• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DFW Brawl Thread: Batou Monthly, Feb 18th - Revolution 10, Mar 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Planking Gnes While He Watches Invincible Youth
Yo infinity I'm definitely up for gaming tomorrow man hit me up whenever you're off work. Do you mind if Damien is over as well?

Anyways Foresaken I don't really thinking playing online level you up much, look at Jumpman yes he had a bad *** wall of pain but other then that he had no strategy and lacked any mind games what so ever.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Yo infinity I'm definitely up for gaming tomorrow man hit me up whenever you're off work. Do you mind if Damien is over as well?

Anyways Foresaken I don't really thinking playing online level you up much, look at Jumpman yes he had a bad *** wall of pain but other then that he had no strategy and lacked any mind games what so ever.
I don't care who's there as long as I can get some practice in and get some input. I'd also like to avoid everything breaking down into us goofing off and doing friendlies since I'm trying to get more better :p

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Online only helps you to learn matchups at a rudimentary level. If you begin to find approaches and options that work often online, odds are they won't be as successful off it. I only play doubles on WiFi, rest of it is boring (not to mention impossible w/ Wario XD).

So if you need basic matchup practice then sure, get on a singles ladder or something and get that practice. Just don't be surprised if things like Snake's dthrow > uptilt or Wario's upair > fsmash aren't efficient off the net.

Haha, hell, I went Snake the first round, just to get a feel for the character.

Foursaken

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess the only reason I'd get online is to learn match ups, but for the stuff I'd need, the money isn't worth it. I'm tight on cash as it is. Speaking of which, you guys were all seventeen once, what kind of part time jobs did you work? I refuse to work in the fast food industry and wanted to see what you guys found enjoyable at that age.

Also, I need Damien, Ice, Fogo, and Infinity to play 2 serious sets with me each next time at Dphats. I want some serious level ups. And when I mean serious sets, I mean treat it like losers finals at CH4. Best 3/5, CP's, Bans, Strikes, the whole nine. And after each match, I want a critique of my game play.

I WANT TO BE, THE VERY BEST - LIKE NO ONE EVER WAS!

So what do you guys say?

Edit: Wee ow wee ow wee..

mydadsacop123

Smash Apprentice
to catch them is my real test...
but I think limiting chain grabs is good since it completely cripples some characters...well I just dislike infinites

Rudementry

Smash Journeyman
Online only helps you to learn matchups at a rudimentary level.

Was that supposed to be a joke? :laugh:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess the only reason I'd get online is to learn match ups, but for the stuff I'd need, the money isn't worth it. I'm tight on cash as it is. Speaking of which, you guys were all seventeen once, what kind of part time jobs did you work? I refuse to work in the fast food industry and wanted to see what you guys found enjoyable at that age.
Part time real estate agent. Good times.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
I'm asking for serious sets with some people, and I made a Pokemon
reference in bright yellow to emphasize the fact that I want
to be better at this game.
^ Same here. I like the friendlies but I want some more level ups. Not the crappy rare candy level ups that don't give you EVs. I mean real level ups.
Like the kind you get by using a Macho Brace or having the Pokerus.

I do too, I even said so in my post dude. Marth infinite on Ness/Lucas = complete BS and degenerate to the fun of the game for Lucas/Ness players.
fix'd.

*hugs Infinity*

10hugs

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
^ Same here. I like the friendlies but I want some more level ups. Not the crappy rare candy level ups that don't give you EVs. I mean real level ups.
I prefer the level ups you get from killing the highest exp giving enemy in the game when you're using something that's freshly hatched. Significant boost in stats, pls.

(Yes, I know about EV training and all that noise and how technically your stats are overall greater through EV training, (optimally 127 additional stat points total) but we're assuming there's no level limit here so I'd rather just gain a ton of levels all at the same time instead of small levels over a long long long time. Hell, give me both)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
<lots of reading>

Use the SBR rules. Seriously, how can you justify making changes to rules that are already working just fine and have been worked on by hundreds if not thousands of pro-level Smash players? The Hobo rule set was already pretty out of whack and now you're making the rules that cause it to be out of whack needlessly complicated.

Limiting chain grabs/grab releases, tilt locks and super situational scenarios really doesn't do anything productive. In fact, you're taking away major weapons and core strategies for more than one character in this game. To a degree I can understand banning Metaknight due to his overwhelming dominance of the tournament scene, but I really don't see any reason to effectively ban chain grabbing: a major role in many characters in the game.

I can understand limiting an infinite (i.e D3 chain grabbing someone on a wall) to a certain percent to stop people from abusing that to run down the timer. Hell, I can understand limiting infinites period since they're degenerate to the play of the game, but I don't understand limiting things like DeDeDe's or Falco's chain grabbing. Those are techniques paramount to a character's strategy and not super broken to the point of being degenerate and game-breaking. For instance Wario's standing infinite on Donkey Kong is degenerate and should be limited, but I see no reason to limit things like tilt locks, (it's your own fault for getting into that situation and you can smash DI out of most of them anyway) character-specific non-infinite chain grabs, (just tested it to make sure: 5 down throws from DeDeDe is roughly 33% including hit decay and 5 from Falco is roughly 37%, neither of which is a game-breakingly significant amount of damage) or any sense in banning a core strategy across multiple characters.

It seems to me that instead of doing Texas a favor you're trying to manipulate the rules to whatever you personally think is best. What you're doing is removing a player's freedom to play whatever style they want; you're stifling the playing field rather than setting it free. The rules are there to enforce a structure in the gameplay, not to enforce the style of gameplay istelf which is what you're doing. I have not once heard anyone complain about chain grabbing ruining a whole tournament; every complaint I've ever heard has been situationally specific and I've already said that I can understand those situations being limited and/or banned (i.e DeDeDe + wall) for reasons other than the restriction of gameplay.

In short: What you and Xyro are trying to do with the rules is having the opposite effect you desire. You're not opening up new options by limiting the techniques you've limited; you're actually only restricting the gameplay further than necessary and I believe that this will adversely effect the game.
This man knows how high level play should go :).

Also, if you are looking for reasons why D3's grabs on those 5 characters and Marths release infinite on Ness isn't banned, well it's because it's only a few match-ups. Sure, it makes it almost impossible for say a Ness to beat a Marth, but that is just an inherent flaw that ness players face. It's similar to Shiek vs Bowser in Melee. The match-up was generally viewed as 90-10 or maybe worse because not only can shiek grab bowser 0-death but she has amazing grab set-ups and can EASILY grab bowser in any situation. This was not complained about or even thought of being banned. It just means shiek counters bowser.

Now if the entire cast could grab release ness then it would be a different story.

Foursaken

Smash Apprentice

fix'd.

*hugs Infinity*

10hugs
Both. Pokerus plus Macho Brace for training is ridiculously fast.

Infernape @ Life Orb - Naive

~ Flamethrower / Fire Blast
~ Close Combat
~ Grass Knot
~ Hidden Power Ice

24 Atk / 252 SpA / 232 Spe

It's over.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
Both. Pokerus plus Macho Brace for training is ridiculously fast.

Infernape @ Life Orb - Naive

~ Flamethrower / Fire Blast
~ Splash
~ Grass Knot
~ Hidden Power Ice

24 Atk / 252 SpA / 232 Spe

It's over.
fix'd

In my case, I want:

Lucas @ Stick of disjointed hit boxes +1 - Timid

~ Mindgames
~ Usmash
~ PK Fire
~ Usmash

252 Def / 252 SpA / 6 HP (lol)

Daimonster

Smash Journeyman
I'll just use a Garchomp or a Salamence with Draco Meteor and go about my business.

</pokemon>

In related news, I can't get this song out of my head and I can't find anywhere to get it besides the iTunes store: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=445abkZlWKU

Also, the game that's from is awesome.
I can send you that song in mp3 format if you had any way of contacting posted up via aim or email addy.

Edit: I was wrong...I don't see Xyro ever changing his silly mind.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I can send you that song in mp3 format if you had any way of contacting posted up via aim or email addy.

Edit: I was wrong...I don't see Xyro ever changing his silly mind.
I told youuuuu :).

Daimonster

Smash Journeyman
There you go infinity. I sent the file to cabaltherapy123@yahoo.com

Hope you enjoy the soundtrack.

Oh! Regarding the ruleset...I'm just trying to get his rules closer and closer to SBR ruleset. Which imo is **** near perfect.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Man, there were a couple of scrubby small tournaments up here in Denton that didn't allow ANY chain moves, and they had judges to watch and ban people for "spamming", which meant no short hop double lasers for me.

I can't wait to play some actual matches this weekend.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Just a heads up. I won't be able to come to Dphats Freakin Awesome Fridays (DFAF). I have a paper and project due and need to get those done on Friday so I can come to PBT#2 on Saturday.

@ Lee Harris: Write my paper and I'll get your vids up =). Seriously though, I'll aim for getting them done tonight.

Arikado

Smash Rookie
I may not be able to make it to DPhat's either due to a bunch of school ****. Gonna try to make it though, and I definitely don't want to miss PBT2. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom