• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
I mean, Shadow of the Colossus is a highly acclaimed game.............I wish Wander had even a sliver of a chance.
Shadow of the Colossus music in Smash would be so amazing. Yeah it seems really unlikely though because even if Sony was willing to play ball it would likely be a larger franchise that makes it in.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Bidoof is finally getting the respect it deserves.

Imagine telling someone "the next non-remake, mainline Pokemon game's boxart will feature Bidoof on the cover" four months ago and being right.
Not in America lol.

ESRB takes a much bigger box than CERO it appears.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
With this seemingly being it for Smash Ultimate & maybe even Sakurai’s time on the series, do you guys think we could see another “Sakurai pick” like Joker & Terry?

I’m not really sure who it could be but I think there’s a good chance that could happen.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
With this seemingly being it for Smash Ultimate & maybe even Sakurai’s time on the series, do you guys think we could see another “Sakurai pick” like Joker & Terry?

I’m not really sure who it could be but I think there’s a good chance that could happen.
2B?

Ha ha...As if that'll ever happen...

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

I will die on the thought that Porky is going to be the last character of the pass and was meant to be Sakurai's choice from the start.

Will it happen? Maybe, probably not.

But I'll have this hope until the end.

SKX31

Smash Master
You forgot that Tencent allowed Nintendo to add Terry to Smash, and for a cheap price.
SharkLord is right. Zhuge has the acquisition paper from when SNK's founder Kawasaki sold 81 % of SNK (for $63,5 million) in 2015:

SNK was sold to two corps: 37 Games, a mobile / browser game dev that has mostly been content with selling their games in China / SEA, and Orient Securities, a investment bank and brokering firm in Shanghai with ties to the state-owned oil company Shenergy Group. I'm pretty sure that those two were involved in the background when SNK talked with Nintendo about Smash.

The paper Zhuge has was obscure though, and SNK did cooperate a lot with Tencent (even if Tencent never bought a single % of SNK) so the confusion is understandable. Tencent was not involved with Terry though.

Since then, SNK have had several connections to Mohammed Bin Salman (the Saudi crown prince) and in 2020 MBS moved to buy a controlling stake in SNK through the MiSK Foundation (presumably by buying out a lot of 37's and OS' shares). Which MBS and MiSK secured earlier this year and now MiSK control 50 % of SNK.

2B?

2B, or not 2B, that is the question. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
I don't think it'll be Sakurai's FINAL time on the series, since he has about three decades before he either dies naturally or becomes a decrepit and senile old-timer (leaving him plenty of time to make another Smash game, even if not immediately after Ultimate).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

First off, “Sakurai’s time on the series” is taken out of context. He briefly considered retiring early but has decided to keep making games after Ultimate and the columns end. Which, I imagine, includes another Smash game itself.

second, my Sakurai Pick candidates include Reimu (shmups are what inspired Sakurai to develop games), KOS-MOS (idk why I just feel this), Ayumi Tachibana (was considered TWICE for past Smash games) aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand ... idk who else

Pillow

Smash Lord
Joker, Hero and Byleth in Pass 1 says hi.
They weren't back to back reveals, and Joker is pretty far removed from the standard fantasy swordie archetype despite being a JRPG character.

Sakurai has mentioned that he enjoyed Half Life 2....

Yet Chosen Undead is alright because he's realisitc yeah ok
I bet you think Lloyd Irving steals from children and huffs farts in his spare time.

Do you see how stupid it looks when someone makes toxic declarative statements without basis?

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Father Balder from Bayonetta would be perfect for a trailer with both Galeem and Dharkon. He’s powerful enough to break Gomorrah’s neck and make another one of Bayonetta’s demons explode with a force field, and as a Lumen Sage he allies himself with light based angels and God.

He’d advertise Bayonetta 3 as well.

Last edited:

Sephirothorsomethingidk

Smash Apprentice
Spam
They weren't back to back reveals, and Joker is pretty far removed from the standard fantasy swordie archetype despite being a JRPG character.

Sakurai has mentioned that he enjoyed Half Life 2....

I bet you think Lloyd Irving steals from children and huffs farts in his spare time.

Do you see how stupid it looks when someone makes toxic declarative statements without basis?
?

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Father Balder from Bayonetta would be perfect for a trailer with both Galeem and Dharkon. He’s powerful enough to break Gomorrah’s neck and make another one of Bayonetta’s demons explode with a force field, and as a Lumen Sage he allies himself with light based angels and God.
Sure, Father Balder is cool...

But what about Father Baldest?

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Continuing on my Eggman idea, what character would be a great pick for killing both gods (especially while also fixing Eggy's screwup)?
what about Tabuu? the square enix guys may have broken the puppets, but now they'll have to face the one that was pulling their strings...

I will die on the thought that Porky is going to be the last character of the pass and was meant to be Sakurai's choice from the start.

pleeeeeeeeeeease this. he and Ridley would bookend things nicely, as prominent villains and former Smash bosses (and also the two additions i'd be most excited for)

Pillow

Smash Lord
what about Tabuu? the square enix guys may have broken the puppets, but now they'll have to face the one that was pulling their strings...

pleeeeeeeeeeease this. he and Ridley would bookend things nicely, as prominent villains and former Smash bosses (and also the two additions i'd be most excited for)
A trailer involving Tabuu that coincide with a WoL expansion or new mode would be pretty cool. Probably not very likely, but cool.

2B?

I still consider her chances to be pretty good, personally

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Again, let’s keep things civil. Attacking others doesn’t make productive conversation.

On the topic of a “Sakurai pick”, I’m not really sure who could fit. Probably someone who influenced him in some way.
FPS-wise, Sakurai is a huge fan of Halo and Half-Life. He played Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 and talked about how he loved their respective stories and gameplay.

Master Chief's been talked about frequently lately.
Don't sleep on Gordon, y'all.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
2B?

People said the same thing about Joker. 👀

Hmmm... I could see this. Sakurai does seem to love the Mother series given all of the content it has in Smash.

First off, “Sakurai’s time on the series” is taken out of context. He briefly considered retiring early but has decided to keep making games after Ultimate and the columns end. Which, I imagine, includes another Smash game itself.

second, my Sakurai Pick candidates include Reimu (shmups are what inspired Sakurai to develop games), KOS-MOS (idk why I just feel this), Ayumi Tachibana (was considered TWICE for past Smash games) aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand ... idk who else
Oh, I know that. I’m certain he’s going to develop a new game fairly soon after Ultimate ends. But maybe this is his swan song for the Smash series as he sets his sights on new ideas & projects.

Out of your picks I think Ayumi makes sense. If we get a SHMUP rep that’s also a Sakurai pick, it’d probably be someone from the 80s instead of Reimu.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

This pretty much kills any bonus fighter rumors. CP11 is truly going to be the end.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

This pretty much kills any bonus fighter rumors. CP11 is truly going to be the end.
So then, Final Presentation of the last ones at E3? I’m calling it. Maybe they’ll both release in June too

Technomage

Smash Champion

Oh cool, it'd be a great opportunity for a bombshell ending.

Pillow

Smash Lord
FPS-wise, Sakurai is a huge fan of Halo and Half-Life. He played Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 and talked about how he loved their respective stories and gameplay.

Master Chief's been talked about frequently lately.
Don't sleep on Gordon, y'all.
Sakurai has also discussed Doom before too. Though I think people are over emphasizing how much Sakurai might favor a game, just because he's praised / played it in the past. I believe Terry was a very special pick to Sakurai, and KoF has been cited as a major inspiration for Smash, and I don't think other characters are comparable to that.

A real bummer, but this was always the expectation

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

So double reveal then in a few weeks?

cashregister9

Smash Hero

I mean to be fair, He has basically said this verbatim since FPass 2 started and if there was a secret extra fighter or a 3rd pass he wouldn't reveal it in a random column.

Is this me clinging on to false hope? Ye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom