• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Gacha?

Did someone say gacha?

Nintendo hire this man.
Pay $40 to unlock Diddy Kong right away, or simply pay $1000 for enough Smash Dollars to have a fighting chance at rolling him. (Starting at 5% chance and then increasing by 0.1% with every roll).

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Call me crazy but I feel Sakurai had SOME kind of influence in adding Chrom, Lucina and Fiora to PXZ2

tbh if a PXZ3 happens I hope they add more characters that appeared in Smash (playable or not) or even from Smash-represented franchises

yes this includes Atlus, SNK, Square Enix and possibly even Konami

SKX31

Smash Master
I think the most interest part of speculating for the next smash is wondering what's going to stand it apart? What part of the formula is going to get switched up? You have to one up the series in some way, else it's just going to be the same but less with inevitable cuts to the roster.
It's extremely difficult since you have both games where the mechanics are "baked in" for the most part (64, Ultimate) and games where mechanics are predominantly used in ways the devs didn't intend them to be (Melee, Brawl, 4). Then again, the formula's stayed relatively consistent for 5 games, so I'm not sure if the wheel would neccessarily need to be re-invented.

That said, there are more avenues assuming more powerful hardware:

• Assist characters (Pokeball mons, ATs, what have you, limited use but on command akin to Pokken.)
  • Aerial / ground mobility changes - a more commital Mega Man X-esque dash alongside normal dashing for example. (I'm using the "Smash is a kid's toybox" logic for this).
  • Reworking the buffer system, since Ultimate's buffer system and order of priority is janky as ****.
  • Likewise, finally getting around to making sure the C Stick fully works.
  • And of course, reintroducing a couple old mechanics (with some finetuning).

And so on.

Which, will make transitioning into the next installment very awkward. There will be future Smash games, that's undeniable, but the question is, how do you go from Ultimate to the new game without alienating a ton of fans of Ultimate? That's the hard part with no real answer to.
TBF Smash has already experienced such a split in the past, so we do have something of a roadmap in regards to what will happen.

You know which split I'm referring to here.

That one was not on the same scale as the likely future splintering between those who'll keep playing Ultimate and those who'll jump into Smash 6, but it was a major fork in the road for the franchise as a whole. Hell, it has shown its aftereffects; Sakurai and co. have tried to - in their own ways - appeal to Melee players and get them to buy and play Smash 4 and Ultimate.

To get them all under the same roof (not that it entirely succeeded mind).

It's going to be extremely awkward, yes, and the likely answer (using the Melee / Brawl split as a roadmap) is going to be that Nintendo will try their damndest to appeal as many as possible. They'll try to cover the franchise cornerstones at least and then judge how many characters can be safely included in a base game without losing too much, while perhaps also having the cuts saved for later re-inclusion.

I'll additionally note that when Valve first unveiled Dota 2 at Gamescon 2011 only 47 out of Dota's 112 heroes (at the time) were even finished and playable by that unveiling - it took years for Valve to get all 112 in the game. And even then some of those shown off had weird models. Like the old version of Storm Spirit:

Which is not a perfect solution, but that tough decision is going to have to be made at one point or another.

Gacha?

Did someone say gacha?

Nintendo hire this man.
That’s a funny way of saying RPG

or even MOBA

wait, the Smash RPG already exists. It’s called Project X Zone.
I'm just waiting for the inevitable mobile sports spinoff where Nintendo decides to combine the worst of gacha and EA Sports' / 2K's model:

"TEAM OF THE SEASON WII FIT TRAINER! YOURS FOR 500K SMASHCOINS / $39.99!"

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Gacha?

Did someone say gacha?

Nintendo hire this man.
Lol yeah it would probably be something silly like that. I know a Smash RPG is an idea that has been tossed around over the years but I bet that would only have Nintendo 1st party characters in it tbh. Could also go for a smaller-scale thing with less characters and a more traditional fighting game approach.

And if that would disappoint y'all, that makes sense. No solution here is perfect unless Nintendo dumps a whole load of resources over the next couple decades to keep SSBU running til you find another favorite fighting game. Just the nature of the genre I'm afraid. But it's not the end of the world. If someone like Steve never shows up again, we'll still have gotten a good five or more years of him in this game, and that's plenty of time.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm not that worried about cuts in the next game because I'm just indifferent to a lot of the games and characters on the roster. Not that I have a problem with them, but if you removed, say, Diddy Kong or Falco, I might be surprised at the cuts but it wouldn't bother me that much. Admittedly, my tastes have been drifting away from Nintendo lately, so that probably has something to do with it...

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I mean, if all you care about is roster size, a Smash gacha would probably have, like, twice the characters of a regular Smash game at least. If I know how gachas work, that is. Which I don't.

'Cause of that, we'd probably get a whole bunch of weird deep cuts. So there's at least a bright side.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, if all you care about is roster size, a Smash gacha would probably have, like, twice the characters of a regular Smash game at least. If I know how gachas work, that is. Which I don't.

'Cause of that, we'd probably get a whole bunch of weird deep cuts. So there's at least a bright side.
Monkey's Paw

Smash gets a gacha

Monkey's Paw curls

Phone only
Not a fighting game

Ivander

Smash Legend
Another idea, Smash spin-off series. That's another way other fighting game franchises bring back old playable characters or give bigger spotlights to the less important ones of the main series!
I feel like a Nintendo-Crossover that isn't Smash can work alongside Smash Bros., like an RPG, Sports-like or whatnot. I think it'd be an opportunity for characters who'd be awkward in fighting games, but more easier to implement in another gameplay style.

I don't like the idea of a fighter with a Gacha. RPGs or whatnot, I'm okay with, but I really don't like the idea of a fighting game with a Gacha system. But a Nintendo-Crossover Gacha game does have potential, especially if it takes from not just the big series, but also the smaller series.
If planned well, a Nintendo-Crossover Gacha can serve as not just a game that smaller characters or series can have a chance, but could really serve as a big advertisement to those characters and for alot of Nintendo's smaller series. It may not get the exact same audience as Smash Bros., but if Nintendo plays to the audience that enjoys the part of Smash Bros. of being one big crossover of their favourite Nintendo characters and whatnot, it can really open up their audience to alot of characters that they could want for Smash Bros.

I mean, if Fire Emblem Heroes can make one of the most unknown, yet toughest boss characters from one of the hardest FE games that was only released in Japan a frickin' Meme legend, imagine the potential a non-Smash Bros. Nintendo Crossover game could have for lesser known characters.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’m tellin u

Project X Zone 3 with more Smash characters including Nintendo ones + Smash hopefuls

Don’t limit the Nintendo characters to FE and Xenoblade either; include Pit, Palutena, Officer Howard (currently a Spirit), Off the Hook (currently a Spirit) even Captain Falcon

that way your MW if they’re in PXZ3 can be in Smash “vicariously”

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I feel like a Nintendo-Crossover that isn't Smash can work alongside Smash Bros., like an RPG, Sports-like or whatnot. I think it'd be an opportunity for characters who'd be awkward in fighting games, but more easier to implement in another gameplay style.

I don't like the idea of a fighter with a Gacha. RPGs or whatnot, I'm okay with, but I really don't like the idea of a fighting game with a Gacha system. But a Nintendo-Crossover Gacha game does have potential, especially if it takes from not just the big series, but also the smaller series.
If planned well, a Nintendo-Crossover Gacha can serve as not just a game that smaller characters or series can have a chance, but could really serve as a big advertisement to those characters and for alot of Nintendo's smaller series. It may not get the exact same audience as Smash Bros., but if Nintendo plays to the audience that enjoys the part of Smash Bros. of being one big crossover of their favourite Nintendo characters and whatnot, it can really open up their audience to alot of characters that they could want for Smash Bros.

I mean, if Fire Emblem Heroes can make one of the most unknown, yet toughest boss characters from one of the hardest FE games that was only released in Japan a frickin' Meme legend, imagine the potential a non-Smash Bros. Nintendo Crossover game could have for lesser known characters.
time travelers when they visit the times before the nintendo gatcha and lakithunder from new super mario bros for the ds isn't the most iconic character in gaming history
1622422720800.png

(this is a very popular reaction image in the future)

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
time travelers when they visit the times before the nintendo gatcha and lakithunder from new super mario bros for the ds isn't the most iconic character in gaming history
View attachment 317197
(this is a very popular reaction image in the future)
You know what they say: every video game character has at least one person who wants them in Smash.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
If the future of Smash is to inevitably gut the roster, then at least Ultimate will always still be there... I also agree with others that the next Smash really needs to distinguish itself if said gutting takes place.

In addition to what SKX31 SKX31 said, I believe the series could benefit greatly from balancing the roster from a purely 1 v 1 perspective. Seemingly, Sakurai still believes there should be moves that are only useful in a FFA scenario, but I honestly don't think casuals would care very much about this. If they really want to hold on to laggy moves, they can always bring back customization which could also be used to enrich competition. Just make the custom moves balanced and available from the start this time!

I can only hope that they don't do something horrible like add Crash in the next game while also cutting Banjo & Kazooie. Please don't tear my soul apart Nintendo...

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I've seen a lot of people talk about how they hope the next Smash, or the Smash series from now on, just builds upon Ultimate and never cuts anyone ever again.

To those people I want to say... Please, if the next Smash doesn't do that, just stick to Ultimate. I really don't want a repeat of the Melee crowd wanting every single Smash game to be Melee again, until they realized that they would keep playing Melee anyway. If you can't go back to any game with cuts, you'll always be able to come back to Ultimate for whatever character gets the axe.

I know in a way it's inevitable that the fandom splits again after this between the people who blame every veteran for their most wanted not getting in and the ones that curse Sakurai's name because Young Link didn't return, but still. I can already see the fandom wars brewing and... Is it possible to be tired of something just by imagining it? Sure feels that way.

Personally I care about the new content more than the returning, and I know that I wouldn't even notice if a chunk of Ultimate's veterans weren't there. "Everyone is Here" was fantastic but it didn't come without its drawbacks and I'd be more critical of the shortcomings that would arise in any future entry that repeated it.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
To those people I want to say... Please, if the next Smash doesn't do that, just stick to Ultimate.
I think the biggest problem to this solution would simply be Nintendo's stubborn refusal to make the majority of their library available on their modern systems and sticking to the "Disney Vault" model. Even if they have less characters, a lot of people do sometimes get the urge/curiousity to play the earlier games in the series again for various reasons, but alas, there's hardware degradation and $200+ pricetags in the way.

So yeah, I can see your point of view, but Nintendo always creates more problems with their stubbornness. Who knows how many Switches will still be working in 20+ years? The Joy Cons are already a mess now with their drifting.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Even the likes of Yandere-chan from yandere Simulator, Beck from Mighty Number 9, Balan from Balan Wonderland, and Alex from YIIK?
Yandere Sim has a group of fans, I think I've seen people say they like Beck more for his crossover appearances than his appearance in MN9, someone in this very thread likes Balan Wonderworld, and I actually know someone who is inexplicably a YIIK fan.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Imagine a Smash Cinematic Universe though...

With the human characters I can only imagine some based castings such as

:ultsnake: - David Hayter
:ultsimon: - Chris Hemsworth
:ult_terry:- Brad Pitt
:ultfalcon:- Patrick Warburton
:ultpalutena:- Demi Moore
:ultlink: - Orlando Bloom
I could add on when I get ideas

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yandere Sim has a group of fans, I think I've seen people say they like Beck more for his crossover appearances than his appearance in MN9, someone in this very thread likes Balan Wonderworld, and I actually know someone who is inexplicably a YIIK fan.
It me. I like Balan Wonderworld.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think the biggest problem to this solution would simply be Nintendo's stubborn refusal to make the majority of their library available on their modern systems and sticking to the "Disney Vault" model. Even if they have less characters, a lot of people do sometimes get the urge/curiousity to play the earlier games in the series again for various reasons, but alas, there's hardware degradation and $200+ pricetags in the way.

So yeah, I can see your point of view, but Nintendo always creates more problems with their stubbornness. Who knows how many Switches will still be working in 20+ years? The Joy Cons are already a mess now with their drifting.
With this in mind, if this is the case, the only solution is emulation

and you know how much Nintendo hates emulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom