• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Diddy's Q&A + Competitive Development - ASK QUESTIONS HERE

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
There is one thing I just discovered that I don't know if people are aware of.

Diddy Kong can do a "gentleman" with his jab by holding the attack button after hitting someone with the jab instead of hitting it three times to do rapid jab.

I don't know how useful this is as it is very weak (like as strong the first two to hits of the jab) and doesn't appear to combo into anything, but I'm just spreading the word just in case no one really knows about this. What do you guys think?

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
There is one thing I just discovered that I don't know if people are aware of.

Diddy Kong can do a "gentleman" with his jab by holding the attack button after hitting someone with the jab instead of hitting it three times to do rapid jab.

I don't know how useful this is as it is very weak (like as strong the first two to hits of the jab) and doesn't appear to combo into anything, but I'm just spreading the word just in case no one really knows about this. What do you guys think?
Do Rapid Jab, but hold Z. It will automatically cancel at the third.

kasakuri

Smash Rookie
What controls do you guys use to space auto cancel , fast fall rising fairs? If I use the Y button and A, I move forward a little and mess up my spacing. whereas if I use the Y button and the cstick, I can't do a rising fair because the distance my thumb travels is too far.

Sonicninja115

What controls do you guys use to space auto cancel , fast fall rising fairs? If I use the Y button and A, I move forward a little and mess up my spacing. whereas if I use the Y button and the cstick, I can't do a rising fair because the distance my thumb travels is too far.
Y and A is possible, but still not that easy. Pazx Pazx Do you have any advice?

Sonicninja115

Does anyone have any tips for fighting Mario/Lucario?
Lucario is a toughie because he can kill Diddy really easily as well as having that aura mechanic. However, Diddy is still a better character. Diddy out frame data's Lucario, so try using your faster moves to your advantage. Also, Diddy has more, and better kill set-ups, as well as banana. Make sure to pressure him with Banana and elusive Dtilts.

As for Mario, look up ZeRo's channel as he did something on that recently. Otherwise, respect the Usmash, remember that it can be punished. Learn the DI for his combos and start implementing ledge traps. That's the best advice I have. Also, look up ZeRo/Zinoto vs. Ally.

Possom

Smash Cadet
Lucario is a toughie because he can kill Diddy really easily as well as having that aura mechanic. However, Diddy is still a better character. Diddy out frame data's Lucario, so try using your faster moves to your advantage. Also, Diddy has more, and better kill set-ups, as well as banana. Make sure to pressure him with Banana and elusive Dtilts.

As for Mario, look up ZeRo's channel as he did something on that recently. Otherwise, respect the Usmash, remember that it can be punished. Learn the DI for his combos and start implementing ledge traps. That's the best advice I have. Also, look up ZeRo/Zinoto vs. Ally.
Thanks I'll check it out, though I think that Zero video is a little bit too much beginner oriented for me.

Guimartgon

Smash Apprentice
Could any kind soul link me to Diddy's hitboxes? I found a video on Youtube but it lacks the hitboxes for Fair and Bair which I really wanna see.

Sonicninja115

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Gonna pick up Mewtwo again though I've heard his Diddy mu is anywhere from 'not that bad' to 'downright awful and what's eventually going to hold Mewtwo back'. Was wondering what Diddy mains thoughts are on the mu and if any of these mu's are more difficult for Diddy than the Mewtwo one: :4pikachu::4pit::4feroy:. There's also :4cloud: and :4mario: who I'm sure fair better but I'm wondering about the former 3 first. Not exactly looking for winning mu's vs Diddy as I've heard he loses to :4luigi::4megaman::4olimar: and none of those interest me. Just looking for a possible second option in case the Diddy v Mewtwo mu is as bad as I hear. Seeing Sonicninja115 here is a good sign since he uses Mewtwo.

Possom

Smash Cadet
Gonna pick up Mewtwo again though I've heard his Diddy mu is anywhere from 'not that bad' to 'downright awful and what's eventually going to hold Mewtwo back'. Was wondering what Diddy mains thoughts are on the mu and if any of these mu's are more difficult for Diddy than the Mewtwo one: :4pikachu::4pit::4feroy:. There's also :4cloud: and :4mario: who I'm sure fair better but I'm wondering about the former 3 first. Not exactly looking for winning mu's vs Diddy as I've heard he loses to :4luigi::4megaman::4olimar: and none of those interest me. Just looking for a possible second option in case the Diddy v Mewtwo mu is as bad as I hear. Seeing Sonicninja115 here is a good sign since he uses Mewtwo.
Diddy has no problem against Roy or Pitt. Pika can be tough.

Sonicninja115

Is the Pika mu any more difficult than the Mewtwo one?
Mewtwo, frankly, gets pwned by Diddy. Diddy has a couple of options that are insanely hard for M2 to deal with. Namely, ledge traps, easy kill confirms and high damage grab combos. Mewtwo doesn't like taking a lot of damage, and Diddy is a character that racks up 50% really fast, before using Dtilt's and Fairs until kill percents, which is 80%. Also, Dtilt-Fsmash trues against Mewtwo. The top player results is currently 0-10 in diddy's favor. This includes Rich and Aba fighting ZeRo, Zinoto and the like.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Mewtwo, frankly, gets pwned by Diddy. Diddy has a couple of options that are insanely hard for M2 to deal with. Namely, ledge traps, easy kill confirms and high damage grab combos. Mewtwo doesn't like taking a lot of damage, and Diddy is a character that racks up 50% really fast, before using Dtilt's and Fairs until kill percents, which is 80%. Also, Dtilt-Fsmash trues against Mewtwo. The top player results is currently 0-10 in diddy's favor. This includes Rich and Aba fighting ZeRo, Zinoto and the like.
So a secondary would be a good idea then. Assuming I can use Pika decently, I'll see about using him for the Diddy mu. If not, I'll probably resort to Cloud or Mario.

Possom

Smash Cadet
So a secondary would be a good idea then. Assuming I can use Pika decently, I'll see about using him for the Diddy mu. If not, I'll probably resort to Cloud or Mario.
Mario is better than Cloud against Diddy imo.

Spatman

Smash Ace
DIddys, I need your help! they are months and months I try to learn dtil-->rar bair, maybe preceded by glidetossed banana, but I can't.
I can do it only towards a side of the stage, only in lab, only with the momentum of the glidetoss and just 1 time out of 4, more or less, but I NEED to implement it in my game.
Any suggestions, please? I use c-stick to input tilts and aerials since I put the tap jump on

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
How can I use Monkey Flip more offensively? I only use it for recovery and I really want to be more offensively mobile.

Sonicninja115

How can I use Monkey Flip more offensively? I only use it for recovery and I really want to be more offensively mobile.
Monkey flip is a rather good option. You can switch from the grab-attack at a moments notice, allowing you to really mix up your opponent. Also, it is rather safe on shield. Especially if you get the "Smash" monkey Flip and ledge cancel it.

The biggest counterplay against MF is crouching and spotdodges. If you play your cards right, these aren't that bad. But, if you get predictable, you can get punished hard. That's my advice in a nutshell.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
The biggest thing to keep in mind when you're trying to add offensive monkey flips to your game is not to overuse it - it's an incredibly strong tool but it's also easy to punish when it becomes predictable. The number one mistake I personally make is using it to try and brute-force my way back to center stage since the kick beats basically everything, if an opponent reads this and just shields the kick or dashes away before pivot grabbing or running back in and punishing you will get absolutely destroyed. If you catch on to your opponent retreating when they expect monkey flips the best way to deal with the situation is to just take stage control by walking forwards and playing safe. I also suggest you predominantly use the grab rather than the kick (unless you're trying to condition them to shield OR you need to beat an attack head on [this is risky]), and learn the distances where you can ledge cancel monkey flip if you miss/the kick gets shielded.

Also, sh bair/bair bair/bair mf mixups are lowkey godlike (all typically done retreating), so is autocancel monkey flip one way to instantly monkey flip the other way.

MERPIS MERPIS

DIddys, I need your help! they are months and months I try to learn dtil-->rar bair, maybe preceded by glidetossed banana, but I can't.
I can do it only towards a side of the stage, only in lab, only with the momentum of the glidetoss and just 1 time out of 4, more or less, but I NEED to implement it in my game.
Any suggestions, please? I use c-stick to input tilts and aerials since I put the tap jump on
Practice practice practice. I couldn't do this one consistently for ages but now it's one of my most reliable kill options. It might help to just practice RAR bair on it's own a bunch in each direction before you try to add in the dtilts. If you can perfect pivot consistently you can also dtilt perfect pivot bair, and if your opponent DIs inwards you can sometimes get away with dtilt dash dance bair (although this is not optimal and will miss opponents that go too far away).

When I'm practicing stuff like this I like to go in to training mode, set the number of CPUs to 2 or 3 and put their percent on around 110% and just do it over and over on both sides of the stage. Take breaks if you're hitting a wall but come back another day and you'll get it.

Last edited:

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
Wondered if there were any good videos giving tips on diddy's throw combos and set ups? I can do the standard up throw up air, but I often see ZeRo going for a turnaround double bair after to up throw and I think I also saw him doing a low percent forward throw rar bair?

Nabil

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nabil_M12
3DS FC
1091-9087-4839
So I've seen the other threads about this but the invite link just doesn't seem to work. I used to be in it but now I'm not, could anyone post a working invite link?

Sonicninja115

So I've seen the other threads about this but the invite link just doesn't seem to work. I used to be in it but now I'm not, could anyone post a working invite link?
Please check out this site: http://smashcords.com/

Wondered if there were any good videos giving tips on diddy's throw combos and set ups? I can do the standard up throw up air, but I often see ZeRo going for a turnaround double bair after to up throw and I think I also saw him doing a low percent forward throw rar bair?
Pazx Pazx

Spatman

Smash Ace
The biggest thing to keep in mind when you're trying to add offensive monkey flips to your game is not to overuse it - it's an incredibly strong tool but it's also easy to punish when it becomes predictable. The number one mistake I personally make is using it to try and brute-force my way back to center stage since the kick beats basically everything, if an opponent reads this and just shields the kick or dashes away before pivot grabbing or running back in and punishing you will get absolutely destroyed. If you catch on to your opponent retreating when they expect monkey flips the best way to deal with the situation is to just take stage control by walking forwards and playing safe. I also suggest you predominantly use the grab rather than the kick (unless you're trying to condition them to shield OR you need to beat an attack head on [this is risky]), and learn the distances where you can ledge cancel monkey flip if you miss/the kick gets shielded.

Also, sh bair/bair bair/bair mf mixups are lowkey godlike (all typically done retreating), so is autocancel monkey flip one way to instantly monkey flip the other way.

MERPIS MERPIS

Practice practice practice. I couldn't do this one consistently for ages but now it's one of my most reliable kill options. It might help to just practice RAR bair on it's own a bunch in each direction before you try to add in the dtilts. If you can perfect pivot consistently you can also dtilt perfect pivot bair, and if your opponent DIs inwards you can sometimes get away with dtilt dash dance bair (although this is not optimal and will miss opponents that go too far away).

When I'm practicing stuff like this I like to go in to training mode, set the number of CPUs to 2 or 3 and put their percent on around 110% and just do it over and over on both sides of the stage. Take breaks if you're hitting a wall but come back another day and you'll get it.
thank you for the reply! after a lot of training now I can do it at kill percentages (when it really matters, I guess) because at those percentages opponent characters have enough hitstun and get enough knockback to give me the time perform the rar bair. Still I can't reliably do it faster, but it's better than nothing.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I've been meaning to make a proper Diddy combo/training guide for months but haven't quite gotten around to it, lately I've been planning some videos as well so I'll try to bring them to fruition.

http://pastebin.com/wQCWW139 Here's a really basic combo guide I did ages ago. Certain things are missing from that, such as dthrow monkey flip kick fair/uair (at <5%) and fthrow fair/upsmash/bair bair (again, at <5%) and I've begun to change the way I think about Diddy and combos in general (sometimes stage positioning is a lot more important than damage).

The reason ZeRo goes for bair bair after an upthrow is because well firstly it does heaps of damage, and secondly it gives you good stage control and doesn't leave you helpless for awhile after the combo. You don't necessarily have to turn around to do the combo either, turning around is done when you either read your opponent DIing inwards or your opponent's back is to the ledge and you want to push them off and keep stage control while maximising your damage output (your other options to get them offstage are like uthrow fair or just a fthrow on it's own, uthrow turnaround bair x2 does way more damage). The combo works best around 30% depending on opponent's weight and DI etc.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I've updated the rough pastebin guide, here's the new version featuring new combos and two new sections: general tips and a really brief introduction to ledge trapping. http://pastebin.com/K2Rh9mT9

I also loved watching cyve (German Diddy, top 10 Diddy in the world) at PPT, he took Larry Lurr to game 5 twice. I especially loved how patient he was. He can definitely refine his game, particularly his low percent combos, and he still made a few panic decisions that got him punished (but that's to be expected against a top 10 player in the world) but he was a joy to watch. Even ZeRo could definitely learn from cyve, I think ZeRo commits to "non-committal" options like dash to shield and the ever so "safe" short hop autocancel fair but cyve wasn't afraid to just walk or do nothing. I posted more about this on twitter: https://twitter.com/Pazx13/status/817946341544337408 (thread).

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
What is the best way to play MONKEY?

What is the best way to use banana?

When do I use banana?

What is the optimal way to recover?

How do I do dtilt fsmash properly and who does it work on?

What are the main combos out of his grabs?

What is the best way to fight characters that fair goes over their heads?

What are some good kill confirms?

Sonicninja115

What is the best way to play MONKEY?

What is the best way to use banana?

When do I use banana?

What is the optimal way to recover?

How do I do dtilt fsmash properly and who does it work on?

What are the main combos out of his grabs?

What is the best way to fight characters that fair goes over their heads?

What are some good kill confirms?
If you want the answers to these questions, I would watch ZeRo. He has the tools and the knowledge. There are multiple ways to study how people play a character. I prefer playing their videos on half speed with the audio off, but full speed with audio works as well.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
If you want the answers to these questions, I would watch ZeRo. He has the tools and the knowledge. There are multiple ways to study how people play a character. I prefer playing their videos on half speed with the audio off, but full speed with audio works as well.
Actual answers would be better than watching a man play the monkey. His skill level is much higher than mine is

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
A banana in hand is a monkey they want banned.

Bananas to punish approaches and ledge trap.

Don't auto pilot Monkey Flips from offstage, "be wary on recovering high", trust your barrel control, but not your barrel charge.

Up throw is the closest you'll get any combo out of, down throw if you're feeling cheeky.

Small characters? I'd assume to get your down tilt on. Add roll-to-dtilt sparingly.

I still have PAZX's v2 mini-guide on favorites.
http://pastebin.com/K2Rh9mT9

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
A banana in hand is a monkey they want banned.

Bananas to punish approaches and ledge trap.

Don't auto pilot Monkey Flips from offstage, "be wary on recovering high", trust your barrel control, but not your barrel charge.

Up throw is the closest you'll get any combo out of, down throw if you're feeling cheeky.

Small characters? I'd assume to get your down tilt on. Add roll-to-dtilt sparingly.

I still have PAZX's v2 mini-guide on favorites.
http://pastebin.com/K2Rh9mT9
Well then, that guide actually helped me. I didn't know that fthrow can combo.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I've lost my edge with this character, actually I lost my way of playing him all together..
So
What is the best way to play this character?
What are my best punish options without Banana?
When is the best time to use Monkey Flip?
What do I do after I get Banana in my hold, what are my options?
What is(are) the best option(s) after I trip my opponent from far away?
When is the best time to SH Fair?
How do I properly space Fair?
Is fastfalling fair necessary?
What is the best way to fight the following characters...
Cloud
Rosalina
Pikachu
Marth

Last edited:

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
Right now, I'm in the process of learning new characters that I can take to tournaments in case my current main(s) doesnt hold up well against whoever I'm pitted up with. As of now, I am training intensively on training mode, friendlies, and For Glory with :4diddy:. I feel like I have a fluid understanding of his moveset and some of his more basic to intermediate strategies. Another reason I picked him is because I heard he has a large variety of good matchups but there lies my question.

Does anyone know who :4diddy: struggles against? I heard he can struggle against characters around the same spot as him on the official tier list (:4bayonetta:, :4cloud:, and :4sheik:) but what is your guy's thoughts?

Sonicninja115

Right now, I'm in the process of learning new characters that I can take to tournaments in case my current main(s) doesnt hold up well against whoever I'm pitted up with. As of now, I am training intensively on training mode, friendlies, and For Glory with :4diddy:. I feel like I have a fluid understanding of his moveset and some of his more basic to intermediate strategies. Another reason I picked him is because I heard he has a large variety of good matchups but there lies my question.

Does anyone know who :4diddy: struggles against? I heard he can struggle against characters around the same spot as him on the official tier list (:4bayonetta:, :4cloud:, and :4sheik:) but what is your guy's thoughts?
Diddy kong is an interesting character. He is widely considered to be top 3 currently, for a variety of reasons. As far as I know, he currently has an even/winning MU with bayonetta. His true kill confirms and fast options to get them can be annoying apparently. Plus, banana is good in that MU.

Otherwise, Cloud and Shiek are more of a gray area.

Diddy kong is also known to have some trouble vs. Marth (not a lot) and Megaman. Otherwise, everything is basically even or better.

Sonicninja115

I thought Diddy was one of Marth's worst MU's alongside Sonic?
MU's are weird. Marth's have been causing high level diddy kong players a lot of trouble, ever since the beginning of the game really. However, it may have evened out recently.

Top Bottom