• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Honestly, I would like to get into digital art but it doesn't pay strongly and I cannot actually draw. =(

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Even though it's old af I'm totally replying regarding the roleplays

I resent The Cold and anything like it being called "an RP"

"An RP" is just writing prose through the lens of a character in a collaborative manner. In my opinion it's not much fun because all you're doing is collaborating on a story with no central drive, or basis, no form, no theme tying it together, all that. And if the players create their own characters they usually end up being animeish self-inserts with purple spiky hair and katanas.

The Cold, and its predecessors Batman: We Own the Knight, The Infection, The Fog, and to a lesser extent The Thing were roleplaying games. Emphasis on the game part. The point is to achieve objectives that are generally well-defined, simply with a great deal of freedom. Ever play Mass Effect? In the first game in particular, you had an overarching mission to accomplish, a trillion discoverable side missions, and had absolute power over literally everything your character says or does. This is just taking that idea and stretching it to its absolute limit to provide the most freeform RPG there is.

The only writing a player does is writing dialogue - not for the sake of dialogue, but communication. Other than that, players take action, which is different. The mod resolves the actions and tells people what actually happens. This central control might be the most important difference from what I think of when I hear people talk about this site they RP on or whatever.

If anything the "you're playing a character that's dumber than yourself" worry is lampshaded by having every character have more skills than the person IRL playing them. I doubt Maven knows much about meteorology or Werekill much about geology IRL, but they have that expertise to tap into in The Cold -- in addition to whatever knowledge they have as a person IRL.

tldr it's streamlined dungeons & dragons but with less nerdy themes and way more subterfuge usually

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Okay I'm actually considering finding a way DGames can make money together.

Does anyone here have any talents that work over long distances?

E.g., I can do basic web development/upkeep, code in C# for Unity3D, can work with most basic software like MS Office, can do data analysis,etc., = long distance approved talents

Bad e.g., I can make candles, which doesn't translate well into an online environment
I'm an amateur graphic designer!

..yeh

:186:

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
That doesn't excuse you from posting your stuff.
Almost forgot.

I did not actually draw the silhouettes, rather I found some pictures and I turned them into silhouettes.

And this one is just random colors, sort of inspired by Nujabes because that's what I was listening to when I made it.

Last edited:
It's damn good ****

soup teach me your ways
1) Take character image/vector/[jargon]
2) Create highlights out of white on various parts of the character design for contrast
3) Take [cool scenic image]
4) Create clipping mask over character image/vector/[jargon] with [cool scenic image]
5) Move highlights over clipping mask
6) Add [Photoshop effects] to the background
7) Add filters as needed

Pretty sure I see a subtle lens flare in there too but it's not necessary.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Okay I'm actually considering finding a way DGames can make money together.

Does anyone here have any talents that work over long distances?

E.g., I can do basic web development/upkeep, code in C# for Unity3D, can work with most basic software like MS Office, can do data analysis,etc., = long distance approved talents

Bad e.g., I can make candles, which doesn't translate well into an online environment
I work IT and as a freelance event organizer. I have solid communication skills and understand how to effectively relay information over the phone or through text as well as face-to-face. I also come packing a very solid grasp of basic software like Office, along with a basic (VERY basic) understanding of Java and C#, and a more functional knowledge of HTML. I work well with remote accessing software.

That's about all I've got over distance other than a love of travel.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
Are we doing a thing?

I have a broad digital skill set including audio and video recording, computer graphics, digital drawing, creative writing, editing (anything), voice acting, and translation. My bread and butter is programming, which I've done in multiple languages, environments, and fields, with a focus on assembly-level optimization.

My field is not useful ever unless you want to start a new country and develop a criminal justice system

DGamesia the micronation?
Does anyone here have experience with the creation or maintenance of artificial islands? Because this should really be on the table.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
If we build an island nation I want laundry to spend the rest of his natural life sculpting statues of me and gLife lifting heavy things and other similar feats. Just, non stop. Every ten or so feet, statue

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
1000 years will pass and when archaeologists of the next millenium come to visit the island nation of dgamesia, they'll find these statues of Glyfe and EE and think they were tributes to a pair of gods.

:186:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If we build an island nation I want laundry to spend the rest of his natural life sculpting statues of me and gLife lifting heavy things and other similar feats. Just, non stop. Every ten or so feet, statue
No joke, this is basically what happened when those statues (they ain't just heads) were created. The massive felling of trees used to carry said sculptures around basically destroyed the island's fauna and the populous died.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
That's exactly why the supplies and life sustenance will be brought to laundry and he'll just live exactly where the final resting place of a statue will be until it is completed. We'll learn our lessons.

Vult Redux

Smash Lord
NNID
Voluero
i can make tests that accurately and fairly assess someone's level of English and/or someone's knowledge/skills/abilities pertaining to the job responsibilities of a police officer or firefighter

oops i'm useless

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
All-round game developer (design, production, programming, 3D art) with a primary focus on combat system design and C# Unity programming and way too much experience in a lead role compared to my specialization. Minor skills in other areas (2D animation, video editing, planning strategies such as agile/scrum).

I'm also good at watching anime I'm about 400 in by now not counting hentai.

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
All-round game developer (design, production, programming, 3D art) with a primary focus on combat system design and C# Unity programming and way too much experience in a lead role compared to my specialization. Minor skills in other areas (2D animation, video editing, planning strategies such as agile/scrum).

I'm also good at watching anime I'm about 400 in by now not counting hentai.
Dude WTF, I'm about to release a VR puzzle game on steam.

You should have told me >:[

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Oh legit? VR is super interesting and there's a lot of rendering optimizations to be made in most engines + ofc the cool new design implications. Let me know if its on there, I'll be sure to check it out :D

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Oh legit? VR is super interesting and there's a lot of rendering optimizations to be made in most engines + ofc the cool new design implications. Let me know if its on there, I'll be sure to check it out :D
Do you have a Vive?

And yeah, I've spent the last like 3 days just on optimization. It is rough stuff. I was only hitting like 70 FPS on my gaming rig and Vive requires minimum 90 FPS to alleviate motion sickness.

If you ever want to collaborate on a game, I've spent time in both 2D and 3D worlds. 3D is a bit easier imo due to the larger number of assets on the asset store and how well Shuriken fits into the 3D world, but am comfortable with both now. Typically do game design and C# programming, have strayed from art.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
How would you compare Vive to its competitors? I'd consider getting one.
If it doesn't have roomscale, it isn't VR.

Like if anyone ever says "Hey, try this VR thing" and then hands me an Xbox controller I'd be upset. The difference is so profound it is nigh unimaginable to go back once you've tried it.

You will definitely be an "early adopter" if you buy a Vive, but I'd still highly recommend it if you have the discretionary income available. I'm hoping to offset the cost of my Vive by selling a game, and then moving on from there.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Do you have a Vive?

And yeah, I've spent the last like 3 days just on optimization. It is rough stuff. I was only hitting like 70 FPS on my gaming rig and Vive requires minimum 90 FPS to alleviate motion sickness.

If you ever want to collaborate on a game, I've spent time in both 2D and 3D worlds. 3D is a bit easier imo due to the larger number of assets on the asset store and how well Shuriken fits into the 3D world, but am comfortable with both now. Typically do game design and C# programming, have strayed from art.
2D art really is the struggle nowadays for smaller games. Even pixel art, while it does save time, is quite an investment. Abstract games are often the go-to for most indie projects. 3D helps a lot because 3D lends itself very well to programmer art like simple particle effects / cube emission.

I don't have a Vive unfortunately but had hands on experience with most VR kits and Vive is, imo, by far the best hardware to get in terms of VR rn.

Collaborating sounds cool! Will have to put that on hold if anything rn though as I try to get my living situation figured out. However should I ever want to do anything I'll be sure to shoot you a message. :D

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If you're a hard worker, definitely hit me up. My general philosophy is to work twice as long as others. When a group says "it took me 4 months to get to alpha", that typically means "it took us 4 months of working 8-20 hours a week". If they did it in like 16 weeks, that's 128 to 320 hours total.

320 hours at 8 hours a day, every day = 40 days, or about 6 weeks. That's nearly 1/3rd the time!

It has worked out well for me in the past. When working with groups I typically "work ahead" really far, then wait for them to catch up. This lets me juggle multiple projects at once.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Oh hey. Look where I stumbled. Dgames.

Are we talking about making money with each other still? I can lend myself toward any finance and accounting stuff. I haven't gotten any programming skills yet. Working on python for what it's worth. And we can rope in @Omni to do accounting and PR. I promise I do not have any ties to the mafia and will not launder any money away.

Holy crap. I'm almost to my 11 year Smashboards anniversary.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
I'm good at getting depressed and wallowing around in it. Like Xonar, I'm also pretty good at watching anime and hentai.

I have several minors in various programming and IT related skills. I have a moderate understanding of the C and Java programming languages, although it's been awhile and I could always know more. I also feel pretty comfortable with HTML and CSS, plus I'll be learning Javascript before the end of the year. Ummm . . . my main area of interest though is networking. I've configured routers, switches, have set up small networks, and even have physically made an Ethernet cable (it's actually not hard at all). I know a bunch of academic terms, although I'm not quite sure how to actually use them. Perhaps it just nice to know what's going on behind the curtains of the stuff you're working with. Main important thing I need to learn is how to trouble shoot. Am aiming to get my CCENT soonish.

Oh also I still work at McDonalds, so I can flip burgers and get into fights with customers. I'll be the Dgame island fast food cook when all that dumb IT stuff falls through.

Top Bottom