• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Decisive Games Introduction Thread (make sure to check the new forum rules as well!)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I remember my first game here. I got killed on N1 because I was
so threatening.

Kantrip

Kantplay
I'm just saying, it's good to avoid situations where a game starts, one of the players realizes they're in too deep, and replaces out within a day.

>_>

See: Spellcasters in Majora's Mask.
Yeah. This is very true. I replaced into that slot.

I think Courier's got 'dis, tho'.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I'm flattered but I don't even know if I'm the type that can play Mafia well.

[COLLAPSE="Long Exposition"]You see, while I do decently in Math and Physics (which require logic and analysis), these are courses where I have to put a lot of time into because the concepts are not things that come easily to me.

Classes like Biology and Humanities are where I tend to excel in. They require straight out memorization and much less analysis (imo). This is why I question whether or not I'm fit for Mafia. [/COLLAPSE]

I have never put focus on strategy, manipulation, and prediction into anything. This is the very reason why I'd like to try Mafia... also because somebody told me I should try the game and that the game is very fun.

With that said, I'd still like to try a normal game if that's all right with the host.

John2k4

The End of an Era
MM is where I learned most of my Mafia stuff.
I must say, the games are quite fun, and the DGames community is fun to play with. ;)

Kantrip

Kantplay
Remembering things can be pretty valuable in mafia, too. It may just mean your playstyle may cater to a different method than others'. Like recalling specific instances to call out contradictions that may go unnoticed to the less perceptive. That's something I can think of that you don't need to analyze to see. :)

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
It's terrible. If you ever want to excel there you must forget literally everything you currently know about mafia and play exactly how they want you to play or else its scummy and you're mindlessly bandwagoned.

There's less natural flow to games and more cold hard surface level logic which ends up mislynching more than doing any good.

Honestly saps the fun out of it for me.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Oh and Courier, I wouldn't worry about it.

I had never done anything with logic or argumentation before I started mafia and I turned out alright. I was very bad at first though, as many people can attest to, so don't worry about not starting out strong.

John2k4

The End of an Era
With how you describe it, it makes me think that they must hammer people almost instantly over D1 RVS... o.o

--

Kuz, I don't see how you could have ever been bad, with how you were playing in MM... :b:

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
With how you describe it, it makes me think that they must hammer people almost instantly over D1 RVS... o.o

--

Kuz, I don't see how you could have ever been bad, with how you were playing in MM... :b:
More people are needlessly put at L-1 on D1 (and are often unintentionally quickhammered by completely new players who have no idea what they're doing (often town)) on that site then epic mafia.

And that's saying something.

And I appreciate the compliment but everyone has to start somewhere and I certainly was no prodigy.

Kantrip

Kantplay
How long did it take you to find your groove, kuz?

I'm hoping it's an instantaneous thing and I just have to have some sort of triggering experience.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
There were specific moments that really made me reflect on how I played the game and helped change my playstyle but it definitely wasn't instantaneous.

The best advice I can give is just limit yourself to a small number of games (2 max imo) with better people and just really devote your attention to them. If you're doing things right, stick with it. If you're not, you'll get knocked on your *** and will learn from it.

You definitely learn more from those mistakes, though, so playing with better people who will capitalize on them is really essential.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Obtw it takes a fair amount of time to really capitalize on your mistakes, depending on how focused you are on fixing them. Like Kuz said, playing multiple games gets to a point where it can hinder the quality of your play. I've been in DGames for more than a year and have only played like... what... 20 games? Many might say that's a ridiculously small amount for the time, but I've just never been a fan of joining this one and that one and that one and that one and... Playing in a couple at a time gave me the ability to truly analyze and concentrate on those few and do the best that I can, rather than assert mediocrity in 9 games. But no matter what, just don't give up. You WILL suck, or at least think you suck, at the beginning. It takes a lot to get over it sometimes, but if you rough it out, you'll see the bad qualities turn into good qualities, and when you reflect on older games you'll say "Damn, that was me?" It happens to everyone :p.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Gorf that is incredibly motivating. ;)
He's Mafia Motivator...

--

I would be taking it easy, but there are a lot of interesting flavor games going on right now. I really hope that F&L doesn't fill up before I can join it. :)

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Yo dudes, remember when Seikend started out and I made that really nice post? I think I just did that again :cool:

Trust me dude, everybody has their own pace. EVERYONE wants to play as many games as they can get their hands on, I know, but pace yourself mang. It's good you're not just jumping in, but maybe letting a game slide wouldn't hurt while truly putting focus on your current game(s). Just my two cents. I'm not try'na demotivate you from joining, just saying that that's what I'd do in your situation, hell, even now I'd do that if I were in multiple games :p

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I'm flattered but I don't even know if I'm the type that can play Mafia well.

[COLLAPSE="Long Exposition"]You see, while I do decently in Math and Physics (which require logic and analysis), these are courses where I have to put a lot of time into because the concepts are not things that come easily to me.

Classes like Biology and Humanities are where I tend to excel in. They require straight out memorization and much less analysis (imo). This is why I question whether or not I'm fit for Mafia. [/COLLAPSE]

I have never put focus on strategy, manipulation, and prediction into anything. This is the very reason why I'd like to try Mafia... also because somebody told me I should try the game and that the game is very fun.

With that said, I'd still like to try a normal game if that's all right with the host.
you're overthinking it way too much. you'll see when you join a game that it's not that big of a deal.
I'd suggest reading at least part of a completed game, to see what you're in for. I think other people can recommend games to read.

There were specific moments that really made me reflect on how I played the game and helped change my playstyle
Yeah, I've had these "breakthroughs" but the problem is that over the course of time, I've forgotten most of them :x

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
yeah that and pokemafia were two games i thought of not mentioning

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Oh, is it bad there?

I've considered signing up there in a while (over holiday or something) to get some practice.
You should sign up just so you can come to realize how good this community is. Also, the forums look ugly as fffffff

But yeah, we've all been at the beginning of the beginning. In my second game (first on SWF), and the first game I was also scum in, I basically got quicklynched day2 after my partner was lynched day1. Because of my play, the other partner got shot night 2.

Then after playing games and games and games I started getting better. The real switch for getting me where I am now was Cello (an old player) though. He showed me some important things about the game, causing me to reflect differently.
And hell, even after playing countless games, I still feel like I got things to improve on. I'm not saying I learn something from EVERY game, but it all builds up gradually.

edit i should also really get back to sleep but its hard >_>

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Wow for the past like 3 days I've clicked on this thread and thought it was the Newbie mafia thread for some particular reason... :glare:.

Also, welcome Courier! The bathroom is down the hall, up the stairs. If you don't join a newbie game, you should at least read the Newbie Guide and the Flash Tutorial. It may also help to skim over one of our finished games to see a real game in action.

But most importantly, I suggest you not join a Large game first. Red Ryu's Fire and Lightning Mafia is a different twist on mafia, but it would also be a good place to start. It's an open set-up, so you don't have to worry about thinking about roles you barely know anything about.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
**** how long Lost is taking to fill.

/in small

Werekill, if Red Ryu is accepting anymore hydras, we can fusion dance for this one.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I would at least be active. Werekill and I have just talked about hydraing for a while.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
It's terrible. If you ever want to excel there you must forget literally everything you currently know about mafia and play exactly how they want you to play or else its scummy and you're mindlessly bandwagoned.

There's less natural flow to games and more cold hard surface level logic which ends up mislynching more than doing any good.

Honestly saps the fun out of it for me.
Ditto all the way, man.

Oh, and /in F&L

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Probably wont join a game for a while then. Im going to israel in early january and I probably wont get a hold of anyone. Hope a good game is on queue when I get back.

Inb4loststillinqueue

:phone:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Probably wont join a game for a while then. Im going to israel in early january and I probably wont get a hold of anyone. Hope a good game is on queue when I get back.

Inb4loststillinqueue

:phone:
I heard Israel is awesome. I've always wanted to visit the Wailing Wall and see other religious sites of interest. I hope you have a lot of fun on the trip.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
You could do what I do. Mafia no longer eats up my time. I simply make sure I spend one period of time each day catching up until I'm current and getting whatever I need to have out there. I then check it again when I have time or I want to. I can sit down for long enough to read 2-5 pages (40PPP master race) even if I don't want to.

Top Bottom