• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DJ Wack & Wampam Present: Birdday Banana Bonanza! With livestream!

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Losing to Seibrik in pools is like if we just had a tournament and you lost to him in bracket INSTEAD of in pools...except you lose the option to get 2nd place pool compensation unless you make it out of loser's bracket.

The tournament isn't the only way to play smash at some of these events. You know you can have the same kind of effect by playing money matches. Winner gets money, loser loses money. It's also a lot faster so it gives more opportunities for these kinds of things if the player chooses to do so.

If you're worried about losing money for not getting into bracket, then get your second place pools winnings and use that all for money matches at the tournament and win by beating the people you expected to beat in bracket.

Edit: I could see top 2 working as well... 16 man brackets are like 8 man except there are 2 extra rounds making it 40 extra minutes. During those 2 extra rounds, there would be a requirement of 8 TVs. Choice between entering the 16 bracket or taking 1 place lower pool's compensation(1st gets 2nd pool money, 2nd gets 3rd and the remainder goes into the pot) OR people who enter into the tournament give up their pool winnings to the pot but get their entry fee back.

2nd edit: The reason it does look as nice compared to what happened last time Masky is because we lost the majority of the setups throughout the tournament until there was only one left. It would have been a lot more fun if all 10 setups were working as planned(there should NOT have been more than 10 setups due to there being 10 outlets at the venue.)

Surge protectors and extension cords are banned at my clubhouse to avoid these stupid accidents.

pesticide

Smash Lord
I like the pools payout idea of 1st/2nd in pools getting the option to enter the main bracket (or just getting the pools $ winnings) + 3rd in pools getting a little extra money

Maybe a future tournament could try it out (on purpose, not cuz of circumstances like this time)

:phone:

OverLade

Smash Hero
Ugh, everyone who is talking about the ban has an even MU with MK...

I main R.O.B and I don't even want him banned... Everyone is just lazy. This is getting rid of more players than it is bringing in more players to brawl.
Or you've just never played a good MK lololol.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Tommy_G said:
I could see top 2 working as well... 16 man brackets are like 8 man except there are 2 extra rounds making it 40 extra minutes. During those 2 extra rounds, there would be a requirement of 8 TVs. Choice between entering the 16 bracket or taking 1 place lower pool's compensation(1st gets 2nd pool money, 2nd gets 3rd and the remainder goes into the pot) OR people who enter into the tournament give up their pool winnings to the pot but get their entry fee back.

The reason why I wouldn't give them the option to their placing (1st for 1st) pool compensation vs an option to go into the tournament is because it diminishes the option to go into the bracket. By making it a place lower for compensation, it makes going into bracket look more appealing.

Edit: Halzy, if you want to talk about the MK bs, go to the MK thread for that. We've moved past that.

8Bitman

Smash Master
yo fuck projectors
^^^ This ^^^

I've been ***** by Seibrik, and my brother on multiple occasions... It's just cuz I don't feel the need to ban an entire character after almost 4 years of the game being out, rather than when the game first came out, after a few months it was already decided that he was broken. But it took this long to ban him... No, not now. >_>

Two things:

1.) So we're never running a 32-man bracket anymore after pools??? Please say no. >_>

2.) I have never lost to a non-PR member from my very first ZP until now.

MVD

Smash Master
I honestly think the paying ppl for pools is dumb as **** we do pools as a favor for people to play as much as they can to make it to the bracket, say im being greedy or something cause I "would make top 5" or whatever regardless, but tournaments are tournaments and I prefer a full bracket, by paying out to pools "winners" your making them lazy to compete and get better imo

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
I honestly think the paying ppl for pools is dumb as **** we do pools as a favor for people to play as much as they can to make it to the bracket, say im being greedy or something cause I "would make top 5" or whatever regardless, but tournaments are tournaments and I prefer a full bracket, by paying out to pools "winners" your making them lazy to compete and get better imo
There is still a bracket...but only the best players are allowed in. It makes it a shorter bracket which allows for more people to watch, more other practice matches/MMs available, and simply more general freedom.

There just needs to be enough people entering.

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
I usually just prefer bracket over pools in any given tourney (excluding nationals). Just about every tourney that tries to have pools (that I've been to atleast, even melee) either runs way too late or falls to something such as this. With a bracket, your given much more time to run the tourney as well as have that extra time just in case misfortunes do happen.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
not done reading this thread, but just out of curiousity... how many "good mk"s are there in FL?

one if you dont count urself since u been using mostly snake/falco?...

so this whole mk ban thing in FL is dealing with a "good mk who knows matchups"

and thats basically... me?

good goin guys, just ban the character in FL literally over me, i guess me getting first is that big a deal, as if i've never lost sets before

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
and for the record, i support the pools payout idea, and i like the "if u dont wana enter the bracket u move down a spot in ur pools results" compensation...

very interesting

and to those that complain about there not being enough time so pools is dumb:

A) not enough time=lower level players just getting to play more tourniment level matches (thats a good thing)

B) with this new format in action, time is less a factor since we wouldn't be making a 32 man bracket after, but a max of a 16 man bracket (which can be done in about 2-3 hours with a good amount of setups)

even with the good amount of setups being dedicated to a 16 man bracket, only 8 tv's will ever be needed at most at any given time, and less tvs would be needed as the tourny completes, allowing for more friendlies/mm's ect.

also, i (even tho it was hype AGAINST me) fully enjoyed everyone watching losers finals/grand finals.

i think we should hold winners finals until we know who emerges from the losers bracket, then turn off all other wii's for the duration of winners finals/losers/grand finals. I think it's at most an hourish of time and it would give players an additional incentive to make it to finals, since those players did make it to finals, i think they deserve the respect of the other players to pay attention and give them their 15 miuntes (prolly more) of spotlight.

this also won't be that big a deal anyway, since with the new format, there will be more time prior to finals for people to get all their mm's/friendlies out of the way and such....

just a thought, mike haze enforces this at his tournies (yes even with mk in finals) and he says he always gets positive feedback from his competitors as a result....

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
i can handle it, i dont mind it

other people would care, i dont really so i guess im the right person for the position

i just like getting appreciation for sick *** reads, even if it is using mk, not EVERYTHING he does is due to him being broken...

Exdeath

Smash Master
My car :/

I'm not putting blame on anyone I drove for my car being late cuz I know in this case **** happens

Sorry for that everyone

I forgive you. :troll:

Tbh...after everything was all said and done...I don't hate the way the tournament was run...like the structure of the payouts.

If you think about it, it's actually pretty nice. It's a tournament without it being too costly since a lot more people get paid out. It reminds me of a smashfest as a tournament. Not to mention it would give more time for more people to practice against everyone instead of the top players sitting in bracket until midnight.

I wouldn't mind entering into more tournaments like that.
The more that I think about it, the more that I like this idea.

I usually just prefer bracket over pools in any given tourney (excluding nationals). Just about every tourney that tries to have pools (that I've been to atleast, even melee) either runs way too late or falls to something such as this. With a bracket, your given much more time to run the tourney as well as have that extra time just in case misfortunes do happen.
The last Holy Smash ran doubles, singles pools, two brackets (top 2 into pro bracket and bottom 2 into amateur bracket), a small MvC3 tournament, and low-tiers (or was it mid-tiers?) with plenty of time to spare. It's not the format that is the problem; it's managing the time and people to optimize the overall tournament process. The main problems with this tournament were people being late/unavailable and therefore the tournament starting late/being protracted, ambiguous TOing, and the power outage(s).

I was leaving early to pick up D-Torr and meet Pesticide at Kyon's house when I realized that someone who had borrowed my driver's license hadn't returned it (and therefore I didn't have my driver's license on me) and as a result I was actually late picking up D-Torr. Add in other little things that happened with our carpool and we ended up being an hour and a half later than we were trying to be, and holding up the entire tournament for an hour.

Once GDX called the initial round of doubles, it was just me running the tournament up to WFs in doubles, and after that GDX pretty much ran the rest of the tournament alone.

People were being generally awful about playing their matches. To give an idea of how inefficient this was, we had free vacant set-ups during the start and then we were short on set-ups in the next round because more people were actually playing their matches. This got better for a little while and then it got a lot worse for a number of reasons. Nick Riddle went to pick up food and held up a significant portion of Loser's Bracket as a result. Two Brawl set-ups were removed because someone switched Brawl out for Melee and someone else switched out Brawl for Brawl-. While this happened, there were three sets simultaneously being held up because teams wanted to play on the live stream and wouldn't play on the available set-ups that I told them to.

I told people to wait for a set to finish and then play the next team immediately. This could have been very helpful and made the tournament efficient, however some people walked off and left TVs vacant until I finished my rounds and found the TV vacant. There were a few incidents of people refusing to stop their casual matches so that tournament matches could take place.

i think we should hold winners finals until we know who emerges from the losers bracket, then turn off all other wii's for the duration of winners finals/losers/grand finals. I think it's at most an hourish of time and it would give players an additional incentive to make it to finals, since those players did make it to finals, i think they deserve the respect of the other players to pay attention and give them their 15 miuntes (prolly more) of spotlight.

this also won't be that big a deal anyway, since with the new format, there will be more time prior to finals for people to get all their mm's/friendlies out of the way and such....

just a thought, mike haze enforces this at his tournies (yes even with mk in finals) and he says he always gets positive feedback from his competitors as a result....
I've been suggesting this for years haha.

Master Raven

Smash Master
i'm beginning to like this pools idea more the more i think about it, but that also may have to do with that i don't really care as much about making money off this game as i used (which was never really that big of a deal for me in the first place). today i put much more emphasis on just getting good enough to be able to take on the top players in the state and beyond, and i know i have potential of doing that. i haven't achieved that goal yet (i've yet to beat any pr member, let alone anyone good from oos), but i know i can through more and more experience. this tourney kinda shot my real level of skill awake and i realize that i have a lot to learn and re-learn, especially so since i'm going marth now.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Pools payout is dumb. Deal with it

And why did me and tony run this tournament? We didn't come to stress out over TOing

Exdeath

Smash Master
Coming from the guy who agreed to split with me and mampam in pools and not go into the tourney. XDDDDD
Just because he agreed then doesn't necessarily mean that he agrees now because they have different criteria. If he agreed then and not now then he probably agreed to help the tournament run faster -- not because he supports it as a standard.

And why did me and tony run this tournament? We didn't come to stress out over TOing

I personally don't mind; I offered to help TO. What bothered me was that there were supposed to be 10+ people helping TO and then most of the work was between just two (more so GDX than me since he ran the most stressful event -- pools -- alone). GDX, I'm sorry that I didn't help or even offer to help with singles, and there were some pretty obvious signs that you were stressed about it and needed help.

After thinking about it, a significant part of this tournament running so late is my failing as a TO -- both not helping GDX and because I pretty much left the tournament alone when there were only a few sets left and assumed that people would get their own matches going on their own. What should have taken an hour and had pools near-prepared ended up taking two hours for singles collection to even begin.

The next clubhouse tournament should run better now that everyone knows the limits of the venue. I was going into the tournament thinking of it like Holy Smash where the venue was bigger with more power and Viper doing a lot of work. Next time, I think that we can get 2-3 people to share the duties (e.g. like a regional instead of like a local) so that it's not just one person stressed out for several hours at a time and then another person in the same position.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
Just because he agreed then doesn't necessarily mean that he agrees now because they have different criteria. If he agreed then and not now then he probably agreed to help the tournament run faster -- not because he supports it as a standard.
In THE nicest way possible I'm not talking to you stay out of other people's business.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
I got 7-8 of the setups there. I moved everything to make it comfortable for everyone. I jumped in and played crowd control when the power went out as well as trying to contact those to fix it. I practically cleaned everything up, including the stuff in the weight room.

Yeah...GDX and Tony ran all of it. I didn't do anything.

I want to hear why pools payout is dumb. Is it because it's different? Banning MK is different, but when it seems like it would help the community, everyone jumps all over it.

Automatically calling out something new as dumb is childish and ignorant. Learn2factualbasis.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I forgive you. :troll:

The more that I think about it, the more that I like this idea.

The last Holy Smash ran doubles, singles pools, two brackets (top 2 into pro bracket and bottom 2 into amateur bracket), a small MvC3 tournament, and low-tiers (or was it mid-tiers?) with plenty of time to spare. It's not the format that is the problem; it's managing the time and people to optimize the overall tournament process. The main problems with this tournament were people being late/unavailable and therefore the tournament starting late/being protracted, ambiguous TOing, and the power outage(s).

I was leaving early to pick up D-Torr and meet Pesticide at Kyon's house when I realized that someone who had borrowed my driver's license hadn't returned it (and therefore I didn't have my driver's license on me) and as a result I was actually late picking up D-Torr. Add in other little things that happened with our carpool and we ended up being an hour and a half later than we were trying to be, and holding up the entire tournament for an hour.

Once GDX called the initial round of doubles, it was just me running the tournament up to WFs in doubles, and after that GDX pretty much ran the rest of the tournament alone.

People were being generally awful about playing their matches. To give an idea of how inefficient this was, we had free vacant set-ups during the start and then we were short on set-ups in the next round because more people were actually playing their matches. This got better for a little while and then it got a lot worse for a number of reasons. Nick Riddle went to pick up food and held up a significant portion of Loser's Bracket as a result. Two Brawl set-ups were removed because someone switched Brawl out for Melee and someone else switched out Brawl for Brawl-. While this happened, there were three sets simultaneously being held up because teams wanted to play on the live stream and wouldn't play on the available set-ups that I told them to.

I told people to wait for a set to finish and then play the next team immediately. This could have been very helpful and made the tournament efficient, however some people walked off and left TVs vacant until I finished my rounds and found the TV vacant. There were a few incidents of people refusing to stop their casual matches so that tournament matches could take place.

I've been suggesting this for years haha.
I got food when I was in winners.
They called other matches while I was gone.
100% holding up brackets.
I also took like... 20 minutes...
I guess you missed the part where the Orlando car got here at around 1:00 when the tournament was supposed to start earlier than that.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
I got 7-8 of the setups there. I moved everything to make it comfortable for everyone. I jumped in and played crowd control when the power went out as well as trying to contact those to fix it. I practically cleaned everything up, including the stuff in the weight room.

Yeah...GDX and Tony ran all of it. I didn't do anything.

I want to hear why pools payout is dumb. Is it because it's different? Banning MK is different, but when it seems like it would help the community, everyone jumps all over it.

Automatically calling out something new as dumb is childish and ignorant. Learn2factualbasis.

^ This. LOL @ ppl saying they did everything. I helped Tommy move the t.vs and tables around clean up stuff too. Don't say you guys did it all. Also I think this pool payout thing is fine. You guys should think its fine too right? I mean you like stupid things like MK being banned.

Top Bottom