• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

District 9

smash superstar

Smash Ace
I do not see a post for this movie anywhere and with it released...RIGHT NOW! I want to get a thread going for this film.

I personally will be seeing it this fri night and the anticipation is high for me. =)

I will update this with some information soon, but for now lets just chat about this movie.

please be nice and use your *spoiler* tags =)

Prawn

Smash Master
Just saw it

****ING AMAZING

I LOVED EVERY SECOND

soooo goooood

Spire

III
BRoomer
I haven't been excited for hardly any movies this year, but District 9 has definitely caught my attention. I will see this movie.

Nice pink name Darkslash ;)

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
I'll probably see it. My biggest concern at the moment is that it won't be very subtle in its message.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Strangely, I'm not very excited for this. The concept seems really interesting (it does get points from me purely for being so unconventional) and the teaser trailer that was released forever ago got me anticipating it, but the new trailers and commercials are kind of killing it for me. It looks like the xenophobia is going to take a back seat to explosions, which is not what I was hoping for. Critics seem to love it, but some of them also seem to be confirming my concerns. I'll probably save my money.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I heard this movie was quite amazing from my friends, which has inspired me to movie hop it after G.I. Joe =P

Can't wait, hopefully it turns out good.

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
Holy crap! I just went and saw it, and it was well worth the money.

My number 1 of the summer by far.

The best thing was that it's not a simple explosions action movie (although it is there a little), but it has a great storyline and remains relatively unpredictable throughout the whole thing. It was extremely well thought out and definitely a 'thinker.'

Spire

III
BRoomer
Just got back from seeing it.

It truly captured every bit of attention from me. I absolutely loved this film.

Verdict? Do everything you can to go see this movie. You cannot be disappointed.

DarkAura

Smash Lord
i could of gone with my brother to see it tonight but i chose WiFi tournament instead... 2 way loss cause now i missed a good movie and i lost my match

my brother said it was awesome too

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Do NOT have this movie spoiled.

As PurDi said, you do not see where it's going, even if you've seen the trailer. You have NO IDEA what's in store for you in the movie. And I certainly won't say anything.

Just go see it, immediately, before everyone else you know sees it and ruins it for you.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Well...I'm going to see it next week for sure. I can't wait for it.
I mean it captured my interest with the aliens. Then I saw a power mecha suit, and I got hooked.

*McFox EDIT* I don't care if it's in the trailer, I hadn't seen the trailer going into the movie, so this part took me entirely by surprise, and made it 100 times better for me than my friend who had seen the trailer.

If you see the trailer playing on TV, change the channel immediately.

Darkslash EDIT: Well my bad. If any thing it piped up my interest even more.
What will surprise me is what the hell its going to do, I a big fan of mecha and the abilities of a mecha is going to surprise me more than seeing one. Besides in the original film there were mecha walking all over the place so it REALLY was inevitable.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Go see it now. And do not post spoilers in this thread, and don't let anyone spoil it for you. One of the best movies I've ever seen.

BrawlMoptop11

Smash Rookie
I love this film, great plot, interesting idea, just a great movie. I loved all the *splat* type body explosions, but already I'm saying too much. GO SEE IT!

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Lol I've heard of it, but only saw the ad for it yesterday. Looks weird, and the plot seems WTF.

Jane

Smash Hero
at first i thought it would be stupid, simply because of the plot "omg this time THE HUMANS aren't letting the aliens escape! OOOO:"

but seriously too many people are saying its great, i must see it asap.

GENRL MILLS

Smash Rookie
This is a freakin good movie! Possibly the better ones of the year!
I was going to see this movie just for the fact that Peter Jackson was involved but I was a little worried about the story... But after watching it the story was excellent and pretty intense at times! Some moments such as the battles and deaths are SWEET!!! I would recommend it to anyone who is remotely interested!

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
Going into the theater I had zero enthusiasm, an overwhelming feeling of skeptical disregard, and generally no interest in the film whatsoever. The trailer wasn't impressive, I hadn't heard anything about it from friends, and it seemed like it was going to be yet another Human v. Aliens flick. Aliens meet Humans, Humans and Aliens don't get along, blah blah blah. Trite, shallow, and probably a clunky, obtuse, and painfully forced commentary on xenophobia.

I'm happy to say that I was completely wrong, in every respect. This movie was amazing. So amazing, in fact, that it prompted me to search SWF to see if there was a movie review forum where I could find some discussion on it, even though I normally have no interest in such discussion.

I agree with much of what has been said in this thread, especially the warnings to avoid spoilers. This movie does a good job of keeping you guessing, and the relative non-transparency of the plot really helps pull you in; spoilers will ruin that.

If you haven't seen this movie, you should. You'll enjoy it.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
This is a freakin good movie! Possibly the better ones of the year!
I was going to see this movie just for the fact that Peter Jackson was involved but I was a little worried about the story... But after watching it the story was excellent and pretty intense at times! Some moments such as the battles and deaths are SWEET!!! I would recommend it to anyone who is remotely interested!
Peter Jackson had nothing to do with the movie. He just "presented" it and had producer credits because he financed the film.

Originally, this was going to be "Peter Jackson presents Halo" with the same director, Neil Blomkamp, but no studio wanted it. Jackson, feeling bad, gave
Blomkamp $30 million and said make any movie you want. Blomkamp, having done a short film named "Alive in Joburg," decided to make his project an expansion of that short film.

So, in short, Peter Jackson did nothing.

Sinatra'

Smash Apprentice
well I must say it was one of those movies where it's a little dumb, and then at the same time really good (IMO so don't get mad!!!)

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Loved it, saw it yesterday.

Pretty much everything GoldShadow said.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Went to see it yesterday, it was one of the best scifi films i've seen in a long time. Kinda suprised some of the people i went to see it with weren't that impressed because they thought the script was crap (they said it was because of the swearing, but it wasn't much worse than any other film these days). I was very impressed by the interaction between the actors and the aliens, it was very realistic. It kept my attention throughout the entire movie, and they set up for some great twists in the end.

I pray I didin't spoil it for the rest of ya, I feel i've said too much.

GO SEE IT NOW!!

Rating: 9.99/10 (only because I refuse to ever give a 10 lol)

smash superstar

Smash Ace
sorry I havent been updating this page...Iv been real busy...I will be sure to add some things though.

I personally am writing a review for this for my school's paper so I will be sure to put that up and if anyone else wants me to post their reviews.

keep up the discussion =)

Mugen Infinity

Smash Apprentice
I LOVED this movie! Some of my favorite parts:

When the prawns are being evicted, and they all react poorly to it. They either refuse to sign, fight the agents and get shot, don't know what eviction is, or sign away their house for a little cat food. Christopher Johnson, on the other hand, actually reads it, calls them out for not giving him 24 hours notice, then refuses to sign because it's illegal. Kind of a small thing, but that is just so cool.

When Wikus decides he will help Christopher. He's down there in the basement, looking at the ship and technology. He says, "This, this is very illegal." hahahaha

When Wikus and Christopher are breaking into MNU. Before entering a door, Wikus tells Christopher to "stay there." Christopher says he understands. Then as soon as Wikus opens the next door, Christopher runs forward and almost gets shot. It's amusing how they seem to communicate well, Christopher is amazingly smart, but in some ways he's still not on our level.

slave1

Smash Lord
yes i will have to say that show goes up with my most favorite shows... ever. there is plenty of action, and there is a perfect banlance of it too. which has been missing from most movies these days for example transformers 2 and terminator salvation. both very large let downs

Jane

Smash Hero
saw this last night, and i was a bit dissapointed as too many people told me it was "AMAZING"

it was good yes, great action flick with a scifi twist but there were quite a few "WTF how would that happen" moments which i won't discuss to not ruin anything for anyone.

7.5/10 it was good, just not the great i was expecting. loved christopher.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
saw this last night, and i was a bit dissapointed as too many people told me it was "AMAZING"

it was good yes, great action flick with a scifi twist but there were quite a few "WTF how would that happen" moments which i won't discuss to not ruin anything for anyone.

7.5/10 it was good, just not the great i was expecting. loved christopher.
This is exactly the way I feel. I suppose I was a little spoiled because I did hear about a certain specific thing about the movie before I saw it, but that wasn't even a twist ending or anything. Just an element of the story that isn't really made obvious in the trailers. Overall, it was interesting, though it was unnecessarily disgusting at times and it requires A LOT of suspension of disbelief.
Really? The aliens learned to understand English and the humans learned to understand the alien clicks in 20 years? And Christopher had a secret ship underneath his slum shack that the government was never able to find before? And the **** that fuels alien ships just happens to also turn humans into aliens if they're exposed to it? Come on.

Overall, it was just okay. WAY over-hyped.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Really? The aliens learned to understand English and the humans learned to understand the alien clicks in 20 years?
Why is this at all unrealistic?
It's not like all the humans had to go on was books written in alien language, or wall paintings with writing on them. It was two intelligent species, both with the ability for complex verbal communication. Imagine putting together two groups of people; one that speaks English, and another that speaks Russian. You honestly believe that, after 20 years, they still wouldn't have more or less learned the majority of each others languages? Or say, put group of Spanish speakers with some indigenous African tribe that speaks in clicks; 20 years would be more than enough time to learn most of the other language. Besides, it's not like everybody was fluent. I'm sure that the the majority of humans didn't understand the alien language; just the ones who dealt with them or lived near them. Similarly, it's not like every alien could speak/understand English fluently. As the movie showed, many of them didn't know it at all; many of them didn't understand it very well ("what is eviction?"). Besides, the understandings and misunderstandings of language are part of what make the satire/humor in the movie so great.

And Christopher had a secret ship underneath his slum shack that the government was never able to find before?
Remember it fell in the beginning? And nobody from Earth even went near the thing for a while, and once they did, it probably would have been mass chaos trying to round up and house the aliens. This would have given Christopher, who is extremely intelligent and also physically capable, and his friend(s), more than enough time to bury the craft.

And the **** that fuels alien ships just happens to also turn humans into aliens if they're exposed to it? Come on.
Yeah, this is very sci-fi, but how can you say "Come on"? I'm sure you wouldn't expect complete realism from a sci fi movie. It's supposed to be sci-fi. That's the whole point. And the movie's entire premise is based around this point.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
This is exactly the way I feel. I suppose I was a little spoiled because I did hear about a certain specific thing about the movie before I saw it, but that wasn't even a twist ending or anything. Just an element of the story that isn't really made obvious in the trailers. Overall, it was interesting, though it was unnecessarily disgusting at times and it requires A LOT of suspension of disbelief.
Overall, it was just okay. WAY over-hyped.
These are my feelings exactly.
It was very entertaining to watch but it wasn't what I expected (as in the movie, not the story, plot or stuff like that). Also why did they have to say f*** like 10 times every time something bad happened, whoever wrote the script could have and should have probably used other words/phrases, and still give the same effect in some places.

Top Bottom