• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Yes, however if you wanted to add the grab release to your repertoire then you may want a flat stage with not many platforms. Final destination, pokemon stadium 1, MAYBE jungle japes on the edges, parts of delfino plaza, among others.

just my 2 cents

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Yes, however if you wanted to add the grab release to your repertoire then you may want a flat stage with not many platforms. Final destination, pokemon stadium 1, MAYBE jungle japes on the edges, parts of delfino plaza, among others.

just my 2 cents
Ah, I forgot to mention that. But can't you get out of that right at the last second? I mean, you could still easily put MK into a tipped fair, but I'm not sure I'd use my counterpick up just for that.

Any stage Marth does well on, so does MK.
That's exactly what I was thinking going into my post :laugh:

I guess I'll just stick to Lylat Cruise then. Thanks for your input guys!

Ulevo

Smash Master
This may sound like a stupid question, but I might as well give it a shot.

I'm going to a tournament in about two weeks. In the Greater Toronto Area, a large amount of very good players play Meta Knight. I've been practicing against Meta Knights since I lost to one in my last tournament, but I was wondering something. Are there any stages that can be counterpicked with Marth to go directly against MK? I've been having the most luck with Lylat Cruise (the same goes for every other character), but am I missing something? Rainbow Cruise is anti-Snake (pretty much disables a Snake from using projectiles effectively), is there an anti-MK?

This is the list of legal stages at my tourny:

Neutral stages (will be on random select):
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpicks (are not on random select, but are legal stages to be selected):
Pokemon Stadium - Melee
Rainbow Cruise - Melee
Delfino Plaza
Squeege's Mansion
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Castle Siege
Jungle Japes - Melee
Brinstar - Melee
Distant Planet

Again, sorry if it's a stupid question, but I was compelled to ask and make sure I'm not missing something. Thanks in advance!
The best alternative you have to face Meta Knight would be Picto Chat. It is a flat plane with few things to interfere with your Grab Release set ups. Meta Knight can't fly below the stage for safe recovery, and Marth will naturally die later than Meta Knight due to heavier weight. Marth can abuse the ledge slopes to edge guard Meta Knight effectively, and the drawing transformations give Marth the advantage because of his long disjointed hitbox, since Meta Knight can't swing through the drawings the way Marth can. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like Picto Chat is a legal stage in your case. Your best bets are Final Destination, Battlefield or Yoshi's Island, but even those don't give you huge advantages. Just play smart, use what you know in the character match up, and abuse the Grab Releases whenever you can.

Paladuck

Smash Rookie
English nazi...

"It is ironic that Marth would naturally be at home in his own territory."

It isn't ironic. Irony is the opposite of what you expect. Rather, it is fitting/expected/natural for Marth to be at home in his own territory.

Great guide, sorry to be such a douche XD

Ulevo

Smash Master
English nazi...

"It is ironic that Marth would naturally be at home in his own territory."

It isn't ironic. Irony is the opposite of what you expect. Rather, it is fitting/expected/natural for Marth to be at home in his own territory.

Great guide, sorry to be such a douche XD
That's okay. I appreciate the constructive douchery. It helps to improve the guide. In all honesty, I don't know WHY I wrote that, but I will fix it. Thanks.

∫unk

Smash Master
I would take Distant Planet and Luigi's Mansion off counterpicks, because they just aren't good stages for Marth, and Distant Planet is starting to get banned at my local tournies anyway.

This is a nitpick but you should mention on Lylat Cruise the stage spike is especially good because it sends them under the stage and makes it hard to recover. Also Lylat Cruise is great for certain projectile users so I would stay away from it for characters like TLink and ROB because they can use the platforms to space safely while still sending their projectiles to either level.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I would take Distant Planet and Luigi's Mansion off counterpicks, because they just aren't good stages for Marth, and Distant Planet is starting to get banned at my local tournies anyway.

This is a nitpick but you should mention on Lylat Cruise the stage spike is especially good because it sends them under the stage and makes it hard to recover. Also Lylat Cruise is great for certain projectile users so I would stay away from it for characters like TLink and ROB because they can use the platforms to space safely while still sending their projectiles to either level.
The stage section isn't necessarily to note all of the good stages for Marth. I'm mentioning all the stages, including the bad ones, and talking about them in detail. Luigi's Mansion is a horrible stage for Marth, so I'm likely going to post some tips on what you can effectively do on that stage if you ever get stuck with it. I'll also take into consideration the projectile spam versus T.Link and R.O.B.

Also, why is Distant Planet being banned at your tournies if I may ask?

Marth Xero

Smash Cadet
Wow that was just decently amazing.;)
:laugh:
Anyways great guide buddy, I'll be sure to use some of the stuff in this some time.
If I can remember it...:ohwell:

d34thiseternal

Smash Rookie
I believe that Distant Planet would be banned as it is continues to the death zone. That and maybe the PoiPoi (sorry if spelling is off)

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Why is this in the 2nd page ot topics O.o

*votes for sticky*
This guide is already located within a stickied directory. Sticking this one thread would kind of be redundant.

At d34thiseternal: Ulevo is doing all the stages not obviously banned. I'm quite sure some tourneys have Distant Planet on Counterpick, even if most would agree it borders Banned.

Ulevo

Smash Master
This guide is already located within a stickied directory. Sticking this one thread would kind of be redundant.

At d34thiseternal: Ulevo is doing all the stages not obviously banned. I'm quite sure some tourneys have Distant Planet on Counterpick, even if most would agree it borders Banned.
The same applies with Norfair and Green Hill Zone.

It may be a little redundant to sticky this thread if it is already mentioned in a sticky. Then again, this is likely more useful than some other stickies we have now, and it would catch a readers attention easier. I still need to stop being lazy and finish some of these stages, and make some fixes here and there.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I was just rereading this guide for the umptenth time and I noticed that it says Marth cannot fan Din's Fire. This is false, it simply requires the appropriate spacing and good time. I do it frequently with the Nair instead of Fair, to ease on the timing and spacing.

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
^ That is true. I don't personally play any Zelda players regularly, but I have seen people fan Din's Fire.

TheRazaman

Smash Apprentice
Great guide, my Marth got much better in a very short time because of this.

Still practicing though!

mafesto

Smash Apprentice
I just want to thank you Ulevo for this great guide. All the great info in this guide really helped my Marth, I went to a tournament on Friday and I came in second place as Marth, mainly thanks to your guide :D

Hype

Smash Lord
Are you sure you not mistakin about Fair spiking?

Edit: just checked list of spikes, Fair is not listed as a spike or semi-spike.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
If you hit a person with a fair towards the bottom of it's arc, AND THEY'RE DIn DOWNWARDS it will have a semi spike effect.

Who the **** will DI down when they're recovering though is beyond thought.

RickyB

Smash Cadet
This guide is amazing, so much good information on marth in one place, it might be too good....
Defiantly a lot of useful stuff in here thanks a lot.

DreamHack619

Smash Ace
See I didn't think of using my walk over my run!!!! You can can get so much stuff in when you walk.... a F-smash, U-tilt, D-tilt, ect., ect........

Again Great Guide!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom