• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Death Note

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
So the series
reportedly should be going downhill about now but episode 27 didn't seem to bad aside from the obvious "HEY KIRA WE ARE STANDING IN FOR L NOW HA HA" and lack of actual L. From what I heard the latter half of the manga was paced too slowly, but since the first half was 26 episodes and it's a 37 episode series I guess they're compressing it so that should be alright.

Also I hear it gets into more recursive thought pattern stuff a la tennis match (he thinks I'm Kira so he thinks I'll do this, so I'll do that, but then he knows I know he thinks I'm Kira so I can't do that or he'll know I know, so I'll do this other thing, but then he knows I would do THAT if I were Kira so I'll just do the first thing. BUT--etc.

I will probably still watch the rest of the series unless it gets worse than mediocre.

Aken Sol

Smash Cadet
Aken Sol has wandered across the universe but it s
Have you guys seen the movies of Death Note? I know they haven't released the second one in the U.S. yet but I was hoping if any of you can tell me if they're any good. I finished reading all the manga and waiting on the completion of the anime. It's popularity is pretty high though, they've even have a prequel novel about L and and a DS game of it made in Japan :)

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I absolutely hated the way L died. It was too amature for my tastes. Rem is stupid and really shouldn't have sacrificed himself. Not only that, he should have killed Light for revenge before he killed Watari and L. The whole scene was just a bit too lame for me. Episode 25 as a whole was pretty weird as well. There were these constant flashbacks and images that I dont really understand. Perhaps it had something to do with Japanese culture I'm unaware of. Yeah, I cant say I liked that episode. I did notice the whole Jesus reference though.

Currently waiting episode 28. I hope they can pull it off.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I disagree completely, I loved Episode 25. The symbolism was great.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Wah? Really?

What was with that crying kid all the time? What were those weird patterns that just came out of nowhere? I thought those might have been stained glass windows.

And it wasn't as if the symbolism would have saved
the crappy way L died. Light already came up with the idea that Rem should kill L a long time ago.
Bleck. :urg:I wanted him to do the job of finding L's name himself.

Though I'll admit the scene where L washed Light's feet tugged the old heart strings a little.

Wuss

Smash Champion
agreed but
I think that rem didn't kill light because she didn't want misa to be f***ed over and kill herself after his death. Although rem says she helps misa because of jealous, she (he?) obviously really loves Misa, and wants her to be happy. Killing light would not make misa happy...
also, The two new people look so strange...

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
What was with that crying kid all the time? What were those weird patterns that just came out of nowhere? I thought those might have been stained glass windows.
Flashbacks to L's childhood.

If you want to know L's name, it was
Lawliet
. Though personally, I'm glad you didn't find his name out in the show, it wasn't something that really needed to be revealed, and it helps keep him as a mysterious person.

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
This show is great. I got immediately hooked on it. Watched up till episode 29 in a matter of 3 days lol. I must say though
I'm mad L died and even more mad at the way he died.
:urg:

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
EOR, why exactly is it that you hate anime's? just wondering. in general i dont like how a lot of anime have to much talking in them. i need to watch animes that have a lot of action for me to enjoy it. or it has to have a really good storyline. thats why i watch naruto and full metal alchemist respectively. ofcousre naruto has its bad moments ( the filler episodes) but withall the other episodes being so good, and the 2nd season airing in japan right now you cant go wrong. i am very interested in this anime though and i will post back here when i see enough to make a decision about this anime...peace

-hiroshi

MuseLives

Smash Journeyman
Enjoying some leisurely chaos...in New Jersey
Death Note Parody: "School Note"

I've been a pretty big fan of Death Note for a while, but I just came across these videos on youtube today and found them pretty entertaining. Apparently the guy who made these took the raws of some episodes and put in his own subtitles to create his own script. These aren't straight out episodes, just bits and pieces put together with the script, some music alterations, and such. There are only two episodes out right now, but there should be more in the making. Personally, I think the part twos of both parts are more entertaining (though its all pretty good), but they make a lot more sense when you see the part ones first (though you'll have to sit through the opening theme song...)

NOTE: POSSIBLE SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED MUCH OF THE SHOW OR READ MUCH OF THE MANGA.

Links:

shoot they took down epsode 1 :(

Episode 2, Part 1

Episode 2, Part 2

Am I just twisted and juvenile, or are these funny?

alpha n00b

Smash Ace
the plot really intriges me... i just don't the art style, it's just so nerdy & unrealistic. this would be a great novel, & prolly the only novel worth reading to me.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
the plot really intriges me... i just don't the art style, it's just so nerdy & unrealistic. this would be a great novel, & prolly the only novel worth reading to me.
Death Note's style is "nerdy & unrealistic?" Compared to what? Death Note's style is one of the most realistic styles I've seen an a cartoon for a long time, anime or otherwise.

