• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Diddy's Q&A + Competitive Development - ASK QUESTIONS HERE

NintendoLabz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Labzy01
3DS FC
0705-4071-0070
If you guys mean switching your momentum in midair with a banana pluck, all you do is, after you are able to input an attack without doing a flip kick, do a b reverse down b. To do this, simply press down b and immediately tap the other direction. Many of you are having the problem where you do a turnaround pluck, not b reverse.

Legit

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1075-1516-8692
I feel like Villager is our worst MU now. The threat of pocket means you need to be EXTREMELY careful with your banana, and if he does manage to pocket it (which isn't very difficult) the matchup feels like its 20:80. Villager just takes complete control of the game at that point. He has a broken camp game, great offstage and gimp potential, and turnips have ******** air priority. I can't approach, kill, or even land a hit without my naner ffs. You don't realize how much Diddy relies on the banana until it's gone. :( How do you guys deal Villager? I'm wondering if switching characters is the best option.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
When I fight Villager, typically I camp a lot with peanuts and use his side special kick and forward air to deal with projectiles. Once Villager pockets the banana, the matchup becomes incredibly unfun. I don't understand why the two best campy characters in the game (Villager and Rosalina) both have moves that completely invalid projectiles. Fighting campy characters in this game with camp should be fun, but it's not with those two matchups because of Villager's pocket and Rosalina's down special. Absolutely hate both of those moves and those moves will probably never get hard nerfs.

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
Do you guys think the banana is a viable stage control option? From experience, how do you they feel when you lay a banana in about their dash attack range? I was thinking of learning wavebounce banana pluck so I can quickly apply stage control with banana and harass them with peanuts. They can just roll past the banana though or jump. I don't see many Diddy's do it.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
When should down throw be used over up throw in 1.0.8? At least 70% of the time I used down throw tonight, I failed my followups. :| ****ing patch.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
At lower percentages dthrow is better bc more damage and more followup potential (but I mix them up anyway), once you reach the percentage where it doesn't work start going for uthrow fair/bair. This has the added benefit of staling uthrow. Also if you get a grab with your back facing the ledge your opponent will likely DI in so dthrow should connect in that situation as well.

Jaylowww

Smash Cadet
NNID
thatdudejono
3DS FC
5086-1719-4466
I use dthrow up until ~30-40%, then I switch to uthrow. Follow up with dthrow is usually bair, if they have bad DI you can usually string together two bairs (fair does more damage, but bair has better follow-ups). Sometimes they can DI out of dthrow early, so I opt for uthrow at ~20%.

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
This is probably a question all of you have answered or seen before, so sorry before I ask.

Is diddy still viable, yes or no?

Orocket

Smash Cadet
This is probably a question all of you have answered or seen before, so sorry before I ask.

Is diddy still viable, yes or no?
Yeah I definitely think so. At least top 15 in the game, a lot of people will put him higher.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Even though he has lost a lot of set ups and combos he still has his banana, and now that he got his nerf, people are finally getting more creative and using more of his plethora of AT's. Plus, his f and d smash have pretty good power. Sadly, it seems that no one is playing him anymore...

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
So, what about that dthrow > side b > uair/fair combo?

I believe it's strictly dependent on DI but idk, seems a bit more inconsistent than that, which is sad because it's so good.

Sonicninja115

I believe the only way to get out would be to DI up, and even then you can most likely adapt to that...

Sonicninja115

Is this only on Mario? anyone try it on other characters?

Also, do we know the range in which this for sure works?

Seems too good to be true, but I do feel all tingly inside...
It works on other characters, but it needs to be tested more, check the Diddy kong combo thread where @ Orocket Orocket and I put some of our findings. I know it works from about 8-15 at least, not sure higher...

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Do you guys think the banana is a viable stage control option? From experience, how do you they feel when you lay a banana in about their dash attack range? I was thinking of learning wavebounce banana pluck so I can quickly apply stage control with banana and harass them with peanuts. They can just roll past the banana though or jump. I don't see many Diddy's do it.
Sorry for the double post but I'm still pretty new to smashboards.

IMO, yes. It is a great way to apply pressure and force them to either jump over it or pick it up. Allowing you to predict there movements with greater accuracy. It is also good for mind games, because the opponent has to always be aware of the banana. Anyways, that's just my two cents...

Orocket

Smash Cadet
Sorry for the double post but I'm still pretty new to smashboards.

IMO, yes. It is a great way to apply pressure and force them to either jump over it or pick it up. Allowing you to predict there movements with greater accuracy. It is also good for mind games, because the opponent has to always be aware of the banana. Anyways, that's just my two cents...
To add, be careful what character you're playing against when you pull out a banana. Some characters are fast enough to run up and hit you when you pull out banana close to them. The best way to do what you've described, at least in my experience, is after hitting your opponent away (with like fair or bair for example).

But I actually leave the banana laying around sometimes. For some reason when people play against Diddy they think that we MUST have the banana. You can sometimes just straight up catch people offguard by running past the banana and grabbing them or fairing them. Also if you pull the banana out sometimes you can jump and fair them because a lot of people expect you to grab the banana. You dont always have to place priority on getting the banana when you pull it out, sometimes you can throw people off by ignoring the banana and approaching. @ Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 @ busken busken

:4diddy:

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

What are the uses for LC Monkey Flip and what follow-ups are best from Ledge-Guarding with peanuts?

I know for Monkey flip, you could follow it with another monkey flip or slip edge into dair/bair, but other then that I don't know how useful that tech is.

And for Popgun edge-guarding, the only realistic follow-up would be an aerial or Usmash, right?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
So I picked up Diddy competitively about a week ago (having used him as a secondary in Brawl), and I've made a lot of progress so far. Unfortunately, I've developed quite the habit.

One thing that I've started doing in the last few days was getting kills from grounded UpB reads, as well as a few On-stage barrel explosions. Oh, and UpB Stage spikes! With the fact that our UpB has better knockback than the second hit of our DSmash, coupled with the awesome angle is sends at, I have developed quite an addiction to fishing for UpB kills.

Am I irredeemable, or am I next level? Help.

Sonicninja115

So I picked up Diddy competitively about a week ago (having used him as a secondary in Brawl), and I've made a lot of progress so far. Unfortunately, I've developed quite the habit.

One thing that I've started doing in the last few days was getting kills from grounded UpB reads, as well as a few On-stage barrel explosions. Oh, and UpB Stage spikes! With the fact that our UpB has better knockback than the second hit of our DSmash, coupled with the awesome angle is sends at, I have developed quite an addiction to fishing for UpB kills.

Am I irredeemable, or am I next level? Help.
As rockets are quite punishable, I would say that it is a bad habit, however, rockets are still quite good for their combo and occasional kills. But doesn't dsmash have more kill potential? It's KB angle sends them out and down so It should be your first choice, it also has less lag...

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
As rockets are quite punishable, I would say that it is a bad habit, however, rockets are still quite good for their combo and occasional kills. But doesn't dsmash have more kill potential? It's KB angle sends them out and down so It should be your first choice, it also has less lag...
I fooled myself with the frame data listing that UpB has better knockback growth, but I forgot to calculate that Dsmash does more damage (making it have more knockback total). That said, UpB kills better than Fair, and the barrel explosion kills even earlier. I got a sweet stagespike kill with it today on a CF by running off and immediately UpBing hnnng

I was getting a lot of kills with it lately, but I'll dial it back SOMEWHAT IT'S SO STYLISH I'M ADDICTED.

Jaylowww

Smash Cadet
NNID
thatdudejono
3DS FC
5086-1719-4466
It's a very cheesy option that I use for that occasional lolwut mixups, works alright against light characters and those with easily gimpable recoveries :shyguy:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Can Diddy still use C-Stick Aerials and tilts when he's holding a banana, or was that completely removed?

Sonicninja115

Can Diddy still use C-Stick Aerials and tilts when he's holding a banana, or was that completely removed?
Sadly, no. It will instead throw the banana, however, you can use the C-stick to send the banana in the opposite direction you are facing. If you really need aerials while holding the banana you can resort to Z-drop Catch which is a tech outlined in the AT thread.

Equin0x

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Th3Equin0x
3DS FC
0189-9475-0972
I'm looking for Diddy's item throw frame data, like for his bananas. I couldn't find it on Kurogane Hammer, and it's some knowledge I'd like to have for the MU. Sorry if it's somewhere obvious and I missed it. :p

Sonicninja115

I'm looking for Diddy's item throw frame data, like for his bananas. I couldn't find it on Kurogane Hammer, and it's some knowledge I'd like to have for the MU. Sorry if it's somewhere obvious and I missed it. :p
I looked around and couldn't find any item toss frame data anywhere, not even for peach. You might want to try messaging Kurogane Hammer and seeing if they know or could find out.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
If throwing an item is standardised across the cast (no clue if that's the case) then I think the hitbox is generated on frame 5-6. I could be wildly wrong, though.

Equin0x

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Th3Equin0x
3DS FC
0189-9475-0972
If throwing an item is standardised across the cast (no clue if that's the case) then I think the hitbox is generated on frame 5-6. I could be wildly wrong, though.
Well item throwing frames vary both between variations of throws and characters, as Peach's standing item throw is frame 8 and DK's is frame 10, so I'm afraid not.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Well item throwing frames vary both between variations of throws and characters, as Peach's standing item throw is frame 8 and DK's is frame 10, so I'm afraid not.
Also, you have heard that when you throw the banana right next to somebody it goes through them, right? Does that have something to do with frames, or is that just Diddy's arm going through the opponent?

Sonicninja115

Have you checked out the AT thread? also, me and jayyyyylow give some tips in the social thread if you want to look at those.

The gist of it is that it has the same timing as a regular b-reverse, however, because of the awkward finger movements it is harder then a regular b-reverse. I hope this helps!
When I try to do a Side b Banana reverse thing my momentum doesn't shift as good as this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0PjBEfMbxQ (11:35) is it more complicated than I think?

Top Bottom