• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ditto matches. Do they prove anything?

Solonetz

Smash Rookie
I hope this is the right place to post this.

I have a question for the SWF community.

Do playing ditto matches prove ones skill for that particular character, to be better than his opponent?

In my opinion, ditto matches do not prove this. I believe that it comes down to how each brawler better handles different match-ups and situations. That, to me, is what decides wich brawler is "better skilled" with that character.

err, uh, Ahem. Discuss.

bleyva

Smash Ace
so your telling me that if you and your best friend main the same character, and your friend consistenty beats you in 1v1, that doesnt prove that he's better than you?

exfatal

Smash Cadet
so your telling me that if you and your best friend main the same character, and your friend consistenty beats you in 1v1, that doesnt prove that he's better than you?
it proves that he's better then you in that match up with that character. So no if he beat him with a bunch of his other mains and he cant do the same then yes he's the better player with that character. Dittos prove little.. not nothing but little

Vitality

Smash Ace
They prove that you just know how to space / use the attacks more effectively (if you win by one stock low percent). If it was close then it was just luck.

But mostly it just proves that you're patient to play out a potentially very long match.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Guess it means the winner of the ditto, has better overall spacing and has better control and knows the character in more depth.

Flayl

Smash Hero
It depends, Dedede dittos mean absolutely nothing while, for example, Link dittos should show who's the better Link if there is a consistent winner.

:034:

Smash Hero
No. Reason why is that both players have pretty much the exact same options as the other does at the same time. If you're spacing your attacks (tilts, aerials, whatever) you're spacing your opponent's attacks as well.

Basically... Like anything, it's just a match-up. A better one would be is to both go to a tourney with the same character and see who wins more often against other players. :/

Also some ditto's are super gay, DDD chaingrab anyone?

:034:

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Most dittos are gay
Could you give some examples? All the dittos I've done are great fun.

Answering the question, it just proves that the other person knows the ditto matchup better, and knows the character's options more. It doesn't prove that they're better as a whole.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Dittos prove who's better at dittos.
And that's about it. If you think ditto matches prove anything, boy do I've got a story to share. This isn't directed towards you, Llumys, just people who think ditto matches prove something. There are three Samus mains that I recognize. Dryn, KingChaos and Sago.

They've all done ditto matches more than enough times with one another. Dryn has fought KingChaos numerous of times and only won once. However, when Dryn fought Sago, he won quite a lot, more than Sago defeated him. When the matches came down to Sago vs KingChaos, Sago was able to defeat KingChaos. Okay, so there's a problem here. Dryn can beat Sago, but he can't really beat KingChaos, but Sago can beat KingChaos.

In Ladder matches, KingChaos and Sago do a lot better than Dryn. And by a lot better, I mean they have more wins than losses. However Dryn has some losses that come close to his wins. If Sago can get a high winning streak than Dryn but Dryn can beat Sago and he has some loses that come close to his wins, then that just means ditto matches don't prove anything other than what Llumys just wrote.

'V'

Smash Lord
It only proves that one is better at that particular matchup or how quickly a person can adapt to another's style of playing. It doesn't necessarily mean that that person is better with that character than the other. Some person may not play the ditto all that often it all. It's a weird thing.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
some dittos are good, as aforementioned, link dittos. tlink dittos are even campier but still pretty good lol. peach dittos are fun, mk dittos are the metagame, snake dittos are fun

but there are some really stupid dittos like ic's, ddd, sheik, falco

it just depends on what the character can do. IMO dittos do kinda prove who is smarter and more knowledgable in decision making with that character, unless its a really stupid matchup

u guys should try an ic ditto in melee. anyone can win that ****

ditto brawls for me show who has the greatest tactics and skills with tat character

i do sonic dittos wit a friend all the time,we both kill each other but i think he is a bit more skillful wit sonic than i am

sigh...i still hav much to learn

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
ditto brawls for me show who has the greatest tactics and skills with tat character

i do sonic dittos wit a friend all the time,we both kill each other but i think he is a bit more skillful wit sonic than i am

Well, I seem to always win my Marth dittos with a friend of mine...
Yet, it seems like he's juggling with me more than I do with him.

I don't know why you people dislike dittos so much. Some dittos are cool. Not all of them, sure. But they ain't all boring/lame.

See also: Marth dittos.
See also: Falcon dittos.

Slasherx

Smash Ace
Ice Climber ditto is horrible, it completely destroy their grabs ability.
Is just a match of whoever hit more smashes win.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Ice Climber ditto is horrible, it completely destroy their grabs ability.
Is just a match of whoever hit more smashes win.
I should definitely learn how to use the IC's so I can just go in against them and prove to them that the IC's don't rely on grabs alone to win.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93

All you need to do is learn to play defensively a lot better. Your offensive game is solid, save for being a little too reckless with the Spin Dash/Charge. Sonic's got Side B cancel and ASC - use them.

Ditto matches prove who's better at the dittos, and it proves that you at least know the matchup with your character. You know what to expect from your double, and you know what to use to counter it.

That said, I suck at Sonic dittos. I'm not used to my own speed being used against me. Even if I win the matches, like he said.

Sago

Smash Lord
And that's about it. If you think ditto matches prove anything, boy do I've got a story to share. This isn't directed towards you, Llumys, just people who think ditto matches prove something. There are three Samus mains that I recognize. Dryn, KingChaos and Sago.

They've all done ditto matches more than enough times with one another. Dryn has fought KingChaos numerous of times and only won once. However, when Dryn fought Sago, he won quite a lot, more than Sago defeated him.
lolololol im not sure where your getting your information.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
lolololol im not sure where your getting your information.
I've beaten you several times before, Sago. My brother, Uffe, has watched us play. I don't recall losing to you more than you lost to me. You weren't in the difficult range for me like KingChaos. You've beaten KingChaos. I haven't been able to beat him, except in one match. And, you did a whole lot better than me in the Ladder. Remember your 30th place with Samus?

Sago

Smash Lord
im not saying that your not good at the ditto but i am going to say that friendlies should never be used as proof twords something like ditto matches proveing skill.

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
dittos, to me, prove that, if you were to fight another (your main here) and you enter a tourney in the future and you end up in a ditto or w/e, you'll know what to expect. also its a good way to fight your self? :laugh: what?

Uffe

Smash Hero
how could dittos not prove skill? Its knowing a matchup which requires skill.
But you do a lot better than my brother vs the rest of the roster with your Samus. At least you did. Someone said you don't use Samus anymore. Anyway, don't think that I'm saying you suck, because you don't.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
im not saying that your not good at the ditto but i am going to say that friendlies should never be used as proof twords something like ditto matches proveing skill.
You're still better than me, anyway. And with my lack of playing Brawl for quite some time, I'm not improving, but you are. :urg:

Top Bottom