• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I could never get into any sort of roleplay.

For one, I'm amazing and role playing as anyone or anything else is diminishing.

Second, in the back of my head I'm always just like "we all know this is not real. Why are people acting this way. I do not understand."

It's something that I think would be fun if it worked. But if you're roleplaying someone stupid then ultimately what you're doing is "playing dumb" and not acting on information that you already know you have and waiting for some sort of pre-determined trigger to allow you to use info you already know!
For me personally whenever I have done this. I let myself accept all of these cons you have described and go along with it. If I went with a combat cactus, I did it and wrote a Bio for it. I love to do different roles and see what I could do with them and see what I could do and be as a person.

Maybe because I used to do acting in middle school/High school but in general I did love the idea of playing different roles even if I do acknowledge in the end I wanted to be myself over anything else like you suggested here.

Roleplaying to me is a game where you pretend or try to act as something else for one reason or another and it is pretty easy for me personally.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I could never get into any sort of roleplay.

For one, I'm amazing and role playing as anyone or anything else is diminishing.

Second, in the back of my head I'm always just like "we all know this is not real. Why are people acting this way. I do not understand."

It's something that I think would be fun if it worked. But if you're roleplaying someone stupid then ultimately what you're doing is "playing dumb" and not acting on information that you already know you have and waiting for some sort of pre-determined trigger to allow you to use info you already know!
The best way to think of Roleplaying is not that "you are pretending to be this character". That works for some people, but I don't think it actually works for most people. The actual best way is to think, "This is a story that we are all making up as we go along, together. This character is the one I'm in charge of writing for." For me, the easiest way to do that writing is to just look at the situation your character is in, and go, "Ok I've read a lot of books, watched a lot of movies/tv shows, etc. If this was someone else's thing, this is what I would think is going to happen." and just play my part in getting there.

Last edited:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
What he said.

Also, I continue to subjugate myself to creating cases or ISO's of people without a damn mouse. Damn I need a mouse. I'm really tired.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Ever made an absolutely awful life decision and ended up unemployed with rent coming up? I have.

Off looking for a job again for the third time this year!

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yes I'm in that situation right now. I feel you bro. Feel free to vent at me too.

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Man, I should start selling something and have you guys act as affiliates and just give you a cut

if I can find something to sell

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I drive for Uber in SF, so I don't have to deal with the sociopolitics of the workplace while being able to pick my own hours. As long as I maintain a good rating, I can't be fired. It's a great gig and pays very well in major cities, and I can turn it off whenever I want for however long I want (I could take a 2 month break and then come back like nothing happened).

Sadly I suspect I will enjoy it a lot more than when I move onto the Big 4 accounting firms, but Big 4 pays more in the long run, so... :(

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I drive for Uber in SF, so I don't have to deal with the sociopolitics of the workplace while being able to pick my own hours. As long as I maintain a good rating, I can't be fired. It's a great gig and pays very well in major cities, and I can turn it off whenever I want for however long I want (I could take a 2 month break and then come back like nothing happened).

Sadly I suspect I will enjoy it a lot more than when I move onto the Big 4 accounting firms, but Big 4 pays more in the long run, so... :(
That and Uber will be entirely autonomous before you retire

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
damn forreal? that sounds like something out of a tv show
Yup, Fox news have been investigating these guys for awhile. They are some shady mother****ers. Here's the story about them taking over where I worked
Funny thing is, when they took over, they spent all kinds of ridiculous money to upgrade the place, like they had infinite money to do whatever the **** they want. Now I see them posting ads trying to sell stuff off, because they are bleeding money. I still hang out with most of the people I worked there with, and every single one of us has looked at what they're doing, and they're basically flushing money down the toilet.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
colleging is the best experience ive probably ever had lol idk the **** life yet but hopefully ill be in music so its not SO **** lol

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I had assumed OS was talking about our situations being poop, not us being defective human beings.

I am still choosing to read it that way because the alternative is ivory towerish as **** and tone deaf in a way that I don't associate him with

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
yo that actually reminds me

im now going to school in jacksonville, fl instead of living in miami, fl. i know im like right next door to ryker now but who else did i move closer to (inb4 literally everybody cuz miami)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I had assumed OS was talking about our situations being poop, not us being defective human beings.

I am still choosing to read it that way because the alternative is ivory towerish as **** and tone deaf in a way that I don't associate him with
Employment is primarily the result of the person (how good you are as a person / good at your job ) + proximity (how big of a play area exists for the profession / how close you and competitors are to job).

As proximity shrinks, the value of the person goes down, surprisingly enough, but often results in greater job security -- if you're a crappy construction worker who does ****ty roofs for a living and one in ten end up leaking, but you're the only one within the "play area" for your profession.

You would expect the value to go UP for an individual. If the play area for the profession is small, then competition must be fierce! May the best man win!

Unfortunately, employment isn't exactly zero sum. You don't need to make the MOST money. You just need to make enough to make your salary somewhat worth it for your employer.

The result is that the ****ty roofer can have another roofer come in, and as long as ****ty roofer makes enough money in his profession to survive / pay for his salary, he maintains his position.

As proximity goes up, the value of the person goes up. This is backwards from how we'd think at first instinct. If an entire planet full of people are applying for a position, the best one gets the job. It doesn't mean there are necessarily more jobs relative to the population. If enough "best ones" exist, they set the tone. Any profession that involves people often moving for said profession will result in higher than average talent because sub-par talent doesn't survive for long with such a crazy hiring process.

Oddly enough, most jobs have been flying one way or another -- an increase or decrease in proximity.

Web programmer? Super large play area, super high person value.

Janitor? Super low play area, super low person value.

If you're in the former category, you have the unlucky situation of being forced to stay at the cutting edge of your employment and you can be somewhat abruptly a poor employee because of what a few random thousand people around the globe are doing. "I'm sorry, you don't know Ruby on Rails? That's what our new system is using..."

If you are in the latter category, you are completely replaceable the moment the number of people possible for your position increases to the point that proximity is no longer "small".

• Housing is high, so most people rent and can leave at a moments notice
  • Transportation is relatively cheap compared to most paychecks, but still expensive enough to cause a drain on finances
  • Population is increasing
  • Unemployment is increasing
  • Pay for positions is decreasing or remaining stagnant in comparison to cost of living increases
  • Most markets are "solved", preventing substantial entrepreneurial investments
  • Money is cheap right now, but only available to those who already have it

The combination of the above means that the "play area" is increasing for any job that is of a mid-range salary or higher. Twenty years ago, no one moves across the country for median income. I'd imagine most in this forum would move to another state for a $50k job now.

The combination of the above ALSO means that a large subset of the unskilled population is out-of-work and looking, meaning that previous "easy to get" jobs that are low skill like construction, labor, custodial service, etc., are now all higher proximity than they once were. "Single mom drives forty minutes for cleaning job" is a death sentence for the guy who lives down the street from it looking to get back on his feet.

In general, the value of the person has gone down, everyone is replaceable, you aren't special, and there's no easy outs. So in short, yeah, the situation for employment in general rather than commentary on the person.

But maybe you guys are ****heads, I dunno.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Employment is primarily the result of the person (how good you are as a person / good at your job ) + proximity (how big of a play area exists for the profession / how close you and competitors are to job).

As proximity shrinks, the value of the person goes down, surprisingly enough, but often results in greater job security -- if you're a crappy construction worker who does ****ty roofs for a living and one in ten end up leaking, but you're the only one within the "play area" for your profession.

You would expect the value to go UP for an individual. If the play area for the profession is small, then competition must be fierce! May the best man win!

Unfortunately, employment isn't exactly zero sum. You don't need to make the MOST money. You just need to make enough to make your salary somewhat worth it for your employer.

The result is that the ****ty roofer can have another roofer come in, and as long as ****ty roofer makes enough money in his profession to survive / pay for his salary, he maintains his position.

As proximity goes up, the value of the person goes up. This is backwards from how we'd think at first instinct. If an entire planet full of people are applying for a position, the best one gets the job. It doesn't mean there are necessarily more jobs relative to the population. If enough "best ones" exist, they set the tone. Any profession that involves people often moving for said profession will result in higher than average talent because sub-par talent doesn't survive for long with such a crazy hiring process.

Oddly enough, most jobs have been flying one way or another -- an increase or decrease in proximity.

Web programmer? Super large play area, super high person value.

Janitor? Super low play area, super low person value.

If you're in the former category, you have the unlucky situation of being forced to stay at the cutting edge of your employment and you can be somewhat abruptly a poor employee because of what a few random thousand people around the globe are doing. "I'm sorry, you don't know Ruby on Rails? That's what our new system is using..."

If you are in the latter category, you are completely replaceable the moment the number of people possible for your position increases to the point that proximity is no longer "small".

• Housing is high, so most people rent and can leave at a moments notice
  • Transportation is relatively cheap compared to most paychecks, but still expensive enough to cause a drain on finances
  • Population is increasing
  • Unemployment is increasing
  • Pay for positions is decreasing or remaining stagnant in comparison to cost of living increases
  • Most markets are "solved", preventing substantial entrepreneurial investments
  • Money is cheap right now, but only available to those who already have it

The combination of the above means that the "play area" is increasing for any job that is of a mid-range salary or higher. Twenty years ago, no one moves across the country for median income. I'd imagine most in this forum would move to another state for a $50k job now.

The combination of the above ALSO means that a large subset of the unskilled population is out-of-work and looking, meaning that previous "easy to get" jobs that are low skill like construction, labor, custodial service, etc., are now all higher proximity than they once were. "Single mom drives forty minutes for cleaning job" is a death sentence for the guy who lives down the street from it looking to get back on his feet.

In general, the value of the person has gone down, everyone is replaceable, you aren't special, and there's no easy outs. So in short, yeah, the situation for employment in general rather than commentary on the person.

