft declared that they are not competitors to each other anymore.

Jeff Grub was told that everything on Phil Spencer's shelf meant something. That includes Switch.

While some of his marks were off, he did accurately predict Gearbox acquisition and FF7 remake on PS+. This was his response to Switch on Phil Spencer's shelf.

Switch appeared during Microsoft's Game Stack event. Microsoft has hinted upcoming announcement with background items. Series S at Phil Spencer's shelf. Indiana Jones skull behind Todd Howard led to Indiana Jones game. Kojima figure leading to Xbox publishing Kojima game (This one is ongoing rumor, but still strong case).

Nintendo says these portions of an Xbox biz dev exec's deposition in EpicvApple "reflect...competitively sensitive information about negotiations between Nintendo and Microsoft."

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

View attachment 317504

He leaked Super Mario Maker 2, BOTW2 and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake. He leaked the date of the Feburary 2019 Direct close to a month in advance, and also leaked Boxboy for the Switch and dates multiple Indie presentations. He isn't the only leaker who hinted MCC port rumor.

I think this was before FP2 was decided. He came back and said that around time FP2 was settled.
Steve was in negotiation for long time. Who knows how similar the process is here?

Phil Spencer said he's open to bringing Gamepass to other platforms... yes even Playstation.
At least, both Nintendo and Microsoft declared that they are not competitors to each other anymore.

Jeff Grub was told that everything on Phil Spencer's shelf meant something. That includes Switch.

While some of his marks were off, he did accurately predict Gearbox acquisition and FF7 remake on PS+. This was his response to Switch on Phil Spencer's shelf.

Switch appeared during Microsoft's Game Stack event. Microsoft has hinted upcoming announcement with background items. Series S at Phil Spencer's shelf. Indiana Jones skull behind Todd Howard led to Indiana Jones game. Kojima figure leading to Xbox publishing Kojima game.

I mean this stuff is basically the main reason Master Chief is still largely entertained even after getting both Banjo and Steve. It just remains to be seen whether any of this is actually for Smash, or is just referring to Halo on Switch and/or continuing collaboration between MS and Nintendo.

I'm surprised you didn't include that Mario pic from the Halo insta though, even with it being pretty circumstantial.

Their paid online service is... quite different, to say the least. Many would argue its bad, especially those coming off PS or Xbox's. They're still not even close to up-to-par on what should constitute as a paid online service. Free DLC is definitely a good counter argument tho, you are right there.
No arguments here that it's an anemic offering for where an online service should be in 2021, but simply having paid online is not commensurate with charging for upres. Also keep in mind it's a third the price of the other two.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I mean this stuff is basically the main reason Master Chief is still largely entertained even after getting both Banjo and Steve. It just remains to be seen whether any of this is actually for Smash, or is just referring to Halo on Switch and/or continuing collaboration between MS and Nintendo.

I'm surprised you didn't include that Mario pic from the Halo insta though, even with it being pretty circumstantial.
I didn't include that because Halo instagram account posts fanarts time to time. It's iffy to hint toward anything.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Tut tut tut... They knew what they were doing there.

Shadowvegeta

Smash Cadet

Looks more like the Rugrats logo so this obviously means the Rugrats reboot is doing a crossover episode with Crash.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I still wholeheartedly disagree, in that there are a significant amount of people who would buy Smash, hell even a Switch and then Smash, for a chance to be Sora or Master Chief in Smash. I simply do not see that for a MK character.
I could still see people doing the same for a MK character. That series is definitely one of the most recognizable fighting game franchises up there with Street Fighter. MK representation would certainly draw attention and a lot of buzz, especially given the source material's gruesome content compared to that of Smash Bros.

Or maybe I'm just misreading your point here.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Look I don't believe in hints... and in most cases it's people stretching on things that were never hints to begin with...

but that is mad sus.

osby

Smash Obsessed

A jagged outline you say?

1622614860082.png

Hype responsibly but I think Joker might be in.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord

View attachment 317504

Switch appeared during Microsoft's Game Stack event. Microsoft has hinted upcoming announcement with background items. Series S at Phil Spencer's shelf. Indiana Jones skull behind Todd Howard led to Indiana Jones game. Kojima figure leading to Xbox publishing Kojima game (This one is ongoing rumor, but still strong case).

I'd never be so naive to say "its gotta be Chief" but I am willing to say its gotta be now or never. Problem is, a lot of this could end up being about Game Pass on Switch alone and nothing else. My fingers are very crossed though, to say the least.

I could still see people doing the same for a MK character. That series is definitely one of the most recognizable fighting game franchises up there with Street Fighter. MK representation would certainly draw attention and a lot of buzz, especially given the source material's gruesome content compared to that of Smash Bros.

Or maybe I'm just misreading your point here.
I'm not saying that there isn't anyone out there who wouldn't, its a major franchise with a lot of major fans. It would be a legitimately good and hype inclusion. I just don't have the impression that the internet as whole would react anywhere near the same scale as MC or Sora.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

View attachment 317504

No matter how close Nintendo and Microsoft are, they are not obliged to give Microsoft a character especially since they already have 2. I also very highly doubt that Nintendo uses Smash characters as any sort of bargaining chip to do business with anyone.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Scorpion or another MK getting in Smash would be the first time the series has crossed over with Street Fighter. I think that alone makes his inclusion just as big of a deal.
I mean...to 40-year-olds maybe. That's not exactly a hot rivalry these days.

