• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
See, I actually DO believe FFT is objectively a much better game, from both a writing and gameplay standpoint.

I've already given the abridged case, which anyone is welcome to disagree with. I don't really have the gumption to argue the point any further.
If it were "objectively" a better game, then no one would disagree with you.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Except this can't be objectively proven.

That said, I don't really see this discussion going anywhere meaningful at this point.

Someone pick a game in my backlog for me to start when I finish Advance Wars! (Preferably handheld, but console is fine too)

http://backloggery.com/Raziek

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
See, I actually DO believe FFT is objectively a much better game, from both a writing and gameplay standpoint.

I've already given the abridged case, which anyone is welcome to disagree with. I don't really have the gumption to argue the point any further.
You are just dumb. However, I guess you are living proof that someone can believe something that is objectively wrong. :gova:

With a matter of taste, you don't have any ground to stand on, regardless of how strongly you feel.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Copy/paste:

Hey folks!

I need a taker to replace into Soup's slot as France (In Diplomacy), as he has NMR'd a few times and is having internet trouble. I will warn you that he is not in the greatest position (probably 2nd worst-off in the game), but it is still possible to get your *** back in the game with some negotiation.

Soup has 4 territories, but missed build phase.

This is the current state of the game, we are in Spring 1902. The current phase ends in 4 days. If you would like to replace in, let me know as soon as possible.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Coming from my viewpoint, this is why the claim looks objective.

You state your opinion on both games. You then say his/our opinion is probably in the minority.

You then say FFT IS the better game. IS implies fact, not opinion. Particularly so when you say "this is the first time I've ever encountered anyone who thought otherwise" which implies someone is challenging what you imply to be a fact.

Ultimately it comes down to the bolded.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
It is a ****ty word. Should stop using it.

That said, some people take feminism way too far. I don't entirely agree on it being consequences of mens claim to power though. Why do fathers have such a low chance to get custody over a mother? You can say it's because men force the trope that women are supposed to stay home and raise the kids, you can also flip it around and say it's because of the masses view on men is skewed as a whole (how often do you hear about women ****** men? women hitting men?) and that's not just because of men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z7nteHMPJ8
http://www.theage.com.au/executive-...ing-on-me-and-help-me-out-20140213-32jur.html
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/26/justice/oklahoma-arrest-death-video/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2014/02/20140221-141943.html
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...d-21/articleshow/29569990.cms?intenttarget=no

The root of these issues is close though I guess. In the end its just inequality.
Sure, there are "extremists" in any movement. But it is quite a leap in logic to use the worst examples within a community to judge the community or its philosophy as a whole.

Why do fathers have such a low chance to get custody over a mother? You can say it's because men force the trope that women are supposed to stay home and raise the kids, you can also flip it around and say it's because of the masses view on men is skewed as a whole (how often do you hear about women ****** men? women hitting men?) and that's not just because of men.
Actually, I would just say it's because, statistically, the men in these situations are much less likely to even want custody of the child and therefor don't fight for it. Because that seems to be the truth. In cases in which the father actually fights for sole custody rights, he actually seems to win pretty often.

I wanna make it clear that I agree with you that the gender binary is ultimately unfair to everyone, not just women. And I also want to make clear that, yes, plenty of women do perpetuate the binary themselves, because they're susceptible to internalizing misogyny just as men are. But it's hard to argue that the world we live in wasn't created by alpha males for alpha males and therefor oppresses females disproportionately. That's ultimately the root of it. The point isn't to blame men for everything; the point is simply to recognize the real problem to pursue the real solution.

Last edited:

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Gorf this post is packed so full of bull**** it could keep my lawn green all winter, so I'm going to respond to the one little part that I think is actually at the crux of why you can't see the forest with all these trees in the way. I don't know what kind of "feminists" you've been talking to, but you've really gotten ****ed up on the issue.

I simply feel like feminism is taken too far. LGB rights ctivists are in a way better position than feminists imo as far as having a respectable ground to fight on.
You're bi, right? Sure is easy to relate to a movement for equal rights when it directly effects you, isn't it? When you're not a member of the group being victimized, nor have many people around you who are and understand it, it is pretty difficult to realize you're actually part of the probelm. It's why well-meaning straight people can look at Ellen Page coming out and get grumpy about the fact that they had to be bothered about a topic that doesn't cater to them, rather than being glad that a person is being honest with themselves and bettering their community as a result, even if it's not a community that they belong to.

And because I can't help myself:
Edit: The woman in Xonar's youtube link used a very good word: Humanist. Feminists believe in rising up, when in reality they're in a MUCH MUCH MUCH better position ( ;) ) than they were back in the day. I'd be surprised if it wasn't a matter of wanting to be better than men, which is ****ing petty.
So your issue is the name? Get over it. Women have it better than they had before? Cool, so do black, brown and gay people. Doesn't mean racism and homophobia have been eradicated. "I wouldn't be surprised if...?" Come back when you have an actual stance rather than just being pissed at a bunch of strawmen.

Obviously these feminists aren't killing people but it's the same concept: a legitimate cause is being taken very out of proportion by a sum of very loud people.
No, but seriously, an eyeroll just doesn't even come close to cutting it. "Obviously they aren't killing people but... they still make me feel bad sometimes. That's the same!"

Last edited:

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
I actually realized that I'm not when I had my ex girlfriend, it was kinda just not being afraid of if I am. Ya just understand more with interaction, you feel me? Other than that I mean you're not going to talk me out of thinking that things have a tendency to be radical when you reflect on the progress we've had as a people man. I don't mean to sound spiteful, I just think that what's happened isn't appreciated, and that, well, change takes time man.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
@ Circus Circus - As people who

A.) Don't have the power to make immediate significant reform.
and B.) Don't run around showing hyper misogynistic tendencies.

Which kind of feminist do you think people like Gorf run into? Is it

A.) The kind that don't care about him much at all.
or B.) The kind that shove it down people's throats.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
The point isn't to blame men for everything; the point is simply to recognize the real problem to pursue the real solution.
The real problem is women as well, and how society pushes feminism their way. When a man has a son, it's his role to teach the son to be a man, but does he also have that same role over his daughter? Nope. (Usually) I'm sure if the dad taught the girl to be like a man, she'd prolly be happier. Prolly.

Feminism is a self-defeating cycle of fail. Girl is born > Realizes boys have ***** > boys feel good about having ***** and peeing in the pee stall with pride [Well, maybe not all, as I'm lazy and sit every time], while girl feels ashamed of having to sit down to pee > Girl doesn't have as much freedom as man (probably less true today) > Girl has a harder time finding her own individuality in comparison to a boy > Mother and circlejerk of women pressure her to be feminine > In current times, women encourage women to be independent, yet still insist on 'keeping her feminism' and 'prettyness' > girl hates mom for it (if the mother did that) > does the same to her daughter > SELF DEFEAT LOOP OH GOD HOW DO THEY GET OUT.

Some fall in between and this is relevant I guess: http://www.upworthy.com/do-all-the-...omen-make-your-head-spin-heres-a-comic-for-ya

Basically, I am fine with girls playing videogames or climbing trees, as those things shouldn't be things 'just for boys', as it limits their individuality. If a teacher called a girl a tomboy, I would interfere and say "She's not a tomboy, she's a girl that likes to play videogames."

Maybe this isn't the most solid contribution, I'm sure I could give a better one by re-reading 'the second sex'.

Last edited:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Lol standing to pee is the problem guys you did it ran equality for everyone

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
yes freedom

everyone sit down to pee

#sitdowntopee2014

Last edited:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
personally i like FFT more than FFTA but i think that has more to do with nostalgia on my part as opposed to any semblance of objectivism.

as an aside, my only real qualm with FFT is ramza being SUPER overpowered holy ****, otherwise the game is great in pretty much all aspects
Ramza is overpowered???

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
Copy/paste:

Hey folks!

I need a taker to replace into Soup's slot as France (In Diplomacy), as he has NMR'd a few times and is having internet trouble. I will warn you that he is not in the greatest position (probably 2nd worst-off in the game), but it is still possible to get your *** back in the game with some negotiation.

Soup has 4 territories, but missed build phase.

This is the current state of the game, we are in Spring 1902. The current phase ends in 4 days. If you would like to replace in, let me know as soon as possible.
OHHHHHH French is losing? WOW BIG SURPRISE!

AHUH

ahuh

ahuh

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Ramza is overpowered???
strictly speaking about vanilla FFT (can't speak for the other versions), you can solo the game with ramza more efficiently than a standard run.

basically ramza's squire class comes with a special skill called "yell" that only ramza can get, which will give you a nice amount of experience/job points alongside increasing your speed whenever you cast it (costs 0 mp so you can cast it infinitely). if you cast yell enough times on a single map then you'll eventually be able to move 5-6 times in a row before your opponent can move, which allows you to pummel the enemy team to death without repercussions. things get even more silly once you get "scream" (also a ramza specific move) because it not only raises your speed but also raises your damage output, effectively replacing yell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wah1jXhfVjk#t=4m20s

Last edited:

July

Smash Apprentice
Hell no. This is a mans topic. Women should bake goods for the discussion at most.
Pssh, I can bake good for the discussion and contribute to it, I'm just that good.

On the issue of feminism, I definitely understand the critiques of the current movement that has come to encompass a whole variety of different opinions that are often in conflict with one another (for example, opinions on stay at home moms vary greatly between self-proclaimed feminists). Personally, I prefer the term gender equity over feminism because the latter takes into consideration the fact that binary gender roles are confining for everyone, not just women. People should not be punished for defying gender roles and challenging the binaries of "masculinity" or "femininity", but at the same time they should not be punished for conforming to gender roles if they so choose and genuinely desire to express themselves in that way. Ultimately, gender expression should be a choice and one that comes without stigmatization over time (social changes do not and cannot occur over night).

Honestly, the type of social equity such as that described in the above paragraph is incredibly difficult to achieve because it requires a complete rethinking of our deeply entrenched, socially constructed ideas about sex and gender. However, the other big issue among feminists is usually economic equality or equity, and that should (at least in theory) be easier to achieve: the same work should be rewarded with the same pay, regardless of a person's age, gender, sexuality, race, etc. Yet surprisingly we are not at that point yet, although I have some kind of optimistic faith that we'll get there eventually.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
@ Circus Circus - As people who

A.) Don't have the power to make immediate significant reform.
and B.) Don't run around showing hyper misogynistic tendencies.
Going to interrupt you right here just to say that I don't accept 'B.' In fact, based on what Gorf posts here and his claim that his anti-feminism is a known characteristic to his brother and his brother's girlfriend, I would assume exactly the opposite is true if I were to assume anything at all.

But I'd prefer not to make those assumptions.

Which kind of feminist do you think people like Gorf run into? Is it

A.) The kind that don't care about him much at all.
or B.) The kind that shove it down people's throats.
I'm really not in a position to determine "which kind" of feminist Gorf typically runs into, nor do I see why it would matter. I'm not interested in case-by-case assessments of right and wrongdoing. I just want to make the point that, if you truly do think that everyone should be treated equally, as Gorf has claimed and as I'm sure most everyone else reading this would claim, then you are a feminist. That's what feminism is. Whatever bad experiences one may have had regarding failed chivalry or whatever is irrelevant. And if the worst thing a woman has done to you as a man is say something snotty when you hold the door for her, then you've got no business complaining about women as a whole, or feminism as a concept. You just held the door for ****ty person. You're still at the top of the food chain, make no mistake.

Also, regarding the implication that "shoving [feminism] down people's throats" is a bad thing, what else would you propose when someone is unwilling to take their medicine? This is not a live-and-let-live situation. Certain things are personal: your faith (or lack thereof), your taste in art, your favorite ****ing Final Fantasy Tactics game. But when you're dealing with how society actually treats you and people like you, there is no being nice about it when a change needs to be made. You stand up and demand better treatment or you don't ever get it. Which is why I'm here, posting walls of text, instead of reading Gorf's posts, rolling my eyes and switching tabs. If I sit quietly with my beliefs, then they don't make any difference. If people don't get called out on their ****, they never learn, and society doesn't just change slowly, it doesn't change at all.

Gorf thinks that not enough acknowledgement is given to how far women have already come. That makes sense, because as a man, it really does not matter to him if they go any farther. He has no horse in that race. So he has the luxury of looking backward and admiring the distance traveled, rather than looking ahead and cursing how far away the finish line still is. We have NOT crossed it yet, so why would we rest? Why would we stop to pat ourselves on the back for making it halfway?

Like, I'm starting to think you guys think that progress just happens? It doesn't. It takes work. It takes a willingness to see from points of view that are not your own so that you can see how your life and its privileges impact others. And sometimes it involves being totally unlikable and preachy online. You either do all that and align yourself with the solution or you stay part of the problem, and in twenty years we'll still be telling boys not to cry so that they'll bottle up their emotions and take them out as aggression later. We'll still be telling girls that their aspirations in life should be landing a partner and starting a family rather than whatever the **** they want them to be. We'll still be telling women that the closest thing to desert they deserve is yogurt because getting fat would be worse than getting a terminal illness. We'll still be telling young women what to wear when they go out to try to prevent them from being *****, rather than teaching young men not to ****, and we'll still be telling the girl she must have been "asking for it" if she had chosen to wear a skirt that day. And that's all bull****. And it only changes if we recognize that all of these things, including the things that impact men, are a product of patriarchy and then take steps to change how we live our own lives within that.

Last edited:

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I edited the post for other typos before seeing your post. Editing that one would be pretty silly at this point.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I'm actually just not gonna respond because I feel like what it boils down to is you and me telling each other things we already know, Circus. Have fun arguing with gorf of all people though.

Top Bottom