• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Death Note

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer

Without a doubt one of the greatest things I have ever seen.

I have a deep loathing of the anime style, yet I can't help but love this show. It's seriously amazing. I'm waiting updates of it almost more then I am of Lost.

Death Note is about a young man, name Yagami Light, who is fed up with the current state of the world (aka Crimson King). During a school day, he sees a notebook fall, seemingly from the sky, and land in a courtyard. Looking at it, the notebook is written with instructions, claiming that anyone's name who is written in the Notebook will die.

He messes around with it, thinking it's some tasteless prank. But, soon enough, he discovers that it is real, and is from the real of Death Gods. The owner of it comes to visit him soon, and follows him around.

Realizing what power he now has, Light decides to finally turn the world into a better place. He starts to kill every criminal aired, across the world. He hopes that soon, people will be too afraid to commit crimes, and he, Light, will be the God of this new utopia.

Soon enough, all of the murders get noticed, and Interpol sends their best detective, only known by the alias L, to find out who is killing everyone.

It is basically a spy-film, done periodically. Mind games on top of Minds games. The entire thing is done amazingly well. Seriously, I hate anime, and I cannot stop watching this show.

You can find all of the episodes (with english subs) at deathnoteanime.com

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Hey, the manga's good stuff too.

I've gotta warn you though, if the anime continues to follow the manga, expect the series to go into decline in the latter half of its run. After a certain event in the manga, it just wasn't as enjoyable or intelligent as it used to be.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I (accidentally) read a part of what happened, so I'm guessing what you are referring to is when
L dies
. I was hoping that wouldn't kill the series, as I really enjoy how it is now.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
the series goes on after said event, but it gets slower. I read quite far into the series but lots all steam, even though I am almost done with the series.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Yeah, Death Note is absolutely awesome. . .the sheer amount of intricacy in every part of Light's planning is absolutely mind-boggling. The amount of mindgames in the manga makes chess and Smash look weak.

And I really have to agree with Mediocre, as well. After the end of the 1st arc,
when L dies
, everything goes downhill. If anything, you're probably better off just dropping Death Note at the end of the 1st arc, because in comparison, the second arc has no mindgames, intrigue, and complexity at all.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
And I really have to agree with Mediocre, as well. After the end of the 1st arc,
when L dies
, everything goes downhill. If anything, you're probably better off just dropping Death Note at the end of the 1st arc, because in comparison, the second arc has no mindgames, intrigue, and complexity at all.
Well, I wouldn't say that.

The second arc has everything that the first arc had, it's just that none of it is as good.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Thanks for recommending this. I've been hearing a bit about it but never really looked into it, thinking it would be the guy with the notebook killing all the bullies at school and people who hurt his family and friends and stuff. Then he gets all angsty and agonizes for episodes on end about his decisions.But I watched the first six episodes and they're great, the mindgames and basically the whole plot is just what I want to see.

Light, L, and Ryuk are very cool characters. My favourite scene so far is L caling out Kira. I suppose my one complaint so far is that L seems too good and never seems to jump to wrong conclusions even if they're just as viable. ALso I'm surprised the police officers aren't investigating the murder method. You'd think they be calling in scientists and stuff to see if he's using some sort of microwave or radiation or something.

Also, I thought that
L, do you know...Death Gods....only eat apples?"
was hilarious.

Has this writer done anything else this good?

Anyone who doesn't use spoiler tags in this thread gets their name written down. And uh, I'll find your picture on myspace or something.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Has this writer done anything else this good?
Nope, this was the writer's first (and so far only) manga. The name he gives is Tsugumi Ohba, but a lot of people think that it's a pen name.

The artist of the manga is a different guy (Takeshi Obata), and he's done other stuff, but since you're watching the anime you probably don't care too much about him. He's a really good artist though. The anime takes a lot of its style and character from his work on the manga.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'm loving it. It has interesting characters, and an interesting plot.

I can't wait for episode 19!

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
The graphic novel is incredible. Actually my fave manga I've read. So sadistic and it gets you thinking so much. I always have the most sinister look on my face after reading a volume.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
How the crap do you guys come by these shows? Its an amazing show, but I never would of known about it if not for you.
Someone mentioned it as being amazing in the other anime thread. I hate anime, and was going to give up my search for an anime that I can stand, after the bitter disappointment (and boredom) that was Elfen Lied. Surprise, this was good.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
well if you were using elfen lied as a gateway anime than that was a bad choice. I hope you find good anime, if you do keep looking.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
If you guys like this and are trying to find other anime shows you'd like, I'd recommend Berserk and/or Monster.

Give 'em a shot, anyway.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
I was going to recommend Berserk and Monster, too. I think I recommended them in Eorlingas' Elfen Lied thread. Even though Mediocre and I are both recommending them together, they're not really similar shows aside from the fact that they have interesting plots and characters and are aimed at adults. And I guess they're pretty violent, Berserk much more so than Monster or Death note. If you like the crime drama kinda stuff, go for Monster. If you're into the occult aspects, try Berserk. Though it's mostly a medival fantasy deal.

I guess some other gateway anime are Cowboy Bebop and Last Exile, though they seem to be aimed at a slightly younger audience. And the first episode or two of Last Exile have some dumb scenes, but I think the show takes off once they get on the Sylvana which is a few episodes in.

Also, watching L has affected my posture dramatically.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Misa is starting to kill the show for me. Her facial expressions make me want to punch something in the face.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
I think we're not supposed to like Misa. But I pretty much don't care about any of the minor characters. So I didn't really like episode 18. And it looks like the next episode is going to focus on that other young detective guy. I'm tempted to read the spoilers to see if we're at the end of the first arc yet. I hope that
Light gets the Death Note back soon, somehow.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Just saw Episode 20, thought it was very good. Much better then the last three.

Though I hate the new opening/closing credit.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Yeah, someone told me episode 20 would be the most boring part of the Yotsuba arc but it's one of the best so far. The phone call to the Yotsuba guy, L asking Light to succeed him, and L splitting with everyone then getting Misa to join him were all great. And I thought Misa grabbing them both and dacing around in a ring was hilarious.

And yeah I don't like the new opening either. The first one was so awesome, the new one is boring except for the music, which is I guess not for everyone. But hey, Death Note may as well have Death Metal.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I actually thought the Ring was the dumbest part of it. I'm disliking almost ever scene she appears in.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I've really, really enjoyed the last two episodes. Episode 23 I think is one of my favorites, although I do not know why. It was just interesting.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
If you want a truly mind-bursting anime, then check out Paranoia Agent. It's easily one of the top three greatest animes I've ever seen. It's almost like an animated version of the Twilight Zone. Every episode leaves you thinking, and in a good way.

Check that out if you haven't already Eorlingas. I guarantee you wont be dissapointed.

Wuss

Smash Champion
I just started watching this show 2 days ago, and I am already finished with all 23 episodes, it's so addicting!!! I can't wait till
Light gets the note back
One thing I like so much, is how you like and dislike light at the same time. For me at least, he isn't either good or bad...

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Episode 24 is BADASS.

Spoilers below for that episode:

I mean, I already knew Light's plan since I accidentally spoiled it for myself reading other websites. But still totally wicked. And I didn't see the angle Light had with his second rule: When I first read it I figured it was to make sure that whoever got it would have to keep killing just so it would look like Light could not be Kira all the way back when he and Misa were imprisoned.

They should have created a new openign for this episode, the theme song being Back in Black. I realized how much I miss EVIL LIGHT and his sidekick RYUK THE APLLESLAYER. SOme of the scenes in this episode were jut totally badass-looking, like Light's "I'm a god**** GOD" inner monologue and Ryuk standing behind Light and Misa at the end.

Also, is it just me or is L kinda like Batman? Both very rich, detectives, have wicked butlers, and a secret identity they use to fight crime. Of course we'll have to wait until L dresses up in his L-Man costume and ties up Light with his L-arang and has him sent to Arkham Asylum. Also L could very well just BE Batman since he is the world's other top detectives and Batman's a wicked detective too.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I've always thought of Batman as more of a vigilante type of guy

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
What are you guys using to watch this? I can't anything after episode 14 anywhere.

Help me out please :D

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
youtube sucks

Deathnoteanime.com

Just make an account there and download, I use Divx or Winamp to watch the videos.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
youtube sucks
>_> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDcGjy9NB4Q

I decided to watch Deathnote today for the first time and this was the first thing I clicked on. I was really starting to worry about you guys. :p Good thing it isn't the real deal.

Just finished the first episode. Wow. I just wish I hadn't read all the spoilers in this thread.

Edit:
L is too good.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
heck yea, deathnote is so sweet. its very suspenseful and leaves u guessing after every episode. but it seems kind of fake how L is so smart. but i guess thats why hes the best detective out there.

im only on episode 12 so no spoilers plz! and i hope i didnt reveal and spoilers. i dont think i did..
anyway deathnote is getting rather popular

edit : i agree eorlingas, youtube sux, its quality is less than mediocre, and watching it in that small box is a pain. of course u can full screen it but i think that makes the quality worse. even tho ive watched many anime on youtube, i sitll say it sux

Sandy

Smash Champion
Not to spam but, what song comes to mind when you think of DeathNote?
For me it would be, "Dead" by My Chemical Romance.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
i think of the opening theme song lol
how original right? i dunno after hearing it so much its become quite catchy, and i think it fits death note well.

but other than that i guess the song would have to be "cryptic winterstorms" by immortal
that songs a bit too black metal for death note tho

Wuss

Smash Champion
I use crunchyroll.com, streaming is free with an account (free), and I download using realitylapse.com. they both work really well...

I love this series...

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Wow, the plot of this sounds EXCELLENT. Much like Write/Read( i dont know) or die.
Death Note is great, but it's absolutely nothing like Read or Die. I really don't understand the comparison.

If you're looking for other anime or manga like Death Note, I'd recommend Monster or Paronoia Agent, or perhaps Serial Experiments Lain. Those are all good, mature shows with a strong element of mystery or suspense.

ROD is more a shounen action show than anything else.

EDIT: Vagabond and Berserk are both excellent mature manga too, although not suspenseful in the same way that Death Note is.

Top Bottom