• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I did a FE10 draft on SWF and won. But it was easy because the other players didn't seem to know the game too well. I ended up with Volug + Zihark @ B-Support in 3-6 which made things pretty easy.

:059:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Dude, I'll talk to you now.

The game is awesome.

Chapter 5 is stupid.

I haven't gotten any farther.

Salve Maker is a ****ing stupid job, but it's a cooler look than White Mage and has like, one good passive ability.
oh man if you hate chapter 5...lol you'll see, i won't spoil it. i hated chapter 5 as well.

i agree with you on salvemaker and literally never once compounded throughout my entire playthrough LOL. healing lore is pretty op for healing i guess. there're actually some good compounding combinations you can use but none of them are really that important for beating any of the bosses.

things i hate about the game : spiritism/hasten world combo is super OP and basically allows you to auto pilot through the game so long as your characters are high on agi/speed (just equip falcon knife lol). in general spiritism is a super broken utility class compared to the other classes. hasten world is also super OP with valkyries because you can just spam super jump and if you have high enough agi then you'll literally never be targetable because you'll always be in the air before the enemy can attack you.

i basically agree with you on pirate/summoner since there are better and more efficient damage dealing classes out there (to name the main ones i know of, templar desperation, monk pressure point, mimic with free lancer sets up a lot of shenanigans with other class combinations, swordmaster free lunch used with time mage is cray, phoenix strike + minus strike with dark knights is basically a guaranteed 40k with 4 actions, valkyrie judgment iirc,) that being said, classes like red mage are cool but they end up getting the short end of the stick compared to other classes in terms of damage efficiency.

i loved the plot though and since you're not finished i won't say anything but tell me when you beat the game and then we can both vent about the plot LOL

oh yeah how'd you like that ringabel twist, when i saw that i was like "WTF" lol just curious but what do you think is the reason for that twist?

Last edited:

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I'm perplexed as to why you can't relate to whiny kids.

Also, the fact that you didn't finish it does show. The judges line, in particular, is like rage quitting FF7 because you died to the Midgar Zolom and Sephiroth beat it.
That would only be accurate if you were forced to avoid the midgar zolom for the entire game, and it hadn't already spent hours being a good game by the time it shows up.

Last edited:

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Never played it, but I'm sure Death doesn't spend the entire game punishing you for stupid arbitrary things like using the fight command.

I guess people who think Laws were a good mechanic in FFTA are also people who enjoy doing things like No Materia runs of FF7, and that has never appealed to me either. When I do try things like that, I prefer it to be self imposed, so I can break it when it stops being fun (and it will), and not suffer any consequences.

Last edited:

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I think all Jobs were good/useful except for Merchant and Summoner. Pirate is a REALLY GOOD offensive class by the way, and not just because of highest damage stat. It has tons of debuffs moves that also damage the enemy, and they all work on bosses. Couple it with the swordmaster's or freelancer's master skills and you will be able to spam Double Damage/Amped Strike to easily hit the damage cap.
Merchant was useful just for the More Money perk in the early chapters. I remember going broke on ethers and new magic spells constantly. Then everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked I got the Merchant asterisk.

I guess I get what Pirate's trying to do, and I'm willing to believe it's good, but it just didn't seem like it would fit into the picture I have in my head of what I want my final team to be, which I guess is bolstered by the fact that I also haven't dived into Swordmaster at all (was briefly thinking it might work well if coupled with Knight, but I petered out on the Knight class too, sooooo...). Edea's my beefy physical attacker, and I like her as a Templar, both in terms of team build and story relevance. Same reason I like a certain other combination.... Pirate could be a decent secondary class, I guess. I might try it out. Also haven't quite found the niche Vampire fits into yet.

oh man if you hate chapter 5...lol you'll see, i won't spoil it. i hated chapter 5 as well.

i agree with you on salvemaker and literally never once compounded throughout my entire playthrough LOL. healing lore is pretty op for healing i guess. there're actually some good compounding combinations you can use but none of them are really that important for beating any of the bosses.

things i hate about the game : spiritism/hasten world combo is super OP and basically allows you to auto pilot through the game so long as your characters are high on agi/speed (just equip falcon knife lol). in general spiritism is a super broken utility class compared to the other classes. hasten world is also super OP with valkyries because you can just spam super jump and if you have high enough agi then you'll literally never be targetable because you'll always be in the air before the enemy can attack you.

i basically agree with you on pirate/summoner since there are better and more efficient damage dealing classes out there (to name the main ones i know of, templar desperation, monk pressure point, mimic with free lancer sets up a lot of shenanigans with other class combinations, swordmaster free lunch used with time mage is cray, phoenix strike + minus strike with dark knights is basically a guaranteed 40k with 4 actions, valkyrie judgment iirc,) that being said, classes like red mage are cool but they end up getting the short end of the stick compared to other classes in terms of damage efficiency.

i loved the plot though and since you're not finished i won't say anything but tell me when you beat the game and then we can both vent about the plot LOL

oh yeah how'd you like that ringabel twist, when i saw that i was like "WTF" lol just curious but what do you think is the reason for that twist?
Healing Lore + Holy One = healing power so great you don't even need Epic Group Cast or whatever it is. Also actually allows you to get your money's worth out of a Turbo Ether.

Haven't gotten a Time Mage high enough to get Hasten World yet, and wasn't really planning to. Now that I know it's broken, I might stick to that. I kind of dropped Valkyrie once Edea learned Pierce Default anyway, though she did serve as my main damage dealer on multiple bosses during that time.

In regards to the Ringabel/Alternis thing, I was legitimately surprised. The game makes it very obvious from the beginning that multiverse shenanigans are going on, and I actually did expect to see an alt Ringabel at least somewhere along the way, though I was convinced it was someone else (I assume the game did that on purpose). Thinking back on it, the scene where Alternis boards the Eschalot while Ringabel's in the bathroom is kind of brilliant.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
3282-2327-7742

add me, *****es
add me for op damage 2036-6786-5659

wrt merchant, merchant is amazing for maximizing your damage when sending abilities to friends. also maxing out crit on all your party members improves damage efficiency A LOT but it's not necessary.

Last edited:

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Never played it, but I'm sure Death doesn't spend the entire game punishing you for stupid arbitrary things like using the fight command.

I guess people who think Laws were a good mechanic in FFTA are also people who enjoy doing things like No Materia runs of FF7, and that has never appealed to me either. When I do try things like that, I prefer it to be self imposed, so I can break it when it stops being fun (and it will), and not suffer any consequences.
Laws were a negligible mechanic. Which is a shame, they could have been good but they had near zero effect on gameplay; they were too easy to work around. Anyone who's bothered by them is probably just bad at the game. :gova:

Last edited:

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
Sounds terrible! Unlike Laws, which are fun. Deal with life as it comes at you! Yay.

The only game I've ever played that did all the things FFT tries to do, properly, is Tactics Ogre. To my tastes, anyway. But FFTA is a very strong and versatile game, coloured by the jobs you don't take rather than the ones you do. Two people never get the same experience out of it.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Laws were a negligible mechanic. Which is a shame, they could have been good but they had near zero effect on gameplay; they were too easy to work around. Anyone who's bothered by them is probably just bad at the game. :gova:
You know, you're just being a ****ty person, and not nearly as hilarious as you think you are. You and Ryker both.

I said I don't like the game, and explained my reasons for why (which there are many)

I didn't call you bad for liking it.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
You're the one who made a turbo-whiny post about why you didn't like it, lol.

Yes, it's opinions and whatnot, but given the tone of your original post on the subject, I'm not at all surprised that you're receiving sarcastic remarks.

You've been ruffled a bit easily, here.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
You know, you're just being a ****ty person, and not nearly as hilarious as you think you are. You and Ryker both.

I said I don't like the game, and explained my reasons for why (which there are many)

I didn't call you bad for liking it.
Well, you did make a bold claim that FFT was objectively better. One might claim that it was an implied insult seeing as there were those that don't right here. I dunno though. :gova:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I thought FFTA was super dumb, and FFT is one of my favorite games. I'm sure you're not alone, but I'm also sure you're in the minority. FFT is the better game, and this is the first time I've ever encountered anyone who thought otherwise.
I thought FFTA was super dumb, and FFT is one of my favorite games. I'm sure you're not alone, but I'm also sure you're in the minority. FFT is the better game, and this is the first time I've ever encountered anyone who thought otherwise.
FFT is the better game
FFT is the better game
FFT is the better game
Was that another PrivateJoker-Brown? My bad. :gova:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
personally i like FFT more than FFTA but i think that has more to do with nostalgia on my part as opposed to any semblance of objectivism.

as an aside, my only real qualm with FFT is ramza being SUPER overpowered holy ****, otherwise the game is great in pretty much all aspects

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Coming from my viewpoint, this is why the claim looks objective.

You state your opinion on both games. You then say his/our opinion is probably in the minority.

You then say FFT IS the better game. IS implies fact, not opinion. Particularly so when you say "this is the first time I've ever encountered anyone who thought otherwise" which implies someone is challenging what you imply to be a fact.

Ultimately it comes down to the bolded.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Coming from my viewpoint, this is why the claim looks objective.

You state your opinion on both games. You then say his/our opinion is probably in the minority.

You then say FFT IS the better game. IS implies fact, not opinion. Particularly so when you say "this is the first time I've ever encountered anyone who thought otherwise" which implies someone is challenging what you imply to be a fact.

Ultimately it comes down to the bolded.
But we both knew that. :gova:

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
So I found out that my brother uses my anti feminist stances as a means of entertainment with his girlfriend. I don't know whether or not I should be offended or happy he's allowing me to spread the good word.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Feminism is cool. Feminazis are terrible. Men have their inequalities in today's society too, and they're just as glaring, we're just raised with statements like "man up" "grow some balls" "tough it out" etc. Bullsh.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
i feel bad for never playing bioshock, i hear so many great things about it but i just can't get into first-person games anymore. D:

add meh on BD!
If I'm honest, I think Bioshock's a little overrated. I could sit here and pick at what I don't like about it but that would be pretty pointless because it's still a good game and I don't think many of the people who sing its praises would argue with me on most of what I would say at this point. You should definitely give it a shot sometime if the twist hasn't already been spoiled for you; it's not a very long game if you're just playing to advance the main story.

And I will next time I open it up.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
@ ~ Gheb ~ ~ Gheb ~ I'd prefer 6, 7 or 8 but if you want me to try uncharted territory I am up for it.
I'd *love* to do a FE6 draft run. FE7 is OK too but it has kind of become a bore for me and I'd only do it if I couldn't get 3 people to play FE6 or FE5 with. Speaking of FE5, that game is not the kind of "uncharted territory" that you want to introduce yourself into by way of a draft run. It's a very good game but also the hardest FE overall. I've beaten it 3 times and I'm not even sure if I could beat the game with a drafted team right now.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
So I found out that my brother uses my anti feminist stances as a means of entertainment with his girlfriend. I don't know whether or not I should be offended or happy he's allowing me to spread the good word.
You know what's cool about being anti-feminist? Or anti- any other movements regarding the equality of different groups of people? The same thing that's cool about strolling by a stranger on the street and spitting in their eye.

Feminism is cool. Feminazis are terrible. Men have their inequalities in today's society too, and they're just as glaring, we're just raised with statements like "man up" "grow some balls" "tough it out" etc. Bullsh.
Women are not the party that impose these inequalities upon men though. Those inequalities are a symptom of the power men have claimed over women. Men are expected to be tough because women are consistently told by men that they are soft. The issues plaguing men based on their gender in today's society are answered by feminism just as the issues of women are.

Also, feminazi is a ****ing terrible word.

Last edited:

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Bioshock was really good. I played the first one, and it was hella good times. I can whole heartedly recommend this game.

I also played Bioshock 2, because it was literally $5 on Amazon, and it was basically the same game. Like, eerily similar. I didn't finish it, cuz other stuff grabbed my attention, and I never went back to it, and I also never moved onto Bioshock Infinite. I really should go back and finish 2... but the whole I was playing it, I felt like I could just play Bioshock again. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised with a decidedly different twist.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Women are not the party that impose these inequalities upon men though. Those inequalities are a symptom of the power men have claimed over women. Men are expected to be tough because women are consistently told by men that they are soft. The issues plaguing men based on their gender in today's society are answered by feminism just as the issues of women are.

It is a ****ty word. Should stop using it.

That said, some people take feminism way too far. I don't entirely agree on it being consequences of mens claim to power though. Why do fathers have such a low chance to get custody over a mother? You can say it's because men force the trope that women are supposed to stay home and raise the kids, you can also flip it around and say it's because of the masses view on men is skewed as a whole (how often do you hear about women ****** men? women hitting men?) and that's not just because of men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z7nteHMPJ8
http://www.theage.com.au/executive-...ing-on-me-and-help-me-out-20140213-32jur.html
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/26/justice/oklahoma-arrest-death-video/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2014/02/20140221-141943.html
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...d-21/articleshow/29569990.cms?intenttarget=no

The root of these issues is close though I guess. In the end its just inequality.

Rajam

Smash Champion
I'd *love* to do a FE6 draft run. FE7 is OK too but it has kind of become a bore for me and I'd only do it if I couldn't get 3 people to play FE6 or FE5 with. Speaking of FE5, that game is not the kind of "uncharted territory" that you want to introduce yourself into by way of a draft run. It's a very good game but also the hardest FE overall. I've beaten it 3 times and I'm not even sure if I could beat the game with a drafted team right now.

How necessary is to have played the games? I'm most familiar with FE9 and FE10, and kinda FE7. I've barely played FE1 (DS version) and FE8. I'd still be willing to play any FE really but if I have no idea about the games I think I'd be at a serious disadvantage in the draft

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
FE5 and FE6 are prtty much the most challenging FE games. That's why I prefer these games over FE7. Unless you've played them a number of times and feel confident you're not gonna stand a chance in a draft chllenge though. Should play them anyway because they're good games!

Xatres

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Xatres17
See, I actually DO believe FFT is objectively a much better game, from both a writing and gameplay standpoint.

I've already given the abridged case, which anyone is welcome to disagree with. I don't really have the gumption to argue the point any further.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
You know what's cool about being anti-feminist? Or anti- any other movements regarding the equality of different groups of people? The same thing that's cool about strolling by a stranger on the street and spitting in their eye.
Umm... First off, no, spitting in a stranger's eye is far from the equivalent of being opposed to absolute equality. Second of all, there are simply just things that are better suited for men then for women. How about we integrate (american) football? Men and women deserve equal opportunity to play in the NFL, because that makes sense, right? Conversely, women are better suited for certain things as well. Honestly speaking, if I ever need to hire somebody to take care of my young child, it WILL be a woman because motherly instinct is a real thing that no man can ever have.

Feminism isn't bad in itself. That's not what I'm trying to say at all. When faced with any opportunity, men and women, homos and heteros, black and whites, everyone should be objectively judged the same. But I'll be anti feminist if I'm an anti feminist for holding a door open for my date (WHICH I'VE BEEN TOLD IS ANTI FEMINIST, BTW). Feminism in the modern world is used as an excuse which is ****ing ********. A man gets a job that a woman wanted? Sexism! Burn em at the stake! Stupid man. Feminism today is what the black panthers were to civil rights. And if you sit here and tell me the black panthers were good people, well then I won my argument.

Perfect example of why feminism is jaded: Boy/girl toys in general. People (women too) insist on buying their little girls the pink things, or the dolls you can dress up, or the little easy bake oven, while boys get ****ing adventure time toys advertised to them, a show that even I think is at least a little mentally stimulating for my big boy brain. Sure you can call men the bad guys for being the big corporate advertisers. But do you not think that women are helping in selling those things, in that they're not pitching GOOD ideas for toys? Do you not think women are a part of the problem when they go ahead and choose that for their little girl rather than adventure time toys? No? Because you're a feminist? See my point?

Circus said:

Feminazi is an ingenious word that has officially entered my vocabulary.

Xonar said:
women hitting men?
Oh and btw this happens a **** load. Know why it's not a big deal? Because men more often than not are physically in a more dominant place and are expected not to be phased it. Why do men always lose when they get in a fight with a girl, regardless of the outcome? "Dude come on how can you beat up a girl?" "Dude you got beat up by a girl! HA!" I simply feel like feminism is taken too far. LGB rights ctivists are in a way better position than feminists imo as far as having a respectable ground to fight on.

Edit: The woman in Xonar's youtube link used a very good word: Humanist. Feminists believe in rising up, when in reality they're in a MUCH MUCH MUCH better position ( ;) ) than they were back in the day. I'd be surprised if it wasn't a matter of wanting to be better than men, which is ****ing petty.

Last edited:

Rajam

Smash Champion
FE5 and FE6 are prtty much the most challenging FE games. That's why I prefer these games over FE7. Unless you've played them a number of times and feel confident you're not gonna stand a chance in a draft chllenge though. Should play them anyway because they're good games!

What are the rules for a draft-gameplay anyways, and how is the winner determined?

What do you think of 1 character must die per-chapter, chosen by the other players?

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Tonight's Episode on DGames Goes Political - Feminism: Should Women Be Allowed To Voice Their Own Opinions?

Top Bottom