• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
This is how Chun-Li wins.
If Chun-Li can be considered, then it wouldn't be fair to forget about X and Zero.

To be honest if we ever another Mega Man character, I guess the obvious choice would be X but he certainly looks similar to classic Mega Man and would probably share a few moves. So I don't know, maybe they would go with Zero? But maybe it would feel kinda weird to skip X.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
That Master Chief(?) leak looks kinda good, but also falls flat: Leaf seems to have some colors she shouldn’t have, Samus(?) isn’t in her default colors, and why is Bewear there? Not exactly official quality either.

Just wanted to share my thoughts on it, I know it’s been deemed fake already.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
If Chun-Li can be considered, then it wouldn't be fair to forget about X and Zero.

To be honest if we ever another Mega Man character, I guess the obvious choice would be X but he certainly looks similar to classic Mega Man and would probably share a few moves. So I don't know, maybe they would go with Zero? But maybe it would feel kinda weird to skip X.
Didn't stop Zero from appearing without X in both versions of MVC3 and Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Most of the crossover fighting games only have one version of Mega Man, whether it's classic in MVC1 and 2, X in Infinite and Project X Zone, Volnutt in TVC, etc, alongside different characters.

I feel like we were to get more Mega Man characters they'd probably (and I'd rather they would) go for more variation like Zero, Roll, Tron Bonne, Proto Man, etc. rather than just have a bunch of blue bombers. Don't need another Link situation.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord

X and classic MM are very different characters, in both body shape and moveset-wise. Big MMX fan here, so i'd love to have X in the game. And i really feel X is the most obvious choice for a second MM rep as Zero is an assist trophy already, but that X costume returning with Byleth screams a big NOT GONNA HAPPEN for me.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Tfw you have a lot of ideas you want to share on how you'd overhaul some veterans' movesets, but there's not a forum dedicated to the post-Ultimate era yet thus it'll be seen as off-topic.
How I feel when there isn't a forum dedicated to showcasing music for series not in Smash to show what we could get for Smash with these rumoured characters or series.

I've said before, there's nothing wrong with wanting a series for it's music.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
X and classic MM are very different characters, in both body shape and moveset-wise. Big MMX fan here, so i'd love to have X in the game. And i really feel X is the most obvious choice for a second MM rep as Zero is an assist trophy already, but that X costume returning with Byleth screams a big NO for me.
This is how Tron Bonne wins

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
If we do get another Mega Man character my bet goes to Zero. After that I think it might go to either Roll or Tron Bonne, the latter in particular because she's appeared in Capcom's crossover fighters numerous times.

Man all this talk about Capcom is a bit sad for me since I don't expect anymore Capcom fighters for this game. I kinda wish Capcom would do a vs game specifically for their own franchises, they have more than enough characters to fill a roster on their own. Alternatively Capcom could do a versus game with Sega, there's a lot of themetic match ups that fit the crossover (Mega Man vs Sonic, Dante vs Bayonetta, Axel vs Cody etc.)

cothero

Smash Lord
From all companies invoved with smash, Capcom is a trully exceptional case, cuz it has so many good franchises to consider: Mega Man (Classic, X, Zero, Battle Netwok, Volnutt, Star Force, ZX), Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, Ghost N' Goblins, Final Fight, Rival Schools, Strider, Darkstalkers, Dead Rising, Bionic Commando, Resident Evil, Onimusha, Okami, Sengoku, Viewtiful Joe, between many others.

As for the other companies (Squeenix, Sega, Atlus, Konami, SNK, Bamco) you can count on your fingers how many good franchises they have.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Didn't stop Zero from appearing without X in both versions of MVC3 and Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Most of the crossover fighting games only have one version of Mega Man, whether it's classic in MVC1 and 2, X in Infinite and Project X Zone, Volnutt in TVC, etc, alongside different characters.

I feel like we were to get more Mega Man characters they'd probably (and I'd rather they would) go for more variation like Zero, Roll, Tron Bonne, Proto Man, etc. rather than just have a bunch of blue bombers. Don't need another Link situation.
True. These are some reasons why I feel Zero could be next in line. And he's an assist trophy. I know ATs aren't really an indicative of who would get in next, but if they added Zero as an assist it may mean they would go with him first if they had the chance to add another playable character.

X and classic MM are very different characters, in both body shape and moveset-wise. Big MMX fan here, so i'd love to have X in the game. And i really feel X is the most obvious choice for a second MM rep as Zero is an assist trophy already, but that X costume returning with Byleth screams a big NOT GONNA HAPPEN for me.
I know they're different.

But yeah, I'm not really expecting either X or Zero as one of our last DLC characters. Chun-Li I feel she could made it, but I'm still more confident with new Capcom series when it comes to DLC. I definitely think Chun-Li will eventually be playable in Smash, but I'm not so sure about X or Zero to be honest.

cothero

Smash Lord
Gonna need a couple extra hands in some of those cases if a Capcom list that liberal is who we get to seriously consider.
Lets see:

Squeenix: Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Tomb Raider, NiER.
Sega: Sonic, Bayonetta, NIGHTS, Phantasy Star, Sakura Wars, Sega All-Stars, Streets of Rage, Virtua Fighter, Yakuza.
Bamco: Dark Souls, Tales, Tekken, Katamari, Klonoa, Pac-Man, Soulcalibur, Xenosaga, Digimon.
Konami: Bomberman, Metal Gear, Castlevania, Contra, Gradius, Frogger, Parodius, Silent Hill, Suikoden.
Atlus: Shin Megami Tensei, Persona.

edit: forgot to count Microsoft as well: Age of Empires, Banjo-Kazooie, Battletoads, Conker, Halo, Minecraft, Killer Instinct, Gears of War, Perfect Dark, Doom, The Elder Scrolls, Quake, Forza.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

Lyncario

Smash Ace
From all companies invoved with smash, Capcom is a trully exceptional case, cuz it has so many good franchises to consider: Mega Man (Classic, X, Zero, Battle Netwok, Volnutt, Star Force, ZX), Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, Ghost N' Goblins, Final Fight, Rival Schools, Strider, Darkstalkers, Dead Rising, Bionic Commando, Resident Evil, Onimusha, Okami, Sengoku, Viewtiful Joe, between many others.

As for the other companies (Squeenix, Sega, Atlus, Konami, SNK, Bamco) you can count on your fingers how many good franchises they have.
For Atlus, it on how you count MegaTen spin-offs, because the number of those is pretty absurd. I will also say that Atlus generaly makes amazing games, it's just that they mainly do SMT and Persona since people don't really look at their stuff outside of SMT and Persona, and even then it's mainly just Persona.

Square Enix also has many great series, it's just that people don't really look what they have beyond FF, DQ, TR, KH, and since recently Nier. Because people don't think often about it, but many of their smaller series are also amaizng, between TWEWY, BD, Octopath, Mana, Saga, and so much more too.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Lets see:

Squeenix: Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Tomb Raider.
Sega: Sonic, Bayonetta, NIGHTS, Phantasy Star, Sakura Wars, Sega All-Stars, Streets of Rage, Virtua Fighter, Yakuza.
Bamco: Dark Souls, Tales, Tekken, Katamari, Klonoa, Pac-Man, Soulcalibur, Xenosaga, Digimon.
Konami: Bomberman, Metal Gear, Castlevania, Contra, Gradius, Frogger, Parodius, Silent Hill, Suikoden.
Atlus: Shin Megami Tensei, Persona.
Well, if you were that liberal for Capcom, you're missing:
Bravely Default, Octopath Traveler, Chrono Trigger, Nier, Mana, and Saga for Square
Puyo Puyo, Jet Set Radio, Ecco the Dolphin, Valkyria Chronicles, Golden Axe, and Alex Kidd for Sega
Klonoa, Idolmaster, Super Robot Wars, Valkyrie, and Taiko for Namco
Power Pros, DDR, and Twinbee for Konami
Etrian Odyssey, Trauma Center, and Catherine for Atlus

Last edited:
Square Enix also has many great series, it's just that people don't really look what they have beyond FF, DQ, TR, KH, and since recently Nier. Because people don't think often about it, but many of their smaller series are also amaizng, between TWEWY, BD, Octopath, Mana, Saga, and so much more too.
The funny thing is that the Switch has gotten more love from most of these smaller series than the big ones everyone thinks about. I haven't jumped into SaGa yet, but the Switch has something like 5 of them.

SKX31

Smash Master
I wish Meowth could’ve been one of the original 12 instead of Jigglypuff.
I... dunno what to feel about this really.

I'm pretty sure that at the time 64 / Melee were current I might've preferred Meowth... but I've grown to love the puffball in the years since. Partly due to the shenaningas that happened and my growing appriciation of defensive play.

Now I don't mind Meowth at all, just never thought it was that interesting outside of the anime really.

Saying Meowth should be in instead of Jigglypuff is not that hot of a take. Most people agree that Meowth was the bigger pokemon at the time but also Jigglypuff looked like Kirby so that's why Jigglypuff got in.
Jigglypuff also had a couple things going for it that allowed it to be differentiated from Kirby in a short amount of time:

First, Jigglypuff has amazing air speed instead of Kirby's pretty slow air speed (currently, Jigglypuff is the 2nd fastest in the air, Kirby's the 4th slowest). That might've been one reason Sakurai decided on Jigglypuff, since that alone creates a noticeable difference in how the two feel without much effort.

Likely as a consequence of that, Sakurai and co. decided to give Puff Sing instead of a recovery Up B. So its recovery options wouldn't be too good (with Pound being a horizontal recovery move too) and Sing brought a unique status ailment.

Also, Rest. The madman Sakurai decided to modify a sleeping animation and turn it into a hilarious Frame 1 kill move:

Bonus:

...Sakurai's a hack. :4pacman:

What ISN'T against the Geneva Convention these days?
Disrespecting one's opponent:

:4dedede:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wish Meowth could’ve been one of the original 12 instead of Jigglypuff.
Me too. But at this point, both Jigglypuff AND Meowth might as well be playable in Smash. “Too many Gen 1 Pokémon” be damned. Let the haters hate and let the stubborn Meowth fans finally get what they want.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I love Meowth, like a lot, but not at the expense of Jigglypuff. She is one of Smash’s staples at this point and one of the first additions that truly played into the spirit of Smash’s wacky and diverse roster that we would come to know and love.

Sure, Jigglypuff isn’t as relevant nowadays, but I think Smash has done more than enough to establish its own unique priorities - Jigglypuff stands as more of a “Smash character” than anything else at this point. If anything I wish we had even more left field characters like Jigglypuff who would grow into beloved standalone series icons and really give Smash a unique identity. Even if we want to split hairs on Pokemon “reps” or whatever, I think it’s almost insincere to count Jigglypuff as part of that when she’s become so much of her own thing.

Meowth over Jigglypuff paints a somewhat different picture for the course of the series. Smash 64 doesn’t have its “joke” character and the Pokemon lineup ends up looking a lot more standardized.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I like Meowth and want him in Smash as much as anyone else, but I wouldn't want to cut Jigglypuff for him since she's become such a staple. Same way I like Lyn and want her in Smash but not at the expense of Ike, since he's also a beloved staple. In an ideal world we would have both Meowth and Jigglypuff in for Pokemon, just like in an ideal world we could have both Lyn and Ike.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Broke: Zero should be the next Mega Man character.
Woke: X should be the next Mega Man character.
Woke Up, Got Up, Got Out There: X should be the next Mega Man character with an echo of Zero based on his X1 design.

Admittedly, I'm super biased when it comes to this topic. X is one of my favourite characters in gaming period, so him getting in would be literal dream-come-true material, but I think he does have some objective merits to his inclusion.

X would likely only share the lemons and charge shot with Mega Man, essentially leaving the rest of his moveset to be filled with Maverick abilities, an Armour mechanic, and unique movement options in the form of the dash and wall jump. I honestly think X would end up being more unique than Zero would, simply because an agile, lightweight gunner isn't really something we've seen yet while we've had an agile, lightweight swordsman since Marth in Melee.

Likewise, while I do get the concerns of filling up the roster with a bunch of incarnations of the Blue Bomber when you could instead fill it with unique characters like Roll and Zero, but the reality is that Mega Man games are largely about Mega Man. Playable characters that aren't some variant on Mega Man or Zero's identity are relatively rare. As such, if you wanted to do a good job of accurately representing Mega Man's important characters, you're going to have more than a couple of variations of Mega Man.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Gonna need a couple extra hands in some of those cases if a Capcom list that liberal is who we get to seriously consider.
  • Square Enix: Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Vagrant Story, Valkyrie Profile, Chrono, Mana series, Front Mission, Brave Fencer Musashi, Bravely Default, Octopath Traveler, Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle, Tomb Raider, Nier, Drakengard, Parasite Eve, Just Cause, Star Ocean, Arkanoid, SaGA, Deus Ex, Thief, Gex, Legacy of Kain, Life is Strange, Threads of Fate, Fear Effect, Bubble Bobble, Bushido Blade, Space Invaders, Darius, Lost Magic, Taito Legends, Actraiser, Illusion of Gaia and it's other games, Bust a Move?/Groove?
  • Sega: Sonic the Hedgehog, Yakuza, Phantasy Star, Bayonetta, Shin Megami Tensei/Persona, Puyo Puyo, Gunstar Heroes/Guardian Heroes, Alien Soldier, Altered Beast, House of the Dead, Afterburner, Eternal Champions, Virtua Fighter, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Nights, Samba de Amigo, Shining series/Shining Force, Burning Rangers, Billy Hatcher, Clockwork Knight, Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, Alex Kidd, Super Monkey Ball, Panzer Dragoon, Out Run, Crazy Taxi, 7th Dragon, Landstalker, Rhythm Thief, Sakura Wars, Space Channel 5, Valkyria Chronicles, Resonance of Fate, Comix Zone, Ristar, Vectorman, Total War, Football Manager, Sword of Vermilion, ToeJam & Earl, Ecco the Dolphin, Fantasy Zone, Deep Fear, Fighting Vipers, Etrian Odyssey, Growlanser, Trauma Center, Segata Sanshiro.
  • Konami: Metal Gear, Castlevania, Contra, Silent Hill, Suikoden, Sparkster/Rocket Knight, Boktai, Zone of the Enders, Frogger, Snatcher, Gradius, Parodius, Otomedeus, Wai Wai World, Getsu Fuma Den, Mystical Ninja/Ganbare Goemon, Twinbee, Dance Dance Revolution, Beatmania, Bemani/Popn' Music, Power Pro Kun, Rumble Roses, Vandal Hearts, Bomberman, Adventure Island, Star Soldier, Neutopia, Elebits, Bloody Roar, Antarctic Adventure, Bio Miracle, Momotaro Densetsu, Sunset Riders, Mystic Warriors, Gaiapolis, Bonk the Caveman, Tokimeki Memorial, LovePlus, Salamander, Princess Tomato, Doctor Lautrec, Pro Evolution Soccer, Yugioh.
  • Bandai Namco: Pac-Man, Tales of, Tekken, Soulcalibur, Dark Souls, Mappy, Galaga, Legend of Valkyrie, Sky Kid, Dig Dug, Ace Combat, Tower of Duraga, .hack, Idolmaster, Ridge Racer, Xenosaga, Wonder Momo, Xevious, Time Crisis, Klonoa, Summon Night?, God Eater, Code Vein, Katamari, Taiko no Tatsujin, Mr. Driller, Super Robot Wars?, Dragon Spirit, Dragon Buster, Splatterhouse, Genpei Toma Den, Eternal Sonata, Baiten Kaitos 1, Marvel Land, Digimon.
I know next to nothing about SNK aside from King of Fighters/Fatal Fury/Art of Fighting/etc, Metal Slug, Samurai Shodown, and some of their Beat-em-ups like Sengoku and King of the Monsters.

cothero

Smash Lord
If you could choose the last two fighter, being one to appeal to the western audience and one who who could appeal to both western and japanese audiences, which characters would you chose? You can choose ANY character you want, being "deconfirmed" or not.

Mines:

Western audience: Scorpion
Both western and japanese audience: Leon

Technomage

Smash Champion
If you could choose the last two fighter, being one to appeal to the western audience and one who who could appeal to both western and japanese audiences, which characters would you chose? You can choose ANY character you want, being "deconfirmed" or not.

Mines:

Western char: Crash Bandicoot

Western-and-Japanese char: Arle

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Who do you think should have been added in Smash for a while (meaning even before Ultimate or Smash 4), even if you're not a big fan of the characters?
For me, it's Dixie Kong and Tom Nook, who are both characters from pretty popular franchises and well known worldwide.
Pretty close, I'd say another Kirby character such a Bandana Dee and Toad.
I think they’ve done a good job so far. When it comes to first parties, I can only think of Toad & a new Zelda character. But I honestly don’t think Toad would be that fun with his stubby little arms & legs, so I’m not too pressed about him. While with the Zelda character, there’s no clear front runner like there was for DK & Metroid so it makes sense as to why they haven’t added one.

I think third party wise has been pretty good too. The only sore thumb is a Resident Evil character who should’ve been in base game or FP1.

I think Master Chief, Crash & Lara Croft deserve to get in now but not before most of the third parties we’ve gotten so far.

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman

Mines:

Western: Master Chief
West and Japanese: Kazuma Kiryu

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Mines:

Western: Doom Guy
Both: Frisk

cothero

Smash Lord
I think they’ve done a good job so far. When it comes to first parties, I can only think of Toad & a new Zelda character. But I honestly don’t think Toad would be that fun with his stubby little arms & legs, so I’m not too pressed about him. While with the Zelda character, there’s no clear front runner like there was for DK & Metroid so it makes sense as to why they haven’t added one.

I think third party wise has been pretty good too. The only sore thumb is a Resident Evil character who should’ve been in base game or FP1.

I think Master Chief, Crash & Lara Croft deserve to get in now but not before most of the third parties we’ve gotten so far.
I remember 1UP made a list for the 10 most important video characters of all time around 2005 and the only characters remaining to be included in smash for their list is Lara and Master Chief. unfortunatelly, 1UP have been shut down some years ago, but i remember their list:

1. Mario
2. Sonic
3. Pac-Man
4. Link
5. Solid Snake
6. Lara Croft
7. Pikachu
8. Master Chief
9. Cloud
10. Samus

Status
Not open for further replies.