• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dirtiest Player in the Game - Wario Social Thread

Brittleorgans

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0946-3139-5325
Nope, I was Wario whenever playing any serious match. I was close to making it out of pools which was exciting for me.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
gocha.. kassandranova, from what i saw, was pretty good (except while playing biglou where she got really flustered) and i played carls, he is pretty good too.

Loe1 really surprised me this tournament. Good stuff to him.

Brittleorgans

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0946-3139-5325
Yeah, I learned some stuff. He used dthrow > tire > waft on me :facepalm: Also using bite on people on platforms seemed like an awesome option. Also to Di with fair instead of air dodge. (seriously thought that was just a preference thing up til now)

inb4 things i should've known already :)

xzx

Smash Lord
Don't forget to post the videos; I also wanna see LOE1's Wario! Good stuff to him! =D

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
i dont think any matches were really recorded. I saved all the replays i could to the wii, but one set i saw was really intense!

Loe1 was vsing MJG in like losers semis and was going to time (obv) 20 seconds left on the clock or something and loe was down a decent amount of percent. Next thing you know he gets an fsmash > fart > bike under the stage to take the game. HYPEE!!

Shame he lost the set :(

Lord Chair

Smash Master
We're discussing Peach, Marth, Yoshi and ZSS. I wanted to press +1 on Yoshi but it appears it's going to be even considering Sky and Seibrik are nowhere to be found, Yoshis unanimously want 0 and DMG argues 0 as well. This MU is a matter of number semantics (as most are) so it's whatever. Marth panel wanted +1 but they aren't saying anything so it's whatever. Peach and ZSS managed some sort of superficial discussion.

To be honest the MU chart project is a bit of a failure considering almost all of the participating members have either one of these flaws:

1. They suck at the game and have no idea what they're talking about.
2. They have no idea how to manage a debate.
3. They have no idea how to express themselves.
4. They don't actually speak up.

A lot of people just spew out random trivia about a MU or spend a LOT of time arguing invalid or unimportant matters. Actual in-depth discussion is really hard to come by. Even if proper discussions comes to be it tends to drown in numbers semantics because the ratio system is profoundly flawed. It's really a big 'oh well'.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
I've done alot of thinking on my thoughts on matchups for a while and I've come to this conclusion:

anything outside of saying "this matchup is harder than most" or "easier than most" is a waste of time. It is impossible (imo) to put an accurate number on these matchups because it is impossible for us to determine just how hard or easy a matchup will be for a particular person. In the end how a person does in a matchup will come down to their personal experience and playstyle vs said character, not based off of some matchup chart that ultimately people do NOT come to an agreement about, most matchups are determined by majority rule, which completely discredits the opinions of the miniority of that group.

TLDR: Matchups are based too much on personal preference to be measured numerically. The best we can feasibly argue is that a given matchup might be harder than normal, or easier than normal.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
Another thing:

it's not just a matter of how accurate i think the chart is, i truely believe having numbers on the chart causes more harm than good.

If anyone is familiar with the self-fufilling prophecy you might understand.
You tell a person a matchup is so bad its -3, they will go into that match (assuming no prior experience) expecting the worst, and focusing on all the bad things they have in the matchup, they will not go into it with their personal creativity trying to utilize their strengths to win the current match. Their mind may be to clouded with the matchup chart's image to find possible answers for things giving them issues. Not only that, but because they're predisposed to believe the matchup is whatever it is, when something bad happens they will blame it on the severity of the matchup, and not invest effort looking for a way around the issue.

People become more accepting of their characters faults instead of trying to create new strengths.

As a result, this effects the big picture of the community because it can put a huge halt on the progress of these matchups, as so many people will opt to give up and change characters instead of dealing with it.

The only real positive there is to a matchup chart existing is to help people playing characters below high tier to pick a secondary that helps cover their less favorable matchups. Which again could be done if the chart only said "easier than normal" or "harder than normal"

xzx

Smash Lord
Wow guys, that is a little sad. I honestly think that the MU ratios ranging from +4-(-4) truly suck and are inaccurate. I think MU ratios ranging from +5-(-5) are a much better idea. For example, today the MUs "Wario vs Link" and "Wario vs Samus" say that Wario has +2, which is true, but "Wario vs Donkey Kong" is also considered +2 to Wario. But according to me, when one is using the MU ratios ranging from +5-(-5), one can say that "Wario vs Samus and Link" is +2/+5 to Wario, while "Wario vs Donkey Kong" is +3/+5. See my point? MU ratios become more accurate that way.

Well, hope the project will at least be finished and completed.

xzx

Smash Lord
Why is Wario Boards suddenly so dead? '_' Cannot we just discuss something?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
What's there to discuss, exactly? The game is pretty much figured out.

I've been using Up-B as a means of panic button-ing with solid success near platforms. It does a good amount of damage, and I know when I'm hit by it, my SDI-inclined reflex is to go downward and I end up getting hit by all of it. Fairly gimmicky, but at least you get the 50/50 of whether or not you'll fall through the platform on the landing.

xzx

Smash Lord
We can for example discuss Wario's placement on the tier list? Yeah, Up-B is a good panic button in some situations. =P

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Unless someone shows off some really good tire-based zoning or something, I don't really see Wario going anywhere but down (though not by much). His metagame is dynamic but pretty stagnant, and it's been that way for a while.

The game is pretty much figured out, regardless; I don't expect the tier list to move around much more outside of knee-jerk reactions (both initial ones and fixing previous ones).

Croi

Smash Lord
What's there to discuss, exactly? The game is pretty much figured out.

I've been using Up-B as a means of panic button-ing with solid success near platforms. It does a good amount of damage, and I know when I'm hit by it, my SDI-inclined reflex is to go downward and I end up getting hit by all of it. Fairly gimmicky, but at least you get the 50/50 of whether or not you'll fall through the platform on the landing.
I was ahead of the curve, clearly.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I didn't realize that the second half of Squirtle's shellshifting was like being in a sliding neutral position until 2012 (the most useful part of it), despite the fact that it was shown in videos years prior.

xzx

Smash Lord
Unless someone shows off some really good tire-based zoning or something, I don't really see Wario going anywhere but down (though not by much). His metagame is dynamic but pretty stagnant, and it's been that way for a while.

The game is pretty much figured out, regardless; I don't expect the tier list to move around much more outside of knee-jerk reactions (both initial ones and fixing previous ones).
Yeah, I also can't see Wario going anywhere but down. The day Wario will lose some good representation and/or mostly his good tournament placing I will see him as High tier. But for now, I see him at the bottom of Top tier, 10th place.

Tesh

Smash Hero
i have a replay of a wario spawning 2 bikes by being hit during a wheelie, is this known or should i bother uploading it so you can see.

it was like wheelie while going towards the ledge, got hit by 3rd hit of snake's nair and there was suddenly a bike on the ground and one falling in a different direction

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
^ i guess thats kinda cool. I didnt know about it but seems possible with the bike mechanics the way that they are..

cant say its useful though :/

(hmmm.. 4 tires for wario.. 4 tires for another wario.. 8 tire wario dittos.. 8tire doubles wario.. insta-throw everything.. :happydyno: )

Tesh

Smash Hero
well i was hoping it might be an useable gimmick in doubles if u can spawn many bikes somehow

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I am interested in figuring out how the Bike properties work, like the bike fusion and the disappearing bike.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Perhaps. Another point of concern would be that it seems like Wario had reached the point where the wheelie would've fallen over, so maybe the game wanted to make that happen and he was interrupted at the same time.

EDIT: Another video where this happens, and both of our observations appear to be the case there, too. Hmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkYJ_rHw9CI

xzx

Smash Lord
Yeah, it seems that Wario must get hit while doing a wheelie. This could be useful vs DDD, the double bike. Or against any other character for that matter.

xzx

Smash Lord
Me too. When one must escape quickly and a jump or roll isn't enough. Like against King Dedede sometimes.

Labernash

Smash Lord
I like that double bike thing. Also, both times they were riding up a slant. May not be anything, but there's a similarity. EDIT: That would actually only be thought of as somewhat useful in doubles, when your team mate can hit you. I think that this is actually worth learning just for fun; let's find Masky and have him name it.

One time, my friend was playing Wario and he jumped off his bike and it just vanished. Saved a replay.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Don't be a jerk. I've already tried that. Funny thing is I knew you were going to post with a snide/unhelpful remark. How about YOU use the search function and find the information since it's your suggestion.

Anyways, I've also tried looking up videos and I've even read the forums back a couple pages, but no luck. The surrounding Wario's in my area doesn't know the timing either.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Well, the thing is, nobody is ever satisfied with the explanation we give, so it gets irritating having to do this for people. People ask for a video when a video of such a thing won't really show anything.

http://smashboards.com/threads/dthrow-chaingrab.228427/#post-7466449

It's important to note that releasing the Grab button before the grab happens is very important.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Don't be a jerk. I've already tried that. Funny thing is I knew you were going to post with a snide/unhelpful remark. How about YOU use the search function and find the information since it's your suggestion.

Anyways, I've also tried looking up videos and I've even read the forums back a couple pages, but no luck. The surrounding Wario's in my area doesn't know the timing either.
You're funny.

Top Bottom