• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diamonds in the Rough: The South Team at FC

Lee Martin

Smash Ace
this is cyphus
doodah, you also got a MM w/ John...even though i doubt you're serious about MMing LA.
and nah, thanks chad and nite for reminding me to ignore him, which i'll try hard from this point on.

what all you LA players are saying is basically what FL said a few years ago, and look what happened everytime they went oos or people came here? so the whole "you never seen/played/whatever us" excuse doesnt count. FL already proved to have the better competition in the SE.
so what you guys have to do now is shut your mouth and do the talking with your skills at TOURNEYS and actually placing HIGH at major tourneys WINNING,( not almost, close, 1 match off) against NOTABLE opponents in SETS.

again, FL was in the same position as you guys, so believe me i know how it feels. so go to LTEC and prove it, because talk is cheap.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Florida Guys - I think you are jumping the gun on what Cyphus is saying: he's not implying that he is better than Florida, or that LA consistently faces better competition than Florida but that when the best of LA do go to big tournaments with big names there, they represent themselves well.

I know you Florida guys didn't get any respect for the longest of times, but don't just try to stomp all over the guy when he is modestly representing the best of his state. After all, this thread is about who should represent the South at FC, not let's try to berate parts of our own region.

TehPh1r3PwnzJ00

Smash Apprentice
thx virgilijus.
lee is definitely best in la though.
and everyone whos talking **** u rly dont know what we can do. u havent played us so talk all you want it rly doesnt matter. it will just make winning that much more awesome.
and when i say winning i dont actually expect to beat florida's top tier players, but it will be good matches either way. and it seems like everyone trash talking are the people who also dont have any real victories in big tournaments.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
sorry..i meant to respond to Linguini: yes i accept your MM
(other posts got between us)
-----------------------

its just wierd how awesome shiz and speedn do in major tournies...and then the other FL smashers put that same criterian on us, when they haven't done it better themselves. True, you place awesome in FL, but i don't see you guys beating shiz in tournaments (and you're asking us to beat people like that to get respect?) We didn't see any of you guys at FC6 or INNV. About doing awesome against pros? How about taking 3 stock off of Darkrain with my remaining 3 stock in the FC6 crew battles?............
oh, u know- the crew that LA joined forces with FL. The Florisiana Team. =) Apparently we've gained the respect from the best of FL, but thats not good enough for ya'll. Shiz, Speedn, and Smashmac are some of the nicest people I've had to pleasure of meeting and talking with. I have more respect for them as people and the state they represent, than I ever will for them being smashers, and I intend to keep that belief. I don't wanna jeapordize the trust we made for something so dumb.
I retire this argument.

EDIT: alright, now i'm asking nicely. please quit. i don't have to prove anything to anybody in this thread who has no sayso of the South Team. I'd rather ya'll trash me on IM/PM than ruin this thread.
----
less than 2 weeks now. Its going to be so exciting. everyone's been training it up. i can't wait!

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Well, I'm not playing as part of AZ, TX, South, or West now since I can't make it. :(

Honestly though, I think if we're concerned about not having ties with the people on our crew, this is the chance to make ties with them. If you don't know DaShizWiz and think: "he's not in my group, I don't wanna team with him," I recommend you lose that mindset. This is an opportunity to meet people you don't know, increase your connections, and play some talented players.

That was one of the primary complaints, and I think if you see it as an obstacle, you can turn it into an opportunity.

The other though is skill, and South is in a tough spot. Depending on which states are part of South, there may be a deficit of top tier skill. And of course, every regional crew wants to win so we want our best, and if our best isn't good enough... well, blah. But lets say South has:

Forward
Taj
Caveman
Xelic
SpeedN
ShizWiz

for now: there are four spots that need filling and five alternates. Where are we going to get them?

My vote is simply to use tourney downtime before the regional crew battle to have candidates play the top members of the crew and see how they perform. Get a general assessment at the tournament, since it's the only time you can concretely judge one another. Videos and lists just don't cut it for deciding this kind of stuff.

That's just my take though.

SetsumA

Smash Apprentice
lol.. is all i have to say about this argument but anyway, good luck to you guys at FC. and i hope you all do well. so shut up, stop arguing and turning this thread into a huge ***** fight.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
so now it looks like the south crew is left w/
Cave, Xelic, Shiz, Speedn
i guess noone in TX or FL has played Nite? He has a pretty amazing falco and is very successful in all the tournaments in his region.
PikaChad as well. I really don't think 1 or 2 mid/low tiers would be such a bad idea. Those characters only tend ot have 1 or 2 skewd matchups (which risks can be minimized, since we do afterall see the oposing team's list...and wait for possible vulnerabilities to have passed, etc)...and in same token, the matchups those players are comfortable with, they tend to do amazing thanks to them knowing the oponent better than visa versa. (chudat used pika to beat a peach that beat his iceclimbers recently at a tourney)
PikaChad deffinately has one of the best pikas in the world, and although he hasnt shown much interest in this thread, he has a great track record, and i'm sure will impress before the team is finalized.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
I fail to comprehend where the logic comes in. First, I'm not going to FC, I already said that. Second, I wasn't aware that there is no proof that I'm not good at this game, I know who I've beaten. And third, I don't think barely losing your first stock before taking theirs, and then immediately killing the opponent when I come back to the stage, or SD'ing and still keeping up with the stocks means that my opponent MUST be sandbagging. Say what you like, but I have never been cocky in any way since I started competitive gaming 8 years ago, and from what I hear, I have magically been talking all this trash about all these people without any recollection of saying it. Weird. Case and point once again, you've never played me. Money match?
AND! the abridged version:

I fail to comprehend where the logic comes in. First, I'm not going to FC, I already said that. Second, I wasn't aware that there is no proof that I'm not good at this game, I know who I've beaten. And third,

- JOHN -

Say what you like, but

- LIE -

Weird. Case and point once again, you've never played me. Money match?
call em as I see them.

nothing matters until its tournament or $50 or more for an MM.

LA people: I wouldnt take anything that shiz says about your skill seriously, he's too nice to a fault, he says everyone is pretty good and he'd vouch for tehsmashl0rd666

I'd gladly play the garunteed spots (caveman, shiz, speedn, xelic) and have them decide who they want.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Now that wobbles isn't going, I'm definitely paying a closer look to Florida's high placers below Shiz/SpeedN, like Lamb and XiF. Smiles from TX is also going, he's the Peach of Crystal City (Rob$/Caveman's crew) and also plays a pretty mean Doctor Mario. My only qualm about this is having 4 Peaches on a crew may people seeing me as having a Peach bias; but if the 4 of us are in the top 10 players I don't see a problem with it, does anybody else?

My problem with having low tiers like Pikachad on the team is that it just screams 'Sheik players, counterpick me to FD, please'. Originally I had intended this as a lure for Sheik players so that we could put in a Sheik counter, like Wobbles on FD (or like we did to MW last year and put me vs Drephen on Mute), but I'm afraid we could lose a bunch of stock in the process; stock that could be very valuable.

Can anyone outside Nite's region vouch for him? And who is colbol?

Does anyone have any vids for me? Or any nominations?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Colbol is too humble to talk for himself (good **** colin :]) but hes too good to not be on the team so ill talk for him.

Colbol is a fox from FL. Since hes gotten good he pritty much top 3's every big tourney he goes to. Only reason hes not on the top 10 FL list because it hasnt been updated. His Fox is as technical as they come.

Heres a somewhat recent tourney match vid vs Rockcrock (sorry Rock but its one of his best vids)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyukrr6T-j8

He also went to pound and got 25th.

XIF

Smash Master
shiz has some vids of me vs lamb that he was gonna make a combo vid out of, but aside from that, there's a vid from a tournament in december 06 thats like 2 hours long that shows me, green, and lambchops playing along with other FL players. If you're interested in something that old lemme know and i'll dig it up.

But I wouldnt worry about having 4 peaches, its quite a large number for 1 character yes, but as long as we all feel comfortable in different matchups it shouldnt be a problem. Like for instance, My most comfortable matchup is falco, followed by Marth (IC's by default), and there hasnt been a falco in tournament that has truly beaten me. The best falco's I've played in tournament against, shiz and forward, I beat. But now, they both countered fox and beat me, one of my weaker matchups, so we would need someone or one of our peaches to be able to handle the matchup better than I could. We have our stronger players like caveman and speedn to handle a variety, the people we'd send in first. But then use the players a rung below, such as myself and lamb, to counter.

which BTW reminds me, how are we gonna approach who goes first? If we want someone strong that can take everyone, i'd say someone like speedn (i dont know about cave or xelic's ability versus many characters) but I know like shizwiz has some problems vs peach.

as for colbol, i'd personally say he's a good candidate for the team, but he isnt quite consistent. He's done well at one or 2 tournaments, placing top 3 with all regions of FL, but then the very next one he'll get 17th losing to the people he beat last time. at pound2 he made it to the bracket, beating chillin's jiggs (random >_>) but then losing to watty's samus. He's a good player who is VERY good versus falco's but has alot of problems vs other characters... plus he's 13 years old =P

Colbol is a fox from FL. Since hes gotten good he pritty much top 3's every big tourney he goes to. Only reason hes not on the top 10 FL list because it hasnt been updated. His Fox is as technical as they come.
Although he probably would be around the 8-10 range of the PR's for FL if we were to update now, its a little misleading to say he top 5's every tournament because its really more of a half and half between top 3 and then below 10th =/ gigabits generally doesnt even really matter, but his recent placing at the one a week or 2 ago is impressive indeed.

I'd say let him play the other top 4 of our regional crew and let them decide. He's definitely no joke.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Although he probably would be around the 8-10 range of the PR's for FL if we were to update now, its a little misleading to say he top 5's every tournament because its really more of a half and half between top 3 and then below 10th =/ gigabits generally doesnt even really matter, but his recent placing at the one a week or 2 ago is impressive indeed.
Alright I'll be done in this thread after i respond to this because I really don't wanna argue with another Floridian and I hope FL ***** at FC but...

Come bro you seriously arent giving the kid the credit hes earned. The fact is that hes only been to like 4 big FL tourneys in the past 6 months. You're right, he did bad at SUPS, but he got top 3 at the 3 big Gigabits which SFL was at. And Queen was just telling me the other day that SWFL doesnt even bother with SEFL tourneys anymore because they suck, so if Gigs doesn't matter what FL tourneys do? Also look at his record vs the rest of the top 10.

hes like 1-1 in tourney sets vs you XIF
also even with Lambchops in tourney sets
beats Hozart
DF quit
beat Uber Ice only time they played
is like 1-0 or 2-0 vs Queenie in tourney sets (still love you queenie)
struggles vs Green Mario
he also does really good vs Shiz' falco he just can't beat either his or SpeedN's fox yet

But yah I'd say his resume would earn him atleast a solid 5th or 6th on the FL power rankings, if not higher. I know you're biased towards SFL but you have to give credit where credit is due.

Anyway I apologize for disrupting the thread. I'm done now.

Nite

Smash Champion
I don't have any recent videos to show off my skills right now. All of my videos are at least 5 months old if not older. If you have tryouts though, I might do that if I feel like playing in the crew battles. If you don't have a complete team by then.

Lee Martin

Smash Ace
everybody needs to stfu. and we'll do what wobbles said "My vote is simply to use tourney downtime before the regional crew battle to have candidates play the top members of the crew and see how they perform. Get a general assessment at the tournament, since it's the only time you can concretely judge one another" makes more than enough sense to me bc nothing will ever get settled by all this stupid stuff. let the south pro's decide on who's in.

chaddd

Smash Lord
AND! the abridged version:

call em as I see them.

nothing matters until its tournament or $50 or more for an MM.

LA people: I wouldnt take anything that shiz says about your skill seriously, he's too nice to a fault, he says everyone is pretty good and he'd vouch for tehsmashl0rd666

I'd gladly play the garunteed spots (caveman, shiz, speedn, xelic) and have them decide who they want.
You, moron, have never played me. My god. You think if I can beat Mike G consistently that I'm going to worry about some ****** from Florida that makes 50 dollar money matches with people just because of what state they're from; regardless of skill level, knowledge of ability, and basically just because you're such a big hater.

I don't recall calling you out in the first post for my combo video thread, and since then it just seems to me that you can't comprehend anything that doesn't first assume that you're a d!ck. Flame me for not flaming you, flame me for flaming you, flame me simply for existing. What the hell does it matter what I've said to YOU? Because you can't pretend like you haven't provoked me by talking all kinds of **** about me when you don't even know who I am. Honestly, if you can beat me with Peach, then good job, I'm very happy for you putting more hours into this game than me, but jesus christ, man, will you shut the f*ck up already? Don't you realize by now that I don't care how much you are on your own ****, I'm not going suddenly bow down as though you deserve some great amount of respect. If anything you just make yourself look like a moron by using ranking to determine the thousands of other variables in this game: Learning curve, actual ability/potential, not being a lame a$$ forum troll who can't stop sucking his own d!ck about how good he is, just to name a few.

So honestly, it's funnier to me, because if I lose this money match, I'm out 50 bucks, big deal (I'll be using the money from my last tournament to get down to Florida and enter/money match you), and you can go on talking **** about me, Georgia, and whatever else you and Linkin Park decide you hate at the moment.

But if I win, then it's going to be incredibly difficult to talk **** for a very long time as long as your foot's that deep in your mouth. I'm probably just going to buy $50 worth of confetti and streamers with your money and follow you around all day throwing it in the air

So, by all means, build it up some more. I've got nothing riding on this but money, and from how much you talk, it seems like you've got a large part of your confidence in this match. I believe I'll find the match much more laid back than you. Good luck.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
I'll try to help everyone out. So why don't we get a discussion going about the people that are Top players from the States of the South.

I have some people in mind....

1. Lambchops - Falco
2. XIF - Peach
3. Colbol - Fox
4. QueenDVS - Marth
5. Nite - Falco
6. Cyphus - Doctor Mario
7. Lee - Fox
8. Green Mario - Mario

And some other people that I hear about but don't know much of.

1. Chaddd
2. -Chad-
3. Smilez
4. DarknessOfHeart?

I know theres more but I can't think of them now.

I think everyone should discuss these people.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Man, all the arguing in this thread is sad. Talk about wack.

And no, im not gunna come in here and try to heat up this whole "I think he should be on the team" arguement.

What im disappointed in is the fact that, of the people who are going and guarenteed to be on the team, nobody's keeping order.

Yeah some people are trying, but between the people i see posting, im pretty sure that everybody in here should be in check enough to not have wars going on about who thinks they can beat who.

____

Im not trying to be the voice of reason, when it's all said and done, this is the internet and by law people HAVE to argue and fight on here or the world is not right, but seriously. I've heard so much noise in this thread it's kinda disheartening to be represented by this.

And yes, I can say this, cause my name isnt a hot comodity. My name isnt coming outta anybody's mouth in all of this, My name probably looks like some inaudible word that somebody's going to go to dictionary.com for a pronunciation for; meaning i'm a no name lackey who gets represented by the 10 people who get selected for this.

_____

The way i see it, we got like, 6/7 people that ARE going to the tournament that ARE going to be on the team?

LTEC's this weekend. Why the hell not have a small tournament for the rest of the people who are going that want to go.

Sure that'll shaft many people who cant go to LTEC, but i'm throwing a helpful suggestion out there because in all honesty, im not seeing very many.

All i'm seeing is, "My homie _____ should go because this man is hot fiyah" or something to that nature.

There's aboslutely nothing wrong with that. That's what friends are for. That's what homies are SUPPOSED to do. Thing is, it obviously isnt working, and from my view down here in the pool with the rest of us common folk, nothing's happening.

____

And trust me.
I may have only talked to people in GA, but im pretty sure it's the same across the board in all of the states. All of us who arent going, who know we'd have no chance of being on this team are saying the same thing. It looks like most of the big wigs are sitting around fighting over which one of their buds should be on the crew, and not a **** thing is happening.

____

So some people want to have matches to see who beats who right now. That works.

Some of the people on the team are throwing out a few suggestions, that's fine too.

How bout somebody actually step up and do something, for the sake of the f'n team.

In all honesty, i'd do it myself if i had any real clue about ALL of the names being thrown around. There's got to be ONE fricking person in all of this that most people will go along with, whether they like said person or not, for the sake of making it through the next two weeks and not wanting to hang up smash over a crew battle.

'cause really, all this noise is wack.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
I have an idea.

How about letting the public South decide who's on the team?

GerbilMortar (9:08:19 PM): maybe they should let the majority vote?
GerbilMortar (9:08:39 PM): those not going, could nominate players they'd want to represent the masses of the South
GerbilMortar (9:08:47 PM): most votes gets it. Period

^That right there about sums up my idea (that's my AIM btw). Those of us not going, or who have no real chance, could be left to vote who should be representing us at FC. The arguing is getting everyone nowhere.

So, for example (example only, no flaming please), you devise a list of all top players from the South going to FC, this could include all players from every state power ranking, or those that arn't ranked but well known enough to be badasses (I'm talking about you Nite ;)).

Then, you let the people decide. You let those of us not going, or who do not stand a chance at the team, decide who to represent ourselves.

Just an idea, but I hope you guys think about it.

TehPh1r3PwnzJ00

Smash Apprentice
sorry but thats a really bad idea. obviously the fl players will vote for other fl players while there are many less la players to be voting period. it will make it a popularity contest, not an assessment of skill.

XIF

Smash Master
you know, I had a large post ready for chaddd refuting every one of his arguments point by point, 471 words spent just for this silly argument.

But I think the problem is that he doesnt understand the subtle underlying meaning of all of my posts, so let me spell this out.

Shut up. let your skill do the talking. I dont want to hear any BS about how you go even with this guy and then almost beat this guy and owned this guy in friendlies. Just let me see you step it up in this game instead of using words. You dont need to defend yourself on smashboards. You want to prove me otherwise? whoop my *** at ltec.

Although, I think its important to note that a large portion of your post wasnt entirely truthful. And I also want to note my trash talk hasnt extended past: "let us see at a tournament who is good" which hardly constitutes "inflamatory"

chaddd

Smash Lord
I have two requests for you. Learn to spell and be a bit more articulate. Second, let's talk about our history on smashboards here.

First of all, you typed out and recall the length of some big *** post you were too much of a badass to post? But you still had it all typed out...sounds to me like you didn't post it simply because the furthering of you being a dickbag would only prove me right, and make you look bad in front people on the boards. Also, let's look at one of the first things you said to me on Smashboards:

But the whole point of you making this combo video seems to be to get others to ride on the chaddd **** train.
So...I made a video entirely to get a bunch of people on my ****...well now wait a second...is that just a hater's way of saying you acknowledge my video's existence? See, I was under the impression that I have been playing competitive games for 8 years now, and that I have never been able to put together a montage of my combos/recordings. I was under the impression that I released a combo video for the same reason as everyone else, to entertain a few people that happen to watch it.

You're the biggest hater I know. Period. You can't stand that someone could possibly be threatening your skill in this game. Overconfidence beats ***. This quote above being one of the first things you've ever said to me, I can't really peg you as anything but a person who just loves to hate. I did nothing by releasing my video to attack you or anyone else, but you just straight up say my combos suck, my opponents suck, and anyone who's any good would never take me seriously. Now really, that's not talking ****? Humble, my ***. And speaking of talking ****, that brings me to my next point:

Oh, BTW, I have no girlfriend, so I use my spare time to make long posts like this.
You didn't even have to write that out for me. When you trashed my whole video, you didn't care at all what everyone thought of you for typing it all out, and now you make posts that you never post, instead just talking about the post as though it makes you cooler to have no one read it, despite the fact that you took the time to type it up. It's the same message either way, but now I just consider you such a hypocrite that I can't honestly take you seriously. Once again, good luck in our money match. I wish you the best of luck from a fellow Smash Community member's point of view. But from an informed point of view, get bent. I haven't heard one good thing from anyone about you other than your Peach is decent. Maybe you should work on that before hitting up training mode next time.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Guys, take the fighting to aim or something, please.

Regional crews are supposed to UNITE us, not DIVIDE us.

<3s all around?

chaddd

Smash Lord
Guys, take the fighting to aim or something, please.

Regional crews are supposed to UNITE us, not DIVIDE us.

<3s all around?
It really wouldn't be a problem if he would stop talk trash EVERY CHANCE HE GETS. I don't recall ever bringing up XIF in any post that wasn't directed at him from a quote. In any case, yes, <3s all around. Except XIF. Because he apparently wants h8's all around.

Mouf_From_Da_Souf

Smash Journeyman
Lol those things are stupid. I won the last one in austin.

Also, LAWL at someone saying Xelic shouldn't have a guaranteed spot XD XD XD. Xelic is definitly one of the best peach players in the USA. Not just the south.
except seth actually beat sum1 good in tha finalz (side effect) where as u made a deal wit tha person u played against to throw tha match against u and split tha prize. GJ hylian, but ur not goin to be recognized just yet (or ever)

i dont really care about this arguement at all or tha south team i just wanted to throw my centz in at hylian mentioning his tourney win and excluding tha part where he didnt actually win

Top Bottom