• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diamonds in the Rough: The South Team at FC

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Guys we should stay Focus. FC is near and we need to figure out a good team.

Nite

Smash Champion
True true. We don't wanna get ***** this year. The South did a lot better last year than it did at any previous FC. Let's try and make an even better team this year.

Pritch

Smash Lord
(a) forward's west coast, I believe.

(b) Believe it or not, not all of the good south players are from fl.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
LA WILL be at FCD.
included will be our top 4 players: Lee, Cyphus, John, and Taylor

Caveman or Rob aren't even registered...

as far as NOW...the South Team IS dealing w/out TX's best. can ANYONE verify that they are coming?
as far as the best that we know are going...

Shiz, speedn, nite, chaddd...?
from that point on, i'm positive LA's bests can swing just as hard as anyone from then on out.
at INNV(i know i'm beating a dead horse now... ~_~)...
Lee placed 13th..equal to Rice, Chaddd(ganon), and smeesh.
me and john got 17th, just one round below.
chaddd beat me in the tourney, but he knows i coulda had it, both rounds v___v (missed cape. gg. fell through corneria-glitch. bg) both 1 stock high damage. lol

not to put the attention on chaddd, but because me and john both got to play him, i trust since he's a more popular candidate for the SouthTeam...he could vouche for LA's skill.
(edit: nvmd mentioning friendlies w/ shiz,forward...friendlies are dumb, right?)

i just fear LA is gonna get neglected for more popular states' "2ndary line of best players" who are no better than us. i'm stubbornly positive, for the benefit of the South Team, a couple of us would fit perfectly.
please, can anyone vouche this, from playing us?

chaddd

Smash Lord
Unfortunately, I'm not sure that anyone outside of Georgia really trusts in my ability, or a comparison I can make from a few months ago.

I consider myself ALRIGHT as of right now, I still make small mistakes that cost me damage, and in the case of playing GaWes, a death combo. I'm not sure many people will come to the same conclusion as you that I'm all that great, though. Which is why I'm coming for some Florida money at LTEC. Hurray for massive friendlies!(assuming people in Florida still like me)

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I hear... that Louisiana rarely plays outside their region.

I'm sure you guys are ""good"" but experience does matter a lot in high stress situations like Intra-national Crew battles.

I think I'm being generous enough by offering you guys the opportunity to prove that you can compete on a national stage instead of blindly deferring to Texas. Experience vs OOS competition is what worries me. And you guys haven't had many chances to play in decently large crew battles.

If you looked at the names that I picked out in the beginning for 'guaranteed' spots, what do they all have in common? Black hair? Not just that, but they have a track record of not only performing well in crews (Shiz/SpeedN took 13 stocks off of Midwest last year with their 8) but singles and teams (though the latter is less important here, but dealing with the stress of high stakes matches, even in teams is still important) and they have the ability to not only take the stocks while holding theirs, but the consistency and experience to actually make that happen.

It's not just placing well within your own region (though tied for 13th isn't exactly what I'd call 'well'). It's about being able to bring it, full force, not just random bursts of brilliance, but to be able to perform up to the caliber of this kind of national level of competition every single time. I'm not gonna lie, Lee beat me in pools last year; but since then I've taken my game and beaten players who are considered some of the strongest in my region (Wobbles, Rob$, etc), while Lee is stuck beating Jack 9 Offsuit.

chaddd

Smash Lord
I'm gonna be there of course, Cyphus.

Chaddd you're going to FC? I don't see your name on the roster..
No i'm not planning on going to FC anymore. There's not enough motivation for me to go. I am going to Evo, though.

EDIT: I would like to point out that yes I did place 13th at INNV, but I was only taken out by Darkrain and Jiano. I beat a number of other players, though, including KishPrime.

TehPh1r3PwnzJ00

Smash Apprentice
thank you doh for acknowledging our posts atleast.
we were pretty much ignored until then.
i think u should decide on maybe 5-7 definate players to be on the team, then save the other spots to be decided the day before crews (the 12th i guess?) you never know, we might surprise you ;)

and it's pretty difficult to play players outside our region. the closest places outside of la are 4-5 hours away, and those places rarely hold tournaments. wed have to drive 8 hours to play in consistent tournament games.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you looked at the names that I picked out in the beginning for 'guaranteed' spots, what do they all have in common? Black hair? Not just that, but they have a track record of not only performing well in crews [...] but dealing with the stress of high stakes matches[.]
It's not just placing well within your own region (though tied for 13th isn't exactly what I'd call 'well'). It's about being able to bring it, full force, not just random bursts of brilliance, but to be able to perform up to the caliber of this kind of national level of competition every single time.

yea..ur guaranteed list has obvious choices...but thats just that. LA can't compete with the top 4 in the South..where competing for the next level. which as of now, is still debatable.
Take away Cave, Rob, Shiz, Speen...and your left with players just like LA's finest. Players who do great in their area...but haven't either had the opportunity or success at a national-stress level competition....that is unless you count Lee...
I'd just like to say the more stress...the better lee plays. For his 1st tourney outside Louisiana, 33rd at FC6 is pretty ****ing amazing.
I would say Lee is an obvious choice for the South Team...but i'm aware there are already other great fox players(when is one more fox, too many though?) And every team needs a Marth...and John is one of the best in the South. (he went to a west FL tournament himself and got 1st, beating the best there, including Rice)
The truth is, different people from LA have gone OOS...once to IN, once to TX, once to AL, again to IN, once to FL, once to TN,....and no matter who went where..we've always done great.
i know i sound like an pompous a$s, but i guess i can quit for now...cuz i know South Team won't be 100% complete before the tourney, and in that case, i'm sure we'll get on from proving it first hand there.
<3 doh

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Rofl @ Kelly Clarkson :).

Cyphus, i'm pretty sure he did win a FL tournament.

But were any top people from Florida there. I mean yeah, definitely Rice is very good. But he's 9th on the power ranking list. Even though he should be higher IMO. Did John beat anyone on the Top 5 or anyone else from the power ranking list for Florida?

I definitely agree with Cyphus being on the South team though. I think you should, we just need to have proof that your really good to other people. You've definitely impressed me. Your one of the smartest Docs I've ever played.

Remember you vs Darkrain in the Fl crew at FC. That was too good man. Your too good.

TehPh1r3PwnzJ00

Smash Apprentice
no offense to cyphus but if u want to include him for sure, it's impossible to leave lee off the team. i could argue for myself or jon but i know we've yet to move far past la, but if ur saying cyphus is a sure fit the lee must be there aswell. he won't dissapoint.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
alright..Caveman IS registered.(not on the list yet though)
RobMoney will NOT be attending.
(that is the official word from KishPrime)

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
well, I dont know how many south players were at pound 2, but that being the last major tournament of a similar attendance at FC, that should also play into account for the team. I'm not entirely sure how tryouts will work, cause of what use is it to play against one another when we're trying to compete against other regions?

TehPh1r3PwnzJ00

Smash Apprentice
no offense but i think the answer is retardedly simple. to find out the players with the best chances of beating the other regions. it's not like all the players in the south will evade playing one another the whole tournament. its just a game and we should be able to have matches to decide who's on the team and who's not.

stripesorbars2

Smash Cadet
Alright this is starting to annoy me.

If there is any kind of Mario on the South team it has to be Green Mario(best Mario/Doc/Luigi/Person).

XIF needs to be on there too(best Peach in the world).

Maybe chopsies(best talker) too.

All South states(chaddd) suck except AZ, FL, and TX.

Sorry.

Taco Johns.

If LA has a problem with this, then MM crew battle Florida's 2nd tier players.

We should just have a mini tourney to see who gets the final sopts on the team.

Also, Ken and ManaCloud are culo grandes.

See ya'll at FC and not OCgay.

<3 LA.

chaddd

Smash Lord
I dislike you very much for this post. You've never played me. I went even with Darkrain. I was one hit away from beating Ken's Sheik in my first SoCal tournament. It's alright, at LTEC, when I have lunch with XIF's money, I won't care what any of you think.

Linguini

Smash Master
I dislike you very much for this post. You've never played me. I went even with Darkrain. I was one hit away from beating Ken's Sheik in my first SoCal tournament. It's alright, at LTEC, when I have lunch with XIF's money, I won't care what any of you think.
You went even? I thought he won, no? And you claim you went even with Forward also,wasn't it a friendly by his words he wasnt even trying, and I would know because I chilled with him yest. Dont state these things dude, just prove yourself, thats it.
And ill make a bet with you $10 that xif beats you, you up to it?

PB&J

Smash Hero
good ol smash talk..i love smash boards..everybody in ga knows chaddd is a beast and everybody out of state wants him to prove hinself...heres what i think...chaddd is going to beast at ltec2 ...and i heard u r getting better chaddd..give me ur infinite

chaddd

Smash Lord
You went even? I thought he won, no? And you claim you went even with Forward also,wasn't it a friendly by his words he wasnt even trying, and I would know because I chilled with him yest. Dont state these things dude, just prove yourself, thats it.
And ill make a bet with you $10 that xif beats you, you up to it?
Haha. Yeah, I guess I need money for dinner, too.

And yeah, I always unplug the controller in anger and walk away when I'm not trying, too.

chaddd

Smash Lord
ill bet 10$ xif would beat u too.. if i have money that is...
I'm not entirely sure why you, XIF, and Linguini doubt me so much. I mean, I've never played any of you, but just because I'm from a state that doesn't contain a lot of skilled people, you assume that your state will forever come out on top. I went from complete newb to the top of my Power Rankings in less than a year and a half, and I've been state ranked in every game I've ever played competitively. You can doubt Georgia all you want, but I'm not sorry to say that I hate everything this state represents. I hate the weather, I hate the majority of the people, but most of all, I hate people assuming that I'm some redneck ****** that says "Ya'll" and "Reckon" just because of where I'm from. I don't have an accent, I am incredibly articulate, and I don't fit any of the stereotypes of being from the South.

Believe it or not, despite the mad trash you few guys talk, I like all you guys from Florida. I've heard nothing but good things about you, and I can't wait to play with you guys. I know you're good, and have earned a reputation as such. But I don't see why you must belittle me every chance you get in an attempt to crush any and all attempts I make at making a name for myself. I don't know if it's to boost your own ego or not, but talking trash about people you've never played or met, or even talked to in real life, is incredibly ignorant. We did that same thing when Nite came down for one of our tournaments for the first time, and he crushed us all because we underestimated him so much (I now trade with him, though).

I can't wait to meet and play all of you, especially Queen(Wes tells me you rule). But as far as all this trash talk goes, the money match remains, but how about instead of hyping your own state, we just wait and see what happens? Then maybe if I lose, you can talk trash to me if I decide to EVER bad mouth your state's abilities(which would be incredibly stupid in the first place).

Good luck to XIF in our money match, good luck to everyone else at exarch's tournament, I can't wait to get some experience playing you guys. But some of you guys just need to get over yourselves. It's not refreshing to know that there are top players out there that immediately assume the skill level of people without ever playing them...a mistake that I only expect from those players that put vids of themselves beating up level 9 computers. I would have thought that being at the skill level you are at, you should know that others are quite as capable, if not more so, than you at improving their game.

I happily await all challengers, inside or outside of Georgia, and the idea of improvement of those around me doesn't cause me feel hostility, but it makes me excited for the community as a whole. For years, Mike G, Bobby(just1111), and Wes(Our Savior Marth) dominated the Georgia Smash scene, and my goal when beginning to play this game competitively was to show everyone else that though they were good, they were not forever above us all. The result? I finally took Wes out of his own tournament, which happened to be my 3rd Smash tournament ever. I always thought that winning and being a good sport dictated a kind word from others, and a recognized name in the community, but all I've learned is that it creates just as many haters as so-called "fans".

Please try not to spread this negative vibe towards competitive gaming, as the gaming community as a whole is already facing prosecution from older generations for a number of reasons.

Can't we all just get along? Why the hate? Why the comtempt? Why did you guys choose to trash my combo video with no clear reason for any of it? I don't know you at all, but have respected you as smashers since before I even had a smashboards account.

I had no idea you would turn out to feel such spite for another talented member of the community, just trying to have some fun and make some friends through this game we all love so much.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
from this point on, instead of debating how people aren't worthy enough to get on...maybe we should figure oiut who is...
have any of u even studied the ROSTER?

so far we have
guaranteed:
Shiz, Cave, Speen
that leaves ALOT to work with.

lets move past that...now, i don't know who all the best players are in each region but going through it, skipping names that i've never heard of, and probably-nots, would people correct me on this list of the best candidates from each state that are going?
(again, this is just taken from the roster. it is subject to missing people since it has yet to be updated after the final tickets sales)

AL: Moogle, Viperboy, Dope*(???)
FL: RockCrock, XIF, QDVS, ??
MS: Chad, ?
TN: Nite, Spaceballs, ?
TX: Xelic, Smiles, Wobbles*(???)
LA: Lee, Cyphus

*why are their names in those states?...joke? i'm just listing them here, in case the 1% chance i'm wrong, but as far as i know..they are not south team, lol.

i think the 7 most deserving would be...
Cave, Shiz, Speedn, Nite, Doh, Chad(pika), Lee
afterward...its a pretty interesting tossup from the remaining candidates.

Top Bottom