A part of me still can't help but feel its gonna be Demi-Fiend revealed at E3...Dunno why...
Personally, I don't think any franchise is going to get 2 new Fighters in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

View attachment 317504

While Nintendo does have Banjo & Kazooie and Steve, It's been proven time and time again that a healthy relationship with another company does not always result in a character. You have Ubisoft who have made Mario and rabbids, put a lot of effort into the Wii U and even made a Rayman model specifically for Smash but all he got was a trophy, then some spirits, Koei Tecmo who have worked on two hyrule warriors games, helped out with Fire Emblem Three Houses which resulted in them just getting a Fatal Frame assist trophy and even Bandai Namco who's only character is Pac-Man and he only got in as a request from Shigeru Miyamoto despite the company working on Smash Bros.

As far as I'm concerned, Nintendo already got what they wanted with Steve. Banjo & Kazooie were added because Phil Spencer is a massive legend and he also talked about Banjo & Kazooie in Smash before they appeared, even doubling down on wanting to see them in Smash. I don't think I've seen much of Master Chief in Smash talk from Phil Spencer other than a "Level your expectations" comment but hey, what do I know?

I know you're not saying that Master Chief is a lock and what I've written up implies that you are but I'm too lazy to change it.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean...to 40-year-olds maybe. That's not exactly a hot rivalry these days.

Personally, I don't think any franchise is going to get 2 new Fighters in Ultimate.
Do you mean company or?

Because Persona in Smash is listed as Persona 5.

Likewise, Demi Fiend would be his own thing.

Like, the Persona franchise may be a spin-off of SMT, but it hasn't bore the SMT name in a long time, even Persona 4 Golden removed the SMT from its name. Like, it's only called "Shin Megami Tensei: Persona" in the west iirc, in Japan, they've been separate since... well the franchise's start at the first Persona game. They're two series from the same developers that share a lot of things in common, but they're entirely different franchises in every way.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Do you mean company or?
No, I mean franchise. Persona and SMT are different subseries, but they're both part of the MegaTen franchise. The same way Yoshi's Island is a different subseries than SMB, but they're both part of the Mario franchise.

They're two series from the same developers that share a lot of things in common, but they're entirely different franchises in every way.
Except in the actual, literal, way.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
No, I mean franchise. Persona and SMT are different subseries, but they're both part of the MegaTen franchise. The same way Yoshi's Island is a different subseries than SMB, but they're both part of the Mario franchise.
On the flipside though, it's strange as hell that Atlus' own mascot isn't anywhere to be found at all, be it in Joker's pass or a Spirit.

Could very well be saving a Jack Frost spirit for a SMTV spirit event but who knows.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
On the flipside though, it's strange as hell that Atlus' own mascot isn't anywhere to be found at all, be it in Joker's pass or a Spirit.

Could very well be saving a Jack Frost spirit for a SMTV spirit event but who knows.
I doubt they saved a spirit for an event that the dev team knew would be at least a year or two away back when making Joker's content

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Wasn't the SMT/ MegaTen series thingy for Persona was only a west thing?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wasn't the SMT/ MegaTen series thingy for Persona was only a west thing?
Persona never had anything to do with SMT, branding-wise, in Japan. It was always called just Persona.

Persona is a part of a larger MegaTen "series". But so is SMT itself. And Devil Summoner. And Digital Devil Saga. And Devil Survivor. You get the idea. ATLUS West used to group most of these under one umbrella but the people who make the games more or less consider these separate franchises.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
For the Persona / SMT thing, they're different series, but are connected. The first game in the series was known as "Megami Ibunroku Persona" in Japan, the same as the first Devil Survivor game. This is different from the Devil Summoner series, where the first game was specifically "Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner".

At first, Persona was just considered part of "Megami Tensei", like Shin Megami Tensei, Megami Tensei, Majin Tensei, Digital Devil Saga, etc.

But in their most recent financial reports and stuff, Persona is listed as separate from the rest of Megami Tensei, and in smash the content is exclusively (modern) Persona, with no content from the rest of Megaten.

Basically, Demi-Fiend would be from a new series as far as smash is concerned, just like Mario isn't from Donkey Kong or something.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Persona is basically an M-rated Kingdom Hearts; it's a completely separate series from what it's based on (in the latter's case, Final Fantasy), but there's still plenty of things it borrows from that bigger series.
Yeah, this describes it really well. It's based on another series, and has cameos from the main series and other subseries (namely SMT if... And Devil Summoner), but is still entirely its own thing.

I doubt it would matter that much anyway, if they want to add Demi-Fiend, they'll add him.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I had a dream where the final DLC fighter was revealed to be a composite Team Sonic Racing rep. The default character was Tails, with Shadow, Rogue, and Knuckles as alts. They were all in small, Mario Kart-like Karts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom