• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I mean, if Nintendo want to go for a gacha game that isn't banned in Europe, there is Genshin Impact as a possibility.
I'm starting to believe the characters for BOTH passes were locked in by E3 2018, so I'm not sure if Nintendo would know about Genshin by then. This is one area where Dragalia Lost has a point in its favor, being a Nintendo game, they would definitely know it exists before June 2018.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Thoughts on this video?

no lie, waluigi is (at least as far as the remainder of this Fighter's Pass is concerned) my very least wanted addition

Pokemon Company and GameFreak putting non-main series Pokemon content in Smash as a character?
View attachment 316450
Which does make me sad, Pokemon Colosseum and XD content not being in Smash hurts.
right?! colosseum, battle revolution, and mystery dungeon deserve at least some music in the game, if not other content on top of that. Mt Battle or Main Street Colosseum would have made for an amazing stage, and as plenty of people have mentioned i wouldn't turn down a fighter from mystery dungeon - i've only played the first one unfortunately but i'd trade Greninja, Incineroar, or anything from Galar for Grovyle any day

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean, if Nintendo want to go for a gacha game that isn't banned in Europe, there is Genshin Impact as a possibility.
If it turned out Nintendo and MiHoYo somehow set up a deal for Genshin in Smash before the game even released I'd burst out laughing from the start of the trailer to the end. Not that I'd have a problem with it, mind you, but that would be the single biggest surprise of the cycle, and that's saying something/

Dukefire

Smash Master
I can say that either picks that a lot of people are focusing on or the sleeper picks may have blind us on what character(s) Sakurai focused on.

Theories, "leaks" and Speculation can only pass the time and even few correctly guess the unknown.

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, comparing Dragalia Lost and Uma Musume is like saying that Mario Strikers is a bad game because it didnt do Madden and Fifa level of sales.
One is targeted to a small niche demographic
The other to the most normie **** in said country with how big Horse Racing and Idols are in Japan.
Yeah, that's fair. But even so, other Cygames properties like Granblue Fantasy, Princess Connect and Shadowverse are all seemingly doing better than Dragalia Lost. DL doesn't seem very popular, but I guess Nintendo could decide to add a character to Smash as a way to boost its popularity. We'll see.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
no lie, waluigi is (at least as far as the remainder of this Fighter's Pass is concerned) my very least wanted addition
Waluigi being the only AT to have a chance is extremely overrated IMO, and I'm not just saying this because "durr he can't fill out a challenger pack he'd have to have a bunch of waluigis as spirits and that'd be dumb". If the goal with FP2 is to revisit scrapped plans from before 2018, that's not really good news for Waluigi, since the overwhelming demand is from...2018.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Only X weeks until Nintendo's E3 presentation, practically to the minute! I have conflicting information on if it's two or three weeks away, but it's a clean number

SKX31

Smash Master
If it turned out Nintendo and MiHoYo somehow set up a deal for Genshin in Smash before the game even released I'd burst out laughing from the start of the trailer to the end. Not that I'd have a problem with it, mind you, but that would be the single biggest surprise of the cycle, and that's saying something/
In b4 Sakurai advertises Honkai Impact 3rd in the Sakurai Presents Genshin Impact, saying he discovered it when watching his favorite Anime youtubers and is the main reason why GI got in :4pacman:.

Also, in miscellaneous news:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah, that's fair. But even so, other Cygames properties like Granblue Fantasy, Princess Connect and Shadowverse are all seemingly doing better than Dragalia Lost. DL doesn't seem very popular, but I guess Nintendo could decide to add a character to Smash as a way to boost its popularity. We'll see.
I think the main thing going for Dragalia over it's competition is the fact that standards for first-parties seem to be lower than for third-parties. XC2 and ARMS did pretty well, but they're nowhere near the massive breakout of Persona 5 or the legacy of SNK's works. Who knows why, exactly, the standards are lower; Maybe it's because Nintendo can promote them later on, or maybe it's the cross-pollination of playerbases, or perhaps it's just because there aren't any legal issues to sort out. Whatever the reason, I think Dragalia's not 100% written off because of the different standards it's held to.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
In b4 Sakurai advertises Honkai Impact 3rd in the Sakurai Presents Genshin Impact, saying he discovered it when watching his favorite Anime youtubers and is the main reason why GI got in :4pacman:.

It'd be cool if SEGA were to reveal a 2nd Sonic guy/gal for Smash in that event (even if it's unlikely).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Waluigi being the only AT to have a chance is extremely overrated IMO, and I'm not just saying this because "durr he can't fill out a challenger pack he'd have to have a bunch of waluigis as spirits and that'd be dumb". If the goal with FP2 is to revisit scrapped plans from before 2018, that's not really good news for Waluigi, since the overwhelming demand is from...2018.
To be fair, we don't really know if there's a "goal" with this pass. One of the last two characters could easily be someone completely random who doesn't fit the pattern, just like Byleth did when everyone was confident we'd have a pass of third-parties.

I think Nintendo will be more inclined to choose a character who represents a specific game on the Switch, but I don't think said character necessarily has to be someone they considered for the base roster.

Dukefire

Smash Master

I'm now interested of what SEGA has to offer for the Blue Blur's 30th Anniversary.

I just hope that SEGA can do better for the 3D titles after Sonic Forces (an ok game)

Technomage

Smash Champion
To be fair, we don't really know if there's a "goal" with this pass. One of the last two characters could easily be someone completely random who doesn't fit the pattern, just like Byleth did when everyone was confident we'd have a pass of third-parties.

I think Nintendo will be more inclined to choose a character who represents a specific game on the Switch, but I don't think said character necessarily has to be someone they considered for the base roster.
Plus, considering the fact that FP1 had a trend-breaker, I get the feeling that at least one of FP2's characters is gonna be a trend-breaker, too (which trend gets broken, I don't know, but the loose-ends trend seems like a prime candidate for breaking).

On the topic of Pokemon...

Imagine a 4th Pokemon Ranger game...
Maybe a Pokemon Ranger could make a good second human rep for Pokemon? Though what would its moveset be like?

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Maybe a Pokemon Ranger could make a good second human rep for Pokemon? Though what would its moveset be like?
Not too sure tbh. Maybe it can't work in Smash lol
at least give me Ranger music

Ivander

Smash Legend
Let’s have a bit of fun
Pick 3 fighting game characters that you would want smash and why
  • Chun-Li, cause poster girl of fighting games.
  • Nightmare, cause he's awesome looking and I really enjoyed Soulcalibur.
  • That's about it since I hardly know about any fighting games aside from Soulcalibur and crossover fighters like Vs Capcom and Smash Bros. Other fighting games I mainly looked up info on, since Soulcalibur, SSB and Vs. Capcom were the only ones I could really get invested in. So if I had to choose a 3rd character, probably Morrigan due to how much of a poster girl she is to the Vs. Capcom games.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Plus, considering the fact that FP1 had a trend-breaker, I get the feeling that at least one of FP2's characters is gonna be a trend-breaker, too (which trend gets broken, I don't know, but the loose-ends trend seems like a prime candidate for breaking).
i guess. i dunno, it'd feel kinda cheap if "assists don't get promotions" was a trend they decided to buck right at the last minute just so that people could have their precious meme man

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Copypasting from the first post in the thread:

• He's 51/49 that BOTW2 will be at E3 (51 being it will be at E3)
  • If it somehow isn't though we will have something a couple of weeks after
  • We should hear about Nintendo's E3 plans this week, direct should be after Microsoft and Ubisoft show
  • He expects a lot of Zelda stuff and even Metroid

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think the main thing going for Dragalia over it's competition is the fact that standards for first-parties seem to be lower than for third-parties. XC2 and ARMS did pretty well, but they're nowhere near the massive breakout of Persona 5 or the legacy of SNK's works. Who knows why, exactly, the standards are lower. Maybe it's because Nintendo can promote them later on, or maybe it's the cross-pollination of playerbases, or perhaps it's just because there aren't any legal issues to sort out. Whatever the reason, I think Dragalia's not 100% written off because of the different standards it's held to.
Well of course Nintendo's own characters have different standards. It's Nintendo's characters vs every other character out there, and considering how most of their biggest faces have already been added a long time ago, it's not particularly hard to choose a third-party who's "bigger" than Min Min or Pyra.

In terms of Nintendo characters vs other Nintendo characters, I think that's where Dragalia suffers the most. It's not as well-known as most of their other franchises, and considering how old ARMS and XC2 were when they got a character, I'm not even sure Nintendo cares about direct promotion as much as they do simply adding a character from one of their notable Switch titles.

Technomage

Smash Champion
i guess. i dunno, it'd feel kinda cheap if "assists don't get promotions" was a trend they decided to buck right at the last minute just so that people could have their precious meme man
Well, it wouldn't really be last minute, since it was already decided upon during the end of 2019.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Speaking of Granblue: Remember the time Hitagi claimed to leak Katalina? Maybe that leak could end up becoming at least partially true?
It was for FP1 only, and even ignoring that they backed off of it rather quickly on it and said she was for another game.

• We should hear about Nintendo's E3 plans this week, direct should be after Microsoft and Ubisoft show
Please be real, I need 2D Metroid.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

I can't see them revealing a WWHD+TPHD collection at E3. They want people to buy Skyward Sword HD, and not many would buy one old game when the know you can buy two old games for the same price.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
We're gonna get the legend himself, Waluigi, and I'm going to stand by that until I'm proven wrong and y'all are allowed to put a dunce cap on my head.

Come on Purple Guy Wah Man, it's your time! Wahllelujah!

I sound like I'm joking and I partly am, but I'd be very excited for and happy with Waluigi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom