• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, he just said "There's only two more opportunities left to do this." On the other hand...
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Mr. Sakurai Presents "Pyra/Mythra" - YouTube
At around the 36:00 mark, he says "Only two more DLC fighters remain." Not FP2 or video presentation, just DLC fighters in general. Unless he's lying out of his rear end, it sounds like DLC fighters in general are done after CP11. Assuming there's even a bonus at all, I think it'll just be a stage or a Mii or something.
On the other hand... he's mentioned that development would end entirely after FP2 is complete during Famitsu columns... so unless this is literally some random addition to FP2 they decided to include, by all accounts anything extra would be inconsistent with what we've been told. (And tbh I don't think an additional fighter or stage or Mii costume being added to FP2 makes sense due to inconsistent pricing and stuff.)

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
On the other hand... he's mentioned that development would end entirely after FP2 is complete during Famitsu columns... so unless this is literally some random addition to FP2 they decided to include, by all accounts anything extra would be inconsistent with what we've been told. (And tbh I don't think an additional fighter or stage or Mii costume being added to FP2 makes sense due to inconsistent pricing and stuff.)
Yeah, I'm thinking the AU/NA thing was either a funny coincidence or just an error. He'll probably stick around a little longer for a couple bug fixes, but I'm thinking we really won't get anything major after CP11.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Technically it wouldn't be inconsistent. If this is something that's developed for or around FP2, then it could be considered a part of FP2 Development process, so it would count

Plus to be honest, I don't think Development would stop fully. There will probably be some potential balance changes even after the last character comes out, especially in a Case where the last character turns out to be Overpowered. There is still Amiibo functionality that needs to be added. And perhaps more Spirit Events and tourneys might still be apart of the game. I do think that Main Development would pretty much end though

As for the Pricing, yeah to be honest that is a great point. I'm sure if there was another Fighter, Mode, stage, whatever, they would probably be factored into the price in some way

It's why I believe if there was a Bonus Fighter, it probably would require ownership of Both FP1 and FP2 to perhaps be free. Maybe if you just own 1 Fighter Pass you can get a discount.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Technically it wouldn't be inconsistent. If this is something that's developed for or around FP2, then it could be considered a part of FP2 Development process, so it would count

Plus to be honest, I don't think Development would stop fully. There will probably be some potential balance changes even after the last character comes out, especially in a Case where the last character turns out to be Overpowered. There is still Amiibo functionality that needs to be added. And perhaps more Spirit Events and tourneys might still be apart of the game. I do think that Main Development would pretty much end though

As for the Pricing, yeah to be honest that is a great point. I'm sure if there was another Fighter, Mode, stage, whatever, they would probably be factored into the price in some way

It's why I believe if there was a Bonus Fighter, it probably would require ownership of Both FP1 and FP2 to perhaps be free. Maybe if you just own 1 Fighter Pass you can get a discount.
Yeah I think I agree overall.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I think for the possibility of an extra character, of course Sakurai wouldn't reveal it, it's probably a secret and if is true and they are like Plant they might not need a Sakurai presentation.

If that thing is true (We won't really now until the end.) It probably won't be specifically a part of Fpass 2 just something that comes alongside the very last character or a bonus like plant, anything specifically said about the pass might not technically apply to a hypothetical extra.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Well, what your both saying does make sense, but the thing is that Sakurai could've accomplished this by doing something much easier than lying, and that is just saying nothing at all. I think what 7NATOR is getting at is why he would go out of his way to explicitly say there is no more... even though there is more.

I would've guessed that we would get more DLC characters only if that was something that was decided on later, but, assuming there is indeed a bonus character, the codes imply that this was a thing since the very beginning. I suppose that's just something to think about.
On any normal day before, this would be insane crackpot speculation. This time, we do have something real to latch onto.

I think the way to look at it is to realize that Sakurai has trolled from time to time. Sure, he's not always trolling, or he changes his mind on different aspects but I'm pretty sure even looking back at Fighter Pass 1, a few things always made me think we were not gonna see more DLC, Sakurai seemed eager to be getting close to the end, they said the budget for their presentations wasn't high, then... sike! More fighters in development. All of a sudden, Sakurai seems happy and invigorated to keep making fighters. It was such a whiplash.

In this video, he has a little troll right from the beginning. Sakurai then says he's gonna show who'll be on the roster this time. Right after that, they essentially start leading you on with characters until they just drop that everyone is coming back this time. They like building up hype. Lowering your expectations just a little to then give you something nice is appreciated.

They don't just walk in and say that everyone is coming back and also RIdley will be in. They reveal they're bringing in new fighters, tell us to not expect too many new ones..... but here's one right now! Ridley!

Since this could quite possibly be the end, they don't want people to be expecting the Third Pass at all. Having no real plans for DLC past what they're working on and not knowing whats next doesn't mean they couldn't possibly be saving one little surprise they've been working on in secret. Right??

Considering the oddly suspicious feeling comment on there being only two opportunities for presentations, it either feels like a purposeful misdirect for later, or just confirmation that we only have two Sakurai Presents left. Having one more bonus seems about right and not necessarily a lie. It just makes me feel the bonus may be a bunch of echo fighters instead of one new fighter. Worth mentioning that him saying that two DLC fighters remain may just be referring to this Fighter Pass pack which would be true no matter what.

Plant got no presentation, or little overview, and was just talked about during a Smash direct. This new bonus could quite literally be tacked on at the end of the last Sakurai presents for CP11. "Alright that's everything... but we do have one more thing for those who've purchased both fighter passes... It's a Mii Costume for the new Grey Pikmin from Pikmin GO. Alright bye! Never ask me for anything ever again."

Last edited:

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
On any normal day before, this would be insane crackpot speculation. This time, we do have something real to latch onto.

I think the way to look at it is to realize that Sakurai has trolled from time to time. Sure, he's not always trolling, or he changes his mind on different aspects but I'm pretty sure even looking back at Fighter Pass 1, a few things always made me think we were not gonna see more DLC, Sakurai seemed eager to be getting close to the end, they said the budget for their presentations wasn't high, then... sike! More fighters in development. All of a sudden, Sakurai seems happy and invigorated to keep making fighters. It was such a whiplash.

In this video, he has a little troll right from the beginning. Sakurai then says he's gonna show who'll be on the roster this time. Right after that, they essentially start leading you on with characters until they just drop that everyone is coming back this time. They like building up hype. Lowering your expectations just a little to then give you something nice is appreciated.

They don't just walk in and say that everyone is coming back and also RIdley will be in. They reveal they're bringing in new fighters, tell us to not expect too many new ones..... but here's one right now! Ridley!

Since this could quite possibly be the end, they don't want people to be expecting the Third Pass at all. Having no real plans for DLC past what they're working on and not knowing whats next doesn't mean they couldn't possibly be saving one little surprise they've been working on in secret. Right??

Considering the oddly suspicious feeling comment on there being only two opportunities for presentations, it either feels like a purposeful misdirect for later, or just confirmation that we only have two Sakurai Presents left. Having one more bonus seems about right and not necessarily a lie. It just makes me feel the bonus may be a bunch of echo fighters instead of one new fighter.

Plant got no presentation, or little overview, and was just talked about during a Smash direct. This new bonus could quite literally be tacked on at the end of the last Sakurai presents for CP11. "Alright that's everything... but we do have one more thing for those who've purchased both fighter passes... It's a Mii Costume for the new Grey Pikmin from Pikmin GO. Alright bye! Never ask me for anything ever again."
That's a nice way to look at it. I'm definitely curious to see if this means anything, and it definitely gives me some hope for just a little bit more. I suppose we'll just have to see.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
That's a nice way to look at it. I'm definitely curious to see if this means anything, and it definitely gives me some hope for just a little bit more. I suppose we'll just have to see.
Yup. I'm prepared for this extra spot to mean literally nothing. However, I'm totally loving this speculation. It's probably some of the most fun since base game to me.

His "Chaos powers" could literally just be a FS. He could easily be a Ken-level Echo.
It'd make sense to make Chaos Control be a sort of dodge protection like Bayonetta's bat within or Mythra's Foresight.

Chaos Blast could be his Final Smash, maybe also let him go into his Super Form while doing it.

Make him very slightly slower than normal Sonic but give him Joker's gun mechanic as a side special and boom. There ya go!

They probably wouldn't do this for Shadow, but hey, it'd be neat. It isn't the base game anymore so they could totally pour a little more effort into it than when they were making the whole game.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Lots of pages today, did something happen?
We noticed there was a gap in the url numbers between CP11 and the Ancient Armor Mii, so we thought there might be a bonus after CP11. Thing is, it's exclusive to the Australian and New Zealand sites; Japan doesn't have any gap, and we can't seem to access the American site. Some of us are beginning to think it's just a mistake and there really is no bonus.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Not even, if I'm honest. He'd probably work even at Dark Samus' level, Or maybe even Richter's.
He'd even work on the level of Black Knight... as in they just leave him as is because that'd be an easier way to show off his unique characteristics without the work of an echo.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
We noticed there was a gap in the url numbers between CP11 and the Ancient Armor Mii, so we thought there might be a bonus after CP11. Thing is, it's exclusive to the Australian and New Zealand sites; Japan doesn't have any gap, and we can't seem to access the American site. Some of us are beginning to think it's just a mistake and there really is no bonus.
I should note that the American site is really weird. I tried to inspect element the codes that would hold CP10, 11 and this mystery slot (as well as two others for good measure), and they were all identical as far as I could tell except for a few errors they threw at me. The problem is that these errors are consistent but only sometimes so I don't think the American site can tell us anything

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Okay so the question needs to be asked

If there is a Bonus fighter after the Next 2 Fighters, why did Sakurai make it seem like CP10 and CP11 were gonna be the end of it?

I understand if they didn't want to reveal that there be a Bonus Fighter, since they wanted to focus on the Actual Challenger packs first, but it seems some of the statements in the Interviews were final in there only be 2 left for DLC. Could just be business speak though
maybe it's free and comes with no additional content?

7NATOR

Smash Master
Yup. I'm prepared for this extra spot to mean literally nothing. However, I'm totally loving this speculation. It's probably some of the most fun since base game to me.

It'd make sense to make Chaos Control be a sort of dodge protection like Bayonetta's bat within or Mythra's Foresight.

Chaos Blast could be his Final Smash, maybe also let him go into his Super Form while doing it.

Make him very slightly slower than normal Sonic but give him Joker's gun mechanic as a side special and boom. There ya go!

They probably wouldn't do this for Shadow, but hey, it'd be neat. It isn't the base game anymore so they could totally pour a little more effort into it than when they were making the whole game.
This extra slot thing is pretty interesting, probably one of the more interesting pieces of Speculation this cycle, but I think this would only last a Week at most in terms of Active speculation before it's not the hot topic anymore. Personally nothing would ever beat Base game Speculation in terms of Ultimate Speculation

On Shadow, I don't think Chaos Control would work like Bat Within or Foresight. Those mechanics are more Defensive/Counter based. Shadow usually uses Chaos Control in an Agressive manner

Anyways, you're right in that they probably wouldn't do this for Shadow, since I don't imagine they make him an Echo, even if he theoratically could work. It's his own character or he's not in from my analyasis

He'd even work on the level of Black Knight... as in they just leave him as is because that'd be an easier way to show off his unique characteristics without the work of an echo.

I would just say I'd much prefer if Shadow stayed an Assist, or was even a Mii Costume, over him being an Echo. Of course I still think he's gonna be in FP2

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
It is possible that Sakurai is setting up for the reveal of a bonus fighter for whom it would be in character to break the rules (even those verbally stated by Sakurai himself) and steal a spot on the roster against all odds. Fun to think about, and a fun twist, which Nintendo aren't unfamiliar with.

Hm? Do I have any idea who this supposed fighter would be? Nope, not at all. :4pacman:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Sora could cost $10 and not come with anything other than him being playable and his sales would still be through the roof.
I dunno…a full Challenger Pack by itself only costs $6. I’m not sure Nintendo would be risky enough to charge nearly twice that for a character alone. Even a KH simp like myself would be hesitant to buy Sora with a price that steep.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Here are my thoughts on the few scenarios of the spot.

1. It might be nothing. The Japanese site does not have the same ordering. For all we know, it might just be a weird quirk of the Australian/NZ Nintendo website. This is a possibility that we should consider in the back of our heads at the end of the day. While I personally do not feel like this is the case, I think we should not throw this out, not until we get more info.

2. It is a bonus character. This I will go into two separate directions for.
a. It is a brand new character
b. It is an echo.

If it is an echo, it could be anyone. It does raise the possibility that it is an echo that comes with a character as DLC. If it is a new character, I think we should look into Plant as the model of what to expect: A character with basically no content with them. At best, I would say a music track similar to what we got with Corrin in 4 is all we should expect. At worst, it is just a character like Plant was just a character.

Now if it is a solo character, who can we expect? I think that things like Gen 8, Akira Howard, and Ring Fit take a hit due to them having a lot of content to pull. Perhaps they could pull a Corrin and come with a song with a Gen 8 mon, but even then that seems awkward. Unless this is its own standalone Challenger Pack, similar to the rest of dlc sans plant, I think that it would not be a Third Party or a First Party that is not well represented in Smash already. A few characters I would personally guess would be Decidueye, Waluigi, and Bandana Dee, but its hard to speculate on something we do not know all the details for. If it is a full on challenger pack, it could honestly be anyone.

