• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK: 101 A primer for newcomers.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Smashboards has fallen after Nintendo Power released information about pro players, advanced techniques, and a link to this site about 2 years ago. A storm of noobs started entering smashboards. With the release of Brawl, everything got even worse. Because of the numerous changes, many inexperienced players thought they finally can stand a chance, they actually know stuff, people who like Melee are cheaters, and so forth. The amount of people like this are of the masses and they flood the forum everyday. It's because of all of the new members entering, posting, spamming, etc. that the site goes down so much. The Mods have so much spam to clear up that most of them get fed up and don't even bother anymore.

About Brawl, yes, the current metagame isn't to great...but look at the video of Azen vs Anden in 2002 in one of the first Melee tournaments. The video is very lacking in anything worth watching, granted the fact the game was only a year old at the time and in a few years to come would people discover things such as wavedashing. It took Melee about 5 years to get super competitive. Smash64 took much more (however it never became as popular). I can only expect Brawl to become a better as the years go on.
Also, I need something new, heh.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
same with me kyle, that's why as soon as I finish the character guide I plan on leaving for allisbrawl

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
just a heads up, allisbrawl dk forum is worse than this onee. a topic came up yesterday about someone just finding out that you can turn around dk punch, and asked if it was old. theres only like 15 topics, none of them are really helpful with the exception of bigfoots dk guide

AiB has a chatroom for matches/tournys tho that makes everything go by 10x faster. look for me, bigfoot, and ttt on there 8D

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
i'm not going there just for the DK forum, smashboards is old and half the people on here are ***** to new people. It just seems like a good change for me

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Kyle, go to AiB, you get your hope back, trust me

Ripple, transfer the matchup thread there, the dk boards need a few sensible people, and if i can bring them in i can probably talk neal into being a mod for the dk board, aka, thread become relevant, spam goes away, and you get a mod who gives a crap about the character

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
There’s no chance of you reconsidering, is there Kyle? : (

(Haha, I’d be the number one spammer, having not played Brawl yet …)

DarkRenji

Smash Journeyman
DUDES! I'm gonna play DK me thinks. ^^
I am a Dedede main now, but I never played with DK before. Now that I played with him... he's so cool. XD I can't believe he's the least popular character here. (looking to Topics) =)

DK, DONKEY KONG!
He's the leader of the bunch,
You know him well,
He's finally back,
To...

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
...kick some tail
his coconut can, can fire in spurts
if he shoots ya, it's gonna hurt
he's bigger, faster, and stronger too
he's...

Tofu Beast

Smash Ace
...the first member of the DK crew!
D. K.! Donkey Kong!
D. K.! Donkey Kong is here!

This Kong's got style...

Worst song ever XD

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
Hate to break the rap, but how does one bpunch from the edge? When I try, I press down, jump, b, then right, and he falls to his death...

-ADA-

Smash Apprentice
Hey I just picked up DK, and I'm wondering about the stage spike.

When yoou cargo them and walk off. Kyle is saying you turn around in midair and forward throw? I never knew you cuold do that. And is that as effective as just wlaking off and back throwing them against the stage?

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Hey I just picked up DK, and I'm wondering about the stage spike.

When yoou cargo them and walk off. Kyle is saying you turn around in midair and forward throw? I never knew you cuold do that. And is that as effective as just wlaking off and back throwing them against the stage?
its the same thing

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
DK doesn't even have a cargo backthrow does he? He just turns around and does a forward throw.

Anyway, here's a tip-- walk off the edge and smash c-stick toward the stage. And make sure you're careful with your timing, throw too early and you'll throw them into the edge instead of the sloped underside and they won't get spiked.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
holy crap Dk is good in this game. a char like this takes skill and timing, be proud Dk mainers. lol im just comming in here to check why the hell is Dk good now

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
After playing a very good DK, I want to use him too. His range is top-notch, and his speed is a bit better than it was in Melee.

Cardd

Smash Cadet
Well. my current mains are diddy and lucas, and my very close second is DK
I think i'll start using him and he might surpass my competition lvl diddy/lucas, and that would be funny cuz most ppl look down on kong.

Anyway, since this summer i will be brawling alot, i offer myself up to be a research rat, and if anyone wants to figure something out, Contact me and i will.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Wow guys, I'm back. =P

It annoys me that the most active thread on the DK board is 7734 has the best DK... WTH

Brawl has been reunited to me. I'm coming back everyone.

2 things did it honestly.

1- It's been over a month and I miss the game and the on-line play with you guys.
2- I had Major fun at a Tennessee Tourney. Tom was supposed to be around but he nevered showed up... BUT the tourney was still an AMAZING experience. Just what I needed.

SO:

I'll update this post with the tourney story.
I'll update the Stage thread with Green Greens ans all of it's awesomeness
I'll yell at everyon else for making crappy threads.

Missed you,
Kyle

Where the F is my stage thread @??????!??!!?

eggs-on-toast

Smash Apprentice
I thought this should go here since its general discussion.
I'm having a problem DK mains, I've used the big ape in every game I could, refused to buy more mario partys because he was removed and he has been my favourite game character of all time.

BUT!

I see him being put in high tier and although this may sound very, very weird I'm put off using him as I think I might be called a "tier *****" or whatever. I've used him since SSB64 but may consider using a new character. Also I'm weird as I hate being the same and always liked DK for his uniqeness but I'm wandering are DK's populer in tournies now or are they still low on numbers?

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Okay, I have a question about Vs. DK.

My friend cargo spikes me into the stage way more than I should be getting stage spiked.

1. I can tech it, but not regularly. About in what part of the animation should I hit L or R to tech?

2. If I mash L or R trying to escape the grab but fail, can I still tech?

3. What is the best way to break out?

4. About what percent should I realize that I won't be breaking out and I should just worry about teching?

5. How is the duration of the hold effected by the weight of the character being cargoed? Does it not effect it at all?

If I could get the answers to these that would be supreme.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I've been messing with something for a while and forgot to post it.

Jab has two hitboxes. One close to DK's body, and the other at the end of the fist. The close to the body on knocks away from DK, but the one on his fist knocks up and into DK. At low %, these pretty much work the same way, to lead into jab combo. But at higher %, the knockback angle is more noticable. This is very useful at mit to higher %, because if you space right, the fist jab knocks above DK for a free Utilt, or at high %, a free Dsmash for the kill.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
I was just playing a match, DK vs Wolf on battlefield. I was DK and as soon as Wolf got up onto the stage again, I used DK's Up B attack, and it sent Wolf flying diagonally downward to death (he had a reasonably high %). I didn't know his Up B could send opponents in that direction.

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
Was going to link to this in the DK vid thread, but that doesn't seem to get updated or anything so I'll just post here for discussion. Minor little trick for all you DK players out here, featured at the beginning of this video:

Ledgology 102: DK Punch-Cancel Edgehog

Flashy Kong ftw. Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm using DK tomorrow in a tourney after using him for 3 days. (lets just say I learn quickly) I'm trying to refine my skills before I actually use him mid-tourney. Can anyone point me to some of the best DKs on smashboards that have posted vids? I've not been impressed with some of the ones I've found so far. very mediocre stuff. thanks in advance.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Don't know if you know this already, but if you press Jump and SideB at the same time, you'll do a "Sliding Headbutt". He slides forward quite a bit, and I think it will be somewhat useful.

Sorry if old

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Just wanted to say to all DK mains...that DK is no way a boring character.

IM saying this because atthe beggining of brawl, everyone dont gave a fouk for DK, and even when i didnt have anything against him, i felt kind of sad for the big ape.

I have been playing DK as a secondary character for some months, and i can sincerely say that DK is a solid character and is fun to play as hell once you get the hang of him.

I have to admit that he has very difficult matches...specially against the little spammers... but **** DK is a killing machine.

I totally love him now.

So dont give up DK mains. He has alot to offer still!!.

Wife

Smash Lord
Yeah I think DK might be the only Brawl character that I think is fun to play. He's such a monster. I love playing a character that doesn't really seem to mind when he gets hit. He's like that orc from LOTR

SandStorm7

Smash Cadet
Yeah I think DK might be the only Brawl character that I think is fun to play. He's such a monster. I love playing a character that doesn't really seem to mind when he gets hit. He's like that orc from LOTR

DK manliest character or manliest character? That's right suck it Captain Falcon. Also I do not know about jump + side b slide. Does he slide on the ground? make youtube of it plz and link me to it.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
My thoughts exactly...

U know..when u use DK...ull find urself sometimes receiving excessive punishment.... but isthe only character that makes me feel confident of turning the events, even when im getting heavily pummeled.

The thought that one big slap can turn the tides in favor of DK is what makes me have confidence in myself while using him. He just needs a few hits to make an impact. Veryfew characters in brawl can do this. And from the group of the big hitters, IMO DK is maybe the one which u can connect killer smashes with the highest rate of succes and being deadly.

The gorilla is a cool character indeed, one of thefew fun characters to play in brawl definitely.

My best character is marth, and in brawl i despise him so much (too boring now) to the point i prefer to use poke trainer and the gorilla because is way more challenging and fun.

DaveOSmasher

Smash Rookie
playing for a while with dk, i noticed that his dair is... awesome!!xD I started using it a bit on ground by shorthoping into my opponents (i train 4 player brawl) and it was good but when i didnt hit my bad recovery from that move made it easy for the other characters to hit me and get punished, but after that
ganondorf was trying to recover back to stage and i just jumped off without thinking did a dair which totally pwned him at like 40% and then i recovered back to the stage hanging on the ledge after upB, and i was like woooooooooooowjojgohwgkofhsd!!!!! xDDD

jacksgrapes

Smash Rookie
Hey guys... I'm new to DK, so i've been trying to practice some of his techniques. I've been having a lot of problems with dk's edge stall. When I tap down and upb right afterwards, i'll usually hit the edge without grabbing it and go right over. What am i doing wrong?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Hey guys... I'm new to DK, so i've been trying to practice some of his techniques. I've been having a lot of problems with dk's edge stall. When I tap down and upb right afterwards, i'll usually hit the edge without grabbing it and go right over. What am i doing wrong?
you are either holding down so you don't grab it without realizing it or you are doing it too fast which is possible. just slowing it down should solve your problem

Top Bottom