• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Stage Discussion - Brinstar

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
people always ban yoshis on me lmao. i never go there as for me picking it but as many times i have gone to brinstar the acid helps. especially if the acid is up and you manage to spike them into the acid it sets up a lot of kill moves. not to mention our big ***** live longer lol.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
So did anyone test that little chain grab on smash ville?

The cargo at the end might be questionable since they might be able to break out but does anyone know if the down throw works?

Imainlowtier

Smash Cadet
I'll go test that now, but should it be degrading or training? Does it matter?

EDIT: I'll do more later, I CG'd Mario to around 40 to 50%. It's legit.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
are ya'll talking about d.throw chain while on the moving platform?

yea, it def works well. when it ends go into cargo, drop off and fall into stage-spike b.throw. (but that requires some luck w/ timing and positioning to settup, lol)

Imainlowtier

Smash Cadet
That sounds like an amazing 0 - Death setup, Cyphus. But back to stage discussion;
I don't like Brinstar. I feel like I get gimped way too much and it is hard to kill the other person.
I'd rather pick Japes.

daisho

Smash Lord
That sounds like an amazing 0 - Death setup, Cyphus. But back to stage discussion;
I don't like Brinstar. I feel like I get gimped way too much and it is hard to kill the other person.
I'd rather pick Japes.
How do you get gimped here? And Japes isn't always legal (its almost never legal where i live).

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
i personally think brinstar sucks. its great in theory w/ weight + power for DK, but it favors characters who have the aerial flexibility to take advantage of the awkward terrain. and dk is a big dumb ape.
I'd say this quote only refers to Peach and Meta Knight, otherwise it's good for Donkey Kong. Just by my own experiences between the factors.

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
peach.... kind of... she benefits but i personally dont think that its that big of a problem, mk yes.

just take them to delfino man. japes hates me, i get clapped always once per set lol.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
peach.... kind of... she benefits but i personally dont think that its that big of a problem, mk yes.

just take them to delfino man. japes hates me, i get clapped always once per set lol.
I don't think you've actually played against a Peach on Brinstar...they're great on there for the same reasons Wario is. She can abuse the side globs with her side B which brings in serious mindgames, and she, being a good aerial character, is best suited for the stage just like Wario. Ah what a coincidence! Meta Knight is superb in the air too! :ohwell:
And never take Meta Knight to Delfino Plaza. Just don't lol. Taking Peach there would be fine but not as good as Jungle Japes or Halberd.

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
lol i havent played a peach? theres lots of peach mains over here in socal, you should know that already. i do take MK's to Delfino, water spikes and down tilt lock too good, not saying its the best stage to take MK but i do fine there. i already know how that stage benefits MK(what doesnt benefit MK lol).

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Yes I'll admit there are many Peaches in our state but I was only referring to you not playing a Peach on Brinstar.
And those advantages are phenomenal against Meta Knight on Delfino Plaza..but something just doesn't seem right despite those...

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
I have played peaches on brinstar, thats what i meant with that statement.
You mean the fact that MK is always good no matter where you take him? Lol

Luigi player

Smash Master
Guys should we make a new thread about DK stage discussion?

I feel we should have one... more life in the boards + more info.

I played around on Brinstar and tested some things:

Brinstar:

A bit longer invincibility:
A good thing to know is that when you upB in the air and you hit some of those barrel things in the middle or those pillar things you can hit the hit will delay (well everyone should know this). If yout hit them with frame 4-6 your invincibility will be a bit longer which can help.

For the platforms it's nice to jump and immediately upB to land on them and have some invincibility (if the enemy attacks or something). And if the enemy is MK or someone who wants to stall below the stage, go down and upB those barrels (in a height that you can still make it back up). Your invincibility will be even longer and can maybe hit MK offguard, and it also seperates the Stage which helps against an enemy that likes to attack from below the stage (just go down with Bairs to keep MK away).
(Or maybe it's better to dair the barrels if you want to break them. The hitbox will be out really long and will probably at least trade hits with MK it he attacks.)

UpB from side to side (with SA if you time it right):
Also if the stage is seperated you can use a grounded upB above the hole to move from side to side. It works on both sides and you will land on the other one without falling down (just keep pressing to the other side) and don't start the upB to early (it's not really hard to time so don't worry). Maybe this will be really good if you can time the SA well.

Where you can use the invincible upB:
Also does everyone know that if you seperate Brinstar (or just destroy a few barrels) and use the upB invincibility you will only land very shortly and fly up again during your invincibility? You can also land on the right platform if you do this (sadly not on the left one).
And if you destroyed those things where the platforms are on and they're angled up you can use the invincible upB there too. And if you time it right you can also land lagless on the top platform, because strangely, if you have the invincibility you don't move down if you leave the ground.

Where you can use the invincible upB:
Pirate ship:
If the little ship from the right comes you can use the invincible upB on it's head.
If the big rock comes you can easily use the invincible upB when the ship is angled up.
If the catapult appears you can use the invincible upB at the right side, lol.

Pokemon Stadium 1:
On the Rock stage:
On the lowest metal platform.
On the top-right side of the mountain.

Pokemon Stadium 2:
On the Rock stage:
On the left side of the mountain.
On the rollfloor stage:
On the right and left edge of the stage (it's like Yoshis Island).
You will not come far using it, because the floor moves you back a bit. But if you don't press the controlstick to the stage it will move you away from the stage and thus you can control your upB again, and it moves up.

Rainbow Cruise:
On the right side of the ship. (and land lagless on the platform if you want)
On the pendular swing thing (not sure if that's how you call it... >.<) if it's angled up as much as it can.
On the first slope thing that appears after the pendular (the one right after those 3 bridge blocks).

Top Bottom