• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diablo III: Not even death can save you from me

Kal

Smash Champion
Yeah, if you don't think its fun, don't play.
This is idiotic.

But you like all Melee stages? That sounds contradicting.. lol. There's as much BS to deal with weird stages than fighting bosses in diablo.
So is this. Whether I like the non-starter stages in Melee has no bearing on whether I like certain mechanics in Diablo III.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Well, Kal, take heart. This is a Blizzard game. Complain enough about certain mechanics and they'll probably be tweaked in a patch.

*shrugs.*

I understand where you're coming from, though. Some of the affixes are pretty dumb (Nightmarish Vortex Freezing? Yiiiiikes). Beyond that, though, I'm not quite understanding what's so contrived about kiting, managing defensive CDs, and making sure your toon is geared.

Smooth Criminal

Kal

Smash Champion
I'm still going to play the game. I still enjoy it. I think it's a rather underwhelming game, and the plot was catastrophically bad, but I've invested almost one-hundred hours into it, so obviously I'm not arguing that the game is bad. It's just "if you don't like it, don't play it" isn't an appropriate response, because no one is discussing whether or not I should play the game. When Asdioh said he didn't like immunities in Diablo II, I didn't respond "well if you don't like immunities, don't play Diablo II," because it's a strawman.

I honestly don't care so much about the affixes individually. They're contrived, but a lot of difficulty in a lot of games is contrived. Hell, Inferno difficulty itself is totally contrived: all they did was scale the **** out of everything so that it's stupidly hard. Diablo isn't the sort of game where you can create deep mechanics that allow for an organic increase in difficulty anyway. I just think they should have given more thought to what affixes they allow together. A rare that can wall-off is incredibly hard for a ranged character to deal with, and so is a rare whose ads are invulnerable. Yet sometimes a rare will spawn with both attributes. It's just bad game design, because the only reasonable response for a ranged character is to try and avoid the rare mob altogether.

I also think they should have hired some actual play-testers for Inferno. And for some of the individual affixes. I'm sure they'd have gotten a few "this affix is really not fun" from people, so that they could have created a more enjoyable game altogether. I don't mind the difficulty as much as how totally annoying some of these affixes are, especially when they occur in tandem. More companies should imitate how Valve handled the testing of Portal 2, I think. Though we're dealing with Activision-Blizzard, so I won't get my hopes up for any future titles.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yeah I really don't understand where you are coming from at all with the rare packs kal. I have to manage my cooldowns perfectly to fight them, and position myself well while constantly checking for dots under me and talking with the people I'm playing to split apart packs with chains etc. It's very engaging for me. The only time it's annoying is in inferno when it's a really hard pack for my type of class like vampiric+extra health because I can't dish enough damage as a tank to do anything to that.

I can understand not liking the game or how rare packs were done, but when compared to diablo 2's rare packs it just doesn't make sense logically that immunes are more engaging than mobs that actually make you micro and time cooldowns properly.

One thing personally I don't think is as good as D2 currently is the itemization, I can't really pinpoint why but it just doesn't feel as fun. I'm looking forward to more items being added in the future though, because early D2 was the same pretty much.

Edit: Ninja'd

Kal

Smash Champion
I'm not saying the rare packs in Diablo III create shallower gameplay, Hylian. I'm saying that the gameplay is less fun. Because it's annoying as ****.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm not saying the rare packs in Diablo III create shallower gameplay, Hylian. I'm saying that the gameplay is less fun. Because it's annoying as ****.
I really feel like this may just be class dependent. Honestly, mobs spawning those types of affixes together promotes playing with friends(which I'm not saying is a good thing just what it seems like to me). I certainly don't care about wallers or reflect damage or think they are unfun, though I can't stand vampiric/shielded lol. Getting the affixes grouped together that suck for your class really does suck and makes you want to skip them, but on the flip side people would **** bricks if certain affixes weren't allowed together and complain about blizzard babying players.

The game may be a lot less fun and more annoying to play solo as certain classes. In one of my groups we can handle pretty much any combination of rare packs that we get because we have 2 tanks and then a wiz/dh dps. Some combos give the dps hell and some give the tanks hell but we certainly get through them fine. But if I'm playing alone and I see vampiric/extralife or shielding I just don't bother because it's not fun sitting there for 10 minutes hitting the same mob and watching its health go up because I'm a tank lol.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
and the plot was catastrophically bad,
Wait, this was actually important to you?

Kal, dude, this is a Blizzard game. Get your priorities straight! :troll:

As for the rest of what you said, fair enough. I feel the same way about the rare packs sometimes. The difficulty thing isn't something I've experienced full-bore yet, but I keep hearing that it's like a gear-check on 'roids. Whoopeeeeeeeeee.

Smooth Criminal

Kal

Smash Champion
Smooth Criminal, if you've ever played the original Warcraft, or Diablo, or Starcraft and its expansion, then you appreciate the story in Blizzard games. Compare:

At this point, I'm pretty much the Queen ***** of the Universe. And not all of your little soldiers or space ships will stand in my way again.
Diablo said:
Take one last look at your shining heaven Imperius. For soon, nothing of it shall remain but my laughter.
So. ****ing. Awful. And that's just comparing the dialogue. After 2002, they decided to use the plot of Warcraft III for everything. Everything has a ****ing prophecy, and everything has a major character back-stabbing. First Kerrigan, then Arthas, then
Adria
. Blizzard is doing to their series what M. Night did to Avatar.

Hylian, I agree that some of the annoyance may be class specific. Just reaffirms to me that they released a largely untested product. With bull**** DRM. Thanks a lot, Blizz.

Lovage

Smash Hero
there's a lot of things i'm finding fun as i progress solo through the later half of hell:

auction house! the AH is a lot of fun and can be profitable for your wallet and hero. sell good rares you find at competitive prices, buy good armor/gear in slots that you're lacking (an easy way to check if your armor sucks is just look at the required level, unless it has 3 sockets it prolly sux.)

numbers. big numbers are fun. high crit damage + crit chance passive + spike traps (any form really) is a really fun build for big numbers. my bombs do like 80k crits at lv 55 ;)

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Don't.

Just...don't go there with that piece of **** that M. Night Shamwow decided to bestow upon the world from his ***, just like every other film he's come up with. Well, almost all of them, anyway.

Siiiiiigh.

I could argue that "major character backstabbing" has been Warcraft's schtick since the first game, especially when it came to the bad guys (Gul'dan, Ner'zhul, et cetera). But, yeah. The quality has definitely gone down over the years. Not gonna argue there.

...Queen ***** of the Universe was definitely one of the more memorable Starcraft quotes.

*goes back to watching the unspoiled version of Avatar.*

Smooth Criminal

Kal

Smash Champion
It's like he didn't even watch the ****ing TV show. Where are the Kyoshi warriors? Why is it impressive that Iroh can bend fire without a source? Why is the acting so bad?

M. Night should have directed Titanic. That's a movie he could have made entertaining with a stupid twist. "Hey Jack, Rose is actually THE DEVIL."

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Honestly i've never thought the story in blizzard games were that good, and i really don't care. I play for the gameplay, the economy, the pvp (coming soon...). If i wanted good story i'd read a novel

Fragger

Smash Journeyman
there's a lot of things i'm finding fun as i progress solo through the later half of hell:

auction house! the AH is a lot of fun and can be profitable for your wallet and hero. sell good rares you find at competitive prices, buy good armor/gear in slots that you're lacking (an easy way to check if your armor sucks is just look at the required level, unless it has 3 sockets it prolly sux.)

numbers. big numbers are fun. high crit damage + crit chance passive + spike traps (any form really) is a really fun build for big numbers. my bombs do like 80k crits at lv 55 ;)
AH is pretty sick. A lot of times, i find items that are better than my gear for really cheap. Most of the time I can get em, if I dont get sniped. Most of the time I sell my yellows that i find that are useless on my class.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I like the AH because I sucked at trading lol. It's fun browsing it and trying to find good deals, and trying to come up with good price ranges for your items. I'm sure a lot of people don't enjoy it as well, it's certainly different. I'm using it more than I thought I would be though. For selling at least.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
an easy way to check if your armor sucks is just look at the required level, unless it has 3 sockets it prolly sux.
Just to clarify, do you mean comparing your armor's required level with your player level?

Also, AH is really fun, but only 10 auctions at a time sucks.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh

I sometimes try to sell the rares I find that look good, and I put them on very cheap like I always did even in WoW, but like 90% of my stuff doesn't sell so I don't try much anymore.

I also haven't looked for items on the AH. \(o_o)/

Are legendaries obscenely overpriced?

Lovage

Smash Hero
@wave i was talking about looking at the level req. on your gear to know when you are falling behind

legendaries are stupid overpriced. i've found two, both sold for 70k+, both were abysmal items only people with loads of dough will buy.

AH is pretty good and profitable if you have a general sense of the price of ****. i generally only sell rare armor/weapons but sometimes magic rings/ammys/offhands if they're good. gonna work on selling gems and crafting stuff once the search gets fixed.

TIP: if you're in hell and you find a magic +any one stat with 3 empty slots, fill the slots with the last act's gems (squares become obsolete by hell act 3) and sell for like 20-30k. low lv. 50's gear usually sells well if it's cheap and has good stats.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Weird. I loved the story of this game, and pretty much everything about it. I've played all 3 Diablos and this felt the best to me xD.

Kal

Smash Champion
I just found the plot predictable, the dialogue terrible, and a lot of it really clichéd. Would've been good if they, you know, hired writers. But they probably just asked Metzen to do it. Even if you like the plot, I think it's safe to say that the atmosphere of the previous games was effectively ruined. Hearing the big bad in each act constantly shout nonsense at you every few minutes just destroyed any sense of dread or hopelessness. The only time this didn't happen was with Act II, where the Lord of Lies turns out to be, in fact, a terrible liar. When the Butcher shouts "vegetables bad, meat good!" then I think the writers have things ***-backwards.

I also think all of the characters were bad and one-dimensional, and there were a lot of plot-holes. Overall it just felt so half-*****. At the end of it all I was terribly underwhelmed.

Kal

Smash Champion
I honestly am too lazy to play the Auction House. It feels so contrived and out of place in a game like Diablo. Right now my only concern is getting enough gold to max out my Blacksmith, as I've got my stash and Jewelcrafter both maxed out.

I guess I should try and play the Auction House a little better. I just don't care enough, especially with a 10 auction limit. Blizzard artificially trying to keep the economy healthy is really annoying. I think it's best to just let it maintain itself. I also think the economy would be better anyway if they just allowed everyone to post as much as they wanted to the Auction House.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
I just found the plot predictable, the dialogue terrible, and a lot of it really clichéd.

Maybe that's the joke...

I'm just saying. Really. Maybe it was. :shrug: I didn't care about the story one way or the other. It was fine for what it was; filler between hackin' and slashin'.

Predictable? Yeah, I'd agree there.

As far as dialogue and cliched stuff goes, I enjoy my cheezy action movies and stuff (not that this game had a ton of it, but I get my laughs when I can). So I guess I'm used to it.

Kal

Smash Champion
If the joke was that the dialogue was terrible and clichéd, that doesn't really do anything but make me hate it even more. Diablo III's story shouldn't have been a giant meta-joke, in my opinion. It's not World of Warcraft, so having characters like Shen who are just comic relief feels really inappropriate to me.

I'm just judging the story on its own. For me, and most gamers, plot takes a backseat to gameplay and, for the most part, the game has good gameplay. So, when I criticize the plot, don't take it as criticizing the entire game. I'm just criticizing the plot.

Kal

Smash Champion
Haha, he must have been shocked by the game's terrible plot. "What is this bull ****?" *heart attack*

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Iunno, I just...it's nothing gold medal worthy, but it's better than some games that have plots that make absolutely no sense what so ever.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
If the joke was that the dialogue was terrible and clichéd, that doesn't really do anything but make me hate it even more. Diablo III's story shouldn't have been a giant meta-joke, in my opinion. It's not World of Warcraft, so having characters like Shen who are just comic relief feels really inappropriate to me.

I'm just judging the story on its own. For me, and most gamers, plot takes a backseat to gameplay and, for the most part, the game has good gameplay. So, when I criticize the plot, don't take it as criticizing the entire game. I'm just criticizing the plot.
Pretty much this. In case you were wondering, Kal, it was this sort of perspective I was hinting at facetiously with my earlier comment about priorities.

Smooth Criminal

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629

No, I get that. I care more about how this game plays than anything involving the story.

Shen is great. But for me, he's great because I'm a movie buff, and Shen is this guy:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0393222/

James Hong. Bad guy in "Big Trouble in Little China". He also played Cassandra's father in "Wayne's World 2", along with roles in "Mulan", and I guess "Kung Fu Panda".

I can't believe someone has already died playing this game.
:sigh:

People should... You know... LIVE outside of video games to eat and sleep.

Not that this is the case here. But it's still good life advice.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I just found the plot predictable, the dialogue terrible, and a lot of it really clichéd. Would've been good if they, you know, hired writers. But they probably just asked Metzen to do it. Even if you like the plot, I think it's safe to say that the atmosphere of the previous games was effectively ruined. Hearing the big bad in each act constantly shout nonsense at you every few minutes just destroyed any sense of dread or hopelessness. The only time this didn't happen was with Act II, where the Lord of Lies turns out to be, in fact, a terrible liar. When the Butcher shouts "vegetables bad, meat good!" then I think the writers have things ***-backwards.

I also think all of the characters were bad and one-dimensional, and there were a lot of plot-holes. Overall it just felt so half-*****. At the end of it all I was terribly underwhelmed.
I pretty much agree with this.

The only line Diablo said in Diablo 2 was "Not even death can save you from me..." How badass is that?
I couldn't keep track of all the crap he, and act 3 boss, and others said in this game. The sudden holograms in act 3 taunting you and crap was just stuuuupid. You don't really get that hopeless "descending into the depths of hell" feeling you get in Diablo 1.

Speaking of which, I don't mind very much, but I think it's kind of strange how Diablo 3 has a bunch of MASSIVE, ENORMOUS monsters while Diablo 1 and 2 had nothing bigger than like twice the size of a human, lol.

Ugh, one more wizard nerf, must make my 3rd build within the week...
Are there even more hotfixes or something? Where?

Player-3

Smash Hero
I pretty much agree with this.

The only line Diablo said in Diablo 2 was "Not even death can save you from me..." How badass is that?
I couldn't keep track of all the crap he, and act 3 boss, and others said in this game. The sudden holograms in act 3 taunting you and crap was just stuuuupid. You don't really get that hopeless "descending into the depths of hell" feeling you get in Diablo 1.

Speaking of which, I don't mind very much, but I think it's kind of strange how Diablo 3 has a bunch of MASSIVE, ENORMOUS monsters while Diablo 1 and 2 had nothing bigger than like twice the size of a human, lol.

Are there even more hotfixes or something? Where?
i haven't run into anything more than twice the size of my barbarian

them ****ers pretty tall

Top Bottom