• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Honestly my one gripe with Arle is how I don't see how the hell Puyo Chains can be implemented properly as the idea sounds too bizarre to work as simple stage control blocks that connect
I imagine that you could stick a limited amount of puyos to the stage and they would be hazards to other players. They could pop once an enemy touches them or they could pop if you connect at least 4 puyos together, dealing damage to nearby opponents. Or they could make it so that you could stick puyos to enemies and you would have to connect 4 of them to pop and deal damage. I think these ideas could work with maybe some compromises or changes. Then there is the magic from the dungeon crawling games to fill out the rest of her moveset.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
you say that but just wait until we get OPA-OPA BAYBEEEEEEE

HE'S GETTING IN BOYS AND HE'S GONNA BE FRICKIN EPIC AND THEN AND THEN LIKE HE'S GONNA PULL A TERRY AND WE GET A BUNCH OF MUSIC FROM SEGA ARCADE GAMES AND WE GET MUSIC FROM **** LIKE DAYTONA AND OUTRUN AND SPACE HARRIER AND SUPER HANG-ON AND YEAHHHHHHHHHHH LET'S GOOOOOOOOOO BOIS HE'S GONNA BE A 10/10 INCLUSION LET'S GO LET'S ****ING GOOOOOOOOOO LET'S G-
I think this post was a joke, but I would actually like that a lot. I know that SNK was a special case, but having a huge Sega pack with music from Daytona, Shinobi, After burner, Golden axe, Panzer dragoon, or even more modern music like Jet set radio or Rez would be insane for me.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I imagine that you could stick a limited amount of puyos to the stage and they would be hazards to other players. They could pop once an enemy touches them or they could pop if you connect at least 4 puyos together, dealing damage to nearby opponents. Or they could make it so that you could stick puyos to enemies and you would have to connect 4 of them to pop and deal damage. I think these ideas could work with maybe some compromises or changes. She also has magic from the dungeon crawling games to fill out the rest of her moveset.
That's not chaining though, I'm well aware that Arle has a bigger pool to draw from than Puyo Puyo but in that game, you're not rewarded just by stacking Puyos together but by chaining combos, which I feel is impossible in Smash

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
There was that SEGA Popularity poll that had Opa-Opa in second after Sonic...

(I love that Song list idea but if it were to happen in reality I hope it would have a crumb of Geki Teikoku Kagekidan)
I just went with the arcade-specific idea cause it ties into Fantasy Zone being one of SEGA's Big Classic Arcade Games (TM)

Which, speaking of, I should try to do a 50-song "general SEGA" tracklist for Opa-Opa one of these days

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
That's not chaining though, I'm well aware that Arle has a bigger pool to draw from than Puyo Puyo but in that game, you're not rewarded just by stacking Puyos together but by chaining combos, which I feel is impossible in Smash
That is a fair point. But I do think they could get away with just stacking puyos. Smash has a history of making adjustments to fighters which still fits with the mechanics of their game, but makes their moveset more viable for Smash. An example would be Steve being able to mine rare ores from the surface from just one block. In other words, they could bend the rules a bit to make Arle work.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That is a fair point. But I do think they could get away with just stacking puyos. Smash has a history of making adjustments to fighters which still fits with the mechanics of their game, but makes their moveset more viable for Smash. An example would be Steve being able to mine rare ores from the surface from just one block. In other words, they could bend the rules a bit to make Arle work.
I dunno, mining sounds more like a QoL thing whereas chaining is literally how you win Puyo Puyo, it feels more like if they made it so Steve could only mine when taunting or something. I'd gladly be wrong but I sadly just don't see it

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I dunno, mining sounds more like a QoL thing whereas chaining is literally how you win Puyo Puyo, it feels more like if they made it so Steve could only mine when taunting or something. I'd gladly be wrong but I sadly just don't see it
True, but the chaining is a strategic element in Puyo more than anything else - in Smash I feel like it would translate as a "trapper-esque" moveset. It reminds me of how Snake doesn't use firearms, but that actually helps make him feel more accurate by making his playstyle more strategic with his explosives.

As a mecanic, I think matching would have more priority than chaining for Arle, because when you think about it, combos and traps are themselves the fighting game equivalent of those.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Are you expecting the last character to drop in June, or just be announced? 'Cause that would be a fast turnaround if it's the former.
I could see CP11 be released sometime in June or July to be honest. If we got CP10 sometime before June, like in May or even April, it could line up for CP11 to be released around that time

I also think that at least CP10 is already in a presentable state, with maybe some balancing needing to be done, in that case CP11 would need to be ready to be presented at E3, but they might already have substansial progress done on them also

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I guess it would be a hot take to say that I actually enjoyed WOL. I would be down for an Expansion that is using all the spirits from the DLC boards and the spirit events.

A Subspace sequel would be better though.
Meh. Everything that was good about SSE can now be found in character reveal trailers, and I think we're better off.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
There's been two and half months between most of the characters in this pass. That puts F10 in the middle of May, less than one month away from E3.

So yeah, even if F10 is ready before then, I have a hard time seeing them waste a Smash reveal so close to E3. Seems more likely for them to hold it off and reveal it when they'll have the most viewers. Maybe do a Sakurai Presents around the same time as their E3 event, then do a same-day release.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
There's been two and half months between most of the characters in this pass. That puts F10 in the middle of May, less than one month away from E3.

So yeah, even if F10 is ready before then, I have a hard time seeing them waste a Smash reveal so close to E3. Seems more likely for them to hold it off and reveal it when they'll have the most viewers. Maybe do a Sakurai Presents around the same time as their E3 event, then do a same-day release.
Sakurai however said in his latest column that we'll have to wait a little longer for the next reveal, so June is looking much more likely.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
You guys see this image of every Ultimate character drawn in Cuphead style?

Source.

He even did the premium Miis!

Odd that he included the Hands, but not the other bosses though.
I remember him posting some of those, but I did not know he made it into a banner. That looks ****ing awesome! Especially with the Mii costumes, Koopalings, various Heroes, and the male/female versions of characters. Even the actual Smash Ultimate banner doesn’t go that hard.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Just Master Hand though. Poor old Crazy always getting the short end of the stick, first he doesn't appear in Subspace Emissary, then he doesn't get to be playable in WOL.
Ah, I forgot about that. ^^;

Plus, he didn't get any Crazy Giant, Crazy Beast, Crazy Edges, Crazy Shadow, Crazy Fortress, or Crazy Core forms.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
True, but the chaining is a strategic element in Puyo more than anything else - in Smash I feel like it would translate as a "trapper-esque" moveset. It reminds me of how Snake doesn't use firearms, but that actually helps make him feel more accurate by making his playstyle more strategic with his explosives.

As a mecanic, I think matching would have more priority than chaining for Arle, because when you think about it, combos and traps are themselves the fighting game equivalent of those.
Snake is a really good example, partly since adept :ultsnake: players can be some of the most difficult opponents to even touch. Between his grenades, C4, grabs etc. Of course, Snake's very vurnerable once he's opened up, but he's an excellent case of how effective a "trapper" can be.

Arle could certainly follow a somewhat similar mold. That or :ultpacman: .

Plus, he didn't get any Crazy Giant, Crazy Beast, Crazy Edges, Crazy Shadow, Crazy Fortress, or Crazy Core forms.
I don't think I want to imagine what Crazy Fortress would look like.

Just Master Hand though. Poor old Crazy always getting the short end of the stick, first he doesn't appear in Subspace Emissary, then he doesn't get to be playable in WOL.
Which is a shame, but Crazy's also had some memorable moments to him - the initial appearance (which was a major "WTF" moment) and Crazy Orders. Honestly, I'm not sure why they removed Master / Crazy Orders from Ultimate, those were pretty interesting modes.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Which is a shame, but Crazy's also had some memorable moments to him - the initial appearance (which was a major "WTF" moment) and Crazy Orders. Honestly, I'm not sure why they removed Master / Crazy Orders from Ultimate, those were pretty interesting modes.
I still find it crazy we didn't get Smash Run back at all. That had around 80 unique enemies and a fun map to go through. Really surprised they didn't bother bringing it to Ultimate. Maybe updating those models took too much work? It's a shame since it's personally more replayable than most other Smash modes.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Kinda random, but I've made a moveset for Yuri Lowell.

Lately I've been replaying Tales of Vesperia quite a bit, and well, I've never made a in depth moveset for a character before. Usually never felt like doing it, and when I did, I always felt like I wasn't really good at it so I never tried to. But lately I have felt certain inspiration with Yuri while replaying his game and discovering things I missed the first time. Which is somewhat ironic because he isn't one of my most wanteds for Smash, even if I like him and I'd prefer him in case we get a Tales representative.

It's not a full moveset though. I'll appreciate criticisms or suggestions, because this being my first attempt at doing a moveset, it'll probably have some bad ideas or parts that could be improved. In any case doing this was very fun and natural for me, because despite not having "a Tales character" as one of my priorities for Smash, I think a character from Tales it's a very interesting idea in terms of moveset and playstyle, and I believe Yuri (or whoever they pick) would end convincing a lot of those people who might not be very enthusiastic about the prospect of a Tales fighter.

So, without further ado...

About Yuri...

Yuri Lowell is a 21 year old that lives in Zaphias, the capital of the Empire that exists in the world of Terca Lumireis. He was once a part of the Imperial Knights which he joined with Flynn, a friend he knew since both were kids, until he decided to leave and live life his own way. He resides in the lower district of Zaphias with Repede, a loyal dog creature. In the beginning of Tales of Vesperia, he will meet Estelle, and a series of events will force him to leave his hometown with Estelle and start an unpredictable adventure across the world.

I guess Yuri could be defined as a "cool guy" in a first impression, and while I certainly agree with that, he's someone that also cares about others while not really showing his emotions, or at least, not at first. He's kinda laidback but also a determined guy with a kinda sassy sense of humor.

An interesting aspect of the character is that, videogame/JRPG protagonists are usually heroic characters or depicted that way. We're the good guys and usually games don't make us question that. It's not like Yuri is the complete opposite of all that, but one of the things I really like about him is that while he has good intentions and he's a nice dude, he is also prepared for doing anything necessary to make things right according to his views and his morality, which sometimes brings him to do questionable acts that we don't usually see with most main characters in videogames. This is an important part of the arc of Yuri as a character in Tales of Vesperia, where he has to confront himself and other close people about his decisions.

He wields the Second Star, the sword that appears in the first image.

From now on I'll refer Tales of Vesperia as "ToV".

Mobility and Weight

I picture him as a fast fighter in terms of ground speed, with a decent air mobility, but nothing crazy. In the ground, he would be similarly fast to characters such as Cloud. In the air, his mobility would be better than Ike's, but not that much, which would match Yuri's air mobility in his origin game.

In terms of weight I think a middle place between Joker and Pyra, to name other DLC characters, would be fitting with the character and at the same time, quite balanced with what he's capable to do.

Playstyle

Yuri would probably be considered a rushdown character. His playstyle is certainly offensive, because he will always want to be close to you and not letting you breath for even a second. He has tools to make combo strings in a relatively easy way, therefore, most of his attacks don't inflict a lot of damage. I like to imagine him like an accessible character to pick up and do some cool stuff, but with some depth that would be harder to achieve if you're not familiar with his moveset and attributes.

As anyone could imagine, he uses his sword Second Star as his main weapon. However he wields it in a unconventional way most of the time, with his fighting style also being quite unorthodox, because he frequently incorpores his fists in his attacks. In ToV his fists are a part of his most basic attacks. He also uses his fists and even his legs in some of his specials, which in the Tales series are called Artes.

About Artes

Some of his Artes work for some of his and obviously, his Specials will involve the Artes he uses in his game. However for this I decided to take some liberties. First of all, there are different type of Artes in ToV: Base Artes, Arcane Artes, Altered Artes, Burst Artes and Mystic Artes. Burst Artes and Mystic Artes won't be used for his regular moves, just for his Final Smash. Artes are usually stronger and more flashy attacks which require magic points. In Yuri's case, most of his Artes are melee attacks.

In ToV at first you can only link Arcane Artes with Base Artes, in that order. So the best thing you can do is: 3 consecutive basic attacks > Base Arte > Arcane Arte. However you can learn different skills while proggresing the game that will allow you to do more cool things, like being able to do more basic attacks consecutively, and more importantly, being able to chain different type of Artes in any order.

Basic Artes are usually simpler and quicker, which don't require a lot of magic.
Arcane Artes are usually stronger and demand more magic points.
Altered Artes are more varied, and these only trigger if you have certain skills equipped. Altered Artes, as it's name implies, are Altered versions of Basic/Arcane Artes.

Yuri's Gimmick

As I said, Yuri's specials will involve some of the Artes he uses in ToV. However, he will have access to 8 Special Moves instead of 4, as usual with other character. How it works?
The first set of 4 Artes will trigger if you press B once, down B, side B or up B. But by holding the B button instead of pressing the button just once, Yuri will trigger a different Arte, also depending on the direction.

The first 4 Artes, the ones you trigger with pressing B once, would be 4 Base Artes. The other 4 Artes, the ones that will activate when you hold the B button, will be either Arcane or Altered Artes in ToV. However I'll take some liberties here, and all of these 4 will be called Arcane Artes to simplify things, and will work as Arcane Artes even if some are Altered Artes in Yuri's game.

The idea of the "hold the B button to trigger a different attack" came from ToV, where Burst Artes, only accessible through Overlimit, can only be activated when the player holds the attack button. Obviously, this whole idea isn't new to Smash because we have characters that will trigger different attacks if the player presses the button once or holds it, which would be the case for fighters like Ken. However that is something that hasn't been explored for the Specials, as far as I know.
If necessary, the startup animations for the Arcane Artes could be somewhat different and edited to match the startup animations of the Base Artes, because some of the pairs of Artes I've chosen for each direction might suppose a problem in terms of startup animations if you wanna link certain specials.

Yuri will be able to chain his tilts and his neutral attacks up to 4 times. He will be capable of linking his tilts, neutral attacks and some of his aerials into all of his 8 Special moves, Base and Arcane Artes. And as we established earlier he's able to chain a Base Arte with an Arcane Arte, plus being able to chain a Base Arte into another Base Arte. So in Smash, he would be able to do this:

Neutral Attack, Down Tilt, Up Tilt, Up Tilt --> Base Arte --> Arcane Arte.

But the player could also do:

Down Tilt, Down Tilt, Neutral Attack, Foward Tilt --> Arcane Arte

Or:

Forward Tilt, Forward Tilt --> Base Arte --> Base Arte

Or:

Down Air --> Base Arte --> Arcane Arte

And so on. All of this only applies to Yuri when he is in the ground, except the last example, where he uses Down Air while falling, and then proceeds to chain it with his Artes once he's in the ground. Unlike to ToV, Yuri in Smash will be able to cancel his aerials into his 2 versions of Up B, but that could leave him a bit exposed if used carelessly.

Yuri can also chain his tilts and his neutral attack with other certain moves, such as jab (Cerberus Strike), his smash attack (Lone Wolf Charge), his up smash, or his down smash (Destruction Field)

Moves (the ones marked with * will have some type of variation explained within the spoiler)

Normals

*Jab: Cerberus Strike. A quick succession of punches that will trigger if the player mashes the A button.

If the player still mashes the button, Yuri will use Cerberus Blast, where he still punches his enemy in a quick succession but adds a slash of his sword at the end:

Neutral Attack. A quick slash of Yuri's sword, his basic attack in ToV. Yuri will swing his sword each time the player presses the button. Yuri will be able to do up to 4 consecutive slashes, if the player presses the A button 4 times. If the player presses the button 3 times, Yuri will swing his sword 3 times, and so on. This move can be mixed up with his tilts in any order, as I explained before:

Up Tilt. Yuri hits his opponent upwards. He can do it up to 4 times as well. It's a bit slower in comparison to his other basic moves, so it can be harder to chain attacks for Yuri if he uses up tilt consecutively, but it does a bit more damage than his other tilts.

Forward Tilt. Yuri thrusts his sword once forward, then alternates with a punch. This sequence repeats one more time if the player presses the A button 4 times. So slash, punch, slash, punch.

Down Tilt. Yuri does a quick spin and hits the legs of the opponent, first with his fists followed by his sword, and then he deals another slash of his sword. The gif inside the spoiler only shows Yuri doing the attack one, but as I said earlier, he will be able to do this up to 4 times.

Example of mixing Yuri's tilts with his neutral attack:

Dash attack: Concealed Wave. A strong impact where Yuri uses his sword kinda like a shield to hit the opponent. The gif within the spoiler doesn't show Yuri running before he does this Arte, but he's able to do that in ToV. And even if that wasn't the case, I don't think it's hard to imagine this move as a dash attack at all.

Up Smash: Shining Eagle. Yuri spins around himself and does a low slash that creates a diagonal explosion, so it can hit opponents without necessarily being super close to Yuri. It can be somewhat familiar of Terry's Power Geyser, only that this move isn't as powerful and the range of the impact isn't as large at all. In my mind, Shining Eagle's explosion would reach the lower platforms of Battlefield, but it wouldn't go very much further.

*Forward Smash: Lone Wolf Charge. A two hit charged Smash attack that summons a ghostly wolf head.

Charged Smash Attack: Lone Wolf Storm. If fully charged, the attack will have more reach and a different look, but it will leave Yuri more exposed.

Down Smash: Destruction Field. Yuri strikes the ground with his sword after doing a jump, creating a strong impact. It can hit multiple opponents if they're close enough.

As I said earlier, Yuri can use his neutral or tilts, and then link them into either Up Smash, Forward Smash, Down Smash or even his Dash attack. An example of this would be the following gif, which will show Yuri doing down tilt 2 times, then Shining Eagle (Up Smash):

However, if Yuri decides to do a sequence like this one, ending with a Smash attack, said Smash attack couldn't be charged. And if it wasn't clear, I decided that Yuri wouldn't be able to chain Smash attacks into any of his Special moves, for balance purposes and for the sake of not making things overcomplicated.

Grabs

Here, I'm making things up a little bit. After all grabs are not a thing in Tales.

Yuri will grab his rival by catching the shoulder of his rival. After that:

- Pummel: I don't have anything here visually speaking, but I think Yuri pummeling his opponent with the base of his sword (like the last hit of Sephiroth's jab) multiple times would be fitting for him.

For his throws, I'm using some of his artes:

Up Throw: Fang Strike.

Forward Throw: Raging Blast.

Back Throw: Wolf Strike. Yuri brings his rival to the other side first, then proceeds to punching him/her.

Down Throw: Shining Fang Drop.

Specials

Normal Up B: Tiger Blade. Yuri rises to the air, bringing the enemy with him after a quick slash, then proceeds to punch the foe two times, the first punch takes place in the air and the second one brings the enemy to the ground with Yuri, similar to Ike's Up B.

Hold Up B: Wailing Havoc. A stronger Up B where Yuri punches, kicks and finally slashes his enemy in the air. Itwill cause a certain knockback to the enemy. The player can somewhat control the direction of Yuri when he's falling.

Normal Side B: Ghost Wolf. Yuri moves quickly, being able to teleport behind enemies and then hit them with a quick slash. This move kinda works like Sephiroth's Up B in the sense that it's useful for recovery. This will be the only Side B that will trigger while Yuri is in the hair. The blow at the end will only trigger if Yuri has succesfully teleported behind an enemy.

*Hold Side B: Dragon Swarm. A spinning attack where Yuri strikes the enemy with his sword and his legs. Kinda similar to Sephiroth's Up B, with the difference that you can only do it horizontally. It can be canceled if the player presses the guard button at the correct time.

It can be canceled if the player presses the guard button at the correct time:

Normal Neutral B: Final Gale. Two quick slashes, with the second one creating a projectile of wind element. The projectile itself is quick. Covers around 50-60% of the stage.

Hold Neutral B: Frigid Blast. Similar to Final Gale, here Yuri creates an ice projectile with two slashes of his sword and then pushes it to his opponent. It's stronger than Final Gale, though it has a longer animation. The projectile itself covers around 40-50% of the stage, and it's a bit slower than Final Gale.

Normal Down B: Crushing Eagle. Yuri quickly sticks his sword in the ground, creating a close range impact. In the air, this is the only Down B Yuri can use.

Hold Down B: Guardian Field. Similar to the previous version, Yuri sticks his sword in the ground, creating a seal around him that will damage enemies in contact with the circle. Guardian Field doesn't deal a lot of damage but it's a good move to stun enemies. If Yuri connects this move, Yuri will heal himself a little bit. It can affect multiple opponents, but if Yuri uses this move without hitting an enemy, he will not heal himself. Unlike Crushing Eagle, this move lasts longer, but it also leaves Yuri more exposed if he fails.

Final Smash: Heavenly Bladewing

The start up animation will came from Yuri's Burst Artes, which are only accessible when he's in Overlimit in ToV. He has different Burst Artes, but all of them start with Yuri punching the ground and causing an impact around him, like this:

If the impact around Yuri hits an opponent, his Final Smash will immediately start: his second Mystic Art: Heavenly Bladewing:

The animation wouldn't be as long as in ToV, it should be shorter, just like Joker's All Out Attack was shorter in comparison to the original in Persona 5. Heavenly Bladewing would still feature the anime portrait of Yuri at the end, making this a very cinematic and cool loking Final Smash.

Some would argue his first Mystic Arte would be more appropiate for multiple reasons. But despite being cool, we already have some Final Smashes similar to his first Mystic Arte, like Greninja's. And Heavenly Bladewing holds more meaning, without going into much detail. That, and well, I just like this one more than the first one lol.

Victory Screens

1. Yuri swings his sword around him a little bit and then he poses with his sword on his right shoulder.

2. Yuri front flips while kicking his sword into the air, only to catch it later.

3. Yuri plays a bit with his sword while laughing, now accompanied by Repede, who howls with energy.

Alts

Alternate costumes are a staple in the Tales games, and Tales of Vesperia isn't an exception. The game has plenty of different costumes for each character including Yuri, some of them are more in the funny/stupid side while others are more serious. I've decided to stick with serious/normal costumes for him, which also happen to be my favorite (lol). He has 4 unique alts, each one with a color variation. The unique alts would be

1. His main design and more well known look:

2. His Imperial Knight outfit, which he used when he was a Knight before the events of Tales of Vesperia:

3. His True Knight design. Fun fact: it seems it's a very, VERY popular design of him, because it has even got an official figure, when as far as I know it isn't a canonically outfit:

4. His Dark Enforcer outfit, also quite popular... and very hard to get in Tales of Vesperia. It's very easy to miss because you have to see a sequence of events in the game in a very small window of time, otherwise you won't be able to complete the sidequest and won't receive this outfit:

Music

His victory song would be a snippet from Ring a Bell, the main theme of the game (0:16 to 0:21 of this video could work, I believe)

About the music selection, I'm going to stick with what I'm familiar with Tales. I'm sure there are great tracks in other entries, but I already invested quite the time into this and right now I'm not feeling like exploring soundtracks of games I'm not familiar with. As of now I've played Symphonia and Vesperia, so the list comes from those 2 games:

Well... that's it. A bit long I guess. As I said, any suggestions would be nice, after all I figure I could improve this. I skipped the taunts and the aerial moves because well, I didn't feel like doing those, specially the aerials, which are a very small part of Yuri's moveset in his game, so in Smash his aerials would probably be random slashes or just some extracts from the few aerial Artes he has.

Also, honorable mention goes to SharkLord SharkLord , who kindly listened and read my (very long) ideas about making a moveset for Yuri. Thanks!

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Though it might be because those hands were playable at one point in the game.
It’s wild that I actually forget you can play as Master Hand in WoL. It’s such a sick feature that’s sadly buried at the very end of the game. They definitely need to give us a mode where you can play as the Hands against friends. It’d be a bit of a bummer if they went out of their way to let us finally play as Master Hand, only for it to be in that one short segment.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I don't think I want to imagine what Crazy Fortress would look like.
That leads to my brain hatching this idea: Smash 6 should introduce Crazy Core as its big bad (similar to Brawl's Tabuu, Smash 4's Master Core, and Ultimate's Galeem and Dharkon).

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It’s wild that I actually forget you can play as Master Hand in WoL.
Well, they only give you the opportunity to play as him in a single 3-5 minute battle and the only way to replay that segment is literally going through the entire 20 hour WOL mode again, so I wouldn't be surprised at you or anyone else for forgetting.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Well, they only give you the opportunity to play as him in a single 3-5 minute battle and the only way to replay that segment is literally going through the entire 20 hour WOL mode again, so I wouldn't be surprised at you or anyone else for forgetting.
Or you could copy the file before the fight. Then, when you wanna play the hand again, you copy the copy, then play the first copy. And so on and so on.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Or you could copy the file before the fight. Then, when you wanna play the hand again, you copy the copy, then play the first copy. And so on and so on.
I mean I guess you could do that too, however inconvenient that would be, but if you were playing through blind the first time (which a good chunk of people would be), then it would be a little too late, since it's not really foreshadowed. And most people I know barely had the patience to play through the first time, let alone a second time.

I think it would still be nicer to just give us a mode to play as him rather than force us to copy files every single time.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly my one gripe with Arle is how I don't see how the hell Puyo Chains can be implemented properly as the idea sounds too bizarre to work as simple stage control blocks that connect
Maybe it's a less direct method. Throw Puyos, each Puyo that connects builds up a gauge that empties when smashes are used and increase the damage output, empties if you miss a Puyo and you have to build it back up from there

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
You guys see this image of every Ultimate character drawn in Cuphead style?

Source.

He even did the premium Miis!

Odd that he included the Hands, but not the other bosses though.
He also did Waluigi for April Fools, but evidently didn't put him in the final (for now) mural. Understandable, as he's not playable - the only unplayable character not part of any other fighter's moveset to have the distinction of being included in this project so far, in fact - but it would have been nice to see him up there. Not an unfamiliar sentiment, I'll admit.

But who knows, maybe there'll be reason to put him up there eventually...

Technomage

Smash Champion
I do wonder what it would be like if Master Hand was playable in Ultimate, and in the traditional way; what would that have been like (besides shrinking the hand, of course)?

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I do wonder what it would be like if Master Hand was playable in Ultimate, and in the traditional way; what would that have been like (besides shrinking the hand, of course)?
I mean if there are fighting games that let you play as giant tanks, I imagine a floating hand's not out of the realm of possibilities. Like my idea for King Boo, he'd have a gap between the ground and his body (body? hand? his entire self? idk how you describe the wholeness of a sentient hand) where he would basically "stand". He has tons of attacks to pull from too from his existing movesets throughout Smash history. His grab would be... obvious to say the least.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Due to the melee glitch, they were pretty much obligated to have Master Hand playable here in some form. Otherwise it truly wouldn't have been "Everyone is Here"
Mew2King perfected the Giga Bowser matchup when he faced a cheater who used that character in Slippi:

So I can't wait until he perfects the Master Hand matchup as well. :4pacman:

As an actual serious character?

• He'd have to float close to the ground at the very least. Saying this because I really don't want to imagine a character that's entirely immune to D-Tilts / D-Smashes.
  • Most of his attacks would have to be shortened, some might be removed entirely (the ones when he flies in from the background primarily since it takes a long time).
  • Still though, most of his attacks could remain intact in some form (Lasers, grab, fingerwalk, slap) and he'd be fine.
  • Probably super-heavy to retain his boss status in some form. Slow on the ground, but maybe somewhat quick in the air.
  • Since he'd likely be combo food he would have to be able to survive for a pretty long time. Giving him at least a decent recovery might be a good idea.
  • Not the best defensive game I'd imagine, but a very potent offensive one due to his attacks having still-wide reach, good coverage and solid damage output.
  • Watching the hand suffer knockback and spin around would be the funniest ****. Imagine him getting Star / Screen KOed.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Kinda random, but I've made a moveset for Yuri Lowell.

Lately I've been replaying Tales of Vesperia quite a bit, and well, I've never made a in depth moveset for a character before. Usually never felt like doing it, and when I did, I always felt like I wasn't really good at it so I never tried to. But lately I have felt certain inspiration with Yuri while replaying his game and discovering things I missed the first time. Which is somewhat ironic because he isn't one of my most wanteds for Smash, even if I like him and I'd prefer him in case we get a Tales representative.

It's not a full moveset though. I'll appreciate criticisms or suggestions, because this being my first attempt at doing a moveset, it'll probably have some bad ideas or parts that could be improved. In any case doing this was very fun and natural for me, because despite not having "a Tales character" as one of my priorities for Smash, I think a character from Tales it's a very interesting idea in terms of moveset and playstyle, and I believe Yuri (or whoever they pick) would end convincing a lot of those people who might not be very enthusiastic about the prospect of a Tales fighter.

So, without further ado...

About Yuri...

Yuri Lowell is a 21 year old that lives in Zaphias, the capital of the Empire that exists in the world of Terca Lumireis. He was once a part of the Imperial Knights which he joined with Flynn, a friend he knew since both were kids, until he decided to leave and live life his own way. He resides in the lower district of Zaphias with Repede, a loyal dog creature. In the beginning of Tales of Vesperia, he will meet Estelle, and a series of events will force him to leave his hometown with Estelle and start an unpredictable adventure across the world.

I guess Yuri could be defined as a "cool guy" in a first impression, and while I certainly agree with that, he's someone that also cares about others while not really showing his emotions, or at least, not at first. He's kinda laidback but also a determined guy with a kinda sassy sense of humor.

An interesting aspect of the character is that, videogame/JRPG protagonists are usually heroic characters or depicted that way. We're the good guys and usually games don't make us question that. It's not like Yuri is the complete opposite of all that, but one of the things I really like about him is that while he has good intentions and he's a nice dude, he is also prepared for doing anything necessary to make things right according to his views and his morality, which sometimes brings him to do questionable acts that we don't usually see with most main characters in videogames. This is an important part of the arc of Yuri as a character in Tales of Vesperia, where he has to confront himself and other close people about his decisions.

He wields the Second Star, the sword that appears in the first image.

From now on I'll refer Tales of Vesperia as "ToV".

Mobility and Weight

I picture him as a fast fighter in terms of ground speed, with a decent air mobility, but nothing crazy. In the ground, he would be similarly fast to characters such as Cloud. In the air, his mobility would be better than Ike's, but not that much, which would match Yuri's air mobility in his origin game.

In terms of weight I think a middle place between Joker and Pyra, to name other DLC characters, would be fitting with the character and at the same time, quite balanced with what he's capable to do.

Playstyle

Yuri would probably be considered a rushdown character. His playstyle is certainly offensive, because he will always want to be close to you and not letting you breath for even a second. He has tools to make combo strings in a relatively easy way, therefore, most of his attacks don't inflict a lot of damage. I like to imagine him like an accessible character to pick up and do some cool stuff, but with some depth that would be harder to achieve if you're not familiar with his moveset and attributes.

As anyone could imagine, he uses his sword Second Star as his main weapon. However he wields it in a unconventional way most of the time, with his fighting style also being quite unorthodox, because he frequently incorpores his fists in his attacks. In ToV his fists are a part of his most basic attacks. He also uses his fists and even his legs in some of his specials, which in the Tales series are called Artes.

About Artes

Some of his Artes work for some of his and obviously, his Specials will involve the Artes he uses in his game. However for this I decided to take some liberties. First of all, there are different type of Artes in ToV: Base Artes, Arcane Artes, Altered Artes, Burst Artes and Mystic Artes. Burst Artes and Mystic Artes won't be used for his regular moves, just for his Final Smash. Artes are usually stronger and more flashy attacks which require magic points. In Yuri's case, most of his Artes are melee attacks.

In ToV at first you can only link Arcane Artes with Base Artes, in that order. So the best thing you can do is: 3 consecutive basic attacks > Base Arte > Arcane Arte. However you can learn different skills while proggresing the game that will allow you to do more cool things, like being able to do more basic attacks consecutively, and more importantly, being able to chain different type of Artes in any order.

Basic Artes are usually simpler and quicker, which don't require a lot of magic.
Arcane Artes are usually stronger and demand more magic points.
Altered Artes are more varied, and these only trigger if you have certain skills equipped. Altered Artes, as it's name implies, are Altered versions of Basic/Arcane Artes.

Yuri's Gimmick

As I said, Yuri's specials will involve some of the Artes he uses in ToV. However, he will have access to 8 Special Moves instead of 4, as usual with other character. How it works?
The first set of 4 Artes will trigger if you press B once, down B, side B or up B. But by holding the B button instead of pressing the button just once, Yuri will trigger a different Arte, also depending on the direction.

The first 4 Artes, the ones you trigger with pressing B once, would be 4 Base Artes. The other 4 Artes, the ones that will activate when you hold the B button, will be either Arcane or Altered Artes in ToV. However I'll take some liberties here, and all of these 4 will be called Arcane Artes to simplify things, and will work as Arcane Artes even if some are Altered Artes in Yuri's game.

The idea of the "hold the B button to trigger a different attack" came from ToV, where Burst Artes, only accessible through Overlimit, can only be activated when the player holds the attack button. Obviously, this whole idea isn't new to Smash because we have characters that will trigger different attacks if the player presses the button once or holds it, which would be the case for fighters like Ken. However that is something that hasn't been explored for the Specials, as far as I know.
If necessary, the startup animations for the Arcane Artes could be somewhat different and edited to match the startup animations of the Base Artes, because some of the pairs of Artes I've chosen for each direction might suppose a problem in terms of startup animations if you wanna link certain specials.

Yuri will be able to chain his tilts and his neutral attacks up to 4 times. He will be capable of linking his tilts, neutral attacks and some of his aerials into all of his 8 Special moves, Base and Arcane Artes. And as we established earlier he's able to chain a Base Arte with an Arcane Arte, plus being able to chain a Base Arte into another Base Arte. So in Smash, he would be able to do this:

Neutral Attack, Down Tilt, Up Tilt, Up Tilt --> Base Arte --> Arcane Arte.

But the player could also do:

Down Tilt, Down Tilt, Neutral Attack, Foward Tilt --> Arcane Arte

Or:

Forward Tilt, Forward Tilt --> Base Arte --> Base Arte

Or:

Down Air --> Base Arte --> Arcane Arte

And so on. All of this only applies to Yuri when he is in the ground, except the last example, where he uses Down Air while falling, and then proceeds to chain it with his Artes once he's in the ground. Unlike to ToV, Yuri in Smash will be able to cancel his aerials into his 2 versions of Up B, but that could leave him a bit exposed if used carelessly.

Yuri can also chain his tilts and his neutral attack with other certain moves, such as jab (Cerberus Strike), his smash attack (Lone Wolf Charge), his up smash, or his down smash (Destruction Field)

Moves (the ones marked with * will have some type of variation explained within the spoiler)

Normals

*Jab: Cerberus Strike. A quick succession of punches that will trigger if the player mashes the A button.

If the player still mashes the button, Yuri will use Cerberus Blast, where he still punches his enemy in a quick succession but adds a slash of his sword at the end:

Neutral Attack. A quick slash of Yuri's sword, his basic attack in ToV. Yuri will swing his sword each time the player presses the button. Yuri will be able to do up to 4 consecutive slashes, if the player presses the A button 4 times. If the player presses the button 3 times, Yuri will swing his sword 3 times, and so on. This move can be mixed up with his tilts in any order, as I explained before:

Up Tilt. Yuri hits his opponent upwards. He can do it up to 4 times as well. It's a bit slower in comparison to his other basic moves, so it can be harder to chain attacks for Yuri if he uses up tilt consecutively, but it does a bit more damage than his other tilts.

Forward Tilt. Yuri thrusts his sword once forward, then alternates with a punch. This sequence repeats one more time if the player presses the A button 4 times. So slash, punch, slash, punch.

Down Tilt. Yuri does a quick spin and hits the legs of the opponent, first with his fists followed by his sword, and then he deals another slash of his sword. The gif inside the spoiler only shows Yuri doing the attack one, but as I said earlier, he will be able to do this up to 4 times.

Example of mixing Yuri's tilts with his neutral attack:

Dash attack: Concealed Wave. A strong impact where Yuri uses his sword kinda like a shield to hit the opponent. The gif within the spoiler doesn't show Yuri running before he does this Arte, but he's able to do that in ToV. And even if that wasn't the case, I don't think it's hard to imagine this move as a dash attack at all.

Up Smash: Shining Eagle. Yuri spins around himself and does a low slash that creates a diagonal explosion, so it can hit opponents without necessarily being super close to Yuri. It can be somewhat familiar of Terry's Power Geyser, only that this move isn't as powerful and the range of the impact isn't as large at all. In my mind, Shining Eagle's explosion would reach the lower platforms of Battlefield, but it wouldn't go very much further.

*Forward Smash: Lone Wolf Charge. A two hit charged Smash attack that summons a ghostly wolf head.

Charged Smash Attack: Lone Wolf Storm. If fully charged, the attack will have more reach and a different look, but it will leave Yuri more exposed.

Down Smash: Destruction Field. Yuri strikes the ground with his sword after doing a jump, creating a strong impact. It can hit multiple opponents if they're close enough.

As I said earlier, Yuri can use his neutral or tilts, and then link them into either Up Smash, Forward Smash, Down Smash or even his Dash attack. An example of this would be the following gif, which will show Yuri doing down tilt 2 times, then Shining Eagle (Up Smash):

However, if Yuri decides to do a sequence like this one, ending with a Smash attack, said Smash attack couldn't be charged. And if it wasn't clear, I decided that Yuri wouldn't be able to chain Smash attacks into any of his Special moves, for balance purposes and for the sake of not making things overcomplicated.

Grabs

Here, I'm making things up a little bit. After all grabs are not a thing in Tales.

Yuri will grab his rival by catching the shoulder of his rival. After that:

- Pummel: I don't have anything here visually speaking, but I think Yuri pummeling his opponent with the base of his sword (like the last hit of Sephiroth's jab) multiple times would be fitting for him.

For his throws, I'm using some of his artes:

Up Throw: Fang Strike.

Forward Throw: Raging Blast.

Back Throw: Wolf Strike. Yuri brings his rival to the other side first, then proceeds to punching him/her.

Down Throw: Shining Fang Drop.

Specials

Normal Up B: Tiger Blade. Yuri rises to the air, bringing the enemy with him after a quick slash, then proceeds to punch the foe two times, the first punch takes place in the air and the second one brings the enemy to the ground with Yuri, similar to Ike's Up B.

Hold Up B: Wailing Havoc. A stronger Up B where Yuri punches, kicks and finally slashes his enemy in the air. Itwill cause a certain knockback to the enemy. The player can somewhat control the direction of Yuri when he's falling.

Normal Side B: Ghost Wolf. Yuri moves quickly, being able to teleport behind enemies and then hit them with a quick slash. This move kinda works like Sephiroth's Up B in the sense that it's useful for recovery. This will be the only Side B that will trigger while Yuri is in the hair. The blow at the end will only trigger if Yuri has succesfully teleported behind an enemy.

*Hold Side B: Dragon Swarm. A spinning attack where Yuri strikes the enemy with his sword and his legs. Kinda similar to Sephiroth's Up B, with the difference that you can only do it horizontally. It can be canceled if the player presses the guard button at the correct time.

It can be canceled if the player presses the guard button at the correct time:

Normal Neutral B: Final Gale. Two quick slashes, with the second one creating a projectile of wind element. The projectile itself is quick. Covers around 50-60% of the stage.

Hold Neutral B: Frigid Blast. Similar to Final Gale, here Yuri creates an ice projectile with two slashes of his sword and then pushes it to his opponent. It's stronger than Final Gale, though it has a longer animation. The projectile itself covers around 40-50% of the stage, and it's a bit slower than Final Gale.

Normal Down B: Crushing Eagle. Yuri quickly sticks his sword in the ground, creating a close range impact. In the air, this is the only Down B Yuri can use.

Hold Down B: Guardian Field. Similar to the previous version, Yuri sticks his sword in the ground, creating a seal around him that will damage enemies in contact with the circle. Guardian Field doesn't deal a lot of damage but it's a good move to stun enemies. If Yuri connects this move, Yuri will heal himself a little bit. It can affect multiple opponents, but if Yuri uses this move without hitting an enemy, he will not heal himself. Unlike Crushing Eagle, this move lasts longer, but it also leaves Yuri more exposed if he fails.

Final Smash: Heavenly Bladewing

The start up animation will came from Yuri's Burst Artes, which are only accessible when he's in Overlimit in ToV. He has different Burst Artes, but all of them start with Yuri punching the ground and causing an impact around him, like this:

If the impact around Yuri hits an opponent, his Final Smash will immediately start: his second Mystic Art: Heavenly Bladewing:

The animation wouldn't be as long as in ToV, it should be shorter, just like Joker's All Out Attack was shorter in comparison to the original in Persona 5. Heavenly Bladewing would still feature the anime portrait of Yuri at the end, making this a very cinematic and cool loking Final Smash.

Some would argue his first Mystic Arte would be more appropiate for multiple reasons. But despite being cool, we already have some Final Smashes similar to his first Mystic Arte, like Greninja's. And Heavenly Bladewing holds more meaning, without going into much detail. That, and well, I just like this one more than the first one lol.

Victory Screens

1. Yuri swings his sword around him a little bit and then he poses with his sword on his right shoulder.

2. Yuri front flips while kicking his sword into the air, only to catch it later.

3. Yuri plays a bit with his sword while laughing, now accompanied by Repede, who howls with energy.

Alts

Alternate costumes are a staple in the Tales games, and Tales of Vesperia isn't an exception. The game has plenty of different costumes for each character including Yuri, some of them are more in the funny/stupid side while others are more serious. I've decided to stick with serious/normal costumes for him, which also happen to be my favorite (lol). He has 4 unique alts, each one with a color variation. The unique alts would be

1. His main design and more well known look:

2. His Imperial Knight outfit, which he used when he was a Knight before the events of Tales of Vesperia:

3. His True Knight design. Fun fact: it seems it's a very, VERY popular design of him, because it has even got an official figure, when as far as I know it isn't a canonically outfit:

4. His Dark Enforcer outfit, also quite popular... and very hard to get in Tales of Vesperia. It's very easy to miss because you have to see a sequence of events in the game in a very small window of time, otherwise you won't be able to complete the sidequest and won't receive this outfit:

Music

His victory song would be a snippet from Ring a Bell, the main theme of the game (0:16 to 0:21 of this video could work, I believe)

About the music selection, I'm going to stick with what I'm familiar with Tales. I'm sure there are great tracks in other entries, but I already invested quite the time into this and right now I'm not feeling like exploring soundtracks of games I'm not familiar with. As of now I've played Symphonia and Vesperia, so the list comes from those 2 games:

Well... that's it. A bit long I guess. As I said, any suggestions would be nice, after all I figure I could improve this. I skipped the taunts and the aerial moves because well, I didn't feel like doing those, specially the aerials, which are a very small part of Yuri's moveset in his game, so in Smash his aerials would probably be random slashes or just some extracts from the few aerial Artes he has.

Also, honorable mention goes to SharkLord SharkLord , who kindly listened and read my (very long) ideas about making a moveset for Yuri. Thanks!

We'd love to see this posted on the Yuri Support Thread, if you want!

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Mew2King perfected the Giga Bowser matchup when he faced a cheater who used that character in Slippi:

So I can't wait until he perfects the Master Hand matchup as well. :4pacman:

As an actual serious character?

• He'd have to float close to the ground at the very least. Saying this because I really don't want to imagine a character that's entirely immune to D-Tilts / D-Smashes.
  • Most of his attacks would have to be shortened, some might be removed entirely (the ones when he flies in from the background primarily since it takes a long time).
  • Still though, most of his attacks could remain intact in some form (Lasers, grab, fingerwalk, slap) and he'd be fine.
  • Probably super-heavy to retain his boss status in some form. Slow on the ground, but maybe somewhat quick in the air.
  • Since he'd likely be combo food he would have to be able to survive for a pretty long time. Giving him at least a decent recovery might be a good idea.
  • Not the best defensive game I'd imagine, but a very potent offensive one due to his attacks having still-wide reach, good coverage and solid damage output.
  • Watching the hand suffer knockback and spin around would be the funniest ****. Imagine him getting Star / Screen KOed.
You know, whenever I make fan movesets, I sometimes use my hands to pose out how I imagine characters doing their actions. If it's complex, I use an art manequin or something. Helps me feel how the character would play. I love and hate how while trying to imagine how Master Hand could work I was just able to use my entire hand as his hitbox XD

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Hm. Actual footage came out about the 4chan "leak". Still looks fake imo, but ngl, I dig the aesthetic.

Something about this just feels off. It doesn't have the same shading, or the same texture definition. It doesn't look like an actual Smash cutscene or trailer, is what I'm saying.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If Bewear somehow is getting promoted, wouldn't they make its fur more detailed, considering :ultlucario::ultincineroar:? Or do they think its design is cutesy enough to do the :ultpikachu::ultpichu: route with its fur?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom