• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

**Diddy Kong [Old] General Match-Ups**

MrEh

Smash Hero
Just popping in from the Bowser boards to give some input. The Bowser vs Diddy matchup is bananas. Literally.

Here's what you should be happy about.
- Bananas are an effective tool in this matchup, so abuse them. Bowser's ground superiority doesn't fare all that well against Bananas. If you can control Bowser's ground game with your bananas, you win. Thankfully, Bowser has no reliable way to pick up Bananas quickly, so it makes things that much easier. Because of all this, Bowser will be at a disadvantage on any flat stage like Final Destination.

- Bowser is a big target. You can throw bananas and land attacks on him with relative ease.

- Bananas.

- Bowser doesn't like to be in the air, and Diddy happens to have a very good air game. Aerial pressure really hurts Bowser.

- Bananas.

- You are a monkey and Bowser is a giant turtle. You can run circles around him.

- Bananas.

- Bowser lacks any good approach except for his infinite jump and running into a shield, so camping with peanuts and Bananas is very annoying.

- Bananas.

- Bowser is gimptastic. Have fun humping him to death.

- Oh, and Bananas.

Here's what you should not be happy about.
- Bowser weighs 10,000 pounds.

- Bowser can kill Diddy at somewhat low percents. Not at outrageously low percents like DK, but anything after 80% is fair game. The Utilt is dangerous. Remember that.

- Bowser is a wall of priority. His tilts and aerials go through a lot of things.

- Bowser has one of the meanest grabs in the game. Any grab can possibly lead into more grabs, followed by an inescapable grab release Fair or Klaw. Bowser can deal more then 25% from these sort of things, so watch out.

- Every Bowser you fight will ban Final Destination. You'd better get ready to ban Norfair or Rainbow Cruise (if it's not already banned by your TO), because Bowser is an absolutely fearsome opponent when you don't have Bananas. Or on any stage with lots of platforms really.

- Although it's mostly a joke, Bowser can chaingrab Diddy into a potential Bowsercide if he's up by a stock and near the ledge.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I'll roll this over to the next matchup soon (as I've been saying)
I'm just, very sleep deprived at the moment =_=

Overnight tournament has drained my energy. And I'm tired out from playing dodgeball.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
i play both Kongs and the thing about them is that each covers the others weakness very well
so i'm gonna go ahead and say its a 50-50 matchup, it really depends on who is comboing who to all hell

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@pastaboy: 2nd from like, the 12 people that played in singles. It wasn't much of a tournament, it was just an STD that we intended to hold a casual tournament for whomever turned up. It's a good motivator to get people to play at their best to get people practicing.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
As long as Zelda is discussing Diddy, we might as well do the same back.
This week's discussion is Zelda.

Count

Smash Champion
Blech-I hate zelda :(. I've learned to DI out of her upsmash, but moves tend to have a lot of priority. I think that Zelda has the advantage here, with her dins fire and reflector, but it isn't anything too drastic. Some people may fare better than me but I always tend to struggle with zelda. Glide tossing upward in this matchup is a must. While we are discussing Zelda, any tips for me against her?!

ADHD

Smash Hero
How can you DI out of Zeldas f/u-smash? I always try it but it NEVER works.
You can't DI her usmash it's totally random if someone gets out, it's better to just make a sandwich when you're stuck in the usmash than trying to DI it. The fsmash can be DI'd, just smash DI away with flicking the c-stick and holding away with the control stick.

Luigi player

Smash Master
lol yeah nothing really works to get out of the usmash...

I once got out of it with Ness because he's so small and I could duck right next to Zelda after I got out until it was finished, but Diddy's too big for that.

I guess the best thing you could do is DI in the direction you want to go =/

Once I DId up to get out of it but it just never works and I died because I didn't DI left/right to stop my upward momentum.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Zelda makes a GREAT teammate.

I'm heading to my teammates house this weekend. I'll probably be playing his Zelda alot. Hopefully this will lead to good posts on both boards. I'd be really interested to hear what NinjaLink thinks about this match up though, since he's one of the top players for both characters.(This applies to most of the match ups, but his Zelda really is amazing.)

Count

Smash Champion
You can DI out of her upsmash. I think you smash DI up right, or possibly up left. I will test later, I know you can DI out of it though.

ADHD

Smash Hero
You can DI out of her upsmash. I think you smash DI up right, or possibly up left. I will test later, I know you can DI out of it though.
No, you cannot. Once in a while a lucky person gets out, but you can't DI out of it.

ADHD

Smash Hero
zelda destroys you're side b, she kills you without much effort, and her glide toss is crazy. She's not much else of a problem IMO her reflector isn't anything that bad really. The main thing is get her offstage and she's definitely in diddy's hands to be punished. She's a grounded opponent so she's going to get a little pissed at you and the only aerial to really worry about is the nair but your fair is better. So you beat her in SH mode unless she gets a lucky sweetspot but it won't happen often. Pay attention to what KO moves she saves up so you know what to avoid. Her dsmash is definitely much different than avoiding her usmash. If she is going to usmash you just be careful to not under-shield it since it lasts so long. GL

Player-1

Smash Legend
o you beat her in SH mode unless she gets a lucky sweetspot but it won't happen often
I played a Zelda who sweetspotted VERY often (for a sweetspot). Only on BF though, I think they have a way to sweetspot it fairly well using platforms. Maybe he just got lucky or maybe he's just one of those z0mg **** you in the face zeldas

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
IMO, it's 55-45 Zelda.

Good range, far far better at killing. And a reflector that isn't terrible. Not great but not bad, and it makes a good GTFO move.

If you can get them to start abusing the Reflector you can get free SideB grabs though.

ADHD

Smash Hero
IMO, it's 55-45 Zelda.

Good range, far far better at killing. And a reflector that isn't terrible. Not great but not bad, and it makes a good GTFO move.

If you can get them to start abusing the Reflector you can get free SideB grabs though.
nah it's gotta be a little more in zelda's favor, like 60-40ish

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
::shrug:: Zelda can leave herself open alot, and DIing out of Fsmash is great.

I have trouble giving it a 60-40 but my teammate(GodAtHand/Riot a Zelda main obviously) seems to think it is.

Over on the Zelda Boards they seem to be argeeing to 55-45 though.

I wish I was better at explaining myself on match up talks though.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
lucario pros:
disjointed hit boxes
stronger as % raises
good/spammed projectile
decent air combos
floaty
dash attack can grab bananas quick
can AT just as well as diddy
slightly longer glide toss

lucario cons:
up b is easily gimped/edge guarded
counter sucks
easily comboed due to floatiness
relatively slow attacks
easily punished
relatively long trip animation
-----------------------------------
Diddy pros:
Fast
bananas
combos
spike/side b gimp
peanut gun spam approach
priority with fair

Diddy cons:
light/fast ko
can be gimped
bananas can be lost

thats all i know in this match up otherwise please help out fill in the rest and explain o-o otherwise i give this match 55-45 to lucario

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
thats all i know in this match up otherwise please help out fill in the rest and explain o-o otherwise i give this match 60-40 to diddy just because of his speed/control of match with bananas/priority in some moves and decent air game that can counter lucarios fair/upair spammage.
My brother mains Lucario. At best, this match-up is even; at worst, it probably hovers around 4 : 6 in Lucario's favor. More on this later.

Lucarios who know how to reverse single dribble are both simultaneously silly and frightening.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
My brother mains Lucario. At best, this match-up is even; at worst, it probably hovers around 4 : 6 in Lucario's favor. More on this later.

Lucarios who know how to reverse single dribble are both simultaneously silly and frightening.
**** totally forgot about dribbling/at's and such O_O ty. *goes and fixes*

and lol lucario has a slightly longer glide toss too o-o freaky ****

ADHD

Smash Hero
**** totally forgot about dribbling/at's and such O_O ty. *goes and fixes*

and lol lucario has a slightly longer glide toss too o-o freaky ****
Samus, and yoshi can dribble better than us. Pikachu and mario can too but it's not as great. I'm just wondering bc I can't glide toss with lucario, how do you glide toss with him lol?

We should go over GnW, I'm sure diddy has the advantage on this one altho many would disagree.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
Samus, and yoshi can dribble better than us. Pikachu and mario can too but it's not as great. I'm just wondering bc I can't glide toss with lucario, how do you glide toss with him lol?

We should go over GnW, I'm sure diddy has the advantage on this one altho many would disagree.
um same way with every character? just his roll dodge is longer than most characters so timing is a little off.

i still think we need more views on lucario i was facing one of my lucario friends and he was putting up quite a hardcore airgame, i couldnt react fast enough with his disjointed upair

fox219

Smash Journeyman
- This is the final Version of the previous Matchup Chart -

The Diddy Kong Forums
Diddy Match up Chart

This is a list of Diddy Kong matchups comprising of evaluations of Diddy's advantages and disadvantages against each character. This is shown both as a hard, numerical ratio, and a small description.

Please note, this is a work in progress.
The descriptions are courtesy of Player-1 and his thread:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=177870

---

Mario : Diddy
40 : 60
Strong

Luigi : Diddy
70 : 30

Peach : Diddy
60 : 40
Weak

Bowser : Diddy
20 : 80
Very Strong

Diddy : Diddy
50 : 50
Neutral

Donkey Kong : Diddy
Weak

Yoshi : Diddy
55 : 45
Neutral

Wario : Diddy
Neutral

Link : Diddy
35 : 65
Strong

Zelda : Diddy
Neutral

Sheik : Diddy
30 : 70
Strong

Gannondorf : Diddy
Very Strong

Toon Link : Diddy
Weak

Samus : Diddy
Neutral

Zamus : Diddy
Weak

Pit : Diddy
Neutral

Ice Climbers : Diddy
65 : 35
Weak

ROB : Diddy
Neutral

Kirby : Diddy
Weak

Meta Knight : Diddy
Neutral

King Dedede : Diddy
Strong

Captain Olimar : Diddy
Very Weak

Fox : Diddy
45 : 55
Neutral

Falco : Diddy
Very Weak

Wolf : Diddy
Neutral

Captain Falcon : Diddy
Strong

Pikachu : Diddy
30 : 70
Strong

Charizard : Diddy
Strong

Ivysaur : Diddy
Strong

Squirtle : Diddy
Neutral

Lucario : Diddy
Neutral

Jigglypuff : Diddy
65 : 35
Weak

Marth : Diddy
Neutral

Ike : Diddy
Strong

Ness : Diddy
Neutral

Lucas : Diddy
Neutral

G&W : Diddy
Weak

Snake : Diddy
Neutral

Sonic : Diddy
Strong

Thank you so much for the info! FYI, my main is now Diddy, not luigi

DUB

Smash Lord
The only Mewtwo i played was very campy. Matches tended to last a long long time. They would spam spheres, shield naners, and use f-smash to space.

Mewtwo's roll is godly. It's very quick and is good for giving them breathing room against Diddy.

Top Bottom