• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Racing (That's right, I went there)

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Anyone else remember this one? Always got overshadowed by Mario Kart, but this one was always one of my favorites for the N64, at least playing with other people.

I have the DS version and all, but the N64 version just felt so much better. Not sure :/

Anyone else a fan of this one? =)

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
:flame:
God, this is nostalgic. I HATE the Octopus because he has to be fought with a frigging Hovercraft in WATER (The Walrus wasn't that bad, though). Wizpig on the end, I thought you just take the straightest path with Diddy and you do fine.

But yes, this game is frigging amazing. This was indeed a classic.

Edit:Conker, in a kid's game? Oh my Gosh....

SMASHBOARDS SHOULD VOTE ON THE BEST CLASSIC VIDEO GAME EVER!

Scott!

Smash Lord
The 64 one was a classic. Banjo, as always, was the man. The courses were awesome, battle mode was fun, and the bosses were pretty tough. I don't remember if I ever beat Wizpig even the first time. It was fun though. I prefer Mario Kart, but only slightly.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Diddy Kong Racing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mario Kart 64. In fact, I don't even think there's a discussion. DKR was just so jammed packed of features. It did everything MK64 did, and much, much more.

XACE-K

Smash Master
DKR was a great game. The DS version was s*** while the 64 version was a classic. Banjo and Conker being in it made it better. Too bad Rare left Nintendo. :(

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I feel like an Idiot, but I never played the DS one.. besides their being a touch screen, how different is it from the Real Version?

Also, I heard you could use TT. Is this true? I was never fast enough to break Time Trial Records, so I wouldn't know.

Alzi

Smash Master
Yes you can use him and he is the best in the game.

The DS version is ok i guess although the way you have to start off it just doesn't work properly.

I enjoyed the n64 version though. Maybe because i was young back then and always wanted the game but never was able to get it.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
My brother and I would always fight over the small mouse character. What was her name? Trixi? She was really good for some reason, and whoever ended up winning with her was subject to mass character johns.

I could never settle on a character though. I hated everyone ("Where's Mario?"), but I tried to attach myself to Conker. I was later horrified to learn he was the star of a crazy "adult" game. :p

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
The DS version is alright...I mean, it has the basic feel of the N64 and who knows, you might not notice a difference. But without Banjo/Conker, the easy boosts at the start with the touch pad/mic and every character has a high pitched voice, it just isn't the same for me.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
DKR for DS is crap for the same reason Mario 64 for the DS is crap...N64 ports to the DS just don't work. The controls are garbagio.

POKE40

Smash Lord
I <3 Diddy Kong Racing (64)

T.T.
broken driver! Pain to get...
He was the Meta Knight of Diddy Kong Racing XD

Wizpig was a PAIN also...
But with T.T, Wizpig was a joke.
Of course that was just the first race.

The second one I hated cause you were in an airplane. He was on a freaking rocket.
The bosses were awesome also :D

Oh and the in-built cheat system.
That was awesome :D

I could play the game right now!

I don't have the DS version...

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
Saying it's better than Mario Kart 64 is a bold statement. Maybe too bold. Regardless, Diddy Kong Racing was one of my favorite N64 games. The gameplay was amazingly addictive, and you don't find catchy music like that in games today.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Saying it's better than Mario Kart 64 is a bold statement. Maybe too bold. Regardless, Diddy Kong Racing was one of my favorite N64 games. The gameplay was amazingly addictive, and you don't find catchy music like that in games today.
The music was so good. I'm a mad fan of the Snow/Space level music.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
The cheat codes in Diddy Kong Racing MADE the replay value of this game. So fun.

The best driver in the game is T.T.

His top speed is so high for his high traction, handling, weight, and acceleration.

The 2nd and 3rd best are Tiptup(the green turtle) and Pipsy( that yellow mouse), respectively.

Conker is in this game, but this was before he went out drinking.

Icicle Pyramid + FREEFORALL(maximum power up) FTW!

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I didn't even know Conker was in Conkers Bad Fur Day when I first saw him O.o I just thought that all the characters were random people put in except Diddy of course. It was still a fun game though. I had a lot of memories with it. It was hard though O.o I spent hours trying to beat that game as a kid.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I thought Conker's Bad Fur Day came out AFTER Diddy Kong Racing. And Conker, Banjo, Diddy, Krush, and Tiptup have also existed in other games. So half of the cast isn't completely random. Just saying. :p

Did you know there was going to be a Donkey Kong Racing? Too bad the Master Chief convinced his Superiors at Microsoft to take the Rare Company away from Mario, in this never ending battle for supremacy over the Video Game World.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Cheat codes opened up dogfighting lulz.

I spent 1/3rd of Diddy Kong racing just shooting people with every balloon is a rocket.

The coins were a pain in the ***. You needed to get perfect runs to make it through.

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
Everyone saying Banjo was that good kinda surprises me...don't you guys check the tier lists? lawl

DS version blowed for a few reasons but was total garbage for ONE reason. When Taj would give you a balloon on N64 and would say "DISSS IS FUR YEW" it was like so awesome. But on the DS it sounded more like an automated voice system :/

Tiptup was freaking awesome also, especially when you select him, his voice is awesome <3

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
I'm pretty sure Banjo and Conker were put in DKR to advertise for their games...kind of like Marth+Roy in Melee?

Could be wrong, just a guess :)

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
Hello Friend! Select Your Vehicule! Abracadabra! Can I Help You Further? Bye Bye For Now!

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Best Game Ever
well one of them, it's up there anyway lol. up there in like the top 50 or 100 I mean, but yeah it was good, if relatively so

Top Bottom