But maybe you guys are ****heads, I dunno.
Part of me wants to tell people that some parts of this is wrong in the sense of people can do better and be great in their jobs no matter the position.

But in the other sense, I agree with this a lot.

Why do you do this to me Overswarm!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Wishful thinking is the default state of humanity.

We are wrong. Our goal is to be less wrong.

To do this, you must break things down into fundamental truths and build from there.

When doing this with employment, you can find that, yes, it is your fault that you aren't rich or don't have an awesome job or whatever.

Unfortunately most of that "fault" is the result of being risk averse, wanting to have enjoyment in life past financial success, being unwilling to cut ties to friends and family, and being unwilling to devote 100% of your life to improvement.

Literally any one of you can stop playing video games and other hobbies right now, learn to do some skill that gives you a large play area (like programming), and then become the "top of the field" guy. It'll take years of your life and a non-stop amount of work effort. Literally stopping only for sleeping. Then you can be successful in all sorts of ways.

Your life will just suck, which is why most people don't do it.

So yeah, both of your thoughts are correct. The thought of "you can do it, I believe in you!" is mostly masturbatory though.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Wishful thinking is the default state of humanity.

We are wrong. Our goal is to be less wrong.

To do this, you must break things down into fundamental truths and build from there.

When doing this with employment, you can find that, yes, it is your fault that you aren't rich or don't have an awesome job or whatever.

Unfortunately most of that "fault" is the result of being risk averse, wanting to have enjoyment in life past financial success, being unwilling to cut ties to friends and family, and being unwilling to devote 100% of your life to improvement.

Literally any one of you can stop playing video games and other hobbies right now, learn to do some skill that gives you a large play area (like programming), and then become the "top of the field" guy. It'll take years of your life and a non-stop amount of work effort. Literally stopping only for sleeping. Then you can be successful in all sorts of ways.

Your life will just suck, which is why most people don't do it.

So yeah, both of your thoughts are correct. The thought of "you can do it, I believe in you!" is mostly masturbatory though.
Unfortunately the last sentence is something I will always tell people to make themselves better on. Do I think all will 100% succeed. Nah, but if even one person does something right then I did my job.

Still I think you got the idea, with how I tell people that regardless, but in a sense of I want people to better themselves and find their place in life with what they enjoy and want to do.

That is the word you used it describe earlier, but in a sense of, I believe in other people.

Idk, I am an idealist and Optomistic person so that's mostly where I am with jobs and such.

I don't have words for this in general OS, but in the end, I do enjoy talking about this with you. But I try what I can when I discuss issues like this.

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Okay I'm actually considering finding a way DGames can make money together.

Does anyone here have any talents that work over long distances?

E.g., I can do basic web development/upkeep, code in C# for Unity3D, can work with most basic software like MS Office, can do data analysis,etc., = long distance approved talents

Bad e.g., I can make candles, which doesn't translate well into an online environment

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
#HBC | Mac #HBC | Mac ^

i can make audio through a high quality microphone and can mix vocals. can make youtube vides with background music n ****. i can do stuff with ms office too

Last edited:

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
i accidentally made a post here but hey since i cant delete it heres a cool music vid of original music

Last edited:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I'm currently applying at a place called Epic Health Services. I applied to be a CNA. They gave me an application and this OPEN BOOK TEST. Literally like an exam, took me hours and I took an eating break. Let's see how it goes. I asked for a rate of $15.

BarDulL

Town Vampire

With Nabe's script-writing and Rockin acting as a fluffer, I think we can get something going.

Just kidding, I think this is a neat idea. I already have a gig, but I could write in my spare time. I'm very business oriented (got mah degreez) and I'm good with money, and I do accounting, so sorting out expenses and deductibles etc. would be easy, as well as figuring out how to appeal to a market, getting the business working, yada yada.

Last edited:

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Okay I'm actually considering finding a way DGames can make money together.

E.g., I can do basic web development/upkeep, code in C# for Unity3D, can work with most basic software like MS Office, can do data analysis,etc., = long distance approved talents

Bad e.g., I can make candles, which doesn't translate well into an online environment
i can do full stack webdev

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I'm employed and doing very fine. Not sure if this lazyass, useless eurohead can help you with anything.

:059:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Bad example in all but very few select examples: I am a writer. Lots of people call themselves writers, but I have "the bug" creatively, in the sense that I can't turn it off, ever. Everything I do, see, or experience gets turned into creative stuff in my mind, or pondered on how I would relate the moment via wordsmithery. I'd say a few dozen short stories and novels get written in my head per day. I am trying to even out the difference in physical output but that's quite the unreachable pace

MS Office lolol so original, not

My field is not useful ever unless you want to start a new country and develop a criminal justice system

DGamesia the micronation?

nah

Last edited:

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
I'm pretty good at graphics design and have been making backgrounds as a fun hobby Overswarm Overswarm

Will post some stuff when I get home

Last edited:
Top Bottom