• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK: 101 A primer for newcomers.

25jai

Smash Rookie
i cant still to do dk punch when i am hanging on the ledge.
i try jump and do it. and it too hight
then i try to drop then jump and do dk punch, that too low, and sometimes, i can even jump to reach the ledge again. but i saw it on a vid. how is it done?

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
tap down and immediately press jump, then immediately after jumping do the punch, you'll grab the ledge if that's what you're trying to do. You just have to do it quickly. And once you have that one down I suggest you practice doing a ledgehop turn-around punch on recovering opponent and regrab the ledge, as an edgegaurding tool.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
One thing to note is when against ledge, IF holding DOWN on the analog DK will not grab ledge. This is true for everyone, it's referred to as snap cancel or something like that.

I've learned something with DK you can grab out of an up b so if someone is trying to sheild grab you at the end of the up b on the ground you can counter it with a grab of your own.

sasquatch1

Smash Cadet
Wow thanks to everyone i always wanted to play dk in melle but i ended up just elarning samus, but in brawl he seems much better than he was im deffinatly proud to say im maining dk and yoshi, but thanks everyone for the guide it is very helpful great information

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
I've learned something with DK you can grab out of an up b so if someone is trying to sheild grab you at the end of the up b on the ground you can counter it with a grab of your own.
What's going on is DK has almost instant recovery and grab's have high priority over attacks. You could even jump or roll away from being punished if they shield the entire thing. Try jumping, instant upB. The Invincibility will beat out any attack, assuming they don't continue guarding.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
What happened guys, I got 2 suggestion to increase range and 1 to increase throws. & I'm still not convinced that it should be done. What does everyone have to say?

Alright Kong soldiers Let's do this.
DK rating. Please contribute, defend, and discuss until we all can come to a conclusion.

Categories include

Range- 7
Power- 9
Throws- 8
Speed- 4
Recovery- 6
weight/size- 5

Range= 7
Overall DK's range is MUCH MUCH better, but not best. Ftilt, Fsmash, Bair,downB and dashing grapple are best best ranged moves. Which, isn't bad might I add. I would give Olimar or pit a 10. Definitely above average. Anyone want to disagree on 7 of 10?

Power= 9
Yes I will agree that IKE and Lucas have A heavier smash but how often is that going to hit compared to a massive Fair, Fsmash, sideB or Donkey Punch from our beloved ape? DK is POWERFUL! SA Frames FTW. groundedupB does MASSIVE damage btw. I would give Ganondorf a 10.

Throw= 8
DK has NUMEROUS effective options, including SA frames on cargo, stage spike, Wall infinites, a Btoss that CAN kill, throw from ledge... It's just that everything is so situational making his most valuable options sometimes unreliable. I would give IC and D3 a 10 for for 1 throw 1 death occurances.

Speed= 4
Assuming average is 5, I feel DK is just below average as his dash and foxtrot actually get his butt moving, while his startup and range really compensate for his overall speed. It is fair and slightly below par. Dsmash comes out FAST though. I would obviously give Sonic a 10.

Recovery= 6
Yes he only has two jumps, but spinning Kong is AMAZING, you will always have a chance to grab ledge, + you have invincibility frames on start-up, and sideB delays so you can prevent from getting gimped so much. The only thing keeping DK from a 7-10 recovery is a lack of 5 jumps as he has NO WAY of coming back from under the stage. lol. 10 in recovery goes to Pit and Metaknight BTW. His is pretty predictable though and gets spiked easily. =(

weight/size=5
His weight is amazingly heavy, but he is soo big that people can tech chase, ledge guard, chain throw and combo him EASY. I feel these too things balance out and give our monkey an average score of middle 5. he gets hit often but it takes more to kill him.

I feel Dk's disadvantages really make this fight easy for his opponents, as his overall size makes combo's easy and his recovery can be very predictable... death. Prone to spikes too. This is why he isn't higher in value.

Composite score for the moment is
7+9+8+4+6+5= 39/60

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
What happened guys, I got 2 suggestion to increase range and 1 to increase throws. & I'm still not convinced that it should be done. What does everyone have to say?
I agree with most of it except I don't think grabs would be an 8 better to put it back to 7 and I think dks weight should be a 6 because it is ridiculous how long DK can survive and the only time he can truly be combo'd would be when he is very low and hit with a weak attack

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
ummm, id say full on 10 in power, only dedede and snake can kill quicker, and dk has a whole lot of kill moves when people hit 60% compared to d3 and snake who only have 1 or 2 that kill before 100

I'd say bump up size a few too, against the little guys, which are usually the ones the combo you, I won't die until 180+, with the right DI I've lived up to 270, his weights great, size is a problem though

keep grabs the same though, his grabs are great, but the lack of chains prevents it from being a 10

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Thank you Ripple and Bigfoot, I agree with your saying.

UPDATED and current DK Smashboards Understanding of DK potential/Tier in Brawl.

Alright Kong soldiers Let's do this.
DK rating. Please contribute, defend, and discuss until we all can come to a conclusion.

Categories include

Range- 7
Power- 10
Throws- 7
Speed- 4
Recovery- 6
weight/size- 6

Range= 7
Overall DK's range is MUCH MUCH better, but not best. Ftilt, Fsmash, Bair,downB and dashing grapple are best best ranged moves. Which, isn't bad might I add. I would give Olimar or pit a 10. Definitely above average. Anyone want to disagree on 7 of 10?

Power= 10
Yes I will agree that IKE and Lucas have A heavier smash but how often is that going to hit compared to a massive Fair, Fsmash, sideB or Donkey Punch from our beloved ape? DK is POWERFUL! SA Frames FTW. groundedupB does MASSIVE damage btw. I would give Ganondorf a 10, but also deserves a 10 due to his excessive amount of KO moves.