I'm really not sure where you're coming from on this one.

animan

Smash Cadet
man i loved the seires when i ferst came out bud after L's death it has gone down
a little but i will watch it to the end if i didn't i would not be animan i can't wait episode 33 will be sub by tomarrow

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
EOR, why exactly is it that you hate anime's? just wondering. in general i dont like how a lot of anime have to much talking in them. i need to watch animes that have a lot of action for me to enjoy it. or it has to have a really good storyline. thats why i watch naruto and full metal alchemist respectively. ofcousre naruto has its bad moments ( the filler episodes) but withall the other episodes being so good, and the 2nd season airing in japan right now you cant go wrong. i am very interested in this anime though and i will post back here when i see enough to make a decision about this anime...peace

-hiroshi

I just dislike their art style. And no, that's not shallow. For me, it's the same as watching a movie with terrible acting. If a character goes "WHA!!?!?!?" with a sweat drop on his head, or a few things that are done in this anime (L falling over after hearing of Shinigami, almost everything Misa does after episode 16) just annoy me.

And, besides that, I'm not into japanese stuff. I think Misa is annoying as hell, not cute or funny. The whole "Robot moon warrior cat elves" plots that are going around make me not want to watch them.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
hmm

lets face it, death note is over dramaticized. But step out of the zone of death note and consider all anime, its ridiculous. Half the time there is a long pause and people just stare at each other. Dbz, bleach, jump super star animes.

Grey Fox

Smash Journeyman
When i think of long pasues in anime the first thing that comes to mind is DBZ.
Goku screams about the whole episode while turning super sayin 3 lol.
anyways.
So this weeks episode the last one????????

Wuss

Smash Champion
yea, last one is this week. and I agree about misa EOR, she is just annoying. But I think that those things in anime that happen, (sweat drop and falling on the floor) are stylistic and kind of cool. meh...
when L falls to the floor after hearing about shinigami, I thought it was funny, cause it was such a normal anime thing, but not the type of thing that would happend in Death note, almost like a spoof...

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Now that was a great ending

Edit: Also, go to the vizmedia website. Go to the deathnote section, and check out trailer 3. Worst dub ever.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Great is stretching is a big, but I guess it was somewhat fitting.

K so I'm gonna do my take on this whole series.
For the record I'm an Agnostic, but this baby has Lucifers fall from glory written all over it. First off most of symbolism is going to be just that. It symbolizes, represents another idea. It isn't a direct substitute. Anways, Light is symbolic of Lucifer. Lucifer is all so commonly referred to as the Angel of "Light" or simply translated as simply the ["Light" bearer.] The origin of sin also came from Lucifer: wanting to be God and creating his perfect society. Sound familiar? The apostle Paul tells us that Satan is able to transform himself into an angel of light when it best suits his purposes (see 2 Corinthians 11:14-15). And it is Satan's plan to make his work, along with the work of his agents, to appear like the work of God. Thus he can deceive more people. Likewise, Kira decieves the masses as well as the investigation when he became simply Light for deception. Arrogance, pride, and deception: all fundamental characteristics of Light and Lucifer.

Transgressing a bit here to the "Garden of Eden" apples are symbolic of the "forbidden fruit of knowledge." In both the intro and outro, Light and Ryuk are some how exchanging the apple. This "fruit" of power is the death note, as seen when the apple fades into the death note at the end of the intro. Since Light is just mortal, the power of the death note corrupts him.

Back to the characters... L symbolized Jesus [L-Lord?] He was selfless and, when traced, died for the sins of others. Kind of interesting to note that the only time he closed his eyes in the entire series is when he died. Which is also cool because Light died in the exact same fashion as L did. They were both killed by shinigami, and both had the same eye closing sequence, possibly due to the shared fates made with the handcuffs. Mello and Near resembled the Archangels Michael and Gabriel respectively. Michael was a soldier in God's army against Lucifer, giving Mello the more aggressive persona. Meanwhile Gabriel's attribute was awareness. I'm guessing to be aware of what's near, and analyzing the battlefield.

Well that was fun, probably not what was intended, but it ended up having a lot of relevence. Now, while the ending was pretty good, I think it could have been better if it followed the possible allegory it set up. God didn't destroy Satan because it wouldn't have answered the charges against God's intention. In the case of death note, it dealt with man's free will to choose to be good or evil. Anyways God merely cast him out of heaven to show the universe what his "better society" would ultimately evolve to. I feel that a better ending would have been if Kira ultimately ended up in some sort of hell. A place which everyone was evil and the option of killing the entire population would leave him alone. Alone to rule his perfect society with no one to rule over. I was hoping for a possibility of this when the second intro ends with his world shattering and Light appearing in a grey desolation, possibly the shinigami realm. I got my hopes up when Ryuk mentioned that those who use the Death Note go to neither heaven nor hell, but I guess in the last episode it was revealed that the path for all humans is nothingness. poop.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
I made the bad choice of seeing the second movie before watching the series (in my defense, I was at the Anime Expo and my friend dragged me to see it).

It was one of the worst films I'd ever seen. The directing was beyond terrible, the acting was a mixed bag, and the 3D guy wasn't even that well done. That didn't stop every fan girl in the audience from screaming whenever he appeared though.

My friend assured me that the anime is much better. I'm gonna take his word for it and watch the anime before I give a full opinion on this franchise.

Kashimaru

Smash Apprentice
Nice anime overall, but.. worst end ever.. too much of a happy ending! IMO Kira had to become the new God D: !

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
I loved that show my sig is a pic of me kinda based on like when they do the whole thinking thing and for some reason his hair goes red..., I wonder what the eng dubs will be like, I bet they will totally **** it up.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
The live-action movie (although having some bad acting in certain parts) is definitely better than both the anime and manga, especially the lack of time skip and better ending. I suggest it to anyone who wants to see a better version of Death Note.

I don't like Death Note at all, though, really. It's kinda okay at the start, with the theme of "mature story made for kid" with it, it pulls it off pretty good (not as well as other similar manga like Monster, though), but doesn't provide anything amazing. Then it goes to Part 2... Ugh, I hated that part so much.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
The live-action movie (although having some bad acting in certain parts) is definitely better than both the anime and manga, especially the lack of time skip and better ending. I suggest it to anyone who wants to see a better version of Death Note.

I don't like Death Note at all, though, really. It's kinda okay at the start, with the theme of "mature story made for kid" with it, it pulls it off pretty good (not as well as other similar manga like Monster, though), but doesn't provide anything amazing. Then it goes to Part 2... Ugh, I hated that part so much.
I up to volume 6 in the manga, and I can safely say that this is not the case.

The manga does indeed live up to the hype. I haven't seen the anime, but judging by what I've heard, it's just as good as the manga.

Anyone looking for a great comic should pick this one up ASAP. It's one of my favorite mangas, and I'm sure it'll be yours to/

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
i got hooked into this anime and finished the episode within the span of a few days. it's such a gripping story and it's like one big mind game betwen Light and L/Near. After that, I saw the 2 live-action movies. while the anime seemed more well-done in general since they had more time to go into the details of the story, the movies were still pretty good. I actually preferred the ending for the live-action movie, since
L doesn't die 2/3 of the way through and gets replaced with an L wannabe half his age and there's no big time jump.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
One thing has always bothered be about Death Note: What was Light planning on doing once he had run out of pages? Hmm? Someone didn't think his cunning plan all the way through.

Wuss

Smash Champion
i got hooked into this anime and finished the episode within the span of a few days. it's such a gripping story and it's like one big mind game betwen Light and L/Near. After that, I saw the 2 live-action movies. while the anime seemed more well-done in general since they had more time to go into the details of the story, the movies were still pretty good. I actually preferred the ending for the live-action movie, since
L doesn't die 2/3 of the way through and gets replaced with an L wannabe half his age and there's no big time jump.
I didn't like that,
that L doesn't die in the live action movie, I think that it's important that Light is able to defeat L.
I didn't really like the live action movie very much...

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
What I didn't see that anywhere in the manga; what Chapter was this mentioned in? :confused:
I don't remember, I haven't read much of the manga. I'm pretty sure Ryuk says it in the show. Either that or it's one of the rules that show up in the eyecatch. In the pilot for the manga, the Death Note owner is given a new notebook whenever they run out of pages.

Konpaku, the site those links are to is down forever, the owner got arrested or something. Pretty recently, too, like earlier this week I think.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
On the 18th

You have to find them on a torrent website. But that would be illegal, so don't

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Has anyone else got the soundtrack? It's really good.

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
I didn't like that,
that L doesn't die in the live action movie, I think that it's important that Light is able to defeat L.
I didn't really like the live action movie very much...

L still died in the movie. he wrote his name in the death note to protect himself from dying sooner, but he still died after Light's dad left the room.

I still liked the anime alot, but I didn't really like the direction it went in 2/3 of the way through.

Top Bottom