• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Diddy's Q&A + Competitive Development - ASK QUESTIONS HERE

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
How do I consistently gimp Diddy when recovering, especially when he uses the jetpack and recovering high? My edgeguarding in general is pretty weak, but while I'm always told Diddy's recovery sucks I can rarely seem to stop him from coming back onstage. My best bet is usually just hitting him out of SideB with Mega Man's Bair (I also play a lot of Greninja and a little bit of Pit & Rosalina on the side sometimes, and I can't gimp him much with any of them), if I can even catch up to him and hit him at all that is. Some Diddy's charge the jetpack and fly right over my head and I dunno what to do about it.

On a side note, do you also have any advice for what to do when he makes a Banana? The banana is the most annoying thing about fighting him imo, shielding doesn't seem to be too safe on option when he can command grab, and somehow I almost always end up eating a Banana > Fsmash combo and get killed. I've tried grabbing his banana and using it against him, but it's only been effective for me sometimes.
Try moves with long lasting hit boxes, drop off the stage while using Paul/pit's Nair, or use an arrow, as those are killer against diddy.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Is there any use of our Dash Attack? lol
Personally I never use it and never saw someone use it at high level play.
It can work as an option cover when the opponent is near the end of the stage due to having a lingering hitbox when you're cartwheeling at the ledge.

It also can be used as mixup at mid-range instead of sideb if you want to pick up a grounded peel at the same time. It's not safe on block but it punishes a lot of other actions if you do it instantly rather than out of a run.

It's an ok move, it's just that sideb and peel toss punish in similar scenarios and are safer. Main advantage it has is that it sends them upward.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
tilt stick has changed my life, everyone change your c stick to attack right now (****ing accidental nairs are gonna take me awhile to get used to though)

also you can also usmash (in addition to running fair/side b/banana) in most situations where you can dash attack, so it's usually a suboptimal option

Sonicninja115

tilt stick has changed my life, everyone change your c stick to attack right now (****ing accidental nairs are gonna take me awhile to get used to though)

also you can also usmash (in addition to running fair/side b/banana) in most situations where you can dash attack, so it's usually a suboptimal option
C attack is great! If you are using c for attack then look into instant popgun cancel, a thread was just made about it. I would seriously recommend switching R to B, I am able to do it nine times out of ten after only an hour or two of practice. It works amazingly into Dtilt, Utilt and Dsmash. One of the best AT's I have learned.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Why do you like c stick as tilts for diddy though? What makes it important? I didn't think diddy would need tilts on the c stick instead of smashes

Sonicninja115

Why do you like c stick as tilts for diddy though? What makes it important? I didn't think diddy would need tilts on the c stick instead of smashes
I personally find it easier as my other characters benefit from C attack. Another reason is that it keeps me from spamming smash attacks and helps me take safer options. It is also easier for me to Dtilt quickly and helps me move out of it faster.

IPC gives a very good reason to have it on tilts. IPC with R, L and C attack is really easy once you get the timing down. And smash attacks aren't overly difficult to do either.

Also, I have X set to grab to help Z catching, and this also helps smashing out of IPC as you just have to slide your finger across the A and X buttons while holding a direction and R.

Anyways, it's just my preference.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
For me it's 100% about dtilt, specifically dtilt while walking (as crouching or crawling beforehand tends to make the move obvious). JCIT -> dtilt just feels so good now. With Ness I might stick to the regular Smash C Stick because I do retreating bairs with the C stick and I can't risk having nairs come out.

Sonicninja115

So it appears that the optimal combo string on Mario without using mix-ups is dthrow-Fair add some percent to get to at least 23% and then Uthrow-Bair-Bair.

Another vid:

ZeRo does it multiple times, but switches to Uthrow-Bair in the second match. Maybe Uthrow-Uair is better to get Uthrow Dair afterwards?

Edit: this should be pretty useful, it looks better then regular boost grab.

Edit: an easier way to PP.

Last edited:

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
For me it's 100% about dtilt, specifically dtilt while walking (as crouching or crawling beforehand tends to make the move obvious). JCIT -> dtilt just feels so good now. With Ness I might stick to the regular Smash C Stick because I do retreating bairs with the C stick and I can't risk having nairs come out.
mmm...throwing out quick Dtilts has never been an issue with me. Anything else worth changing to tilt stick for? I use tilt stick for characters like Sheik but I see no use for Diddy tbh.

Sonicninja115

mmm...throwing out quick Dtilts has never been an issue with me. Anything else worth changing to tilt stick for? I use tilt stick for characters like Sheik but I see no use for Diddy tbh.
IPC becomes easier. other then that, there is not much use. The same can be said with Smash though. It is really just preference.

Edit: Diddy can DA-Uair. This also allows Diddy to Dtilt-DA-Uair, killing characters at 80ish. It is sorta hard to do, but practice makes perfect.

Also, if you throw a banana after monkey flip grabbing someone, you gain MF back.

Could this allow MF-Banana toss-MF? If so, recovering should be interesting

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
So, I know how reverse side b's momentum with banana and popgun, but I sometimes see top diddies (mvd and zero specifically) reverse the momentum with popgun then somehow cancel popgun to land smoothly? how do they do that

Sonicninja115

So, I know how reverse side b's momentum with banana and popgun, but I sometimes see top diddies (mvd and zero specifically) reverse the momentum with popgun then somehow cancel popgun to land smoothly? how do they do that
I explain it in the AT section, but here is a better explanation.

You know ho IPC works right? it's sorta the same, except, you either press shield and PP at the same time or press shield during the MF animation. This will cause Diddy to not airdodge, and immediately cancel the PP.

This can be done at any time.

With Mewtwo, it doesn't cancel the SB. Instead, it puts up a shield (cancels it) as soon as Mewtwo lands. This allows Mewtwo to hop around and stuff.

Did I explain it right?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I explain it in the AT section, but here is a better explanation.

You know ho IPC works right? it's sorta the same, except, you either press shield and PP at the same time or press shield during the MF animation. This will cause Diddy to not airdodge, and immediately cancel the PP.

This can be done at any time.

With Mewtwo, it doesn't cancel the SB. Instead, it puts up a shield (cancels it) as soon as Mewtwo lands. This allows Mewtwo to hop around and stuff.

Did I explain it right?
thanks, this is working

I always get shield tho, am I holding the shield button too long?

also while I was trying to get it I did side b and diddy kinda "stepped" back a bit when I landed ala wavedash backwards, probably a useless tech but it looked neat lmao. couldn't recreate it tho.

Sonicninja115

thanks, this is working

I always get shield tho, am I holding the shield button too long?

also while I was trying to get it I did side b and diddy kinda "stepped" back a bit when I landed ala wavedash backwards, probably a useless tech but it looked neat lmao. couldn't recreate it tho.
It is called supercrawl. It happens when Diddy has extra momentum when he lands. MSC did a thing on it in their Diddy, tips and Tricks video.

You can let go of the Shield button as soon as the PP cancels. This allows you to B-Reverse again if wanted (Either PP or Banana) or you can throw out an aerial.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
IPC becomes easier. other then that, there is not much use. The same can be said with Smash though. It is really just preference.

Edit: Diddy can DA-Uair. This also allows Diddy to Dtilt-DA-Uair, killing characters at 80ish. It is sorta hard to do, but practice makes perfect.

Also, if you throw a banana after monkey flip grabbing someone, you gain MF back.

Actually I take that back. I keep forgetting to use Utilt in my game. @_@

mmm...what if you fast fall the monkey flip to throw the banana and then MF again? Would make interesting combos at low percents. I don't think it's really useful at high percents though since you're not gonna MF grab someone when recovering except for a few specific situations and you're probably not going to have a banana in those specific situations. xd

Sonicninja115

Actually I take that back. I keep forgetting to use Utilt in my game. @_@

mmm...what if you fast fall the monkey flip to throw the banana and then MF again? Would make interesting combos at low percents. I don't think it's really useful at high percents though since you're not gonna MF grab someone when recovering except for a few specific situations and you're probably not going to have a banana in those specific situations. xd
It might allow you to double MF without grabbing anyone. I have to test it and see if it is only after grabbing someone.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCp2n0g_Fck&index=17&list=PLdzzxjI64mVdAY37WOW4klquzPIA-_K4a

Bair works and fair is only off by 2 frames

Last edited:

iAft3rbang

Smash Cadet
NNID
iAft3rbang
Is there anyway to land a fair with no lag ? Ive been watching Zero playing his diddy and fair seems so fast on landing. When I do it SH ... I always land with lag.

Sonicninja115

Is there anyway to land a fair with no lag ? Ive been watching Zero playing his diddy and fair seems so fast on landing. When I do it SH ... I always land with lag.
I believe you have to SH Fair and then DI back, this should cause Diddy to hit the autocancel window.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I believe you have to SH Fair and then DI back, this should cause Diddy to hit the autocancel window.
no. just use fair while jumping (rising fair), you're probably using fair too late which won't get it to autocancel.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
This is probably a question all of you have answered or seen before, so sorry before I ask.

Is diddy still viable, yes or no?
Yes of course! Still in the 6-9 range I'd say on the tier list. As long as Diddy has Dtilt, Banana, Forward Air, Monkey Flip, and Hoo Hah I'd say he will always be top tier. He just doesn't kill as early anymore but still has the same tools as he always had.

Last edited:

jset818

Smash Cadet
I can't seem to buffer fsmash after dtilt. I can dtilt - dsmash and dtilt-upsmash just fine but whenever I try to dtilt then fsmash right away, 90% of the time the fsmash would come out as a ftilt. I'm thinking it's because of the slow startup of fsmash. Anybody have the same issue? Anyway around it? I have my c-stick set to tilts, I believe 90% of the top Diddy players have the same control scheme.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Agreed, I am steadily starting to use it more in my game, however, the best option for it is usually edge-guarding.
That tool is pretty versatile imo. You can:

• Slow the pace down.
  • Throw off momentum
  • Zone
  • Control space
  • Mind game
  • Edge guard
  • Get free damage from seemingly "random" shots
I would know too. I play doc Mario, where we use our projectile in a similar way (different obviously, but still).

Sonicninja115

That tool is pretty versatile imo. You can:

• Slow the pace down.
  • Throw off momentum
  • Zone
  • Control space
  • Mind game
  • Edge guard
  • Get free damage from seemingly "random" shots
I would know too. I play doc Mario, where we use our projectile in a similar way (different obviously, but still).
It has many uses, but it also has downsides. It is easy to catch and isn't safe on shield at about medium range, you just have to be careful at not overusing it.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
It has many uses, but it also has downsides. It is easy to catch and isn't safe on shield at about medium range, you just have to be careful at not overusing it.
Yea, just don't be predictable. That's rule #1 for all projectiles in all fighting games. The best projectile users will have a seemingly random pattern.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
You guys need to use that popgun more.

A friendly tip from a doc Mario main.
I always use it. It's very useful. Two things I rarely see from other Diddy players are the use of the Popgun as well as his Nair. His Fast fall Nair is a great combo starter which can lead into Up air, Back Air, and Forward air.

Sonicninja115

I always use it. It's very useful. Two things I rarely see from other Diddy players are the use of the Popgun as well as his Nair. His Fast fall Nair is a great combo starter which can lead into Up air, Back Air, and Forward air.
FF Nair can even true into Grab at 0% on Shiek, not on the counter, but she can't get out.

Spatman

Smash Ace
I can't seem to buffer fsmash after dtilt. I can dtilt - dsmash and dtilt-upsmash just fine but whenever I try to dtilt then fsmash right away, 90% of the time the fsmash would come out as a ftilt. I'm thinking it's because of the slow startup of fsmash. Anybody have the same issue? Anyway around it? I have my c-stick set to tilts, I believe 90% of the top Diddy players have the same control scheme.
I often have your same problem (sometimes instead fsmash come out without problems... without I had thought to do another move! XD ) , but I use the analog stick to do everything. Now I'm wondering what would happen if I used c-stick to do smash attacks regularly (right now I have smashes on my c-stick, but I don't use it ever)

Sonicninja115

It is all timing, sorry... I do them all the time but I can't explain how...

I do know that you don't have to flick the stick twice, but you have to be pretty specific to get the fsmash while not overruling the step.

Sonicninja115

Has anyone been wondering why ZeRo and MVD do a JC banana toss up into grab? Wonder no more! The banana comes down in such a way, that it is possible to get it to hit the opponent, and true it into Uair at higher percents, kill percents. So yeah. Sorta unreliable, but a very good confirm.

Lylo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chompypy
3DS FC
0490-8557-3079
Lmao and I thought first it was misinputs ... then I was like "nah no way ZeRo"

Sonicninja115

Lmao and I thought first it was misinputs ... then I was like "nah no way ZeRo"
Same with me! I was watching him and I was thinking, "What the heck is he doing that for?" It wasn't until his set with Mr. R that I found it out. I am going to analyze the matches once they are uploaded.

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
I was wondering what the optimal DI for Diddy's grabs are? What are the big danger zone percents for big combos? Is there any exact numbers of how safe banana is on block?

Sonicninja115

I was wondering what the optimal DI for Diddy's grabs are? What are the big danger zone percents for big combos? Is there any exact numbers of how safe banana is on block?
Check out my thread! I will link it here. Also, if you have any questions about it, ask them please! It is going a bit far down the list.

EDIT: http://smashboards.com/threads/cranky-kongs-wisdom-tech-and-knowledge-compendium.423816/

I am still editing and adding to it. If there is anything you would like to see added to the guide, just ask!

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace

DA would be Dash Attack?

Sonicninja115

DA would be Dash Attack?
Yep, be forewarned however, as this combo is seriously tricky and unreliable. Also, Da-Fair trues at low percents. I haven't been able to get RAR Bair to true annoyingly, pretty sure it can.

Top Bottom