• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Demo played (at DigiPen party)! Wavedashing (in Melee form) appears to be out!

Fbu

Smash Rookie
Seriously. Digipen hasn't seen Nintendo in awhile.

There's no reason for brawl to even be at digipen.
Besides being in Nintendo's Building or anything

Wikipedia said:
The Main Campus is part of a rented building from Nintendo of America. The bottom floor is Nintendo of America's warehouse where games and systems are shipped out.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
Did it even occur to any of you, for one second in the least, that maybe they took directional airdodging out of the demo because wavedashing is being properly implimented and still buggy?

For ****'s sake, think about it for longer than "WTF HOW EM I GUNNA PLAY W/O WAVEDASH !?!! OP U R WRONG !".

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Did it even occur to any of you, for one second in the least, that maybe they took directional airdodging out of the demo because wavedashing is being properly implimented and still buggy?

For ****'s sake, think about it for longer than "WTF HOW EM I GUNNA PLAY W/O WAVEDASH !?!! OP U R WRONG !".
If you are referring to me, I don't give a flying fornication about wavedash to be honest. I am wondering why the air dodge itself is so stupid/********. Having less freedom and less usable tatics is not a good thing.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
If you are referring to me, I don't give a flying fornication about wavedash to be honest. I am wondering why the air dodge itself is so stupid/********. Having less freedom and less usable tatics is not a good thing.
That's exactly my point. What if they only disabled that in the demo to prevent wavedashing that might currently be buggy and incomplete? With the game 4 months off we can't assume that they butchered airdodging like that.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
**looks at the "zomg old news" video**

**looks at the first video with Bowser in it where he RUNS not wavelands directly out of a jump**

**zooms onto Wario's feet and notices that he too takes several steps after he lands**

EPICCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

FAILUREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

News. Even with only the Wiimote someone with half a brain could tilt the Dpad to the left and airdodge a certain direction. Maybe if you're friend had one hand and was mentally handicapped I'd understand, but otherwise I think you should just edit your original post completely and delete it before more people on the boards see what a traitor and a troll you are.
Man, and I thought we were just talking about video games here.

Lighten up.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER

Did it even occur to you, while in your zealous little quest to poke fun at people who wavedash, to realize what most of us are having a problem with?

It's not the possible lack of wavedashing, it's the fact that an air-dodge with a predictable trajectory is pretty much reduced to being useful for launching yourself straight into a charged Bowser fsmash.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Stop Fgihtin An Check The Sonic Video Dammit

Im a wavedash supporter, i love marth and his wavedashing game.... just wanted to point this before anything.

Ok, i have read the whole post, and i think the INfil guy could be right about what his friend is saying and of course this worry me alot.. but oh well..

Anyways... i was sure i saw a airdodge somewhere on the videos and i started to search until i found one.. ok chek this:

(sorry in advance if i look like a dumb with old news)

In the video of "Sonic comes to brawl" (yeha the one introducing him) , I want you to check the part when they are fighting in the snake stage (the one with the lights).

We can clearly see Sonic grabbing a Star.... but i want you to pay atention to Mario... he starts the scene down of the stage with kirby... but quickly goes up with some jumps. By the time Mario get to the top... Sonic is about to crash with the flying star... but check carefully HOW MARIO DODGES SONIC---

Like Infil said..... Mario dodges... but his dodge is not stationary... he fallls with the momentum.... the action is hard to see because of the explotion made by sonic and his Star.... but check it! i clearly see Mario free falling in his usual airdodge posture.

EDIT: after cheking it again... it seems like his normal airdodge because he last in the air more than what the momentum was supposed to last but im still not sure... some expert to clarify this please.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace

That's pretty unlikely. And most people are more concerned with not being able to control their airdodges than with WDing.

If this guy is right, Sakurai seems to be taking a big step back in terms of depth.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
Did it even occur to you, while in your zealous little quest to poke fun at people who wavedash, to realize what most of us are having a problem with?

It's not the possible lack of wavedashing, it's the fact that an air-dodge with a predictable trajectory is pretty much reduced to being useful for launching yourself straight into a charged Bowser fsmash.
Did I once say that the change to airdodging was a good idea? Hell no. I'm simply pointing out the fact that it may be disabled in the demo for some reason unknown to us and may not even be a change in the final version of the game. We don't know for sure.

Hell, as a Jigglypuff player I know how important an air dodge can be to vertical recovery.

Just 90% of this thread is people flipping out about wavedashing, their precious shines, or how the OP is wrong, and no one once stops to think that directional airdodging might, JUST MIGHT, only be disabled in the demo for another reason entirely.

You know, similar to how Kirby isn't in the demo? Except you don't hear people flipping out about how Kirby was axed from the game. It helps that Kirby is a much more obvious thing that wouldn't be cut, but you get my point.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Did I once say that the change to airdodging was a good idea? Hell no. I'm simply pointing out the fact that it may be disabled in the demo for some reason unknown to us and may not even be a change in the final version of the game. We don't know for sure.

Hell, as a Jigglypuff player I know how important an air dodge can be to vertical recovery.

Just 90% of this thread is people flipping out about wavedashing, their precious shines, or how the OP is wrong, and no one once stops to think that directional airdodging might, JUST MIGHT, only be disabled in the demo for another reason entirely.
Fanewgie stop fiogjting and check this please:

In the video of "Sonic comes to brawl" (yeha the one introducing him) , I want you to check the part when they are fighting in the snake stage (the one with the lights).

We can clearly see Sonic grabbing a Star.... but i want you to pay atention to Mario... he starts the scene down of the stage with kirby... but quickly goes up with some jumps. By the time Mario get to the top... Sonic is about to crash with the flying star... but check carefully HOW MARIO DODGES SONIC---

Like Infil said..... Mario dodges... but his dodge is not stationary... he fallls with the momentum.... the action is hard to see because of the explotion made by sonic and his Star.... but check it! i clearly see Mario free falling in his usual airdodge posture.

EDIT: after cheking it again... it seems like his normal airdodge because he last in the air more than what the momentum was supposed to last but im still not sure... some expert to clarify this please.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
Fanewgie stop fiogjting and check this please:
Why the hell did you copy and paste your post three times? We saw you the first time.

And yeah, I completely butchered the trailers when they were released and made an entire thread breaking them down piece-by-piece. So I know full well what happens where. I don't even need to watch the video again to know what you're talking about. It's clearly an airdodge.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I want to to check the vid please. Ill not say anything more. thats it.
Fine. I love the music anyway.

But it doesn't even prove anything. You don't know how airdodging works. It could truely move with your current momentum. But what if it's still directional, like it should be, and Mario player is simply airdoding in the direction he's already going? You can't tell at all from a video.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Well the problem is the explotion which makes the stage trmble and the smoke hides mario...

Also my pc sucks so i cant see the video in good quality.. i see a dodge there but i dont know what kind of the 2 dodges in discussion is.

Percon

Smash Lord
Eh... I find it hard to tell exactly how mario's moving in that trailer. I mean, yeah, we see him airdodge in the same direction he was supposed to fall, but you can't tell if he hovers there for a bit because sonic comes crashing down with a star and the dust gets in the way.

So yeah, I think I can wait to hear about this.

mgslee

Smash Cadet
Jeez, Infil sure did it this time 0_0

I'm his friend, yes I got to play Brawl at Nintendo HQ in there cafeteria. I'm a Digipen Master's student. I made OmniFall last year on the Digital Gallery go try it out! (crashes with ATI cards :( ). Shouldn't be hard to figure out who I am via credits and my user name here. Any other Digipen Students can usually find me in the Masters Lab (CARR).

The event at Nintendo is similar to what Nintendo regularly does for its employees, just like during E3. Its basically giving their employees the opportunity to try out the demos for games. The event is in the corner of the cafeteria with some black curtains. They are demoing GH3, Link's Crossbow training, Mario Galaxy, Olympics, Rayman2 some DS stuff and of course Brawl. Brawl was only on 1 TV :(

Brawl is 4player FFA, you can't navigate options or anything. Splash Screen -> Character Select -> Level Load -> Victory Screen -> Splash. They only had Wii Remotes, no GC or Classic. The game was being played on a Wii Dev kit (black silverish coloring).

Infil pretty much dumped all my impressions, nothing really more to say. Remember they are impressions. I jumped straight up, and tried to side air dodge and my char just moved normally but spread out there arms for the dodge animation. Theres no way to try to really try WD with the Wiimote.

Fox's shine isn't instant anymore from when you press the buttons. Theres some lag. I'm an avid fox player and yeah I think I could tell if something didnt add up.

I was there for only an hour, and got a few games in. I couldn't stay longer since my friend had to get back to work and couldn't leave me there :( I'll hopefully be back Thursday (NOT TOMORROW) with a Classic Controller and hope for a better feel for the game.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
By the way, this is what I'm talking about:

Note how Wario can still waveland, but it has to come off his forward momentum! In the demo, my friend was unable to airdodge in any direction he chose. Maybe that will change when he gets the classic controller. Who knows? Don't shoot the messenger.
^ You win this thread, the smash boards, the internet, and the world. I vote you for President! YOU WIN SIR! :)

Self Quote to the Retarted Anti-Wavedashing People (Not the intelligent Anti-Brawl Wavedashing People. They Cool)

The reason you people hate wavedashing isn't because you don't like wavdashing. It's because you suck at smash, wavedashing, and Life! GTFO!
I WIN! HA! :laugh:

And directional air dodging is confirmed. *points at confirmed tech discussion* :p

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
And directional air dodging is confirmed. *points at confirmed tech discussion* :p
Despite the fact that first post claims directional air dodging as confirmed, it is not. All cases cited turned out to be that, while the character was certainly moving in a direction while dodging (as opposed to just dodging in place in mid-air), they were already moving in the direction they dodged. It is still under debate in the rest of the thread whether or not it is actually confirmed.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Because I'm too lazy to read the whole topic, has anyone pointed out how difficult it would be to WD with the wii-mote? The movement with the D-pad on it is too laggy and unreliable for something as sensative as a wavedash. Doing possession mix-ups with taki in SC with the D-pad requires enough speed and a good deal of adjustment after using the control stick, the frames for that are more forgiving anyway. My point: the wii-mote sucks, please don't post anymore topics like this until someone has played with a GC controler.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
Because I'm too lazy to read the whole topic, has anyone pointed out how difficult it would be to WD with the wii-mote? The movement with the D-pad on it is too laggy and unreliable for something as sensative as a wavedash. Doing possession mix-ups with taki in SC with the D-pad requires enough speed and a good deal of adjustment after using the control stick, the frames for that are more forgiving anyway. My point: the wii-mote sucks, please don't post anymore topics like this until someone has played with a GC controler.
You have a point. I remember playing Super Paper Mario and being so irritated that I couldn't move diagonally because of the wiimote's D-pad.

Mr. Ocax

Smash Journeyman
^ You win this thread, the smash boards, the internet, and the world. I vote you for President! YOU WIN SIR! :)

I WIN! HA! :laugh:

Wow you are so freaking cool. You quote yourself.

blerb

Smash Journeyman
huh, cool. give us news as soon as you can.

and to all of the people calling him a troll, would you please stop? it's bad enough you just insult him without giving him a chance, but you constantly do it, even though he's provided adequate information. just stop, go flame someone else, you immature kids.

Eggm

Smash Hero
It's upsetting that yoshi can't pick the way he wants to air dodge now for recovering.. air dodging is kinda big for him since he has no triple jump. although now he gets a boost from his egg, but it'd still be nice to mix that up with up air dodges to edge grab or forward dodges past attacks... this makes his recovery has less options.

Top Bottom