Throw= 7
DK has NUMEROUS effective options, including SA frames on cargo, stage spike, Wall infinites, a Btoss that CAN kill, throw from ledge... It's just that everything is so situational making his most valuable options sometimes unreliable. I would give IC and D3 a 10 for for 1 throw 1 death occurances.

Speed= 4
Assuming average is 5, I feel DK is just below average as his dash and foxtrot actually get his butt moving, while his startup and range really compensate for his overall speed. It is fair and slightly below par. Dsmash comes out FAST though. I would obviously give Sonic a 10.

Recovery= 6
Yes he only has two jumps, but spinning Kong is AMAZING, you will always have a chance to grab ledge, + you have invincibility frames on start-up, and sideB delays so you can prevent from getting gimped so much. The only thing keeping DK from a 7-10 recovery is a lack of 5 jumps as he has NO WAY of coming back from under the stage. lol. 10 in recovery goes to Pit and Metaknight BTW. His is pretty predictable though and gets spiked easily. =(

weight/size=7
His weight is amazingly heavy, but he is soo big that people can tech chase, ledge guard, chain throw and combo him EASY. He gets hit often but it takes more to kill him. UPDATE, he just lives soo loong against people with weak KO's, he can survuve ~250%, that's impressive.

I feel Dk's disadvantages really make this fight easy for his opponents, as his overall size makes combo's easy and his recovery can be very predictable... death. Prone to spikes too. This is why he isn't higher in value.

Composite score for the moment is
7+10+7+4+6+6= 40/60[

I have a hard time agreeing to increasing athe already high # of 7 when he gets ranged by other pkayers and loses for it. When an opponents relies only on Range and Speed they OWN DK meaning these two stats combined are weak for DK and in the opponents favor. I would not consider DK a range character, that's why I am so hesitant to put him above 7. Ganon has more range than DK guys, and we know Ganon is not beastly because of his range.

Range characters I would consider
Diddy
Falco
Ike
D3
Link
Lucas
Luigi
Ness
Pikachu
Olimar
Pit
Ivysaur
ROB
Samus
Snake
Toon
Wolf
Zelda
Zamus

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
on a slightly related note, i just got my *** handed to me by kyle!!

holy **** man, we need to do that like every day for a week until i pick up on all the stuff you were doing. i learned so freaking much @_@ i need to process it all. my gameplay is seriously going to change distinctly

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Andy- Welcome to Smashboards. =)

You can search by region or character, or even PM someone who you feel would be a good/fun sparing buddy. I would recommend hitting up the Pikachu boards and finding the Pika players... mirror matches help you understand you character better.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
I haven't played with Pillar re-pitfalls yet, All I've done is Uair upon them teching, I'll give it a go here soon and than update with this info in the Advanced Tech's section. THX BGFT. =)

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
I PM'd a mod about cleaning up the entire DK thread, I'd like to have character mod status for a while, but.... there's been no reply yet. Additionally, there ARE NO character specific mods in this community... weird huh. There's just so much I want to do I don't have the authority to.

Kyle~

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Submit your pillars for the Video Bigfoot. :)

I was going to link you the thread but LOL it's yours, you started it.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Noone mentioned this yet. But Jab apparently has two hitboxes. One near his elbow, which knocks away, and the other at his fist, which pulls them towards you. If you have someone in deep on you, you'll usually hit with the elbow hitbox. At low % you usually get the jab combo, but at higher % it just pushes them away and the 2nd hit whiffs.

With the fist hitbox, it virtually guarantees the 2nd hit. But also, at higher %, especially on lighter characters, it sends them over DK, in a perfect spot for Utilt/Bair/reverse Ftilt or whatever you feel like hitting them with.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
It wasn't mentioned in the guide so I've updated.

Stage spike ledges = Dsmash stage spike against opponent
Cargo, walk off double suicide can be useful.

Mr Nobody

Smash Cadet
Haha dsmashing an opponent on the ledge is so good! I did it yesterday by accident and it hit him completely horizontal off the stage. Granted he was at like 110%, but it was still hilarious. Good call there for stage spike.

Mr Nobody

Smash Cadet
There are a few frames on Bair, where the move can be activated, but not active, land, and have NO additional recovery... weird. Like the first 4 frames or something.
If I understand this correctly, it also happens with uair. I remember trying to fit two uairs in a short hop and the second one was just noise and nothing else. Zero lag upon landing and no hitboxes were out, but he made the noise as if he attacked. :)

Great guide, Kyle! There's lot of useful info packed in here.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Have peopled tried out dash pivot (or "foxtrot") away to Forward B? It's very safe and a great way to land a headbutt, especially on opponents approaching you. Sorry if already mentioned.

Also, include information about Donkey Kong's Jab Lock. I don't know which moves are specifically good for setting it up, however, the fact that he's one of the 14 characters who can do it is good to know.

For those who don't know what a jab lock is, watch this video at 00:58

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wIP7QY0anuw

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
That’s pretty interesting. Time for you to start figuring out how to best incorporate it into DK’s game, Kyle. ;D

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Dear Smash World Forums Community,

I apologize to my friends, but I'm finished with Competitive Brawl. More importantly, I'm through struggling with SWF.

Brawl=
Limited options
VERY repetitive
The first two come together to create a boring and dry Meta Game. The only enjoyment I get is new competition, which can be found in ANY fighting community.

Smash World Fourms=
Site Crashes/downs WAY too often
The Mods are non-existant
The Mods don't care about Character Forums
There a Hierarchy with "Celebrity" Moderators
Too many useless threads created asking about stuff we've already established. o.0

Seriously, the "SmashBack" room will tell YOU and ME about the potential of DK. What the ****.

All the Best,

Kyle Wattula~

Top Bottom