• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Stage Discussion - Brinstar

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I actually like Yoshi's a lot. I liked it before we had an invincible up b there but now I like it even more.

crifer

Smash Lord
I dont like brinstar, too.
IDK why, only against projectile spam characters you can use this stage,
but you can use luigis mansion as well for that...

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
brinstar forces you to play differently. first thing to note is you should always separate the stage with downb, it refreshes moves and makes it likely that they'll SD (dk does not have to worry about that with his crazy upb distance).

once the stage is separated it's all dk

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
brinstar forces you to play differently. first thing to note is you should always separate the stage with downb, it refreshes moves and makes it likely that they'll SD (dk does not have to worry about that with his crazy upb distance).

Added a bit on this to the OP.

I think I just need to play on this stage a bit more. I understand why DK should have an advantage here, so I probably just need more experience with it.

blakinola

Constantly Delicious

I brought a Zelda here and I lost. I won't blame the stage, as I got upsmashed to death. But the stage certainly didn't help me. I feel that she has a whole lot room to move as opposed to me, I feel trapped even though I live a lot longer.

Never thought of separating the stage. I'll have to do that.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master

How does separating the stage help?

I think I just need to play on this stage a bit more. I understand why DK should have an advantage here, so I probably just need more experience with it.
QFT, I hardly play here, but I definitely should.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I don't recommend taking Warios to brinstar either. And definitely don't separate the stage against them, as it gives them two more positions to try to "Wariocide" from.

Seton

Smash Apprentice
I'm probably one of that small part of Dk's that don't know how to play in bringstar. I prefer to choose japes as Cp (unless i'm facing a Falco or a MK).

Luigi player

Smash Master

lol, if I would make more holes in the stage I would SD even more than now (and it nearly always happens that I SD and lose there because of it).

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I understand why it should be good but I lack the experience and knowledge to perform well on that stage because I hardly ever play there.

ook

Smash Lord
If you seperate the stage, the inside "hole" doesn't have ledges to grab. But some people don't know that and try anyway, lol. Then they SD.

So as long as you know that... you can always make it back to the real edge with DK's up-b.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
It may not be DK's best stage but it is a good CP once you practice on here a few times it can help a lot with characters that CG or camp (with the exception of snake.)

When I first started playing on it in random friendlies here I was expecting to just ****, and its not that simple. You have to learn your strategies and tricks, just like any other non-nuetral cp stage. Here is my personal list of tricks:

• For me, the key has been landing lagless spinning kongs in various places, including dropping from the ledge and doing it up from below onto the main bottom platform, and during the highest lava stage onto the top platform
  • Once you have control of any part of the stage during lava rises shield grabbing can force your opponent out into the lava, be mindful of using bairs on characters with bad grab release times
  • Sharking aerials from beneath the stage without much risk bc of how good DK's horizontal recovery is can help a lot when you are stuck on the ledge, just dont do it too much or you will get metoered
  • Other characters may get ambitious and try to return you the favor with their own sharked aerials, its really obvious and well timed SA can put them in a very bad position
  • Its a very small stage so bairing offstage can kill pretty low, so can the first SA hit of spinning kong, although thats a lot more risky
  • Reverse utilts can combo into uairs on the side platforms, and if you can get a bair in then you can proceed to edgeguard
  • Dtilt can chain together more than usual against the breakable part of the bottom, and when it breaks if they fall down your opponent is going to be in a very bad situation, especially if its a fast faller
  • Your smashes are going to be a lot harder to avoid and space against, especially during lava, and since the ceiling and sides are so close you dont have to worry as much about stale moves, and if your stuff is fresh it will kill really low

I hope that list helps you guys, just keep in mind chars with exceptional aerials+recoveries can give you a run for your money (primarily Wario, Kirby, Peach.)
^^This is from a previous stage thread

ook

Smash Lord
I heard a rumor that the SBR is talking about adding Brinstar to neutral.

I really doubt that's gonna happen (it's totally NOT a neutral stage, but hey, neither is pokemon stadium 1), but that'd be awesome if it did, lol. :chuckle:

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
I heard a rumor that the SBR is talking about adding Brinstar to neutral.

I really doubt that's gonna happen (it's totally NOT a neutral stage, but hey, neither is pokemon stadium 1), but that'd be awesome if it did, lol. :chuckle:
It's kinda silly how much I'd argue against that, when I would also argue that both Japes and Luigi's Mansion should be completely banned, when they are my best character's best stages.

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
It's kinda silly how much I'd argue against that, when I would also argue that both Japes and Luigi's Mansion should be completely banned, when they are my best character's best stages.
You're a dirty traitor, you are.

j/k I tend to agree with people who do feel that way, however I also tend to keep my mouth shut. =P

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
sooo... where's all the awesome stage discussion at?

Will the new SA up b let us stand in the lave because that would be badass.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
sooo... where's all the awesome stage discussion at?

Will the new SA up b let us stand in the lave because that would be badass.
Well, even if it does, we'd still take damage, and would get hit multiple times by the lava. Not a good idea.

I've been a bit busy lately and haven't been able to think about what stage to do next. Is there anything else that needs to be said about Brinstar before we move on, and what should we move on to? Something like Delfino might be good, or something like Frigate or Rainbow Cruise.

Four Leaf

Smash Journeyman
Delfino is my favorite stage due to the mass amounts of gimping possibilities. I actually CP Delfino in tournies that ban japes, pending on who I'm playing of course.

I say Delfino next

The Pope

Smash Apprentice
I say we should revive this thread for help in counterpicking stages and banning of stages. Anything that can help DK rise back up on the tier list will always be much appreciated. We need to see if the thread creator is willing to update the first post with info from time to time or if we should create a totally different one altogether.

I wouldn't mind starting a new thread but in all honesty, I'm not really good at adding pictures and doing all the bells and whistles to make a thread look pretty and organized. If anyone is willing to take on the task of making a good stage discussion thread, whether it be TheNix or someone else, please step up. We need to be more active in this board to advance our metagame and knowledge of our beloved gorilla.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Brinstar is such a great stage for Donkey Kong, except when against Peach.
The globs extend the frames for our smashes and Super Africa Punch. We can upB by continually going under the stage from ledge to ledge. We can kill even early as we usually do with smashes because both the sides and ceiling are really small distances away from the stage. We can keep cargo upthrowing or just up throwing and we'll obtain the advantage if we keep the opponent up there. We can ground pound those ground globs to separate the stage, give us some breathing room to charge punch, AND possibly refresh our moves.
People counterpicked this stage for my King Dedede, but my gorilla covers that stage for me, even against Wario if you space back airs enough, and I ***** them on Brinstar...with Donkey Kong
Rating for me is 5/5.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Brinstar is good. Im liking it less and less however and liking Yoshis more and more.

daisho

Smash Lord
In addition to what was mentioned you can do the INV up B AT LEAST on the right side, IDK about the left.

I believe this is more of an aerial based stage and DKs bair thrives. Also, Down b extended is really good thanks to the hitbox extenders.

Also, don't take MK here. He can just camp under the stage and pressure you with up airs and shuttle loops. Ive only had one MK do that and I usually win here otherwise but if they know to do that then your in trouble.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Also, don't take MK here. He can just camp under the stage and pressure you with up airs and shuttle loops. Ive only had one MK do that and I usually win here otherwise but if they know to do that then your in trouble.
If he goes below the stage and attacks you from there, just destroy the middle and go down there to hit him. MK can't really gimp you (I think), the best he can do is dair/shuttle loop to hit you left/right, but not downwards. Just attack him with bairs or something and upB when necessary.

daisho

Smash Lord
When are you breaking the middle? He is putting constant pressure on you.

And MK can gimp. He can't spike but he can gimp.

Going down would be a bad idea even if you could break the stage. All he has to do is take away your DJ and he can edgehog you so you die.

Luigi player

Smash Master
When are you breaking the middle? He is putting constant pressure on you.

And MK can gimp. He can't spike but he can gimp.

Going down would be a bad idea even if you could break the stage. All he has to do is take away your DJ and he can edgehog you so you die.
Well he has to get onstage sometime >_> although he probably won't give you time to break it... maybe dair those capsule things. He might get hit and spiked, or just go on the top platform and wait for MK to go up. The Acid is also there so the MK has to be careful...

You can also hang on the right ledge and drop down + jump-fair the capsules. He might get hit. I think this would be really risky for the MK if he approaches.

If the MK wants to stall just wait for the Acid and then attack him...

Stannum

Smash Journeyman
i agree with daisho, its not a very good stage to bring metaknight to, especially with the added danger of being gimped due to the fact that if you make it over the edge when someone else is on it, if your feet are still "inside" the satge you fall to your death/into the lava. and make no mistake, a good metaknight will get you in a position like that if you arent careful. in short, id rather take him to yoshis, but if they ban it... im not sure metaknights never ban yoshis against me lol.

ook

Smash Lord
Yeah I agree, I've learned the lesson of what happens when you take MK to brinstar, multiple times :(

It's just too small... you don't have room to get away from him. Tornado covers freaking half the stage.
DK's fat monkey a$$ covers the other half :p

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i personally think brinstar sucks. its great in theory w/ weight + power for DK, but it favors characters who have the aerial flexibility to take advantage of the awkward terrain. and dk is a big dumb ape.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
i personally think brinstar sucks. its great in theory w/ weight + power for DK, but it favors characters who have the aerial flexibility to take advantage of the awkward terrain. and dk is a big dumb ape.
This to the 10th pwr.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Well, even if it does, we'd still take damage, and would get hit multiple times by the lava. Not a good idea.

I've been a bit busy lately and haven't been able to think about what stage to do next. Is there anything else that needs to be said about Brinstar before we move on, and what should we move on to? Something like Delfino might be good, or something like Frigate or Rainbow Cruise.
Actually, I've done that before. You only take one hit from the acid and then it ignores you. I've actually killed myself with up b because I just fell through the lava and it didn't save me.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Smashville could be really good for DK...

If you manage to get your enemy on the moving platform you can chaingrab them with a standing dthrow.
Meta Knight should work up to ~31 % (then you should maybe (pummel? and) bthrow). I don't know if it works past that if you dash grab or walk grab.
DK can chaingrab Dedede until about 60 % or something...

But you can't do that much damage from one grab though, because you don't have enough time until the platform stands still and then goes in the other direction. You could roll behind them and try to do it in the other direction. Maybe that works if you're lucky and the enemy doesn't react fast enough to jump/dodge away).

You'd just get about 40 % off of this, but it's still nice... I can't really test it right now, because I don't have anyone I could test it with. You'd have to test this with staleness of the dthrow and without, it doesn't work as long if it's not stale.

It would be awesome if the enemy wouldn't try to break out of it the whole time, because you could cargo them at the end and then jump from the platform and cargo dtoss to kill them, but they'd probably mash the whole time during the chaingrab so you won't have enough time for the cargo KO.

Here's a vid I just made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12WXqyjJbRo

Luigi player

Smash Master
Hmm... okay the enemy can get out... who said that holding up is the best way to get out of the cargo? That's BS >_>

This would be a 0-death if the enemy just holds up on the controlstick to get out of the cargo... but if someone presses even more buttons he'll get out of the cargo instantly...

Top Bottom