3. It is a stage. We have not gotten a standalone DLC stage yet in Ultimate we have had to pay for. Perhaps it is something like a tetris stage? Who knows.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The Australian Nintendo website isn't exactly the most up to date. It's the sort of website where random pages still pretend the Wii U is the most modern Nintendo console. I'd just chalk it up to a clerical error.

7NATOR

Smash Master

1:21:52

Nate, or known as Nathan Drake from Resetera, actually was talking about the potential of Bonus fighters before this whole website thing happened

He seemed more speculative though, but I think it was good that he didn't outright deconfirm the idea of some type of Bonus character as some sort of Thank you to the fans. Of course he thinks FP2 is it, but he seems open to the idea of 1 or 2 more fighters than we are expecting right now as bonus

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

So I found this thread, and it got me thinking about those types of characters. Namely, the kind that people don't realise are very much eligible for Smash. Obviously, we talk about Reimu every other week, but what about Saber? Hatsune Miku? Agumon? insert other character of this type here? Maybe we can try and start something here...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

So I found this thread, and it got me thinking about those types of characters. Namely, the kind that people don't realise are very much eligible for Smash. Obviously, we talk about Reimu every other week, but what about Saber? Hatsune Miku? Agumon? insert other character of this type here? Maybe we can try and start something here...
I mean, Saber gets shot down for a completely different reason and it's beem years since I saw anyone try to shoot down Agumon

SKX31

Smash Master
It is possible that Sakurai is setting up for the reveal of a bonus fighter for whom it would be in character to break the rules (even those verbally stated by Sakurai himself) and steal a spot on the roster against all odds. Fun to think about, and a fun twist, which Nintendo aren't unfamiliar with.

Hm? Do I have any idea who this supposed fighter would be? Nope, not at all. :4pacman:
It's someone who either builds or fights on big bridges.

:4pacman:

I mean, Saber gets shot down for a completely different reason and it's beem years since I saw anyone try to shoot down Agumon
Agumon is in that weird territory where it's certainly possible, but Digimon has the misfortune of being under Pokemon's shadow + Cultural Osmosis (at least from a layman / casual PoV, I'm not a Digimon fan). It's not a huge negative for that franchise, but Pokemon is famous for a lot of reasons whilst the most I can remember from Digimon being pushed were the anime, merch and comparisions to Pokemon. Again, I'm coming from a layman PoV, so it's going to be far from a comprehensive overview of Digimon's chances.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Agumon is in that weird territory where it's certainly possible, but Digimon has the misfortune of being under Pokemon's shadow + Cultural Osmosis (at least from a layman / casual PoV, I'm not a Digimon fan). It's not a huge negative for that franchise, but Pokemon is famous for a lot of reasons whilst the most I can remember from Digimon being pushed were the anime, merch and comparisions to Pokemon. Again, I'm coming from a layman PoV, so it's going to be far from
That's true but after a single correctiom, that confusion gets cleared up for good

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm still fully prepared for F10, F11, and nothing else afterward. If a third pass isn't announced at E3, then I'm chalking this up as the final pass. I'm willing to wait for potential bonus characters until the very last presentation, but I dunno. I have a hard time picturing Nintendo wanting a sole character added outside of a pack just because they want to surprise the fans.

Better to expect what we've already been promised rather than expect something that was never guaranteed and end up disappointed.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Agumon is in that weird territory where it's certainly possible, but Digimon has the misfortune of being under Pokemon's shadow + Cultural Osmosis (at least from a layman / casual PoV, I'm not a Digimon fan). It's not a huge negative for that franchise, but Pokemon is famous for a lot of reasons whilst the most I can remember from Digimon being pushed were the anime, merch and comparisions to Pokemon. Again, I'm coming from a layman PoV, so it's going to be far from a comprehensive overview of Digimon's chances.
I would argue that being compared to Pokemon is a point in Digimon's favor TBH. It had the same kind of rivalry deal that Crash did with Mario, except arguably less contrived. A lot of people would be real hyped to finally see Digimon vs Pokemon finally be a thing.

Technomage

Smash Champion
There could also be another possibility: He changed his mind and decided would add some extra DLC (though if it were to be extra characters, then it most likely won't be more than 4, since the CSS limit theory hasn't been debunked yet). Hey, he changed his mind with Ridley (saying he's too big to work in Smash 4 without shrinking (which would be less faithful to Ridley's intimidation factor), but then deciding to do that for Ultimate).

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Let me guess "onscreen intercourse is bad"?

If that's the it's just really dumb when you realized that the dev has move on from that and all other releases removed that going forward
I agree, some people just seem to think Nintendo, a company who got in touch with porn stars to promote an upcoming Nintendo exclusive known as Bayonetta 2, would be squeamish little ****s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom