• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
I guess since I'm feeling sentimental and might have been talking with Ranmaru about potential hydra names for a Ran/Laundry hydra should it ever come to pass, I'll talk a bit about my wonderful mafia experience and how it's brought me some of the best friends I've ever met.

Not counting the random game I played on Gaia Online when I was around 13, my real mafia playing career began 8 years ago (sup Soup) on General Silliness when one Sprite, now Vult Redux, opened a thread for it as a fun sort of thing. Not realizing what it was until the game was on D2 I think, I volunteered to replace, somehow got replaced in, and then ended up winning the game for town because I figured out everyone's alignment thanks to private communication. We were extremely bad at mafia at the time, but that's okay, it was fun and I was immediately hooked, and so was the rest of GS. Sprite's second game started like 4 months later, filled almost immediately, and ran to completion in about two weeks.

From that point forward, we blew through 9 games that got progressively bigger and bigger, roping in nearly all of GS' active members and gaining more that were coming simply for mafia. I don't even remember them all from how quickly they passed. I remembered WW3 because I hosted it. It had some weird desert theme and it's the origin of my love for the Plant role as I added it on a whim and a single player triggered it 4 times in a 5 phase game (he's still referred to as Plant Bait to this day, though most people call him PB or Peebs now). I remember WW4 as that one was the one where we realized private communication was ****ing bonkers and said never again. I think I hosted WW5 but I honestly don't remember it. WW6-9 are a blur though I remember losing to a Jesus Christ role in WW8 as mafia.

So then comes WW10, which is by far and away the most ambitious set-up I have ever ****ing seen. Crafted by Dacidbro (same guy), it was a 31 man set-up that featured a ****ton of alignment-changing, wincon-changing, bull**** roles, and general insanity. I remember walking into that game as a third party group with two other guys with the win condition of "make the mod laugh". The alignment's name was "ForTehLulz" and we got points every time we managed to accomplsih our win condition. On gaining enough points, our real wincon was revealed though I don't remember what it was, something kinda weak like "kill x people and then survive" or something. That'd be ****ing stupid in current DGames, but that was mild in comparison to the rest of the game. The initial mafia was effectively a pseudo-mafia that got revealed because one of them killed herself D1 and revealed they were a scapegoat inadvertedly. The actual mafia was actually some weird infectatious thing where if you tried to target Sprite (specifically Sprite) to kill him, you got infected and changed alignment to the Sprite alignment. This quickly became the actual mafia after like a phase where he recruited 3 people at once.

Why this game matters, despite being one of my favorite games all time simply due to its sheer ridiculousness, is because it's the first game I remember ever playing with a guy by the name of Ryker. Before that, I should mention that by this point in time, the notion of a "Big 3" had popped up around GS surrounding what everyone believed were its 3 best players: Sprite, Dacid, and myself. Ryker replaced into WWX shortly before I was NKed, saw this notion being tossed around in thread, and said "**** that."

The next game was WW11, Sprite's Pokemafia. Like WWX, it was ****ing bonkers. Items were in the game, abilities were in the game, roles were basically just moves limited to a certain number of shots via PP, Pokemon could evolve, and the mafia was split into two teams. Either through RNG or Sprite trying to influence it via modding, Dacid and I were the most two important roles on Team Galactic and, as the game turned out, Ryker was one of them on the other team. We lost.

From that point forward was the first real rival I've ever had in mafia. Dacidbro and Sprite would push me to get better but neither were players I'd consider a rival, not in the sense that Drew was. We would fight in game, constantly pushing each other to beat the other. I definitely remember one pair of games where I drew Indy in both and Drew nailed me early D1 in both (**** both of those games by the way). This constant aggression from a guy refusing to accept the Big 3 was what truly drove me to be a better player for the first time in my mafia career.

Despite this, he was also one of the people I saw on a daily basis. Around this time was when the GS Skype Group popped up and we were having calls every day to hang out and build the community. Through that, I built what is probably my longest lasting and strongest bond I have ever gotten through the internet.

It should be no surprise to you that the very same Ryker is the reason I ended up here. Towards the end of my first year of college, I got a call from Ryker like I would get occasionally when he hadn't heard from me in awhile and in it, he told me how he had started playing mafia here and how he liked the people here (GS had started to go downhill by this point and games weren't really the same, though I can think of a few memorable ones from before its inevitable decline). He told me of a few games, in particular his absolute sorcery in pulling off the most bull**** dayvig claim to exist as Radical Fiction in Dissidia Mafia and asked me to check this place out. Not long after, I replaced into J's Resident Evil Mafia, experienced Chibo at his finest, and had found a new mafia playing home.

Let me be straight with you guys: I am for the most part retired, despite my itch to play. I love this game but it frustrates me too much and eats up too much of my time for me to consider playing it. I will gladly play as a hydra but with such a limited player count, I don't think that will happen. That said, despite the headaches you guys have given me and the higher blood pressure, I would not have stuck around for this long had Drew not been right about it being a good place to play. Even when I'm butting heads with you guys, this is still a fantastic community and I'm glad to have been a part of it these last 5 years. Through this place or the people who I've met here, I've made some good friendships that are going to last me a long time and I can't say I would've gotten them had it not been for mafia. It's been a big part of my life and through it, so have you guys. Thanks for playing with me.

:186:

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Also I just realized the sheer number of GS players that came over here. Off the top of my head, that's myself, Drew, Vult (Sprite), Nabe, Fanny, GLG, and Doopliss now hanging around because Sprite asked him to. We've also had appearances by Magic Magnum, Traveling Cat, and Shinarouji in the past though they didn't stick around. This also isn't including the entire Mayling family, Stew, and Joey, who we had the pleasure of meeting in an ill-fated KY Smash vs GS mafia game, though I don't know if they were here first and just were on AiB for some reason or if they started there and came here. Honestly, all you're missing is one David Broweleit and two guys named Revenant and Tizoc and you have all of our best players having shown up here at one point or another.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Other quick hits before I disappear into the aether again:

-This place is super talented. Yeh, we've got our knuckleheads but so does everyone else. A lot of regulars here would've been top players on other sites. Don't get why Zen and Soup are arguing against it by saying "well what makes a good player" when you guys have both witnessed and are to your own credit good players and should know this. I think the only place we'd struggle is mafiascum due to the sheer number and lengthy history the site has.

-DGames becoming AGames would be fun as ****. GLyfe ran a mini one for a few of us to try and it was a lot of fun. If they weren't such a pain in the ass to mod and require so much more effort, you'd probably see it happen.

-I still own Sm4sh but I haven't touched it in months. Hard to stay motivated despite being close to Ann Arbor and MI Smash as a result when I don't have someone 5 minutes away I can practice with. That may change soon.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Vult if you're ever down to play, I'd love to play with you ;). Open invitation to anyone else as well.

On a related note, I have a decisive game that I've wanted to run for a long time which is centered around smash (or any other vs game). That's why I ask.

Laundry I didn't mean to come off as argumentative. I just wanted to promote a critical look at the situation, mostly for my own sake, as it's been something I've been mulling over. Spak's and soup's points were things I hadn't considered, and I think they are spot on.

On another related note, I've been playing over on @Thingyman 's site and I have to say I really enjoy it. I highly encourage anyone who's not yet ready to retire from mafia to give it a shot.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Fun chatting with you laundry. I am also playing on the site. I am glad I met you guys. Things have slowed down but dgames is a part of me.

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Vult if you're ever down to play, I'd love to play with you ;). Open invitation to anyone else as well.

On a related note, I have a decisive game that I've wanted to run for a long time which is centered around smash (or any other vs game). That's why I ask.

Laundry I didn't mean to come off as argumentative. I just wanted to promote a critical look at the situation, mostly for my own sake, as it's been something I've been mulling over. Spak's and soup's points were things I hadn't considered, and I think they are spot on.

On another related note, I've been playing over on @Thingyman 's site and I have to say I really enjoy it. I highly encourage anyone who's not yet ready to retire from mafia to give it a shot.
Is it a primarily open set-up site?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Here's my sentimental story, I randomly showed up in dgames one day to play mafia which i had played irl before and then I decided to stick around for a bit so here I am.

:059:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Gheb hugged me irl as soon as he met me and also gheb is never salty.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Also, I hope you all cried at my sentimental story because I've poured every bit of emotion left in my rotten soul into it.

:059:

Orboknown

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure i got here through some other dude from another site and accidentally found dgames and ee/glyfe ran the most asinine lylo ever in laundrys gigabots lr whatever maf and then i got hooked. Great community

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I just got invited by M3D to play his TMNT mafia, won that game, and then stuck aroudn because I had time to kill at work

no longer have said time

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
i dont know how i stumbled upon dgames, but i used to try being a competitive brawler when i was 12-13 on aib and then transitioned here (actually hosted a tourney in my old garage when i was 14 by posting it on aib and someone recommending i host it on swf too. ****in nickriddle, seibrik, mvd and porkchops (a really good snake main) were there.) at one random point, 7 years ago, while going on brawl forums every now and then, i wanted to play something like the old aim game cry wolf. something led me to dgames and i posted a thread about wanting to play it. someone told me it dont work like that and to sign up in the queue for it (WHAT A BLAST FROM THE PAST AMIRITE), and for SOME reason i decided to /in taco mafia. y'all know the rest of the story :)

Last edited:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
You guys advertised in the mario section and terywij was like 'yo join' and I got hooked because I was mafia. I stayed for the aimmafia.

Vult Redux

Smash Lord
NNID
Voluero
my real mafia playing career began 8 years ago (sup Soup) on General Silliness when one Sprite, now Vult Redux, opened a thread for it as a fun sort of thing. Not realizing what it was until the game was on D2 I think, I volunteered to replace, somehow got replaced in, and then ended up winning the game for town because I figured out everyone's alignment thanks to private communication. We were extremely bad at mafia at the time, but that's okay, it was fun and I was immediately hooked, and so was the rest of GS. Sprite's second game started like 4 months later, filled almost immediately, and ran to completion in about two weeks.
i feel like the mom of mafia

i like nostalgic and sentimental stuff like this; thanks for sharing. please chat me up more on skype i miss you

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Vult Redux Vult Redux the next logical step in your career is to play an AGame

Whaddaya know I just so happen to know of one that needs replacements for roles of varying timesink levels!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I could never get into any sort of roleplay.

For one, I'm amazing and role playing as anyone or anything else is diminishing.

Second, in the back of my head I'm always just like "we all know this is not real. Why are people acting this way. I do not understand."

It's something that I think would be fun if it worked. But if you're roleplaying someone stupid then ultimately what you're doing is "playing dumb" and not acting on information that you already know you have and waiting for some sort of pre-determined trigger to allow you to use info you already know!

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I played a mafia game in disco room with Xiivi invited me to try it out and I did which proceeded to one of the most crazy set-ups I have ever seen. Made me come to DGames to play Fire Emblem mafia where Overswarm was the leader of our mafia team and we proceeded to win while I somehow never got lynched despite me posting some of the most scummy stuff ever.

That is mostly how I ended up here.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
i remember that dr game, i think quite a few former dgamers came from random dr mafia games (asdioh is the only other one that comes to my head)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I played a mafia game in disco room with Xiivi invited me to try it out and I did which proceeded to one of the most crazy set-ups I have ever seen. Made me come to DGames to play Fire Emblem mafia where Overswarm was the leader of our mafia team and we proceeded to win while I somehow never got lynched despite me posting some of the most scummy stuff ever.

That is mostly how I ended up here.
That's because Zen was lynched and then in the end OS buddied me and said something to me and in that moment took back his null or whatever and used it to lynch me. I don't even know what he said and don't even know what I was really lynched by. I don't want to read it. Fourth game ever, I should not have replaced. I was not experienced enough.

Last edited:

Maven89

Smash Master
I could never get into any sort of roleplay.

For one, I'm amazing and role playing as anyone or anything else is diminishing.

Second, in the back of my head I'm always just like "we all know this is not real. Why are people acting this way. I do not understand."

It's something that I think would be fun if it worked. But if you're roleplaying someone stupid then ultimately what you're doing is "playing dumb" and not acting on information that you already know you have and waiting for some sort of pre-determined trigger to allow you to use info you already know!
At least for this RP, it's mainly a game that you RP in. You still work to your win conditions, you just try to act talk like your character, and your win conditions are normally based on your character. Someone who runs a shop might have a win condition to make so much money, so the player has to try and get people to shop at his store. Or I guess he could just steal it from another player, if he can justify why his character is doing that. From what I've seen it's more like your character is an outline of a person, and you fill it in however you want, mainly with yourself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom