• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did you know!

Mike2

Smash Ace
Did you know:

- That you can explode all of snakes explosives at the same time? (mine,c4,nade,mortar,nikita)
- That you can make your nades invisible? (not effective for competitive play)
- You can dthrow cg on one of the islands in delfino (it works w/ certain chars and it you can last it until the platforms starts to leave )
When you post stuff like this please explain how to do it obviously. You already know we're gonna ask. -_-

EDIT* You did but please do it in the same post. :urg:

mofo_

Smash Ace
When you post stuff like this please explain how to do it obviously. You already know we're gonna ask. -_-

EDIT* You did but please do it in the same post. :urg:
sorry i just felt that it wouldve been too much text for a simple trivia post.

since 2 of them were explained heres how to do the first one which is explode all explodables:

1. plant a dsmash mine
2. plant a c4 on it
3. move away from it a bit and shield drop a nade
4. use nikita. the nade explosion should hit you (and not the mine) which will cancel the nikita and the nikita will carry on by itself upwards (if the explosion didnt cause it too shoot upwards then you should manually aim it)
5. charge an usmash mortar shell almost to a full charge. like when snakes head is looking almost downward.
6. You should then see the nikita and the mortar shell falling down at the same time which you will then shield drop a nade.
7. (jump and) detonate your c4.

if done correctly you would have exploded your nade, c4, mine, mortar, and nikita.

im wrote this from the top of my head. this is all "iirc". i havent tried this in a long time and i cannot test this right now... if im wrong then you can just ask False

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Subscribed to KyoMamoru! Definitely won't forget to utilize the c4-powershield and cypher-throw now :D

Someone said you can Zibble-drop items to get out of cypher early? Early like immediately or just when pressing down would get you out?

And I don't know how anyone in here can claim to be flashiest while not moonwalking (slow-walk against) the SV platform.
If anyone didn't know, it also keeps you in place on treadmills (PokeStad2).

zmx

Smash Lord
Good stuff guys, keep it coming. Snake's grenades is probably my favourite item based move in the game. There's just so much you can do with them and I'm sure I don't even know half of it.

Here's some stuff I do know that's probably really old but cool nontheless.

1. Shield drop nade+roll backwards---->DACUS. You'll pick up the nade as you're doing your DACUS. Thus you can throw it instantly afterwords which tends to throw people off.

2. Doing aerials while holding nades. Shield drop nade, then immediately jump and do an aeirial. You'll have picked up the nade.

3. Shield drop nade. Hold the attack button when picking it up (easier if attack button is also set to R or L). Now you can do a side smash wih the c-stick while holding the nade. It looks wierd but he can pull it off.

Also has anyone found a use for glide tossing with nades?

Btw can you do other attacks while holding nades (not including specials)? Those are the only ones I know about. Like tilts for instance?

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
From memory you can Dtilt and fsmash while holding a nade. I think you just hold attack to pick it up, then do an fsmash, or crouch while holding nades and you can do a dtilt.

Pretty sure.

Glidetossing nades is a minor spacing tool, but doing the same with nanas is pretty important to the Diddy mu.

:phone:

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
Would jump-canceled tosses be better or worse than glide tosses?

zmx

Smash Lord
Would jump-canceled tosses be better or worse than glide tosses?
What exactly are jump-canceled tosses? Do you mean jump air dodged cancelled tosses? Because those are pretty cool and according the guy who posted about them, are the fastest way to throw grenades.

-Ran

Smash Master
No, Jump canceled throws are when you initiate a dash, jump, and then quickly throw the grenade in any direction. It'll look like you'll slide forwards while doing it.

zmx

Smash Lord
I've forgotten what the video was called. I'll try to find it. Basically you drop a grenade then immediately jump+air dodge+throw the grenade. It all happens pretty fast.

zmx

Smash Lord
Oh and could you please elaborate on the dash jump cancelled throw. Still don't know what you mean.

Okay, shove the control stick in some direction, this will start your dash. After that, slide your thumb from y/x to A. You'll throw the grenade before you get airborn if you do this quickly, then you'll get the slide.
It would be much slower, no?

Sounds it.

Glide tossing can be used oos, also.
Meh, not really. You can cancel dashes at any time with a jump and you can cancel the jumpsquat at any time with a throw. So at best, one frame to dash, the next frame to jump squat, the following frame to start throwing.

Glide toss is sort of the same only different distances for the stuff. I always use glide toss when I can because I'm just used to doing it most often with characters. Also, glide toss OoS isn't much imo. If someone is that close to you anyway to use that option, you might get hit dropping shield, then you are stuck with a nade in hand in hitstun. More damage when the nade explodes.

zmx

Smash Lord
Thanks I think I got it now. But the slide is barely even noticable let alone useful. Same with glide tossing the nades. Unless you slide backwards. Then the distance seems respectable.

-Ran

Smash Master
It's not about the slide, it's about the directional control you gain for throwing your grenades/items after being in a dash.

zmx

Smash Lord
I'm not sure what you mean.

Meaning this way since you've cancelled the dash you can immediately do tilts, smashes etc?

Say you are running away from your opponent. You cannot exactly toss nades on the ground back towards them without either jumping, doing this jump cancel toss, or glide tossing. It's useful to help turn you around and even chucking nades up to people who are underneath you faster if you have to run some distance sideways before you are directly below them.

You have stopped the dash, but you still have to chuck the grenade before you can do another action, so it's not so useful for doing tilts/smashes afterwards. Shielding is better for stopping a dash into some other action since it's much quicker at ending than tossing stuff.

zmx

Smash Lord
I see thanks.

Another question if you don't mind. How exactly do you consistantly tech walls and stuff after bombing yourself at high percentages. I understand you have to press the block button as soon as you are about to hit the wall so is it just really good timing? Or is there an easier way to do it? For instance a poster earlier said you can do it just by holding jump or something? Or do you still have to tech for that to work?

You can actually buffer techs, so basically just press shield button and release it just before hitting the wall and you should tech more often. Otherwise, you sort of have to get used to the timing.
Edit: And yeah, UL said that you can tech jump easily by simply holding the jump button. So you can hold the jump button before exploding yourself, DI in some direction, buffer a tech before hitting the wall and you can tech jump rather easily.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I actually never knew that, but just practicing it a bit makes it pretty easy to do to high %, just jump off stage and explode yourself over and over. it's also easier if you use one of the wii controllers, have your springs in your GCN controller removed, or use a button like X or Y for shield, as the shield/tech doesn't activate until the trigger is fully clicked and the springs make you lose a few frames

JRC LSS

Smash Apprentice
You can throw an item backwards while running by simply letting go of the control stick and then smashing the c-stick backwards. It has the same effect as the jump-canceled throw, but it's just a different way to do it.

-Ran

Smash Master
This thread has too many little tricks to let it fade away. I'll add a few more. :) We'll call this the nair edition.

1) During Rainbow Cruise's upward transitional period, Snake's Nair and Dair will auto cancel in a single full hop.
2) The height required to do a full nair is Snake's normal jump and about one extra head of height. An example would be on Ps1 during a transition, you can often times jump from the stage to the white lip with an auto canceled Nair.
3) Snake can auto cancel his full hop nair on numerous levels due to tilts on the level, such as Lylat, Halberd, Yoshi's Island, Castle Siege, PS1, Delfino, and so forth.
4) On certain platforms on Delfino that are structured akin to the Brinstar right most platform, you can start a nair in the center, and tilt slightly to the right/left and auto cancel it while still on the same platform.
5) If you drop beneath a platform and then jump immediately, you can do a full nair/dair and auto cancel it on the platform. This enables you to grab a grenade from a shield drop and do a full aerial. You actually have enough time to pull another grenade, fast fall through the platform, and instant throw one grenade, jump, and instant throw the other. Needlessly complicated. =p
6) You can run off the ledge, immediately jump back to the stage while nairing, and auto cancel your landing.
6) Auto Canceling a Nair against an opponent's shield should give you -2 frame advantage. If your opponent attempts to grab, they can be Tilted. :)

A couple quick updates.

The mortar stand hitbox will only affect people when they are standing on the ground. If they are in the air and the hitbox makes contact with their hurtbox, they will not take damage/knockback.

In the image below is Snake's fsmash. The outer orange circle shows the hitbox for Snake's fsmash. However, that hitbox will only hit ground opponents. The smaller hitbox hits only aerial opponents. And the star shape just recognizes a launch angle of 361 degrees. And the dotted line shows transcendent priority.

Sorry, but what does that mean?
Yea, that was poorly worded. I'm surprised I didn't catch that before. Retyped it out. Pretty much, there are certain hitboxes designed for hitting grounded only targets and hitboxes designed for hitting only aerial opponents.

Fsmash, Usmash (mortar stand), Ftilt 1, and Dair are Snake's only moves that have such hitboxes which will affect ground vs air opponents differently. YOu probably recognize this when hitting with ftilt 1 against someone in the air that they simply go flying. Or Dair will cause someone to bend over on the ground at times or simply get sent into the air. That all depends upon if they are in the air or ground at the time the hitbox hits them.

-Ran

Smash Master
And now I know why my F-smash as an AA didn't work as good as it should have based on the hitbox.

Attila_

BRoomer
mucking around on funny stages and look what happens.

- when on ice, you can cancel any slide by using a tilt or a grab. a smash or jab will continue sliding, though.
- on halberd, during the flying transformation, you can run off the top platform, ff wavebounce c4 immediately, cancelling the c4 and allowing you slide into the middle of the stage. this can be cancelled in a fast moving utilt or grab.
- on halberd, during the flying transformation, i'm pretty sure we can grab release to utilt wario onto the top platform, and sweetspot him with utilt. at least, i think i've done it a few times.
- if you sticky someone and blow it up, you can buffer another downB to hear snake try to blow up a c4 that doesn't exist.
- dash attack to fair can be a true combo on the treadmills of ps2
- during the air transformation of ps2, we can walk backwards off stage while in our nade stance, throw it, then grab the edge without jumping.

the more you know.

Anything on how to play around PS2 is good to know. I usually screw up on the ice due to a dash or something.

- during the air transformation of ps2, we can walk backwards off stage while in our nade stance, throw it, then grab the edge without jumping.
^ I'm pretty sure Snake can do that on any stage ledge. Only its like 10 times harder to get it right.
Maybe I am thinking about a 2nd jump nade toss from the ledge and still manage to toss it.

Oh, something I have to try later. Do a reverse nade to wavebounce when performing a ledge hop. I wonder if that would kill your momentum from the hop.

Attila_

BRoomer
i've definitely never done it anywhere else. could be frame perfect or something lol

actually, ledgehop wavebounce nikita is awesome if you know someone wants to grab you off the ledge, but its a little risky. looks cool though :D

I wish there were uses for Nikita, but there is almost always something better to be doing than wasting time on using it.

I think it might be possible to direct the missile upwards, then disrupt Snake with an attack so that the missile will keep moving forward on its own. But I'm not sure about that.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
reverse nade to wavebounce from ledge hop is a pretty good tactic. Preserves second jump, gets a projectile in your opponents face in a relatively safe way, looks cool as hell. Also really easy to input once you figure it out. From the left edge, jump, and while Snake is in the animation of going into the jump hold the control stick to the left, as he jumps and lets go of the edge, you let go of the control stick.
(If you press b after letting go of the control stick, as a result of your buffering you will automatically do a turnaround grenade, so all you have to do from there is a reverse grenade to the right)
then press b and control stick to the right, basically reverse grenade to the right, and you'll get that awesome wavebounce action. Satisfaction guaranteed ;)

zmx

Smash Lord
I wish there were uses for Nikita, but there is almost always something better to be doing than wasting time on using it.

I think it might be possible to direct the missile upwards, then disrupt Snake with an attack so that the missile will keep moving forward on its own. But I'm not sure about that.
I rather think there are a few uses.

Firstly, let's not forget it actually has decent kill power. Yes I know actually hitting with it is nothing short of a miracle lol but this is still a fact and this ties into my next point.

It is not a bad mixup for edge guarding especially since it can be controlled to chase the opponent. Do this while they are at a high percentage (and would therefore die if they got hit) and they might be pressured enough to make a mistake. I've done this and had people panic do an early airdodge or miss the ledge completely thus SDing because of it. Dealing with a long lasting hit box while recovering (especially if you keep circling it near the edge) is harder than most people think especially for characters like falco.

Lastly quickly side bing and dropping it while really high in the air is not a bad mixup either especially since unlike grenades it doesn't hurt you. It's free damage if your foe gets hit by it and they often don't see it coming.

Attila_

BRoomer
you can use your c4 recovery on brinstar and tech the middle of the stage (in between the canister things).

Top Bottom