• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diablo III: Not even death can save you from me

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
On a side note, I actually enjoy replaying the campaign. The story isn't so heavy and plot-based that replaying it isn't that boring.

Except Act 1. Act 1 is boring as **** -_-

Kal

Smash Champion
Yeah, I have no problem with organic, actual replay value or game length. But when you throw in a "collect seven pieces of the triforce for no reason!" quest at the end of Zelda, I find it more tedious than fun.

I don't enjoy replaying Diablo III's campaign, honestly. Even with a new class I find it repetitive. Get me to Inferno already!

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm pretty calm. I just find it an annoying decision. It's not a lack of attention span; I just don't want to go through the tedium 10 times in order to unlock a single achievement.
This is surprising considering that you play MMORPGs like DC Universe Online. xD How is this game any less repetitive and tedious in that regard?

Just saying, man.

Got your edit. Don't give me the smarty pants smackdown. I cam agree that some games are more enjoyable to go through than others despite repetition!

Smooth Criminal

Kal

Smash Champion
This isn't an MMO. It's also not really relevant, since I haven't said I'm ok with any of that repetition in DCUO.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Welllllllllllllllllllll...

It's the same sorta carrot-and-stick progression system. Just heavily instanced and on a much smaller scale.

And, uh, I can infer something like that without you having to say anything about DCUO. Can't I?

Smooth Criminal

Kal

Smash Champion
The fact that I play DCUO doesn't mean I'm ok with every single aspect of the game. DCUO also has a very short (like 14 hour at most) progression to maximum level, and you aren't typically expected to roll more than one character anyway. I'm still not ok with the repetitiveness of being forced to run the same instances over and over for marks in order to acquire better gear in order to run harder content, which is the reason I tend to quit MMOs after a few weeks. I am currently not subscribed to DCUO.

However, if the repetitiveness is fun, I would complain less. I just don't find running through the low-level content in Diablo III fun.

Kal

Smash Champion
i luh u 2.

I'm finding the repetitiveness less tedious by listening to show tunes.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Any ideas for a lv44 WD build? I figured out you can use as many primary/secondary/etc skills as you want (total newb) so that changed everything. Been using Bats/Firebombs with Spirit Walk and Summons/Sacrifice. Wondered if I was missing some cool build that utilizes more Spirit moves or something.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
For people thinking the game is too hard on inferno, Kripp can currently beat diablo on inferno with 5 stacks a NV. That's crazy considering people were saying barb is the weakest class in inferno and it was literally impossible to even do act 2 with one.

People are just going to have to have top tier gear before all of inferno is viable really, and I like this.
I never believed barb is too **** for anything. The general people's opinions are very scrubbish and they do not understand the true depth of a character. I was doing fine so far, you just need good gear.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
i luh u 2.
You're just saying that 'cause you like being right, Kal. It's okay though. Somebody has to be smart here, right? And be able to speak their mind clearly and concisely, to boot?

I still think my comparison between the gear progression/repetitious formula of a MMO is still valid, whether or not you're subscribed to some shoddy POS put out by SoE.

BUT, OPINIONS! WHATEVER. I respect yours.

In other news, I just started a Monk for the hell of it despite not getting anywhere on my WD "main." Yes, I put "main" in quotations. I'm actually enjoying clicking buttons on a Monk more than I am on my WD, which is kinda weird considering that the WD is kinda-sorta like the necromancer from D2, and that was my favorite class in the game.

...I think my alt-itis from WoW has carried over. >_> Whatever, though. Monk da bess.

Smooth Criminal

Kal

Smash Champion
DCU Online is fantstic, man. It's not shoddy, just unpolished. And I agree that the comparison works; if you actually enjoy that sort of gear progression, there is nothing to complain about nerfing the Azmodan runs. But I don't particularly enjoy that sort of gear progression (and instead spend most of my time just running through as much content as possible).

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
You're just saying that 'cause you like being right, Kal. It's okay though. Somebody has to be smart here, right? And be able to speak their mind clearly and concisely, to boot?

I still think my comparison between the gear progression/repetitious formula of a MMO is still valid, whether or not you're subscribed to some shoddy POS put out by SoE.

BUT, OPINIONS! WHATEVER. I respect yours.

In other news, I just started a Monk for the hell of it despite not getting anywhere on my WD "main." Yes, I put "main" in quotations. I'm actually enjoying clicking buttons on a Monk more than I am on my WD, which is kinda weird considering that the WD is kinda-sorta like the necromancer from D2, and that was my favorite class in the game.

...I think my alt-itis from WoW has carried over. >_> Whatever, though. Monk da bess.

Smooth Criminal
WHY Y U NO ADD ME YET? :mad:

Played with ODIN a bit earlier today.

Double Monk is too broken.

Can't wait to play with ya again.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Everything is "just the rules of the game." It's a useless fallback that prevents any form of criticism: if everything gave 1 Experience Point and it ended up taking over one-hundred hours to reach the maximum level, it would still be "just the rules of the game." But this doesn't make it useful or enjoyable.
Its a game. What one person finds enjoyable is subjective. If you don't enjoy the game, don't play.

It's also totally nonsensical to pretend that "working hard" to get to 60 is what determines your character's value. Different players will value things differently. Again, this is an example of someone thinking "my opinion is how everyone should play." But that's not how it works for me, and anyone else who enjoys end-game content (whose existence exactly contradicts the notion that working hard to get to the maximum level is relevant to the value of a character). The value of my characters, to me, is from their gear and their completion of end-game content.
So if you turned on the game and you had every character at level 60 with the best possible gear you would value the character's properties the same as if you had spent hundreds of hours learning the ins and outs of the character while leveling and upgrading your equipment? I don't think so. As soon as you have completed everything there is to complete, the fun of the game is over. It is not the end point that matters, it is the journey.

And really, reiterating that it's Blizzard's intention doesn't change anything. Of course it's Blizzard's intention. It's still total bull ****.
Again, if you don't enjoy the game the way the game developers made it, don't play it.

Blow me, Mr. Strawman.
Yes sir, Dr. Asshat

Kal

Smash Champion
Its a game. What one person finds enjoyable is subjective. If you don't enjoy the game, don't play.
Hey, the same strawman argument you used earlier.

So if you turned on the game and you had every character at level 60 with the best possible gear you would value the character's properties the same as if you had spent hundreds of hours learning the ins and outs of the character while leveling and upgrading your equipment? I don't think so. As soon as you have completed everything there is to complete, the fun of the game is over. It is not the end point that matters, it is the journey.
No, but if I could just start at 60 and still work toward acquiring all of the best possible gear, I would value the character about as much as a character who started at 1 with none of the gear. The point, again, is that the progression from 1 to 60 is not valuable to me. Getting from 1 to 60 isn't a challenge, and doesn't display any actual proficiency on my end. It just shows that I'm willing to go through the motions.

If it's valuable to you, you don't need to power level your character. But what you're saying is "what's valuable to me should be valuable to you."

Again, if you don't enjoy the game the way the game developers made it, don't play it.
Again, the same strawman.

Yes sir, Dr. Asshat
As if me being a jerkass is some big news.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
This argument is looking less and less like something that belongs in this thread.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Everyone being a ******* aside, I need help.

I've been running Mantra of Healing for a long time now, but I'll be starting Hell soon and that 120-something HP per second healing isn't going to cut it. Should I be just losing that mantra altogether for something like conviction or what? I was playing with ODIN and I tried conviction, but I felt like I couldn't tank as well when I took it off since my only source of HP was Transcendence and something like 80hp per second regen from one of my armor pieces.

Here's my loadout: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aegiTQ!YXU!ZZaYbZ

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Kal, usually you're pretty smart, but you're kinda being dumb. Firstly, there was no strawman in what you quoted. Second, the point is that the creators of the game are the ones that choose what is valuable. If you don't like what the creators are valuing, don't play. I'm not saying that I am looking forward to grinding for 30 more hours for a lvl 60 monk or wizard, but i enjoy it enough to do it when the time comes

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629

I've been running Mantra of Healing for a long time now, but I'll be starting Hell soon and that 120-something HP per second healing isn't going to cut it. Should I be just losing that mantra altogether for something like conviction or what? I was playing with ODIN and I tried conviction, but I felt like I couldn't tank as well when I took it off since my only source of HP was Transcendence and something like 80hp per second regen from one of my armor pieces.

When I'm not half-asleep, I'll be happy to offer my two cents on this.

Kal

Smash Champion
Kal, usually you're pretty smart, but you're kinda being dumb. Firstly, there was no strawman in what you quoted. Second, the point is that the creators of the game are the ones that choose what is valuable. If you don't like what the creators are valuing, don't play. I'm not saying that I am looking forward to grinding for 30 more hours for a lvl 60 monk or wizard, but i enjoy it enough to do it when the time comes
First, yes, it's a strawman. No one is discussing whether I should play the game. I'm not arguing that, if I dislike the game altogether, I should still play it. That's not relevant to the discussion we're having. Your second point just reiterates the first; the creators of the game dictate everything. My problem isn't with that fact. It's with what they are dictating.

Have you noticed how often you tend to write **** like "you're usually smart, but you're kinda being dumb?" Do you really think it's necessary or useful to preface your arguments with things like this?

GwJumpman, I'd offer help, but I'm not very familiar with the class. Sorry. If you want any help in game, I have a level 60 Demon Hunter. My tag is Kal#1572.

Wave, since the discussion is about Diablo III, I'd say it's relevant. Though the usual Smashboards mindset is "if you haven't got anything nice to say, you should remain silent." Opinions and open discussion are ok, as long as it's in favor of whatever is being discussed.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
When the Barbarian is talking with his companions and helps them with their little problems, it kind of ruins my immersion.

The Barbarian should tell them to suck it up, be a man, and shut the hell up

Kal

Smash Champion
I play the female Barbarian with the sound off. I just imagine everything she is saying is along the lines of "me quick want slow!"

rokimomi

Smash Lord
I figured out why they don't start you on Inferno or Hell, players wouldnt know what the monsters look like otherwise, they're always outside the screen when you attack, EYO!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
First, yes, it's a strawman. No one is discussing whether I should play the game. I'm not arguing that, if I dislike the game altogether, I should still play it. That's not relevant to the discussion we're having. Your second point just reiterates the first; the creators of the game dictate everything. My problem isn't with that fact. It's with what they are dictating.

Have you noticed how often you tend to write **** like "you're usually smart, but you're kinda being dumb?" Do you really think it's necessary or useful to preface your arguments with things like this?
If you have a problem with what they are dictating, either play another game or shut up. That has been my argument the whole time. There is no strawman in that logic. Please review what a strawman is.

Generally, i try to give you the benefit of the doubt in that you are usually smart. I guess you're right, though, you are definitely dumb more often than you are smart. I will no longer give you this benefit.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Hey dphat, what are you running on your Wizard after the Critical Mass nerf? I've had mild success using Temporal Flux with Seeker Magic Missile / Tap the Source Arcane Orb / Disintegrate kiting while Venom Hydra does silly damage.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Kal if you don't like grinding 1 to 60, play hardcore. Much more challenging to do it.

I'm now starting Act 2 nightmare on hardcore.. getting dangerous.....

Kal

Smash Champion
If you have a problem with what they are dictating, either play another game or shut up. That has been my argument the whole time. There is no strawman in that logic. Please review what a strawman is.
Look, I am not discussing whether I should play the god damn game. It's a discussion forum, made for discussing the ****ing game. Whether I should play the game if I have a problem with it has nothing to do with what is being discussed. I didn't come in saying "I don't like what they did with Azmodan runs, should I play the game?" I came in with "I don't like what they did with Azmodan runs." "Well just don't play the game" is entirely separate and has nothing to do with the discssion. Dismissing my entire point with an irrelevant line of logic is exactly a strawman argument. You need to review what a strawman is.

Generally, i try to give you the benefit of the doubt in that you are usually smart. I guess you're right, though, you are definitely dumb more often than you are smart. I will no longer give you this benefit.
The guy who feels the need to underline his first paragraph, then bold his second paragraph, without even understanding the concept of a ****ing strawman, is calling me stupid.

Kal if you don't like grinding 1 to 60, play hardcore. Much more challenging to do it.

I'm now starting Act 2 nightmare on hardcore.. getting dangerous.....
Yeah, I agree that it's more challenging with Hardcore, though I also bet that after you've done it the first time the value diminishes significantly. In my opinion, the best way to handle this is to simply remove the level restrictions for Nightmare and Hell after you've beaten Hell Act IV the first time, so that players are forced to experience the challenge the first time, but can choose what to do for runs afterward.

I'm also not a fan of Hardcore. The idea of investing all of this time into a character I could lose because of a slip-up or, even worse, a lag-spike just does not appeal to me.

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bTgXik!YXU!ZaabYa

This is what I currently use, and let me explain why;

We know you're using a single weapon and shield.

Keen Eye helps make you a better tank. Every third hit buffs your armor by 50% for 4 seconds.

Currently, Seven Sided Strike is for heavy mobs or great single target DPS. The Teleport rune on it is to rush there quickly, and can be useful if teammates get into a bind.

Serenity is obvious. You need a few things that will heal, and your "OH ****; BUBBLE!" is exactly that. Use when you're in a jail, frozen, or even if your health is really low. The extra healing helps in that regard.

Breath of Heaven is great for healing, and with the Blazing Wrath rune, we now deal more damage too. CD isn't so bad on it.

Sweeping Wind with Inner Storm we discussed. 3rd stack gives Spirit Gen. Raise your crit chance as much as possible, when possible (but try to not sacrifice armor).

Mantra of Conviction with Overawe is also as we discussed. With Overawe, your damage for the first 3 seconds is 48% more to targets within 20 yards. Helps your team out too.

With the Passives "One with Everything, Seize the Initiative, and Transcendence", you will have buffed Resistances, MORE armor, and you'll be healing everytime you cast MoC, along with any other Spirit using skill.

I've had a lot of success with this build so far. I'm about to start Hell, Act1, so we'll see if it's still usable. I see no reason why it shouldn't be.

Kal

Smash Champion
Hey ODIN, what is your Real ID? It's not in the first post.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Look, I am not discussing whether I should play the god damn game. It's a discussion forum, made for discussing the ****ing game. Whether I should play the game if I have a problem with it has nothing to do with what is being discussed. I didn't come in saying "I don't like what they did with Azmodan runs, should I play the game?" I came in with "I don't like what they did with Azmodan runs." "Well just don't play the game" is entirely separate and has nothing to do with the discssion. Dismissing my entire point with an irrelevant line of logic is exactly a strawman argument. You need to review what a strawman is.
A strawman is a misrepresentation of a position, which means it necessarily deals with the premises of an argument. In this case, the part you have a problem with is in the consequent, which means it is not a strawman by definition. Perhaps non sequitur is what you were looking for?

Top Bottom