• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK: 101 A primer for newcomers.

Four Leaf

Smash Journeyman
you are either holding down so you don't grab it without realizing it or you are doing it too fast which is possible. just slowing it down should solve your problem
Going off of what Ripple said, if you push your up B instantaneously after dropping from the ledge you'll overshoot it. Your best bet is to wait about half a second, then up B. Brawl is a lot slower than melee was. Try practicing techniques at different speeds to see what works best for you.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Where have you been???????????????

good to have you back

IxxI

Smash Fence
I know this is a noob question but i've been wondering; how do you perform a reverse DK punch? :p

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
I'm entering a Brawl tourney this weekend @ Columbus. Anyone I know gonna be around?

Ripple?????

EDIT-

Saw everyones video.

AMAZING stuff, seriously. I was soooo proud.*Tear

DK VS Ganon on Delfino was my favorite though. ;)

I do miss this game. Once I can get a Wii i will pick it up consistently. I don;t miss fighting ROB though gahhhhh.

Hey, I hope somebody copied my awesome stage thread before it went away. I was soo proud of that thread it's... gone now though....

I'll check my back up files, if it comes up than it should definately go up on All is Brawl.

Stay safe gang,
Kyle

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
kyle, this week I'm going to a melee tournament in kansas city, MO. but the next time there is a tourney in your area, give me a heads up about a week or so in advance and I would be happy to go.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
I don't have AIM and rarely use MSN... do Either of you use Faceook?

I will start back into more tourney's once I get a Wii, I'm going for a huge Guilty Gear turn-out and there happens to be Brawl.

You guys rock,
Kyle~

RP`

Smash Apprentice
How should I fight against Olimar? I know it should be in DK's favor, so I am definitely doing something around. It seems I can't get close to him, otherwise I get Fsmashed or grabbed, and when I try to approach with a Bair I just get shield grabbed or Usmashed. It would also be easier to know what I should do if I knew what he was going to do, but he is so **** small I can't tell what's about to happen. What should the fight really look like?

CBK

Smash Journeyman
Yes Olimar combo's Dk for free if you let him, in all reality all his smashes get destroyed by down b Since you have more range than he does. SA punch when he's spamming kills him before his grab takes affect. Dtilts are amazing but I would suggest F tilt to keep out of grab range. SA punch best friend since he likes to spam attacks. DOwn b when ever he rolls and if your next to him up b ASAP because spam is usually coming if he's next to you.

You cna gimp him really easily by cargo low toss and instant up b, if he recalls the picmen they die in your up B if not you edge hog him pretty easily.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
how do i do an offstage turnaround d throw? i wanna throw some ppl under the stage is wut i'm getting at. =o

just picked up DK as a second.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
oh man. thx a lot. i definitely remember watching this vid months ago 'cept i had no interest in DK whatsoever lol. ;D

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
thanks this a a good guide. I started to use DK and started to like him, but I couldn't do as well as I could with some of my faster characters. I know it's a challenge to use him because of his limited speed, but his strength makes up for it. But now I know why he's not on the bottom of the tier list.

I also have a lot of trouble fighting small characters like olimar and Diddy Kong. Olimar is especially challenging because his moves are fast. Any ideas on taking on olimar?

RP`

Smash Apprentice
Other than compensating for DK's recovery, why is Jungle Japes a good counter pick?

Echoes7

Smash Rookie
Tactics I was wondering what some good tactics are.

Like I seen Dthrow D tilt but I cant get that one to work all the time, So I thought of Dthrow Dash attack or Dthrow Ftilt, any confirmations there?

Also those are 0% combos.... so what are some good 40-60%? Since his kill range can be done at 90% Just curious, anything else I should know by the way? like how much his Bair pwns, Side b to donkey punch, jab cancel?

Edit: Fthrow ( carry him ) then throw him then dash attack?

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
Other than compensating for DK's recovery, why is Jungle Japes a good counter pick?
you can use your cargo throw to throw people under the side platforms, which will spike them in to the water, if they're not fast enough, they will die from the rapids dragging them to the side.

Tactics I was wondering what some good tactics are.

Like I seen Dthrow D tilt but I cant get that one to work all the time, So I thought of Dthrow Dash attack or Dthrow Ftilt, any confirmations there?

Also those are 0% combos.... so what are some good 40-60%? Since his kill range can be done at 90% Just curious, anything else I should know by the way? like how much his Bair pwns, Side b to donkey punch, jab cancel?

Edit: Fthrow ( carry him ) then throw him then dash attack?
DK's combos are generally low damage combos, at the mid damage range you usually just have to rely on individual hits

dash attack... DK has one of the worst. its painfully punishable
i wont say dont ever use it, but if you're going to use it, use it when you're tech chasing or something like that, when you cant get punished for the horrendous lag on it.

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
Use the 9-punch for surprise kills!

Bthrow can actually kill, something to keep in mind.

And don’t bring a gorilla to a fight with a penguin.

crifer

Smash Lord
A few days ago i had so a hard time agains a zss^^
Any ideas how to beat her?
her downB spike wrecks DK´s recovery so hard man...
and her combos are on wifi with lag undodgeable...

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
The other day I was doing some team friendlies against a Wario. My bair hit his super armor'd fsmash and he took damage and I didn't. bair ***** so hard. This thread needs to be used moar.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
The other day I was doing some team friendlies against a Wario. My bair hit his super armor'd fsmash and he took damage and I didn't. bair ***** so hard. This thread needs to be used moar.
wtf how does that work? did you actually get hit by the fsmash?

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
A few days ago i had so a hard time agains a zss^^
Any ideas how to beat her?
her downB spike wrecks DK´s recovery so hard man...
and her combos are on wifi with lag undodgeable...
ZSS is usually going to approach with a dash attack
shield grabs are really useful here
also, use side b in the air to stall a bit if she tries to spike you
she's really light, so killing her should not be too big a problem

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
The strong hit I think, I don't really remember it kind of surprised me though. I must have really good spacing then because I did it a few times over the course of the doubles friendlies I was playing with him.

Geou

Smash Apprentice
Guys, this has happened to me way too often: I clank F-Tilts with a Snake. Then no matter which attack I try next, Snake's F-Tilt beats it in speed and knocks me away. If I shield, I'm usually too far away to shield grab or anything like that. What's the best thing to do in this situation?

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Guys, this has happened to me way too often: I clank F-Tilts with a Snake. Then no matter which attack I try next, Snake's F-Tilt beats it in speed and knocks me away. If I shield, I'm usually too far away to shield grab or anything like that. What's the best thing to do in this situation?
This has happened to me before too. Usually I just roll back after they clank then re approach. Oh and down b is awesome vs Snake.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
You need to mix it up, do a DownB, FTilt, DTilt after shielding. You may need to space more properly.

Dr. Grandpa

Smash Ace
No. She is one of Kong's worse matchups. You are not the only one. Key word = Study and read ;I

Foociand

Smash Rookie
Dudes, what about shorthop-> Bair -> aerial Side B?

It's awesome, it can easily break shields, or stuck the opponent in the ground.
If this is done perfectly it can lead the opponent to death really quickly.

Top Bottom