• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That has lead me to an idea of a double reveal/finale: Freddy Fazbear and Reimu Hakurei!

I added Freddy because FNAF, like Touhou, has AAAAAAA LLLLLLOOOOOTTTTT of fan games (to the point that its creator has even given support and funding the the most notable ones).
Oh yeah, the dev's like the West's answer to ZUN in terms of how lax he is with fanworks. On the other hand, he did say there were no FNAF crossovers planned for the time being, and Smash would probably count under that banner, so...

Technomage

Smash Champion
Oh yeah, the dev's like the West's answer to ZUN in terms of how lax he is with fanworks. On the other hand, he did say there were no FNAF crossovers planned for the time being, and Smash would probably count under that banner, so...
When did he say that? If it was before November 2019, then there might have been a chance that Scott changed his mind. How plausible would that be?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Corrin and Bayonetta didn’t both release in December for 4 even though they were revealed in the same month, iirc

could be the case here as well
Well this time the Fighter Pass model exists, plus all characters have been released within weeks of their announcements since Byleth, likely due to COVID.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Corrin and Bayonetta didn’t both release in December for 4 even though they were revealed in the same month, iirc

could be the case here as well
They were both released the same day in February.

However that means nothing for Ultimate. Hero and Banjo were both revealed at E3, and we got one of them three months later, the other a month later.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Freddy in Smash is one of those things that's just such a bad idea that I find myself totally down for it. Like, **** it, sure.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Why are we legitimately talking about Kat? Like, she's my favorite video game character ever but like...its never happening.
Because someone said that Gravity Rush is one of Sakurai's favorite games, which would (allegedly) increase Kat's chances of entering Smash, especially as its grand finale.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, anything could happen with E3 and Nintendo wanting to give the biggest hitters.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Because someone said that Gravity Rush is one of Sakurai's favorite games, which would (allegedly) increase Kat's chances of entering Smash, especially as its grand finale.
Didn’t the studio close and the producer leave Sony tho?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh right, I forgot about that; now I don't see Kat happening at all.
...and ngl, this is why I also fear for the future of Project X Zone even though the producer is still there but is with Bamco. The creators and programmers (all with Monolith) left...

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
In terms of the new Sakurai interview, I will say that if there is a bonus, I doubt he would spoil it in his column. I think this is a sure fire death knell to FP 3 at this point. After him repeating his word on this for so long, I think that we will likely get very minimal content from this point onward.

So, after we stop getting characters, what's left? Well, I think that development on big new content is obviously done. No more characters, stages, etc. There is really only two kinds of "content" I think we will even get after development ends: Spirit Events and Balance Patches. Spirit Events are easy advertising that you can push forward relatively easily, so I could see them being done still as the amount of manpower compared to anything else is much much less. As for balance changes, Nintendo as...difficult as they can be towards the smash competitive scene still wants Smash to be a thing. If there are pressing balance issues, I could see them getting touched.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If all the fighters are planned out for the specific challenger pack, why, WHY, WOULD THEY SAVE LLOYD FOR LAST
Why not? SOMEBODY has to be last. Why shouldn't it be Lloyd?

Honestly if we get a 2nd SNK character that isn’t Fio or Nakoruru I’ll probably lose it and forehead flick my cat
Fio in a Metal Slug. But you are correct.

This pretty much kills any bonus fighter rumors. CP11 is truly going to be the end.
Final Announcement: "Smash Ultimate Deluxe for the Super Switch, coming 2022. Look forward Fighter's Pass 1."

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I'm really 50/50 on whether we get one or two reveals this E3. It honestly could just go either way.
I agree.

I will say this, although Smash will be big news, the Legend of Zelda BOTW2 will probably be the showcase of the presentation. We might get a BOTW2 character for Smash, it seems highly likely. I just hope it isn't another Link/Zelda/Ganon character but rather a unique character. Impa would be nice.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
This is far, far from breaking news, but there really is a trend if you look at all of the Ultimate trailers.
The first-party reveals - aside from K. Rool which was a gag fakeout - aren't shy about showing who the character is straight up. They know we know, so suspense isn't the point. Fans of that series get satisfied and everyone else is "oh, okay".
The third-party reveals - aside from Joker where the point was that Smash wasn't expected to appear - all have that big moment where the identity is revealed. They are very much crafted around getting that "WHAT? HOLY ****" reaction.

Based on that, I think that if there is another Nintendo character, they'll get them out of the way first and despite the supposed reputation, the guest character will be the closer.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
On the topic of coming soon presentations, here's your reminder that in about five hours, we'll be getting the Dragon Quest 35th anniversary livestream! Lots of speculation of a remake of an old game or even Dragon Quest XII... 👀

Ah and also if you haven't yet, play Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition on the Nintendo Switch family of systems. Best role-playing game of the decade babyyyyyyy

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
The leak was simple based on an extra "Page" of Announcements for Smash. That might be the announcement. We are still not sure it is a character, it is just a page missing in the file. It could also literally be nothing.
That’s not true. It was based on a gap between the numbering of the pages on the New Zealand’s Nintendo eShop website’s listing of FP2 DLC. There was a space between what would be CP11 and the Mii Costume that came with the fighter pass and some people thought that could mean there was supposed to be an extra dlc something to fill that spot. Unless you’re talking about something else

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm not going to pay attention to any leaks until E3 is actually here, and the presentation is like <48 hours away. I'll consider anything in the meantime absolutely wrong and meaningless because that's what it usually boils down to.

Maybe Shinobi will tell us to have a smashing time on a random ass character support thread who knows :bowsette:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Will I mean, yeah, if you word it like that, then of course nobody would believe it. Bidoof isn't so much 'featured' (implying he's the focus of the cover art) as he is simply apart of it.

That's like showing this picture and saying its a bounty featuring Usopp
This is clearly just the gripping of one who is unable or unwilling to accept Bidoof's new role as the series' mascot :4pacman:

Not in America lol.

ESRB takes a much bigger box than CERO it appears.

Rohan was right all along:

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 3.29.47 PM.png

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Y'all, they could change things up a bit and have CP11 be someone big. Maybe they learned something from how some fans perceived Byleth's reveal.
I’ve had an idea that maybe Pythra was the final reveal, but they bumped them up earlier in the development schedule to avoid another Byleth fiasco.

KillerCage

Smash Master
not immediately related to smash but STOP THE PRESSES
RCS IS BACK AS SONIC BABY
Hopefully Smith will get better writers.

Still kinda wish we got a new actor though.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I honestly have no idea if E3 will reveal just FP10 or both FP10/11, because there's a reasonable argument based on precedent for both.

The second Fighter's Pass has been incredibly consistent about making sure that the characters' reveals, presentations, and releases are all within a narrow timeframe. Not counting the ARMS guessing game, Min Min was revealed in her Sakurai Presents and was released a week later. Steve had his presentation two days after his reveal, then it was 11 days until his release. Sephiroth's presentation and (early) release were exactly a week after his reveal. Pyra had the longest period between reveal and presentation with 15 days, but she was also released on the same day as her presentation.

If this pattern holds, then we're most likely just getting FP10 revealed at E3, unless both FP10 and FP11 were developed in such a way that they could be released simultaneously. Then again, as multiple people have already pointed out, we've never gotten fewer than two newcomers during an E3 with Smash before.

So, my answer to this debate is a big fat "I dunno".

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
With E3 coming in the next two weeks, and it seeming pretty likely that we'll get at least one Smash Bros. character revealed, what are your ideal picks for the last two, and your most realistic picks?

I've already posted my ideal line-up before:

Crash and Dante would both be great inclusions in my eyes, though I have Dante before Crash to avoid a repeat of Bayonetta where she was released at the very end and they didn't have a lot of time to release balance patches. I also have Coco as an echo fighter for Crash since she basically acts that way in her games, and it would get the game's roster to 90 characters.

Both of those characters seem like they'd be pretty big deals (Crash more than Dante, but getting Dante in Smash seems like it would still be an exciting moment), though historically speaking, Smash rarely ends on big exciting announcements. Usually, it tends to have really exciting characters at the start and/or around the middle and finish off with characters that people are less excited about. That's not always the case, I don't recall a ton of cases (whether it's for the base game content or DLC) where they finished off the reveals with the "big guns".

In an attempt to be more realistic, I'm guessing that they're going to go with a third party character/franchise that's popular, but not up there with Master Chief or Crash, and a Nintendo character - possibly trying to promote a game, though maybe they've learned their lesson from Corrin and aren't going to do that any more when it comes to wrapping up DLC line-ups.

My attempt at being realistic is this:

Maybe that's still too optimistic (for all I know, they could go with the avatar character from Fire Emblem Heroes, or another Pokemon), but rumours have been flying around for a while about a new Donkey Kong game (it was either Dixie or Bandanna Waddle Dee, and Sakurai seems determined to mainly focus on games he directed when it comes to Kirby), so I could see it happening.

If you had to make an ideal pick and a realistic pick for the final two, who would they be?

(I figure it's best to not go into "pessimistic picks" or "worst case scenarios", since what's disappointing for one person might be another person's most wanted character(s), so that seems like it would just lead to arguments)

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
With E3 coming in the next two weeks, and it seeming pretty likely that we'll get at least one Smash Bros. character revealed, what are your ideal picks for the last two, and your most realistic picks?

I've already posted my ideal line-up before:

Crash and Dante would both be great inclusions in my eyes, though I have Dante before Crash to avoid a repeat of Bayonetta where she was released at the very end and they didn't have a lot of time to release balance patches. I also have Coco as an echo fighter for Crash since she basically acts that way in her games, and it would get the game's roster to 90 characters.

Both of those characters seem like they'd be pretty big deals (Crash more than Dante, but getting Dante in Smash seems like it would still be an exciting moment), though historically speaking, Smash rarely ends on big exciting announcements. Usually, it tends to have really exciting characters at the start and/or around the middle and finish off with characters that people are less excited about. That's not always the case, I don't recall a ton of cases (whether it's for the base game content or DLC) where they finished off the reveals with the "big guns".

In an attempt to be more realistic, I'm guessing that they're going to go with a third party character/franchise that's popular, but not up there with Master Chief or Crash, and a Nintendo character - possibly trying to promote a game, though maybe they've learned their lesson from Corrin and aren't going to do that any more.

My attempt at being realistic is this:

Maybe that's still too optimistic (for all I know, they could go with the avatar character from Fire Emblem Heroes, or another Pokemon), but rumours have been flying around for a while about a new Donkey Kong game (it was either Dixie or Bandanna Waddle Dee, and Sakurai seems determined to mainly focus on games he directed when it comes to Kirby), so I could see it happening.

If you had to make an ideal pick and a realistic pick for the final two, who would they be?
Ideal picks: Crash and Eggman

Realistic: Master Chief and Ayumi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom