• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Diddy's Q&A + Competitive Development - ASK QUESTIONS HERE

NextPain

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nextpain
Have you checked out the AT thread? also, me and jayyyyylow give some tips in the social thread if you want to look at those.

The gist of it is that it has the same timing as a regular b-reverse, however, because of the awkward finger movements it is harder then a regular b-reverse. I hope this helps!
Thanks mate can you link me to some of the threads

Last edited:

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
Hey, ZSS main here picking up Diddy and he's super fun!

I've been having trouble with the D-tilt -> RAR Bair combo and I think thats pretty important. I've practiced with and without doing the D-tilt beforehand and I can never get the shorthop RAR Bair to come out like I want it to. I usually full hop or my momentum goes backwards. I can get RAR Bairs fine with ZSS while I'm running but I think RAR in place is much more difficult. How are you guys doing it? I have R set to jump for JCGT.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Hey, ZSS main here picking up Diddy and he's super fun!

I've been having trouble with the D-tilt -> RAR Bair combo and I think thats pretty important. I've practiced with and without doing the D-tilt beforehand and I can never get the shorthop RAR Bair to come out like I want it to. I usually full hop or my momentum goes backwards. I can get RAR Bairs fine with ZSS while I'm running but I think RAR in place is much more difficult. How are you guys doing it? I have R set to jump for JCGT.
I usually disregard this combo just because I can't get it right every time, so I don't have much input on that. However, don't you have to run forward first? Also, the use of RAR Bair is somewhat meh, unless you are at the edge. in which it is a good kill option after 105% I think. The other option is to go for a Dtilt-Fair, which doesn't kill but does more damage. Also, you can Dtilt-Usmash at about 110%-135% and that will kill.

Consensus-

Dtilt-RAR Bair- Kill option at the edge of the stage

Dtilt-Fair- Damage, will find percents for the combo list in the combo thread.

Dtilt-Usmash- Kill option everywhere except the ledge.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Is the damage and KB from exploding the upb barrels into the ground the same as when they explode on someone after being hit off Diddy's back?

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Dtilt was nerfed? ("more laggy")
As far as the patch notes go it seems that the only thing changed was the damage 5.5%-5% which makes Dtilt-Usmash worse, it only works in a 20% window instead of a 40% window.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
As far as the patch notes go it seems that the only thing changed was the damage 5.5%-5% which makes Dtilt-Usmash worse, it only works in a 20% window instead of a 40% window.
wait what? dtilt > usmash only has a 20% window where it can work? I'm pretty sure I do it at pretty much all non-ridiculous kill percents (like maybe until 130-140% against Robin)

Sonicninja115

wait what? dtilt > usmash only has a 20% window where it can work? I'm pretty sure I do it at pretty much all non-ridiculous kill percents (like maybe until 130-140% against Robin)
Kill percent and true combo window, also, Robin may be heavier making it work at higher percents

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
I'm thinking of picking up Diddy, but I have no idea how the character is supposed to function outside of Dtilt usmash, uthrow uair/dthrow dair and banana being good. What should I be reading? Thanks!

Sonicninja115

I'm thinking of picking up Diddy, but I have no idea how the character is supposed to function outside of Dtilt usmash, uthrow uair/dthrow dair and banana being good. What should I be reading? Thanks!
Do you mean combo wise? what is your meaning of function? I will just go with a generic strategy.

Bananas can be used in many ways, it is good to almost always have one out. If you aren't holding it, you can leave it on the stage to gain control over that part of the stage.

Grabs are great, you can combo at almost any percent with a grab. Look through the combo thread for a list of combos as well as a discussion on how to do the New-Haa combo.

Approach with Fair, pivot grabs, grabs. He really doesn't have that much trouble approaching

This is just my 10 cents but make sure to look around the boards some to find out more!

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Every time I try to grab the banana, I always do nair instead of just grabbing it. Am I trying to grab it too early or something? Or is there a better way to do it?

Sonicninja115

Every time I try to grab the banana, I always do nair instead of just grabbing it. Am I trying to grab it too early or something? Or is there a better way to do it?
Are you using the A button or the Z button? The A/R button will always result in an animation. While the Z button will only do an airdodge animation if your timing is a bit off. You can also look in the oft avoided AT compilation thread.

Last edited:

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Are you using the A button or the Z button? The A/R button will always result in an animation. While the Z button will only do an airdodge animation if your timing is a bit off. You can also look in the oft avoided AT compilation thread.
I'll have to try it with Z. Thanks :)

Sonicninja115

How does ZeRo and many other diddy's do that reverse zig zag movement in the air? Like shown here https://youtu.be/7DNyzm16QLU?t=75
Check out the AT compilation thread, as it has many AT and a description on this one. This one is monkey flip-B-reverse Peanut Popgun/Banana. You have to monkey flip and then when the kick window is over, B momentum reverse PP or banana. You can also hold shield during the MF to cancel the PP.

busken

Smash Ace
It is possible to wavebounce a banana peel so it comes out in front of you while you're facing front?

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
I think a wavebounce is too quick and by the time you have your banana out you'd be facing the original way again. I can't test right now, but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
Is there any beginning guide somebody can point me to post nerfs? All of the ones I find on YouTube are about hoo hah shenanigans

Lylo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chompypy
3DS FC
0490-8557-3079
Is there any use of our Dash Attack? lol
Personally I never use it and never saw someone use it at high level play.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Is there any use of our Dash Attack? lol
Personally I never use it and never saw someone use it at high level play.
Sometimes it's the best punish you can get so why not?

Lylo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chompypy
3DS FC
0490-8557-3079
Well I was just wondering cause I never see anyone use it.

Snailtopus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JoeySnail
Since the recent update, I have been unable to cancel Diddy's popgun when doing a momentum shift out of Monkey Flip. Now, the popgun always goes off, rather than disappearing after the shift. Has this tech been removed?

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
Im really struggling with the Mario/Doc match up
What are some of Mario's exploitable weaknesses or things I could do to make the MU easier?

LieSander

Smash Rookie
While dash attack IS one of diddy's ground-to-air conversion tools, it's quite laggy and easy to punish, and given his mobility he can opt for other moves that achieve the same result without being punished as hard or that have a smaller window to punish (falling nair, a dash grab, maybe up air?).

This isn't to discredit it though, it still has its uses and the fact that you can combo out of it makes it pretty rewarding to land already.

Last edited:

sammy_flowrez

Smash Rookie
NNID
TreebornAF
Im really struggling with the Mario/Doc match up
What are some of Mario's exploitable weaknesses or things I could do to make the MU easier?
Abuse their predictable recovery, Dr. Mario is a lot easier to gimp, but when you get mario off stage Z Drop bananas or shoot peanuts. Our DTilt reaches furthere than there. Bananas is your best friend.

Lylo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chompypy
3DS FC
0490-8557-3079
Does Diddy have any gtfo (combo breaker) move?

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
Abuse their predictable recovery, Dr. Mario is a lot easier to gimp, but when you get mario off stage Z Drop bananas or shoot peanuts. Our DTilt reaches furthere than there. Bananas is your best friend.
His up B goes through and beats out the banana :/
I try to cover his recvery with downtilt but I just get hit through the stage by his up B
(not to mention hes invincible for most of it)

Last edited:

Jaylowww

Smash Cadet
NNID
thatdudejono
3DS FC
5086-1719-4466
Does Diddy have any gtfo (combo breaker) move?
I use Uair most of the time for combo breakers, since it's still his fastest aerial (hitbox comes out at frame 4). With the hitbox nerf though, it only connects at specific angles so it's dependent on your opponent's follow-ups.

Andaya

Smash Cadet
NNID
Andaya505
3DS FC
3909-8269-9964
What are Diddy's main weaknesses? I just can't get in D:

Spatman

Smash Ace
What are Diddy's main weaknesses? I just can't get in D:
for me: his up-B is really little reliable, and in some cases it's almost completely useless. So diddy's offstage play is risky. Then, the fact that diddy stands a lot on his banana is a double edged weapon: when you are against a character like Villager or Rosalina, things become really hard. Moreover, he has some difficulties to kill. If you don't succeed to do banana throw --> fsmash/upsmash, it can be really hard to kill untile insanely high percentages (and this also because of the difficulties offstage I said earlier)

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
How do I consistently gimp Diddy when recovering, especially when he uses the jetpack and recovering high? My edgeguarding in general is pretty weak, but while I'm always told Diddy's recovery sucks I can rarely seem to stop him from coming back onstage. My best bet is usually just hitting him out of SideB with Mega Man's Bair (I also play a lot of Greninja and a little bit of Pit & Rosalina on the side sometimes, and I can't gimp him much with any of them), if I can even catch up to him and hit him at all that is. Some Diddy's charge the jetpack and fly right over my head and I dunno what to do about it.

On a side note, do you also have any advice for what to do when he makes a Banana? The banana is the most annoying thing about fighting him imo, shielding doesn't seem to be too safe on option when he can command grab, and somehow I almost always end up eating a Banana > Fsmash combo and get killed. I've tried grabbing his banana and using it against him, but it's only been effective for me sometimes.

Jaylowww

Smash Cadet
NNID
thatdudejono
3DS FC
5086-1719-4466
You can snipe him with Metal Blade if he tries using Up B in a bad position. If he goes high and prematurely uses Up B, it's a relatively easy snipe, but if he goes low, you can try for the Z drop on the ledge.

If he has a banana, shield is still your best option against him. If he's holding one and he's in front of you, just hold shield and read and/or react to the follow-up accordingly. If he throws the banana at your shield, your best follow up options are to either SH aerial OoS or roll towards him.

Top Bottom