• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Deconfirmed characters that keep you salty?

Lenidem

Smash Lord
ARMS is getting a rep despite Spring Man being an Assist Teophy and 5 of the characters being Spirits, so…depending on who it is, could there be hope for DeMille and/or an RE rep?
There might be! Let's wait until June. :)

crazyjohn

Smash Rookie
I'm not salty about any of these, but I was disappointed nonetheless.

Spring Man. I loved Arms, even though it was lacking in enough content to keep me interested for a long time. Still, I thought Spring Man being in Smash about a year and a half after Arms came out would revive the community, maybe get me back in the game, and be an interesting fighter. I remember the fake leak with Spring Man and Decidueye and I knew it was fake, but I still really wanted him in the game. I'm glad Arms at least got some representation when the game launched, with Spring Man being an assist trophy, but it just wasn't in the way I hoped for. I'm glad Arms is getting a fighter, but it's gonna be weird without it being the mascot of the game.

Shovel Knight. Shovel Knight's amiibo made me think he was at least gonna get something in smash, and while he did get an assist trophy, I just wish he was playable. It's still pretty crazy that an indie game got some representation besides a spirit or a random song, but it just wasn't what I hoped for.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I really don't think of much as 'deconfirming,' and I suppose that makes me different from most other users.

That said, I would like to see Eevee and Meowth as characters.
Dixie as a character.
Bomberman and Isaac as characters.
A Resident Evil character is definitely one I hope is next for Capcom.

Most rule them out due to being spirits or Assist Trophies. I don't.

Last edited:

Ganon777

Smash Cadet
im a bit salty that midna was still an assist trophy in ultimate, she would have been a great new fighter for the zelda series!!

Aus0115

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aus0116
im a bit salty that midna was still an assist trophy in ultimate, she would have been a great new fighter for the zelda series!!
100 percent agree, her and skull kid were my most wanted Zelda newcomers but I doubt its happening anytime soon.

4ZURE

Smash Cadet
If Spirits deconfirm, then Bandana Waddle Dee.

I just want to complete the main Kirby cast.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I somewhat gotten over Mimikyu and Ghirahim, but I would still love Cranky Kong. He's the last Nintendo rep I'm still outright butt hurt over.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I somewhat gotten over Mimikyu and Ghirahim, but I would still love Cranky Kong. He's the last Nintendo rep I'm still outright butt hurt over.
Cranky's deconfirmed? How come?

Also I 100% agree on Ghirahim, I wanted him so bad in Smash 4 and then when he was revealed as an AT my stomach dropped. By the time we got around to Ultimate and BOTW was the hottest thing/SS was old news, I figured his chances were done. Lo and behold he popped up in some trailer as an AT and I pretty much have given up on him completely.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Cranky's deconfirmed? How come?

Also I 100% agree on Ghirahim, I wanted him so bad in Smash 4 and then when he was revealed as an AT my stomach dropped. By the time we got around to Ultimate and BOTW was the hottest thing/SS was old news, I figured his chances were done. Lo and behold he popped up in some trailer as an AT and I pretty much have given up on him completely.
He isn't in the game other than a spirit, non playable role.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Short answer: Spring Man.

Long answer:

S P R I N G M A N.

He was a character I wanted in Smash since I first laid eyes on him in the 2017 Switch Presentation. He is easily one of the characters with the most lore based on him if you know where to look, and would've brought some much-needed personality to a Smash roster that has way too many characters that lack emotion. Carrying ARMS as a whole, he could have used other characters ARMS for air attacks, grab attacks and the like. When he was made into an Assist Trophy, I gave up on him, only for Nintendo to give me false hope and egg me on to the point where he was literally holding the letter!!!!!! and give it to the only character I actively despise (Long story short: overrated, no personality at all, and uses kicks, which literally 75% of the roster uses (I counted), where literally anyone else would have used other characters ARMS or literally anything involving ARMS. Seriously, a game about extendable arms should not pick the character who uses legs!) So a game I love is not only represented horribly, but one of my favorite characters was turned into such a joke he is both less likely than Goku and more hated than Goku! How does that happen! How do you make a mascot of a game, make him literally hold the letter and then make him more of a joke than Goku! Nobody deserves to have the main protagonist (because Sakurai & Yabuki clearly don't know the difference between a protagonist and a main protagonist), main character and mascot of a game they like go from literally holding the letter to an absolute joke and have the one character they actively despise get in while making fun of the mascot at every oppurtunity! Goku... Goku... less likely than GOKU. I can't even.

MarioDDR755

Smash Apprentice

Long answer:

S P R I N G M A N.

He was a character I wanted in Smash since I first laid eyes on him in the 2017 Switch Presentation. He is easily one of the characters with the most lore based on him if you know where to look, and would've brought some much-needed personality to a Smash roster that has way too many characters that lack emotion. Carrying ARMS as a whole, he could have used other characters ARMS for air attacks, grab attacks and the like. When he was made into an Assist Trophy, I gave up on him, only for Nintendo to give me false hope and egg me on to the point where he was literally holding the letter!!!!!! and give it to the only character I actively despise (Long story short: overrated, no personality at all, and uses kicks, which literally 75% of the roster uses (I counted), where literally anyone else would have used other characters ARMS or literally anything involving ARMS. Seriously, a game about extendable arms should not pick the character who uses legs!) So a game I love is not only represented horribly, but one of my favorite characters was turned into such a joke he is both less likely than Goku and more hated than Goku! How does that happen! How do you make a mascot of a game, make him literally hold the letter and then make him more of a joke than Goku! Nobody deserves to have the main protagonist (because Sakurai & Yabuki clearly don't know the difference between a protagonist and a main protagonist), main character and mascot of a game they like go from literally holding the letter to an absolute joke and have the one character they actively despise get in while making fun of the mascot at every oppurtunity! Goku... Goku... less likely than GOKU. I can't even.
I won't lie that I loved that Min Min was added, but I honestly really feel for Spring Man fans. He honestly is pretty likeable and probably would have been a more logical choice for a rep. But worst of all is how they kind of, like you said, made him a joke in the reveal trailer and accompanying arts.

It makes me kind of like him more because I feel bad for him... did they need to make him look so excited to get in? D:

Lenidem

Smash Lord

Long answer:

S P R I N G M A N.

I understand your frustration, but you should stop repeting "less likely than Gokû". That's not even true.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I cannot get over Issac being just a trophy I was just hoping so much he'd finally be a fighter every second before I saw him as a trophy in Ultimate and I still hope he can get in one day despite being a trophy...
Yeah... this one hurts for me every time we get a Fire Emblem character. I'm not a big fan of RPGs, and the one I absolutely, devoutly love, with a huge following, cant break through the wall of Fire Emblem. A Djinn system would just be... so fricken cool.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Noone.. but the closest may be shadow... not because he is my most wanted... he isnt event my most wanted assist trophy character...

But because was soo easy to just make him an echo with a different dash animation :c... but i really think that was only time constraints.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Krystal and Ashley. Definitely wanted to see them playable. Hopefully somehow they'd still have a chance.

It did suck to see Kumatora in Lucas' final smash too, but then again I didn't really expect her to come along, so it's nice that at least she's in the game.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Akira from Astral Chain. I didn't really like the game(combat was too much) and I don't think I'd even like playing as them but it felt like AC did well in most metrics and deserved something, especially for an unrepped first party series. Also the music and art style would have been really cool to have in the game.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Spring Man, Shadow, and Decidueye.
I like Incineroar's moveset, but it could have easily gone to Haggar.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
another fire emblem fighter taking up a spot in dlc
Are you saying FE is deconfirmed for FP2? Because yes, there is no reason to think FP2 would have another FE character. Nintendo is too professional to have "Hoes Mad" be a reason.

Constantini

Smash Cadet
Geno, because everyone knows Sakurai has wanted to have him in for the past 3 games but, ugh, idk, enix? Money? Nintendo higher ups? Who knows why, but I've completely given up. My pie in the sky characters were ridley and geno and I got one at least, so it ain't all bad.

Secondly, Paper Mario. He should've been in since sm4sh. My issue here is that I do really expect him sometime with this 2nd DLC wave.....but he'll more than likely be based off the sticker star/color splash/ origami king trilogy which I do not give a single f$!@ about. It's like what wario was like to me when they added him in brawl. The wario land series was one of my favorite and his moveset was entirely based around the wario ware games. To this day I still think it's a terrible waste.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
They have the rights to Bomberman and they make him an assist trophy instead of actually playable, what the hell???

Shadow. They made a big to-do about echo fighters and showed off a Knuckles assist trophy, only to turn around and relegate him to assist trophy yet again.

Also, while I don't think it should have a character, I'm salty that Tetris doesn't have a stage. It just seems like such an obvious, natural choice

Lenidem

Smash Lord
They have the rights to Bomberman and they make him an assist trophy instead of actually playable, what the hell???

Shadow. They made a big to-do about echo fighters and showed off a Knuckles assist trophy, only to turn around and relegate him to assist trophy yet again.

Also, while I don't think it should have a character, I'm salty that Tetris doesn't have a stage. It just seems like such an obvious, natural choice
I'm not a fan of neither Bomberman nor Shadow (is this sentence grammaticaly correct?) but I totally agree. And Rayman sits next to Bomberman.

I don't really care about a Tetris stage, but it would be very fun and recognizable, and we have several boring or redudant ones, so that would be cool indeed.

UserKev

Smash Champion
For an Echo, I'm very salty Knuckles isn't in, being my top most wanted when we're discussing Echo newcomers. Cranky Kong and Knuckles are prime examples of characters I will always be salty over till both are in Smash.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
For an Echo, I'm very salty Knuckles isn't in, being my top most wanted when we're discussing Echo newcomers. Cranky Kong and Knuckles are prime examples of characters I will always be salty over till both are in Smash.
Knuckles wouldn't be an echo.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Bomberman and Isaac and Skull kid and Sukapon assist trophy reveal
Geno not being a deluxe mii costume at least so we can all finally see his beautiful face officially in 3D
No Black mage and Jack Frost mii costumes or presence despite getting more FF content and Atlus contents
Alph remains a skin of Olimar instead of echo
No Ninten and Ms. Pac-man echoes for Ness and Pac-man

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Still salty about Shadow's deconfirmation in Ultimate. Not so much the AT itself but how Ultimate's pre-release led up to it. First we got Echo Fighters. Then came Knuckles' Assist Trophy. Then a presentation with THREE brand new echo fighters. Then the Grinch leak came along, looking legit. Then Ken, who was an ECHO in the grinch leak, got revealed. Then Incineroar came and ruined everything, with Shadow's AT being the final nail in the coffin.
I know they obviously didn't, but it's almost like they planned to **** off every single Shadow fan just in time for the game's release.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Krystal, and the prospect of Zelda newcomers in general. 😭
krystal at least has a chance next game - in fact i take her inclusion as an assist to be a good sign, since i was worried Nintendo might be trying to sweep her under the rug (being such a controversial character that hasn't appeared in a while; although admittedly Star Fox as a whole hasn't exactly been given an abundance of attention). i keep saying this, but i have a good feeling about next time

but they consistently ignore exciting Zelda possibilities, then tout three Links in the original trailer like it's some kind of fabulous achievement. and i don't get it, they overload the game with zelda content for everything but playable characters so it's not like they're ignoring the series. why not put that same care into the fighters? out of the six characters in the game: three are versions of one person, two are versions of another, and the last one was an inferior copy of an unrelated established character that was tacked on as an afterthought... the last truly unique Zelda addition was Zelda herself, three games and 20 years ago!

i'll never not be sore that they let a series with such potential fall behind Fire "Gee Bill, how come your mom lets you have eight Marths?" Emblem in numbers

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Heihachi, Waluigi, Shovel Knight, Spring Man, Rex, Zero, Shadow, Tails, Knuckles, Geno, Toad, Toadette.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Fiora and, YMMV here, Elma.

I voted for Fiora on the ballot but she got Chrom’d (aka put into a Final Smash) literally when Ultimate was revealed. Then again Xenoblade 1 has only 3 party members while X has 4 so I thought that would’ve been a hint at Elma

then Pyra/Mythra happened and I guess this makes Elma the Decidueye to Pythra’s Incineroar...

...and then Chrom was shown to be playable while still also in Robin’s Final Smash and the one victory screen. But it’s obvious he’s the exception, not the norm...

also, Officer Howard

Black Shadow, while not technically deconfirmed cause base game Spirits no longer deconfirm, has no chance in hell anyway unless F-Zero makes a comeback so I’m a bit sad about that too

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sorry for the bump but I wanted to add

I know you guys had hope for Ashley, Decidueye, Elma (I did too), Isaac, Geno, Rex (even though we got Pyra & Mythra), Kyo, Lycanroc etc

I WASNT EVEN ALLOWED TO HAVE HOPE FOR FIORA. I’m sure Waluigi and Takamaru fans feel the same way...

Top Bottom