• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Copycat and Fight are both negligible. There are plenty of things you can do instead of fight and you should hardly be repeating actions in the first place.

DMG2's are dumb but then that's what anti-law cards are for.
Sometimes I just wanna slap kids.

It just got annoying when I was slogging through a fight and I'd look away during the enemy's turn for whatever reason and then unwittingly break the copy-cat law.

My main point against it is that almost every single law other than fight/copycat can be easily avoided when you set your team up by just simply bringing units who CANNOT break those laws. Copycat/Fight just frustrate me because you can ALWAYS accidentally break them regardless of who you bring. I just think they could have been better designed.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Why haven't we invented Like-ception yet?

I wanna like that Circus liked that.

No tri-likes, though. We don't need likesonlikesonlikes.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I just didn't enjoy FFTA. There's a bunch of different jobs, but I can't mix and match them any way I want because only certain races can have certain jobs? Why? I want to get creative and make powerful units, not just use "the best job for that race, with the best equipment for that job" and be done with it. Why even have that many jobs, if I can't use them all? Some of the races are just better mages than others, and other races don't even have magic classes. I can't even change the makeup of my party on the fly, because they all get locked into their roles by virtue of their race. Boring.

Then there was the laws. I thought that system was completely pointless. "Hmm, we gave the player a lot of options for making strong characters. How can we make sure the game stays difficult?" "Let's put up arbitrary barriers to get in their way!" "Great idea, Bob! You're going places in this company!" Nope, hated it. Maybe if I could make my guys strong enough to kill the judges, and ignore the laws, I wouldn't have hated it so much. But as it is, why aren't these all powerful judges solving anyone's problems? What am I even doing here? I need to save the world or something, right? What the **** are these judges doing? Welp, they just go around with all their power, enforcing arbitrary laws, and throwing people in jail cuz they used magic that one time, but not the other time cuz he was in a magic sort of mood that day. I didn't finish the game, so maybe the deal with judges gets explained later? From what I've read about the game, I don't think it does. They're just an arbitrary game mechanic, incarnated in physical form. This is a final fantasy game, and I fully expect to be the most powerful thing on the planet by the end of the game. **** those guys.

Also, the whole story just had absolutely no appeal to me. The main characters are a bunch of whiny kids, and magical animals. I thought this was supposed to be Ivalice? I played the first FFT, which was the game that invented the world of Ivalice, and I don't remember any fruity magical animals living amongst humans. That's fine and dandy for a fantasy world setting, but Ivalice was already a setting, and that **** didn't exist. Magical creatures like dragons and goblins were mindless animals, not merchants or kings. FF12 did that crap too, and I hated every bit of it. It's so clear that they only associated those games with Ivalice so they could capitalize on the large FFT fanbase, because it's one of the most popular games in the Final Fantasy series. All they really did was invent their own little world, and slapped the name "Ivalice" on it. I didn't get super far in the game, but the plot of the game didn't grab me at all. I don't relate to whiny kids, magical animals, or their dumb problems. Stories about the dangers of religious fanaticism, political intrigue, war, and slaying demons? Sure I don't relate to it all on a personal level, but it's a much cooler story, and I get where these characters are coming from. Ramza is building an army, and waging a goddamn holy war. The kid in FFTA is "asked to join their club", and then "let's other people join the club too!"

Last edited:

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
To be fair, I kind of didn't get what certain laws meant the first time I played through FFTA. And that ruined it. I picked it up again years later, with some knowledge about what laws even prohibited, and had a much better time.

Basically, I agree. Clear laws that you can account for are fine, and are an interesting restriction to deal with. But not being able to "fight" just because that game would like you to be more creative is silly.

Never played the original Tactics.

Tangent: I think Bravely Default would be better with, like, 4 fewer jobs and at least one chapter's worth of less double-backing. Like, I never used Pirate and Summoner, and plenty of other jobs could be consildated a little bit. If Bravely Second has like 20 jobs or fewer, I'd be fine with that. Although it sold like whatever the opposite of a hotcake is here, so I'd be pretty stoked to get a western release at all at this point.

Also, they should just remake Tactics or something. I'm down for another modern strategy RPG giving Fire Emblem a run for it's money.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
To b fair, I didn't really get what a lot of the laws in FFTA meant at first. I played it some years later and understood it better, which made for a much better experience, and actually finished it.

Never played the original Tactics. But generally I like the idea of laws, but am not a huge fan of having to deal with one that limit what I can do in the name of creativity that actually just kind of muck up the fun. I've been in Raz's shoes more than once.

I'm wearing a shirt that says "everything's coming up Milhouse" on it. I feel a kinship with Milhouse, but he's not my favorite Simpsons character, because obviously he's no one's favorite Simpsons character. But I think he's the most relatable. Because he sucks, and we all suck. He wears glasses, so you might mistakenly think that he's smart or something to make up for his clear lack of physical prowess, but that just isn't the case. Perfect rep for the true losers. Everyone wishes they were Bart, but secretly we're all Milhouses. Or maybe Lisa's if we're smart but can deal with sexism.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Also, something something something Bravely Default actually has too many jobs. Something something, I would like Bravely Second to limit them because I never even used Pirate or Summoner and plenty of other jobs could be consildated, etc. etc. But ultimately I would just be excited if Bravely Second actually got greenlit here because BD sold like used underwear in the west. Goddammit, USA, this is why we can't have nice RPGS. You're going to make me play shooters, aren't you?

Last edited:

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Also, I Liked Raz's posts when I wasn't drunk so you can be sure they're legit.

Wish I had a Brewyu nickname.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
circus when you're not drunk talk to me about bravely default LOL

oh yeah what's your FC so i can add you

Last edited:

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Dude, I'll talk to you now.

The game is awesome.

Chapter 5 is stupid.

I haven't gotten any farther.

Salve Maker is a ****ing stupid job, but it's a cooler look than White Mage and has like, one good passive ability.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Also, I'm glad you're back. I wanna join the small, but I truly can't dedicate the time.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Would also do Pokemon/Fire Emblem shenanigans, but haven't played those game in months.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Drunkus? Best I could think of on the fly.

I liked FFT, it's one of my favorites in the Final Fantasy's.

I'm trying out FFTA for the first time and the only thing getting on my nerves is the law system, so annoying when it's early on and a lot of my character cant do damage early on when "Fight" isn't allowed. I just got anti-law cards but it really does grind me when it keeps stopping me playing the game because the dumb ass judge put a stupid law up that I keep accidentally breaking, paying money and getting people out of jail.

I can agree with the map issue Nabe had though, I'm not bothered by it but I can defiantly see how a PS1 games map can get in the way. This is also how Disgaea handled the maps better with the camera and layouts of the maps in item/character world. You can see what is going on.

Random pet peeve though, why can only the bunny ladies be a Red Mage, why can I be a Red Mage :mad:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Circus, when you get drunk, do you dance?

You could be Twerkus if you did.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
With some exceptions [like Lords] every unit can only be picked by one player. So if Raz, you and I took part and Raz picked Matthew first, nobody else could use Matthew except him. That process is repeated until all units have been assigned and then the game starts. Win condition would have to be negotiated in advance ofc.

:059:

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Does it use some kind of mod to have our armies battle, or does the AI just play the game out, and the person who drafted the most units who make it to the end wins?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
It's not a battle of our armies against each other. We play the game with the units we've drafted and whoever does best is the winner.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Ahh, I see. So it's not just "who can build a better army to beat the game with", it's also "who is smart enough to draft the right guys".

So we just play the game normally, and we're judged by how many levels we gained on our draft picks?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
What we're "judged" by in the end is not set in stone. It could be the amount of level ups gained, it could be the aount of turns used or it could be the amount of battles won - or any combination of that. FE7 has a pretty good ranking system which is almost always used in draft runs to evaluate the performance of a player. I just proposed FE6 and FE5 because I like these games better.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I just didn't enjoy FFTA. There's a bunch of different jobs, but I can't mix and match them any way I want because only certain races can have certain jobs? Why? I want to get creative and make powerful units, not just use "the best job for that race, with the best equipment for that job" and be done with it. Why even have that many jobs, if I can't use them all? Some of the races are just better mages than others, and other races don't even have magic classes. I can't even change the makeup of my party on the fly, because they all get locked into their roles by virtue of their race. Boring.

Then there was the laws. I thought that system was completely pointless. "Hmm, we gave the player a lot of options for making strong characters. How can we make sure the game stays difficult?" "Let's put up arbitrary barriers to get in their way!" "Great idea, Bob! You're going places in this company!" Nope, hated it. Maybe if I could make my guys strong enough to kill the judges, and ignore the laws, I wouldn't have hated it so much. But as it is, why aren't these all powerful judges solving anyone's problems? What am I even doing here? I need to save the world or something, right? What the **** are these judges doing? Welp, they just go around with all their power, enforcing arbitrary laws, and throwing people in jail cuz they used magic that one time, but not the other time cuz he was in a magic sort of mood that day. I didn't finish the game, so maybe the deal with judges gets explained later? From what I've read about the game, I don't think it does. They're just an arbitrary game mechanic, incarnated in physical form. This is a final fantasy game, and I fully expect to be the most powerful thing on the planet by the end of the game. **** those guys.

Also, the whole story just had absolutely no appeal to me. The main characters are a bunch of whiny kids, and magical animals. I thought this was supposed to be Ivalice? I played the first FFT, which was the game that invented the world of Ivalice, and I don't remember any fruity magical animals living amongst humans. That's fine and dandy for a fantasy world setting, but Ivalice was already a setting, and that **** didn't exist. Magical creatures like dragons and goblins were mindless animals, not merchants or kings. FF12 did that crap too, and I hated every bit of it. It's so clear that they only associated those games with Ivalice so they could capitalize on the large FFT fanbase, because it's one of the most popular games in the Final Fantasy series. All they really did was invent their own little world, and slapped the name "Ivalice" on it. I didn't get super far in the game, but the plot of the game didn't grab me at all. I don't relate to whiny kids, magical animals, or their dumb problems. Stories about the dangers of religious fanaticism, political intrigue, war, and slaying demons? Sure I don't relate to it all on a personal level, but it's a much cooler story, and I get where these characters are coming from. Ramza is building an army, and waging a goddamn holy war. The kid in FFTA is "asked to join their club", and then "let's other people join the club too!"
I'm perplexed as to why you can't relate to whiny kids.

Also, the fact that you didn't finish it does show. The judges line, in particular, is like rage quitting FF7 because you died to the Midgar Zolom and Sephiroth beat it.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Anybody wanna do a FE6 or FE7 draft challenge ... or even FE5?

Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehheheheheh. /in

Hector Hard.

As for rules, this is the tried and true set-up:

1.) Everyone has access to Hector and no one else.
2.) You can use any unit FORCED onto the map. Meaning you didn't have the opportunity to remove them from the field.
3.) You may take a recruiter for a character you drafted onto the map with no items. They may not obtain items. They may be used as a meat shield. NOTE: You cannot grind a character for the necessary levels to recruit unless it is done on a map they are forced onto.

Draft order goes:

With however many players.

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
What we're "judged" by in the end is not set in stone. It could be the amount of level ups gained, it could be the aount of turns used or it could be the amount of battles won - or any combination of that. FE7 has a pretty good ranking system which is almost always used in draft runs to evaluate the performance of a player. I just proposed FE6 and FE5 because I like these games better.

Screw winners. Let people do what they will because any metric is going to be arbitrary. I could arena abuse and blow you all out of the water, but that doesn't mean I succeeded in a competition. Make it a simple challenge run rather than a competition.

Fandangox

Smash Lord
Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehheheheheh. /in

Hector Hard.

As for rules, this is the tried and true set-up:

1.) Everyone has access to Hector and no one else.
2.) You can use any unit FORCED onto the map. Meaning you didn't have the opportunity to remove them from the field.
3.) You may take a recruiter for a character you drafted onto the map with no items. They may not obtain items. They may be used as a meat shield. NOTE: You cannot grind a character for the necessary levels to recruit unless it is done on a map they are forced onto.

Draft order goes:

With however many players.
I did a draft run with Volke with a very similar set up. We played Hector Hard, but we both had access to all lords and Serra (his idea) We also could take drafted units for recruiting purposes.

Additional Rules I remember: If a drafted unit was attacked, you had to restart the map. Even if the attack would result in no counter attack by the drafted unit (such as being attacked by a bow)

We also had a third person (who would not play) chose units that would be drafted for the both of us. I.e I pick a unit to use, Volke picks one, and the third person would pick a unit that neither Volke nor I could use.

It was also mandatory to do all side chapters and recruit all units. It was really fun, we never finished it though.

Fandangox

Smash Lord
Tangent: I think Bravely Default would be better with, like, 4 fewer jobs and at least one chapter's worth of less double-backing. Like, I never used Pirate and Summoner, and plenty of other jobs could be consildated a little bit. If Bravely Second has like 20 jobs or fewer, I'd be fine with that. Although it sold like whatever the opposite of a hotcake is here, so I'd be pretty stoked to get a western release at all at this point.
I think all Jobs were good/useful except for Merchant and Summoner. Pirate is a REALLY GOOD offensive class by the way, and not just because of highest damage stat. It has tons of debuffs moves that also damage the enemy, and they all work on bosses. Couple it with the swordmaster's or freelancer's master skills and you will be able to spam Double Damage/Amped Strike to easily hit the damage cap.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'm tempted to participate in this draft, but I also need to start Bravely Default.

I'd only draft 7 or 10, though.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I haven't played 5 and I don't feel confident in my ability to draft 6 well. 8 and 9 are too easy because of Ike/Seth solos.

Top Bottom