• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

**Diddy Kong [Old] General Match-Ups**

DUB

Smash Lord
I've played a good Wario a few times. It's a lot of spacing. The double jump weaving shouldn't cause problems, hes got too come down eventually, granted he might just shield if you miss timing. Wario can't do to much with the naners and has a bad dash attack to get them.

GT OoS will screw you over if you don't mix it up. Against a good Wario who knows what your doing he'll come in with a bite and take you while your shielding. He's terrific off the stage with the annoying little fair.

I don't really know what stages are good and bad for Wario. He's got kill moves that are good horizontal and quick low lag vertical kill. On a gimping level, he's about average.

His F-smash is kind of predictable when it will be used so get him after it. He's got a gnarly spot dodge so you gotta be quick.

Diddy's got the grab-release dair off the end of the stage someone here came up with. It's patience really. An annoying match but just dribble while he's floating to and away from you to make him change movement and follow him.

55-45 Wario.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Yea it's definitely in Wario's favor. Considering he can change the momentum of the battle easily and not relinquish it. It is hard for diddy to come back when wario has you in the air. You have to camp really hard and have good spacing with your peanuts to start capitalizing on Wario's mistakes. And don't forget, the Fsmash might be predictable, but it has SA frames, and the wario could use it when diddy is above him.

fox219

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I would say its 30-70 in snakes favor.

For one thing, Diddy Kong has horrible killing potential and Snake can live up to 160% on average. Where Snake can kill Diddy at 100%. Snakes tilts are soo disguting that you cant even get away from. Even If you did try to throw the banana peel at him, he would just catch them and use them against you or shield them. The grenades can ruin any players game since Diddy likes to be on the ground alot all because of the glide tossing. Be careful not to be in the air too much because other wise, Diddy just gets comboed left and right.

Honestly I dont know the answer as to how to beat a Snake player, just keep on glide tossing and maybe try shooting out Peanut Guns for disruption.
true. Diddy's u-smash sucks!

ADHD

Smash Hero
naner lock > grab > dair spike at the edge. Beastly!!!! So I think it's either 40-60 in wario's favor to 45-55. It's not that bad at all, you just have to keep playing the matchup and it gets easier. I don't remember talking about wario that much, but his trip is beautiful to punish XD It's the perfect length. Your aerials can compete with his, and that's his strong suit. The main reason why he does well against diddy is he just can space superbly in the air and give diddy a hard time with retreating attacks; also diddy cannot kill wario until 140ish each stock which is a pain unless it's an undecayed dsmash at the edge of a stage perhaps.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I played a good Wario today, and I have to say that you CP YI against Wario, you have more space to GR > dair him. The lips at the edges of the stage give you the ability to grab him from a farther distance since they're slanted and you can still GR him there.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
i noticed that alot of warios move in the air in the shape of a hourglass or sometimes an oval.
and
argh whats the best way to gimp wario? can u sideb him while he has his bike? o-o i could never time that right cuz of the angle some warios place their bikes in the air.

Dark Ryu

Smash Ace
Here's what I know about the matchup, first and foremost remember Wario can be grab released to a dair which could be used for a quick gimp kill. Also as Chrome stated, his trip length is perfect to punish which I prefer to go to a GR for an easy 15% dmg. Try to keep using peanuts for spacing for some easy extra dmg. Something to remember is that wario's fsmash also has a hitbox behind him so be aware that you could be killed by it if you're close enough to him. Another thing to remember is that Wario's up-B doesn't auto grab the ledge making it easy to edgehog if for some circumstance he doesn't have his bike. Last thing I want to say is that Wario's fart has more killing potential before its fully charged so a good wario would go for it a little earlier.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
hehe i kno the match very well. I have a vid but only special ppl can watch it lmao.

Peanuts dont work. Just saying.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Move this discussion to ike? Ike is a matchup i feel slightly in diddy's favor but Ike can be a pain

DFEAR

Smash Hero
just be cautious of ike's air cancels into jab combos. and beware the neutral B as it has stage spike/killing potential plus has invincibility frames.

oh and note to block the air cancel attacks such as shnair into jab cancel combo just shield grab after the first initial attack of the shnair. A clear example of this can be seen in some of kurks matches (hes a pretty damm fine ike tho nonetheless o.o).

dont attempt to verticaly gimp ike as it usually results in a highly possible failure suicide/kamikazi xD. but hell if u know hes gonna sideb, either take the hit and/or spike that **** ^.^.

when recovering as diddy watch out for when ur close to the edge...expect a dtilt spike o-o

another thing to add is that ike's ftilt may be slow but thats what makes it so ****ing unpredictible to block. you can kinda say it goes through spotdodge in a sense where you see ike perform the ftilt u spotdodge then ur spotdodge ends and then finally ikes sword hits u...ugh sometimes very homo just shield more than u spotdodge cauze u wouldnt want ur friends to face palm when u get a fully charged fsmash in ur face >_<.
basically time all of ikes moves and block and punish when appropriate.

in my mind 55-45 diddy...mindgames+spacing+cowbell ftw.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
For the people talking about Wario picking up bananas with dash attacks, that's not my preferred way of doing it. Our nairs are much more effective at that, and they have the added advantage of either spacing you guys, or weak-hitting into a combo.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
....I could have swore we did this match-up on the Ike end of the boards like, a week ago. O_o

I believe we were talking 55-45 Diddy's A to 5-5 range.....I'll dig through it again.

Unless of course, I'm wrong on the character. *shrugs*

No, really good ikes are hard to handle. In my opinion diddy has the advantage against ike, but it's even and very slight. 55-45 in diddy's favor. You CANT make mistakes or else you really get punished and it's hard to regain momentum against ike. Diddy should just be campy, since ike can't really do anything else but approach. If he just powershields the peanut camping, what has diddy got to lose? Just bait ike to make a mistake and then punish him. If you let ike get into your camping fortress it's hard to get control. How lots of ike's space fairs, it's unimportant to diddy he can just space away from it. The worst thing for a diddy player is to have ike getting his spacing game into action (mid ranged of course)
Thats from Chromepirate's input.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
The general results were mostly 55-45 Diddy's advantage during the week we discussed this match in the Ike forums.

There's only one thing that's changed, and it's pretty major, actually.

Ike normally can't glide toss forward and his backwards one is pretty terribly. With DACIT (Dash Attack Cancel Item Toss) he gains the ability to slide across 3/4 of Final Destination while throwing an item, essentially a massive glide toss.

It's a very recent discovery, so we didn't discuss it in the Ike topic.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
The general results were mostly 55-45 Diddy's advantage during the week we discussed this match in the Ike forums.

There's only one thing that's changed, and it's pretty major, actually.

Ike normally can't glide toss forward and his backwards one is pretty terribly. With DACIT (Dash Attack Cancel Item Toss) he gains the ability to slide across 3/4 of Final Destination while throwing an item, essentially a massive glide toss.

It's a very recent discovery, so we didn't discuss it in the Ike topic.
would love to see a vid cuz glide tossing can change matches xD (mk/dk) >_<

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
LOL, I saw the Wolf Boards creaming their pants over Wolf's banana peel DACIT into D-smash a couple of weeks ago, and then JJ lost to Nanerz in a MM. *shrug* It's great for spacing and pressure, but not as versatile as you think.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
LOL, I saw the Wolf Boards creaming their pants over Wolf's banana peel DACIT into D-smash a couple of weeks ago, and then JJ lost to Nanerz in a MM. *shrug* It's great for spacing and pressure, but not as versatile as you think.
agreed. but hell they have a glide toss now >_< as long as its predictable i wouldnt care yet :\

white peachy

Smash Ace
I guess I just have a lot of experience with this matchup but I don't it's very difficult for diddy. If necessary, diddy can camp Ike easily and pressure him into approach, at which time he becomes predictable. Trying to gimp a good Ike can be dangerous, so I would say play more on the safe side because diddy should control the majority of the match. His glide toss, or variation of the glide toss, doesn't seem to have great follow ups from what I've seen. This could be a matchup that is very stage dependent but IMO Diddy's advantage 60-40.

CrAzYdRuNk

Smash Cadet
I guess I just have a lot of experience with this matchup but I don't it's very difficult for diddy. If necessary, diddy can camp Ike easily and pressure him into approach, at which time he becomes predictable. Trying to gimp a good Ike can be dangerous, so I would say play more on the safe side because diddy should control the majority of the match. His glide toss, or variation of the glide toss, doesn't seem to have great follow ups from what I've seen. This could be a matchup that is very stage dependent but IMO Diddy's advantage 60-40.
Thing is, that if he picks a stage that eliminates Diddy's banana game, (like Norfair, or something) his range nails Diddy to the wall. On a neutral stage , Diddy just kills Ike. But on a counterpick that eliminates banana play, Ike wins. Or at least thats my experiance.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
DACIT -> Jab -> Pivot grab while still sliding is still nice though. >_> Seriously. The only other moves I can see an Ike using out of DACIT are Eruption due to SAFs, Counter because it looks cool (lulz) or Usmash. It defiantly helps, but I don't think anyone on the Ike boards has attempted to use it much yet......

Top Bottom