• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Deconfirmed characters that keep you salty?

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Sorry for the bump but I wanted to add

I know you guys had hope for Ashley, Decidueye, Elma (I did too), Isaac, Geno, Rex (even though we got Pyra & Mythra), Kyo, Lycanroc etc

I WASNT EVEN ALLOWED TO HAVE HOPE FOR FIORA. I’m sure Waluigi and Takamaru fans feel the same way...
I really don't see what joy you can get from false hope. I would have prefered Skull Kid disconfirmed right way...

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also Master Chief. I personally think he was soft deconfirmed when Steve was announced. They have 2 dlc Microsoft characters, a third would would unlikely.
Speaking of that, I think Neku may have been soft deconfirmed by both Hero and Sephiroth. At least he wasn’t Mii’d so next game Neku could be a very strong contender for a fourth Square Enix rep

way I see it, first party miis are safe for the next game (see Inkling, Isabelle, Chrom and K. Rool). Third party miis tho? Doomed to repeat their fate forever

Better watch your back, Lloyd...

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
The one that is a head scratcher for me and I kind of wanted in (not emotional about it) is Bomberman.

I am frustrated that we haven't gotten very many characters that I want in the game but many of them are still in the mix: Crash, Rayman, Ryu Hayabusa, etc. I just don't like the current DLC roster overall. The only ones that really gave me any hype were Banjo, Hero, and Steve. (The latter two where not major hype, I just thought they were good fits). I also liked Min Min but annoyed at the other First Parties.

Out of the list, I am very surprised Rayman has gotten a look with how big Ubisoft is on Nintendo consoles. The Brawlhalla announcement for Rayman almost seems like it was done out of concern that Rayman wasn't on Smash. The bright side is that it might have pushed back his development.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
I rly dislike how balloon fighter got relegated to a villager special move, he was one of my most wanteds

also digdug would’ve been cool but they removed the pooka and didn’t even bring it back as a spirit lmao, I guess there’s no ultimate retro rep

I also rly dislike how waluigi is seemingly deconfirmed by being an assist but I think he’s making it in lowkey

UserKev

Smash Champion
Dixie Kong (her wig might deconfirm her)
Bomberman
Shovel Knight
Raichu (well technically, the Pokeball Pokemon is the Alohan form)
Shadow
Knuckles
My hype for Knuckles is so great. My number 1 first third party most wanted, even over Scorpion. A mole based fighter is a seriously needed addition.

Alsorash

Smash Cadet
I know he isn't still deconfirmed, but given that Sephiroth joined as a Square rep, and Imran comments.. I fear for Sora inclusion honestly. I just think he can't make it in. Stupid Disney.

Rex is another one. I recently finished Xenoblade 2 and I think he is a great protagonist, even more than Homura/Hikari. But I know why both were chosen and it was great to see them. But I hope one day Rex can join in Smash too, maybe as a
master ductor with Pneuma

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm a little pet peeved Mr. Resetti isn't in and will probably be unlikely for a long time. Extraordinary potential there.

IzukuXYang4Life

Banned via Warnings
Dixie Kong

Krystal

Bandanna Waddle Dee

Hades From Kid Icarus

Porky From Earthbound

A Zelda Newcomer that's not a clone of Link Or Captain Falcon

Geno

A Resident Evil Rep Like Leon Or Jill

Crash Bandicoot

Mach Rider

I hate/loathe/despise the Newcomers Ultimate did get (Joker, The Guy From Dragon Quest, Sephiroth, Pyra And Mythra, Byleth, Piranha Plant, Isabella, Incineroar, Steve, ect.........).

And I never got why they needed to be added aside from Nintendo wanting to cash in on whatever is currently popular with Japanese Teenagers in today's generation.

I hate them with a firey passion.

And I wish the characters I mentioned were added instead of those characters I mentioned.

Feel free to either agree or disagree with me (I'm sticking to that opinion and there's nothing anyone can do to change that opinion).

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Dixie Kong

Krystal

Bandanna Waddle Dee

Hades From Kid Icarus

Porky From Earthbound

A Zelda Newcomer that's not a clone of Link Or Captain Falcon

Geno

A Resident Evil Rep Like Leon Or Jill

Crash Bandicoot

Mach Rider

I hate/loathe/despise the Newcomers Ultimate did get (Joker, The Guy From Dragon Quest, Sephiroth, Pyra And Mythra, Byleth, Piranha Plant, Isabella, Incineroar, Steve, ect.........).

And I never got why they needed to be added aside from Nintendo wanting to cash in on whatever is currently popular with Japanese Teenagers in today's generation.

I hate them with a firey passion.

And I wish the characters I mentioned were added instead of those characters I mentioned.

Feel free to either agree or disagree with me (I'm sticking to that opinion and there's nothing anyone can do to change that opinion).
They were added because they are influential video game characters that were highly requested that also fit the game well. Bandana Waddle dee is a generic character, King K Rool is a villain which Dixie isnt. Hades is from only a semi-popular game and they may have trouble with his move set. Porky would be another character from a dying franchise, Geno had trouble with his move set and he only debuted in one other game and was a mii, who is also owned by Square Enix. Resident Evil doesnt fit the tone of the game, and changing a character to fit the tone of the game would not be true to resident evil, as well as having issues with the move set. Crash is a Sony character, good luck making that happen. Mach rider would have been a pick from a dead franchise and have moveset issues.

Joker is from a popular game, has moveset potential. Hero is from one of the most influential games of all time, had insane moveset potential, and is extremely popular. Sephiroth is from a popular game, had moveset potential, and is a villain, which Smash lacks. Pyra/Mythra has great moveset potential, popular, and had a good way to introduce a unique switch mechanic, which only they have in this game. Byleth had moveset potential, is popular in Japan, and were much different than most other sword fighters. Plant... I have no excuse for. Isabelle is popular, and was able to be a clone. Clones are often added as last minute picks, so it was either Isabelle or no Isabelle. She did not steal a spot. Same with Daisy, Dark Samus, and Richter. Incineroar came from Pokémon, had moveset potential, is a popular Pokémon as well. Ridley is a villain, had moveset potential, and was a popular pick. Min-Min was a way to include a newer Nintendo IP with good moveset potential. Steve came from the best selling video game of all time with insane moveset potential. Inkling had good moveset potential and came from a popular game that was quite new. Ken came from street fighter and was a semi-clone, taking little time to make while also being unique. Simon came from a popular game with moveset potential. Terry came from a popular game that Sakurai himself enjoys with great moves potential. Chrom is another case of being a semi-clone that’s unique enough to be a separate character while also taking little time to make. Banjo was perhaps the most wanted DLC character that came from a popular game with moveset potential. Kazuya came from an insanely popular fighting game with amazing moveset potential and unique mechanics.

Literally only 1 character is an obvious cash-in, that being Min-Min, and they still made her a fun character. Many of them were not very popular with todays Japanese teens. For the ones that were, its a Japanese game made by a Japanese developer leaded by a Japanese man that is targeted torwards a Japanese demographic. It just feels like your the type of person who can’t be happy for the people who do get their character and find excuses why they shouldn’t have got in. I mean, I don’t like that some characters got in, but at least recognize that many of those characters had huge followings and were very much not shill picks like you said.

Last edited:

Bencaua

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't call Min Min a cash-in (IMO, at least) considering ARMS was meant to get a rep but was too recent so it was moved to DLC much like Pyra and Mythra, or so I've heard. And she was the most popular character in several occasions too like in character tests prior to release and Party Crashes.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I wouldn't call Min Min a cash-in (IMO, at least) considering ARMS was meant to get a rep but was too recent so it was moved to DLC much like Pyra and Mythra, or so I've heard. And she was the most popular character in several occasions too like in character tests prior to release and Party Crashes.
As far as DLC’s go, Min-Min is the most cash-in type character. She is from a game thats new but not very popular, so even if she was base game, it would be mostly to raise awareness to ARMS imo. Doesn’t mean she is a cash-in. She is just the character who is most like a cash in. A cash in would be like Nintendo making a new game but it isn’t very popular, so they put them in Smash as DLC with an uninteresting moveset. Min-Min is from a newer and not very popular game, but her move-set is unique enough to say that she isnt a cash-in and is actually made with passion.

Speaking of that, I think Neku may have been soft deconfirmed by both Hero and Sephiroth. At least he wasn’t Mii’d so next game Neku could be a very strong contender for a fourth Square Enix rep

way I see it, first party miis are safe for the next game (see Inkling, Isabelle, Chrom and K. Rool). Third party miis tho? Doomed to repeat their fate forever

Better watch your back, Lloyd...
Lloyd got de-confirmed sadly.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I actually had no idea Knuckles got a Mii custom in Smash Wii U/3DS or incredibly forgot due to my sheer want. It probably doesn't mean much, but to see Knuckles promoted to an assist in Ultimate is amazing when you take in the factor that he's more promoted over Shadow's current unfortunate circumstance, Knuckles being seemly one of the least requested newcomers. Its exciting that Sakurai is potentially acknowledging Knuckles uniqueness and seemly hinting towards the consideration of having Tails or Knuckles as the next possible Sonic newcomers if there were to be any.

Its definitely interesting.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
I think the only salt I have is that fact that Doom Guy got a Mii Costume and Master Chief didn't also get one (they are both owned by Microsoft, I don't see why they both couldn't have happened. Too samey? Can't be, they definitely have enough differences in looks and fans to warrant both of their inclusions. Not enough time? Could be, but I don't understand why Sora had to release on October 18 so that Master Chief couldn't get a costume worked on. The only real reason I can think of is maybe Nintendo just didn't ask which if that actually happened makes me more sad than salty)

Thanos6

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thanos6
I'm disappointed we haven't gotten Mike Jones.

I'm perplexed we haven't gotten Ryu Hayabusa.

But I'm infuriated we haven't gotten any characters from the 8 and 16 bit Final Fantasy games. You know, when it was a totally Nintendo native franchise.

Now, I admit, I can't stand Final Fantasy 7. I just want to be open and honest about that. But regardless, when Cloud was revealed, I wasn't mad, just annoyed. "Yeah yeah, he's popular for some reason, and his inclusion makes a lot of people happy. Fine."

And after that wore off, I actually felt heartened. They'd gotten him out of the way. Sakurai mentioned that he'd considered Bartz and Terra. If there was another FF character, it'd probably be one of them. Hopefully Terra. Or if they really wanted to mix things up, Kefka! He'd be great!

Because surely, surely, they wouldn't add ANOTHER character from FF7. They wouldn't insult the fanbase of every single other Final Fantasy game.

And then...Sephiroth.

When he was revealed, I let out this Godzilla-like roar of rage and frustration, then stomped out of my apartment to an empty corner of the building, screaming and cursing for the next five minutes.

Because I knew there was no way we were going to get a third FF rep this game, possibly any game. Because once again, FF7 got the royal treatment while the installments I love get relegated to bare-bones ports, a fighting game spin-off series that utterly destroyed itself, and mobile phone franchise crossovers.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

But I'm infuriated we haven't gotten any characters from the 8 and 16 bit Final Fantasy games. You know, when it was a totally Nintendo native franchise.

Now, I admit, I can't stand Final Fantasy 7. I just want to be open and honest about that. But regardless, when Cloud was revealed, I wasn't mad, just annoyed. "Yeah yeah, he's popular for some reason, and his inclusion makes a lot of people happy. Fine."

And after that wore off, I actually felt heartened. They'd gotten him out of the way. Sakurai mentioned that he'd considered Bartz and Terra. If there was another FF character, it'd probably be one of them. Hopefully Terra. Or if they really wanted to mix things up, Kefka! He'd be great!

Because surely, surely, they wouldn't add ANOTHER character from FF7. They wouldn't insult the fanbase of every single other Final Fantasy game.

And then...Sephiroth.

When he was revealed, I let out this Godzilla-like roar of rage and frustration, then stomped out of my apartment to an empty corner of the building, screaming and cursing for the next five minutes.

Because I knew there was no way we were going to get a third FF rep this game, possibly any game. Because once again, FF7 got the royal treatment while the installments I love get relegated to bare-bones ports, a fighting game spin-off series that utterly destroyed itself, and mobile phone franchise crossovers.
i went to bed

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236

And then...Sephiroth.

I hope that you are exaggerating.

Thanos6

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thanos6
It is because that was a very immature response to not getting the characters you want
I vented my frustrations in an isolated area where it bothered no one else, I didn't go online telling his fans I hate him or them, and I didn't issue death threats or harassment to anyone. I fail to see how that's immature.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I vented my frustrations in an isolated area where it bothered no one else, I didn't go online telling his fans I hate him or them, and I didn't issue death threats or harassment to anyone. I fail to see how that's immature.
it’s immature because you were genuinely distraught that a video game character didn’t make it into a video game. That’s an absurd reaction of extremes, and it certainly not healthy in the slightest.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
people cant control how the feel about things. we're not daleks
The problem is that he is affected so much by such a meaningless thing is unhealthy. You can be upset, but when “When he was revealed, I let out this Godzilla-like roar of rage and frustration, then stomped out of my apartment to an empty corner of the building, screaming and cursing for the next five minutes.”, that’s extremely problamatic. You should not be screaming and cursing for 5 minutes because your favorite characters didnt get in over somebody else’s favorite character that you persona don’t enjoy. You can be angry about the character chosen. Its when it consumes you that much is there a problem.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The problem is that he is affected so much by such a meaningless thing is unhealthy. You can be upset, but when “When he was revealed, I let out this Godzilla-like roar of rage and frustration, then stomped out of my apartment to an empty corner of the building, screaming and cursing for the next five minutes.”, that’s extremely problamatic. You should not be screaming and cursing for 5 minutes because your favorite characters didnt get in over somebody else’s favorite character that you persona don’t enjoy. You can be angry about the character chosen. Its when it consumes you that much is there a problem.
Why? No one was hurt not even the guy being upset. Sounds to me like plain old venting and have since got over it

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I thought the point of this thread was to vent feelings of disappointment.
If you wanna tell someone how to live their life-well, I'd hate to act like a mini-mod, but this just isn't the place for it. As for my two cents, I personally don't think that any negative feelings are invalid as long as you move on.

And then...Sephiroth.
I do like Sephiroth, but as someone who really wanted Black Mage or even Noctis before any other VII characters I understand your frustration.

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I thought the point of this thread was to vent feelings of disappointment.
If you wanna tell someone how to live their life-well, I'd hate to act like a mini-mod, but this just isn't the place for it. As for my two cents, I personally don't think that any negative feelings are invalid as long as you move on.

I do like Sephiroth, but as someone who really wanted Black Mage or even Noctis before any other VII characters I understand your frustration.
True

Thanos6

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thanos6
I have, in fact, "gotten over it." I don't sit in my room plotting revenge against whoever made the choice, I don't keep returning to that empty part of my apartment building to yell, I don't have a giant picture of Sephiroth I use as a dartboard. I indulge my negative feelings towards him by not playing as him and that's all.

Top Bottom