• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
With E3 coming in the next two weeks, and it seeming pretty likely that we'll get at least one Smash Bros. character revealed, what are your ideal picks for the last two, and your most realistic picks?

I've already posted my ideal line-up before:

Crash and Dante would both be great inclusions in my eyes, though I have Dante before Crash to avoid a repeat of Bayonetta where she was released at the very end and they didn't have a lot of time to release balance patches. I also have Coco as an echo fighter for Crash since she basically acts that way in her games, and it would get the game's roster to 90 characters.

Both of those characters seem like they'd be pretty big deals (Crash more than Dante, but getting Dante in Smash seems like it would still be an exciting moment), though historically speaking, Smash rarely ends on big exciting announcements. Usually, it tends to have really exciting characters at the start and/or around the middle and finish off with characters that people are less excited about. That's not always the case, I don't recall a ton of cases (whether it's for the base game content or DLC) where they finished off the reveals with the "big guns".

In an attempt to be more realistic, I'm guessing that they're going to go with a third party character/franchise that's popular, but not up there with Master Chief or Crash, and a Nintendo character - possibly trying to promote a game, though maybe they've learned their lesson from Corrin and aren't going to do that any more when it comes to wrapping up DLC line-ups.

My attempt at being realistic is this:

Maybe that's still too optimistic (for all I know, they could go with the avatar character from Fire Emblem Heroes, or another Pokemon), but rumours have been flying around for a while about a new Donkey Kong game (it was either Dixie or Bandanna Waddle Dee, and Sakurai seems determined to mainly focus on games he directed when it comes to Kirby), so I could see it happening.

If you had to make an ideal pick and a realistic pick for the final two, who would they be?
I honestly find your ideal lineup more realistic than your "realistic" one.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
About the MOBA genre though,

sure Blizzard started it.

But with LoL?
That game REVOLUTIONIZED ESports.
Grumbles in "The game's rivalry with Dota 2 is what got the ball rolling - and Riot started to push for more when they saw what Valve was doing." :roll:
Pretty much - when I think of Esports as they are today, the first genres that come to mind are shooters and MOBAs.

Which is kinda funny because as of now neither are present in Smash. :roll:

Vai or Voe?
YES.

Mfw I wanted the thread to get out of horny jail just a few minutes ago.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
With E3 coming in the next two weeks, and it seeming pretty likely that we'll get at least one Smash Bros. character revealed, what are your ideal picks for the last two, and your most realistic picks?

Crash and Dante would both be great inclusions in my eyes, though I have Dante before Crash to avoid a repeat of Bayonetta where she was released at the very end and they didn't have a lot of time to release balance patches. I also have Coco as an echo fighter for Crash since she basically acts that way in her games, and it would get the game's roster to 90 characters.

Both of those characters seem like they'd be pretty big deals (Crash more than Dante, but getting Dante in Smash seems like it would still be an exciting moment), though historically speaking, Smash rarely ends on big exciting announcements. Usually, it tends to have really exciting characters at the start and/or around the middle and finish off with characters that people are less excited about. That's not always the case, I don't recall a ton of cases (whether it's for the base game content or DLC) where they finished off the reveals with the "big guns".

In an attempt to be more realistic, I'm guessing that they're going to go with a third party character/franchise that's popular, but not up there with Master Chief or Crash, and a Nintendo character - possibly trying to promote a game, though maybe they've learned their lesson from Corrin and aren't going to do that any more when it comes to wrapping up DLC line-ups.

Maybe that's still too optimistic (for all I know, they could go with the avatar character from Fire Emblem Heroes, or another Pokemon), but rumours have been flying around for a while about a new Donkey Kong game (it was either Dixie or Bandanna Waddle Dee, and Sakurai seems determined to mainly focus on games he directed when it comes to Kirby), so I could see it happening.

If you had to make an ideal pick and a realistic pick for the final two, who would they be?

(I figure it's best to not go into "pessimistic picks" or "worst case scenarios", since what's disappointing for one person might be another person's most wanted character(s), so that seems like it would just lead to arguments)
Ideal: Ahri and KOS-MOS
Realistic: any combo of Octoling, Reimu, Ahri or Crash
Bahaha it’s impossible now :crying: : Neku and Elma

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My ideal picks would be the Battletoads and Zegram Ghart.

More realistically, I think Dixie Kong and Diablo would be cool.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I honestly have no idea if E3 will reveal just FP10 or both FP10/11, because there's a reasonable argument based on precedent for both.

The second Fighter's Pass has been incredibly consistent about making sure that the characters' reveals, presentations, and releases are all within a narrow timeframe. Not counting the ARMS guessing game, Min Min was revealed in her Sakurai Presents and was released a week later. Steve had his presentation two days after his reveal, then it was 11 days until his release. Sephiroth's presentation and (early) release were exactly a week after his reveal. Pyra had the longest period between reveal and presentation with 15 days, but she was also released on the same day as her presentation.

If this pattern holds, then we're most likely just getting FP10 revealed at E3, unless both FP10 and FP11 were developed in such a way that they could be released simultaneously. Then again, as multiple people have already pointed out, we've never gotten fewer than two newcomers during an E3 with Smash before.

So, my answer to this debate is a big fat "I dunno".
The quick turnaround was also a function of Covid wherein there were no general presentations. You can see as much play out with Pyra, when Directs returned and there was a larger gap between reveal and release. Now that we’re in the stage of big presentations being back on track, we’ll likely be returning to the reveal style that previously accompanied them.

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman

(I figure it's best to not go into "pessimistic picks" or "worst case scenarios", since what's disappointing for one person might be another person's most wanted character(s), so that seems like it would just lead to arguments)
Ideal Picks: Amaterasu and Master Chief

Realistic Picks: Chosen Undead and Phoenix Wright

NinJeds

Smash Rookie

Ideal Picks: Crash and Frisk.

Realistic Picks: I...don’t know honestly.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
the dream: scorpion, ryu hayabusa

the reality: scorpion, baboom

If I'm not ride-or-die with Scorpion then I'm just a coward. :4jigglypuff:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

My realistic prediction is incredibly loose and very unspecific

A SEGA character/a character on the more obscure side but still popular a la Sol, Saber or Yuri and A "Big Character" be that Crash or Chief.

My Ideal is Estelle and Crash

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
LoL has been the biggest for some time now but let’s not be revisionists here. Starcraft was the game that revolutionized e-sports with Brood War, so it really was Blizzard who started it all.
While that's true, I do believe Gil was reffering to when E-Sports as a sub-section of the gaming industry started to gain more prominence. Before say 2011 - Valve's big time unveiling of Dota 2 at Gamescon - and Riot's response to that (which consisted of "raise the stakes!"), E-Sports was much more niché outside of Korea. Brood War and games like Counter Strike / the original Dota / FGC (incl. Smash) laid a lot of the foundations, but it was post-2011 when things started to take off in a more noticeable manner and tournaments started to be held at major concert / sport arenas more frequently.

It's noticeable with Smash too: yes, whether Smash should be a competitive game or not was one of the biggest conflicts within the fandom during the 2000s, but the growth spurred by Dota 2's / LoL's rivalry lead to a corresponding increase in interest for competitive Smash. As evidenced by Melee being fundraised for EVO 2013 (and the ensuing ****storm when Nintendo tried to shut it down) and the Invitational Nintendo held as a preview for Smash 4 (which they repeated with Ultimate, even if those two tried to mix casual and more competitive rulesets).

Dream: Dota 2 pick, Master Chief.
Realistic: I'm sticking to Arle and Adol as the realistic (as razor-sharp as it is, I could see a lot of characters as realistic characters).

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Ideal: A 3-in-1 challenger pack of individual Activision fighters Crash, Spyro, and Gill Grunt; and ... idk man maybe Chief, Kratos, Red, Hayabusa? lol

Realistic: Honestly? Crash/Rayman and Hayabusa. Still idk lmao
2 3rd parties, one western and one eastern.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

My ideal pass is also my realistic pass... we're all going to be wrong anyway.

Fighter Pass 2 most likely final small.png

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
the most realistic two on my wishlist are porky and a deltarune rep, unfortunately
my pie-in-the-sky idealistic fantasy scenario would be midna and krystal escaping Assist Jail to become playable, and then one of the previous two gets in as the rumored bonus character

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Ideally, by some miracle, I get both Chorus Kids and Arle.

Realistically, I think it will be some Sega character (could still be Arle, I also think Tails is feasible) and Master Chief. Which honestly is still a really good result.

I think I’ll end up being satisfied in some capacity, I’m not that hard to please.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Ideal: Phoenix Wright and Kazuma Kiryu
Realistic: Octolings and a Namco rep, dunno who but I feel like they're overdue to be repped in DLC

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Ideal: Eggman and Bandana Waddle Dee
Ideal 2: Crash and Sora
Realistic: A 3rd party and a 1st party

Technomage

Smash Champion

New PapaGenos video, y'all.
See you guys in 30.
We've already been through that, and the answer is it does NOT hint at Crash for Smash. Here's the wiki article on the rumor for the gist of it:

inb4 Amy and Jonesy
Sounds fine to me, to be honest.

Last edited:

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
Ideal: Leon Kennedy and Crash

Realistic: Any two of Dr Eggman, Yuri Lowell, Arle, Phoenix Wright, Ryu Hayabusa, Solaire, Ayumi, or a PSO character

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I honestly find your ideal lineup more realistic than your "realistic" one.
That's fair; I just figure that we probably aren't going to end on a huge third party character like Crash or Master Chief. (maybe we could get one for CP10, but I'm not sure)

Then again, my predictions have generally been wrong in the past; I'm guessing that only one of those four characters (Dante, Crash, Sol Badguy, Dixie Kong) will get in at best, and even that seems generous given my track record. (I figured we'd get Edelgard, Dimitri, or Claude instead of Byleth, I thought that Banjo and Bayonetta wouldn't happen even though they'd be amazing picks, I thought that we might get Terry eventually though we'd get a Tekken character first, and I thought that Square-Enix wouldn't double up on Final Fantasy characters)

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

This pretty much kills any bonus fighter rumors. CP11 is truly going to be the end.
Video version.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Ideal would probably be Crash & Amaterasu.

Realistic? I'll go with Eggman & a Pokémon rep of some type.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

volbound1700

Smash Master
That’s not true. It was based on a gap between the numbering of the pages on the New Zealand’s Nintendo eShop website’s listing of FP2 DLC. There was a space between what would be CP11 and the Mii Costume that came with the fighter pass and some people thought that could mean there was supposed to be an extra dlc something to fill that spot. Unless you’re talking about something else
I was referring to something on the Nintendo Website for NZ. I must have been off. Thank you for clearing this up. The eShop is something entirely different.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Ideal line-up:
Hayabusa
Bill Rizer/Lance Bean

Realistic line-up:
Hayabusa
Someone I don't care about

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
New games added to Switch Online today.

I wonder if they’re setting the stage for a new NSO service at E3. N64? GC?

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
You say that like it's a bad thing?

Amy would be fun and Jonesy would be hilarious and could also bring some fun gameplay.

They would both bring fantastic music

I don't know about Jonesy since I know jack squat about Fortnite, but Amy would probably secretly be really fun.

Make her like Sonic Battle. She uses the boxing gloves for basic punches and then whips out the Piko Piko Hammer for specials and Smash attacks. A medium-weight fighter with occasional heavy attacks, like a mashup of Mario and Dedede. Dedede's Smash attacks on Mario's body, while still super versatile.

And she'd have a stage and music unlike any of the Sonic content that's already in the game (unless they wanna go with Palmtree Panic in which case basically another Green Hill).

Amy is secretly cool. I say let her in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom