• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Personally, my dream Story Mode would consist of all the Nintendo villains teaming up and traveling to universes other than their own so they can wreck havoc. Imagine the Space Pirates invading the Mushroom Kingdom or the Kremlings storming Hyrule. You start off with a handful of Nintendo heroes, and you progress through the game by recruiting more heroes along the way.

It'll probably never happen though. Seems like Sakurai would prefer sticking with the "Smash universe" and designing his own worlds.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Personally, my dream Story Mode would consist of all the Nintendo villains teaming up and traveling to universes other than their own so they can wreck havoc. Imagine the Space Pirates invading the Mushroom Kingdom or the Kremlings storming Hyrule. You start off with a handful of Nintendo heroes, and you progress through the game by recruiting more heroes along the way.

It'll probably never happen though. Seems like Sakurai would prefer sticking with the "Smash universe" and designing his own worlds.
Same, I can picture Hyrule struggling to fight back due to the Space Pirates and their futuristic technology and weapons.
(Medieval vs Future)

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Who do you think should have been added in Smash for a while (meaning even before Ultimate or Smash 4), even if you're not a big fan of the characters?
For me, it's Dixie Kong and Tom Nook, who are both characters from pretty popular franchises and well known worldwide.
Pretty close, I'd say another Kirby character such a Bandana Dee and Toad.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Most people would probably agree with these:

Dixie Kong
Bandana Dee
Waluigi
Tom Nook
Toad/Captain Toad
A new Zelda character that isn't a clone
Not too sure about Waluigi, but he's a better fit than Piranha Plant.

A new Zelda character has to be Impa, or a Champion. Or both. I could easily see Impa being added as a semi clone and accompanied with one of the Champions, most likely Urbosa.

Ganon is another character that's warranted, but just not expected much.

So I'd list:

Dixie Kong
Impa
Bandana Dee
Tom Nook
Toad
A Champion
Ganon

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
How is the discussion of that leak still a thing when it has Bewear who already a Poke Ball Pokemon? Guys that should be an automatic sign that leak is 100% fake.

Now if it were Urshifu instead then we might be onto something but it's not.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
How is the discussion of that leak still a thing when it has Bewear who already a Poke Ball Pokemon? Guys that should be an automatic sign that leak is 100% fake.

Most of the people here know it's fake. People just keep talking about it because it's honestly cool and has some effort put into it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Watch them add a new Pokemon Trainer as a fighter, who utilizes both a playable Pokemon on stage as the main controlable fighter and has a Down Special where the Trainer in the background throws a Pokeball item on stage, Bewear being one of the more common Pokemon to pop off from the Pokeball.

Most OP character in Smash ever, even compared to Smash 4 Bayonetta and Brawl Meta Knight. 😂

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Say, are we allowed to talk about the current state of the Smash community? Apparently, a Twitter account called The Gimmick Hub gave us the award for Worst Community. I don't know if this is a notable account or anything, but for reference, we beat out Persona and Minecraft in that one.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Say, are we allowed to talk about the current state of the Smash community? Apparently, a Twitter account called The Gimmick Hub gave us the award for Worst Community. I don't know if this is a notable account or anything, but for reference, we beat out Persona and Minecraft in that one.
275 followers
Oh no, it's over, Smash fans are finished.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I say this has mostly to do with Gamefaqs.

However, to be fair, things used to be heated here. Lots of flame wars, and crap surrounding "relevance" "deserving" and general wars about who has the best opinion. It was all pretty commonplace here around Brawl and Smash 4's speculative era, but not as much with Ultimate.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I say this has mostly to do with Gamefaqs.

However, to be fair, things used to be heated here. Lots of flame wars, and crap surrounding "relevance" "deserving" and general wars about who has the best opinion. It was all pretty commonplace here around Brawl and Smash 4's speculative era, but not as much with Ultimate.
Heh! What a joke! That person or whatever is generalizing Smash fans just because of one site called GameFAQs. I say we here at Smashboards are much nicer than what they make us out to be, even if it hasn't always been that way. Not all people are the same, and that includes Smash fans. You can't say you have seen all Smash fans by looking at one site such as GameFAQs.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The closer we get to E3, the more I'm inclined to believe that we will get a double reveal, not so much because the event demands it, but more because I get the sense that one of the remaining two fighters will be a bit low key hype wise, and that there's a logic in pairing it with a likely popular one to lessen potential backlash. A lot of Western antipathy towards Hero was greatly lessened by the inclusion of Banjo-Kazooie and I could entirely see a similar thing happen this year. Get a really fun and well known third party figure in Smash and even a Gen 8 Pokémon becomes a bit of an easier pill to swallow for the hardcore crowd, even if there will be some lingering bitterness given that this is the last of the DLC.

Technomage

Smash Champion

Or maybe they could use "alternate universe" versions of those locations as part of Sakurai's "Smash universe?"

Who do you think should have been added in Smash for a while (meaning even before Ultimate or Smash 4), even if you're not a big fan of the characters?
For me, it's Dixie Kong and Tom Nook, who are both characters from pretty popular franchises and well known worldwide.
My pick would have been Krystal, since TVTropes' "What Could Have Been" section on Smash Bros. mentioned that Krystal could have become playable in Brawl; that made me a bit sad. :(

Yeah, I'd prefer Urshifu as one of the outcomes for a Gen 8 rep, since another starter would put me to sleep.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Keep in mind even from the beginning, This pass was supposed to go through 2 E3's I can see them shifting the characters around to make the E3 reveals the most interesting ones.

EDIT: Clarification: the characters were always ordered to factor in E3 i'm not saying they were switched on the fly.

I'm not banking on it but it's possible.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
It's Twitter, not something whose opinions should be listened to.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Personally, my dream Story Mode would consist of all the Nintendo villains teaming up and traveling to universes other than their own so they can wreck havoc.
All the Nintendo and 3P villains and I agree with that completely.

Most characters that I think are that deserving are characters I AM a big fan of.

But while I don't particularly care about Sora, Crash or Master Chief, I can absolutely recognize that they would be deserving additions. Do I think they should have been in since way back in Brawl though? No.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Tfw you have a lot of ideas you want to share on how you'd overhaul some veterans' movesets, but there's not a forum dedicated to the post-Ultimate era yet thus it'll be seen as off-topic.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Toad
Tom Nook
Takamaru
Rhythm Heaven Character

That’s about it, honestly. Plenty of other Nintendo characters who I think would make great additions but these are some of the only ones where I feel their exclusion is particularly egregious. Like, even if I think Dixie Kong or Bandana Dee or Waluigi “deserve” to be on the roster it’s not impossible for me to realize why they aren’t.

RH mostly because we were supposed to get one and it’s like the one instance where a full series was cut from the roster during development. Takamaru just felt like a natural fit during Smash 4 and I still think Sakurai made the wrong call there.

I may as well give Dixie Kong the nod too because while I don’t think she’s as crucial as a lot of people think... she was supposed to be in Brawl. It sucks that she was just abandoned after that.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Most people would probably agree with these:

Dixie Kong
Bandana Dee
Waluigi
Tom Nook
Toad/Captain Toad
A new Zelda character that isn't a clone
I think that’s a pretty accurate list. I would also throw in Meowth, personally.

If we didn’t already have an unevolved, normal type Pokémon from Gen 1, then people would definitely be talking about Meowth much more. Most Pokémon will quickly fade in and out of relevancy, but Meowth is a major exception. After Pikachu, he’s the second most recurring Pokémon in the anime and it is not even close. There are countless episodes that specifically revolve around him. And aside from the anime, he can even represent the two newest generations as he is the only Pokémon with both an Alolan and Galarian form. Plus, his Gigantimax form which could be used as a Final Smash.

But yeah, back to the original point, Meowth easily could have (and should have) been added years ago. He would have made way more sense than Jigglypuff (who I realize had the advantage of being similar to Kirby), or could have easily been added in Melee, Brawl, 4, or Ultimate. He’s literally always relevant.

SKX31

Smash Master
The closer we get to E3, the more I'm inclined to believe that we will get a double reveal, not so much because the event demands it, but more because I get the sense that one of the remaining two fighters will be a bit low key hype wise, and that there's a logic in pairing it with a likely popular one to lessen potential backlash. A lot of Western antipathy towards Hero was greatly lessened by the inclusion of Banjo-Kazooie and I could entirely see a similar thing happen this year. Get a really fun and well known third party figure in Smash and even a Gen 8 Pokémon becomes a bit of an easier pill to swallow for the hardcore crowd, even if there will be some lingering bitterness given that this is the last of the DLC.
A lot of said antipathy came in after release; but that was due to people finding out about the RNG stuff - including the insta-kill spells being RNG - in a scene that has historically been RNG-averse (outside of cases where it brings hype, like MGW's 9 or Peach pulling Bombs). I know this isn't exactly what you're meaning, but it's worth noting since other characters that have been aimed a bit more towards the Japanese audience - like Terry - did not face nearly as much antipathy.

Tfw you have a lot of ideas you want to share on how you'd overhaul some veterans' movesets, but there's not a forum dedicated to the post-Ultimate era yet thus it'll be seen as off-topic.
We do lean into this topic from time to time (I have talked quite a bit about :ultlittlemac: , :ultsonic: and :ulttoonlink: in particular), so I don't think that's too off-topic really.

Me personally?

Krystal's up there, although her chances got hurt hard by the post-Command reboot and the unwillingness to re-introduce her. Which is a major shame, she was talked about a lot during the Brawl days when Assault and Command were still relatively fresh.

Ganon also counts, although he's in some strange middle ground where Ganon is being equated to Ganondorf by Nintendo more often than not...

...However, Ganondorf's current moveset has had divisive reception. It's particularily disliked by a significant segment of the fanbase because of its historical status as a clone and very little being borrowed from the canon Zelda appearances, but he's also decently* popular to play** (and not just the people who primarily think of Ganondorf as "haha funy disrespec guy go DORIYAH!"). So when it comes to Ganon, honestly I'm not sure what to think when he'll get more significant changes or a more faithful incarnation. Sakurai and co. seemed content with changing the Smash attacks for Ultimate, and that alone gave him a lot of notoriety. Had he been introduced in Brawl Ganondorf would've had a much different moveset.

I also want to mention Isaac, since he seems like the kind of character that Sakurai would consider at least some of the time. There's a decent chance that he would've been included in Brawl if Sakurai had come up with a moveset and the timing would've been better... but here we are.

*(Ultimategamedata has since I posted that updated its data to include the period after :ultpyra: released. While Ganondorf's now been overtaken by :ultsamus: and:ultbanjokazooie: in terms of low- and mid-level usage, he still remains decently popular to play, with a Ganondorf being picked in 10K games over a 600K games sample between then - January 2021 - and latest update - March / April. More than quite a few characters have been picked in that 600K sample.)

** (The third link - the OrionStats chart - is a year old, but even then :ultganondorf: saw more usage than half the cast within the competitive scene.)

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
For me, I kinda wish Sakurai got to do the tag team with Diddy and Dixie. I know she's got more than enough stuff to go solo, but I do think a tag team with both should be really interesting and loyal to DKC's gameplay.

Besides Dixie, I think it's quite weird that Toad isn't playable yet (regardless of whether it's a regular Toad or Captain Toad), but a Piranha Plant is. Paper Mario and Waluigi have their own issues, but Toad? He genuinely feels like a character that should have been added a looong time ago.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
While I’d argue few, if any, characters truly deserve to be in SSB, I am surprised that Toad absent due to being in many games for over 35 years, and he is the only core Mario character missing (unless we’re doing Spinoffs exclusively, then Waluigi gets added)

I can see arguments for the following (leaving third parties out due to licensing, and there’s many good choices to choose from):
Waluigi: He is requested and a core member of Mario spinoffs (people were mad when he missed MK7 10 years ago).
Dixie Kong: She is more or less the original Rex where the tag team mechanic didn’t work for her, and DKC is important to Nintendo’s history.
Meowth/Eevee: While they are Kanto Pokemon, they are popular.
Tom Nook: AC is one of Nintendo’s five biggest franchises, and he is one of the main characters.

I don’t necessarily count these, but some people do even if it’s not a specific fighter
LoZ: I’m unsure how to qualify LoZ since the LoZ has many interesting choices, but I’m unsure who’s the one that stands out the most (Impa, Midna, Skull Kid, Beast Ganon).
Rhythm Heaven: the biggest Nintendo franchise without a playable fighter, and it was planned to have a Rhythm Heaven character in SSBFor

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Can I be honest and say that the whole "Smash community bad" shebang has gotten kinda tiring?

Like, I'm not saying we're exempt from criticism, far from it - I'm willing to poke fun at some of the dumb **** that's gone on during the history of this fanbase. But I can kinda feel a bit rubbed the wrong way when it feels like I can't go a day without seeing the newest meme about how awful and bad and dumb the Smash fanbase is and how much it's filled with those salty haters who act like Fire Emblem killed their family and have 268 Scrimblo Bimblo shrines, amirite fellas??? OK, we get it, that's very funny, no one's ever pointed that out before, and it's not like it's become an annoying and generalizing strawman of this community by now or anything.

This feels like something that more people would have pointed out as having gotten stale by now - memes making fun of Persona 5 fans began to get noticeable pushback pretty ****in' quickly compared to this, for example - but apparently not, cause I guess we're just that much of an easy target for Twitter clout-chasers! And then a lot of the time, what these memes end up doing is creating even more of a divide in our community as these people watch (you know that Simpsons meme with the dudes watching the monkeys fighting each other? That's what it feels like). It's a dead horse people refuse to stop beating cause it gives them the moral high ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom