• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DDD's standing infinite should not be banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
Actually... Hardly anything is banned in DDR.
stopped reading there.

i can say, as a LUCARIO main(whom is not infinited by D3), that DDD is not even close to fight against... i only fight against D3 as Lucario if i got unlucky with my counterpicking... i otherwise refuse to use anyone except Kirby or Falco if the person CPs Dedede.

i wouldn't terribly mind D3's standing infinite being banned, for the sake of having a bigger turnout, and thus more competition, at tournaments.

in short i would rather it be banned, but it dosent exactly hurt me to have it not banned...

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Ankoku, I didn't say I was supporting it for those reasons.

But it's also a lot easier to ban an infinite that uses the same move repeatingly then it is to say "You can't ftilt this char. more then x times"

Also the ftilt lock is escapable with proper SDI and DI (though it is hard). Either that, or I'm a very horrible tester.

EDIT:
Also, something does not have to be "global" to be "fair". How do you think removing Sheik's ftilt from the Fox matchup makes the matchup compared to removing DDD's infinite from the DK matchup?

I'd say without the ftilt lock, it leans towards 50-50 or Fox's favor. However, without the infinite... DDD still counters DK...

So it becomes "It's still hard, it's still stupid not to CP, but if you want to do it you can - and actually have a chance at winning."

chic

Smash Ace
ive had lots of people who dont even play d3 but just learned the infinite do it against my luigi in matches... really makes me wonder why i should even bother sometimes

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
only a$$holes want the d3 infinite. d3 already has amazing priority and is a top tier character. the infinite is also incredibly easy to do that. its so easy to do that an idiot could do it. d3 already has an advantage over samus, bowser, wolf (ledge infinite), mario, dk, and luigi. The only character who would be decent against d3 without the infinite is luigi. d3 has more matches in his favor then any character just from his normal cg and easy spacing capabilities. the only supporters of the infinite seem to be d3 mains ( yeah wtf you can do other stuff to make matchups bad) and mk mains (it doesnt affect them). if the infinite truely becomes legal i ensure a majority of this community would quit or be forced to not use certain characters. being forced not to use a character because of d3's infinite is truely ridiculous.

d3 has 21 characters whose matchups are labeld 60:40 or worst. he already makes matches unplayable so why would the infinite be a good thing? it isnt. plain and simple.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
only a$$holes want the d3 infinite. d3 already has amazing priority and is a top tier character. the infinite is also incredibly easy to do that. its so easy to do that an idiot could do it. d3 already has an advantage over samus, bowser, wolf (ledge infinite), mario, dk, and luigi. The only character who would be decent against d3 without the infinite is luigi. d3 has more matches in his favor then any character just from his normal cg and easy spacing capabilities. the only supporters of the infinite seem to be d3 mains ( yeah wtf you can do other stuff to make matchups bad) and mk mains (it doesnt affect them). if the infinite truely becomes legal i ensure a majority of this community would quit or be forced to not use certain characters. being forced not to use a character because of d3's infinite is truely ridiculous.

d3 has 21 characters whose matchups are labeld 60:40 or worst. he already makes matches unplayable so why would the infinite be a good thing? it isnt. plain and simple.
I play Wolf.

The infinite should not be banned.

:059:

SuSa

The infinites should be, but it comes down to the TO.

Also Ankoku, the ban isn't supported by the SBR, and is only happening in certain areas. Thus my argument of my area was correct.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
ive had lots of people who dont even play d3 but just learned the infinite do it against my luigi in matches... really makes me wonder why i should even bother sometimes

I've had lots of people CP Falco against me.
I think we should ban his lazers.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
why not ban it? most of the top DDD's don't even bother using it in the match ups. so lets just say if you want to be a top DDD player then you don't get to use it. co18 didn't use it against me at genesis where it was allowd and still beat me pretty hard and I'm one of the better DK's out there.

-Ripple

tocador

Smash Lord
why not ban it? most of the top DDD's don't even bother using it in the match ups. so lets just say if you want to be a top DDD player then you don't get to use it. co18 didn't use it against me at genesis where it was allowd and still beat me pretty hard and I'm one of the better DK's out there.

-Ripple
Well maybe you just suck that much?

JKJKJKJKJKJKJKJKJK, please dont kill me, im just kidding :p.

But yeah, i think when in serious competition people(some of them) have morals and such, and think that standing infinite is just plain stupid, and he pretty much just wanted a good match agaisnt you :p.

Well, im for the infi-ban, duno why, but i just know its the best to do.

@Gehb: The day you get infinited you shall feel the pain =/.

Tien2500

Smash Lord

Well there is a big difference. For instance I play ZSS so Falco is a bad matchup. But if someone who is not an experienced Falco player picks Falco to counter me they'll be destroyed.

But if I picked Dedede and practiced for a day or so on the chaingrab I'm pretty sure I could beat some very good DK players.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Yeahhh...uhhh...the basic thing about banning it isn't that it's broken or any **** like that. It's a trade-off. You lose something that really doesn't matter that much for your character anyway (I mean seriously...like everyone else said, all these matches are still in your advantage without the infinite), and suddenly a few characters become more viable. You'd have to be rather selfish and ignorant to not see that there are more pros to banning it than there are cons.

It's kinda like wobbling in Melee (you bring in Melee, so will I), only wobbling didn't really do anything but make it easier for the IC to 0-death you (which a good IC could do anyway with CGs) and make a match look more boring, and it's basically banned because of it (or so I'm led to believe? Correct me if I'm wrong). Do you see IC mains complaining about this though? Nope. Now quit whining about losing something you don't need, can easily avoid using, and shouldn't even really care about in the first place, and do it for the greater good.

And I honestly don't care if I sound dumb for this post, because I've basically just told you to do the exact same thing as you're telling a lot of other people to do; and that is to man up. The only difference is that mine is a lot more reasonable of a request.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The infinites should be, but it comes down to the TO.

Also Ankoku, the ban isn't supported by the SBR, and is only happening in certain areas. Thus my argument of my area was correct.
So you are specifically stating that the ban is relevant and supported in your area and thus should be in effect in your area, and that's all your post was saying.

Uh, okay. cool story bro

bobson

Smash Lord
It's kinda like wobbling in Melee (you bring in Melee, so will I), only wobbling didn't really do anything but make it easier for the IC to 0-death you (which a good IC could do anyway with CGs) and make a match look more boring, and it's basically banned because of it (or so I'm led to believe? Correct me if I'm wrong). Do you see IC mains complaining about this though? Nope. Now quit whining about losing something you don't need, can easily avoid using, and shouldn't even really care about in the first place, and do it for the greater good.
Wobbling isn't banned.

On topic, this is all very amusing to me because people are starting to lose their tolerance for completely stupid bull**** despite the fact that it isn't truly broken.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I play Wolf.

The infinite should not be banned.

:059:
I play Sonic.

I can go either way but slightly prefer pro-ban for personal reasons.

:093:

I'd be game if people wouldn't question my credibility soon after.

why not ban it? most of the top DDD's don't even bother using it in the match ups. so lets just say if you want to be a top DDD player then you don't get to use it. co18 didn't use it against me at genesis where it was allowd and still beat me pretty hard and I'm one of the ONLY DK's out there.

-Ripple
Fixed.

-Kinzer

I must say, I love that sig.

Wobbling isn't banned.
Not by the SBR anyway.

SuSa

So you are specifically stating that the ban is relevant and supported in your area and thus should be in effect in your area, and that's all your post was saying.

Uh, okay. cool story bro
Which dude. That's the entire idea behind this thread.

Why are people banning it in areas?

I gave our reasons.

Are you blind?

Or do you JUST DOESN'T KNOW?

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
So we should ban the turtle to make the Jigglypuff match-up better?

RDK

Smash Hero
There are 38 other characters in Brawl. Pick one.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Wobbling isn't banned.
it's basically banned
'Basically' meaning that although it's not official, quite a few areas that consistently carry Melee tournaments (and have notable IC players) have it banned quite frequently. It does little to change the game by any means, but it's still banned. And IC mains work around it without much of a care. That was basically the point.

RDK

Smash Hero

Except the other 3 in the exact same situation.

Nice math.
So what? That's still makes 35 other characters you can choose from. You're completely missing the point yet again.

SuSa

If you are picking someone else because you have a disadvantage, your math is still way off.

Just posting the idea of maybe "I suck with everyone but the character I main. That is why I main them."

Which is a totally legit excuse for not switching characters.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
What I do to stop it

Me-"o you picked ddd, do u do the infinite?
DDD main- "yea i do"
me-"picks metaknight

or

Me-"o u picked ddd, do u do the infinite?"
DDD main-"no, i think it's gay"
Me- "picks luigi and has a fun match

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
So what? That's still makes 35 other characters you can choose from. You're completely missing the point yet again.
So what exactly is the point of defending free win CP's vs DK or anyone else he can infinite? What is there to gain from keeping his infinite?

RDK

Smash Hero
If you are picking someone else because you have a disadvantage, your math is still way off.

Just posting the idea of maybe "I suck with everyone but the character I main. That is why I main them."

Which is a totally legit excuse for not switching characters.
What the hell are you talking about dude? When did sucking with a main ever enter into the conversation? I was talking about how he's stupid to think that he has to quit the game just because his main gets infinited by one character. Pick another character out of the large amount available that don't get infnited instead of being a whiner.

And if you suck with everyone besides your main, that's your problem for not being a versatile player. I can't see you winning very many tournament matches anyway, so no use crying over spilt milk.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Something for you to think about. The growing trend with the top players is to play one character and no secondaries. While it has to be a good character, Luigi and DK could fit into this category if the infinite/small step chaingrab was banned.

RDK

Smash Hero
Something for you to think about. The growing trend with the top players is to play one character and no secondaries. While it has to be a good character, Luigi and DK could fit into this category if the infinite/small step chaingrab was banned.
Again: so what? When's the last time something was banned over something so trivial?

Banning is a major step to take in any competitive community. Characters get boned; anyone who plays fighting games knows this. Just get over it and pick someone else. The terrible logic pro-ban is using is astounding. If you have your way with D3's infinite, who's to say I can't whine about how my favorite character gets gayed out by some other move slightly lower on the broken scale?

How broken does a move have to be? I've asked this once already, but nobody's provided any solid data yet. Until you do, you're drawing an arbitrary line in the sand.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero

If we assume that Brawl devlopes like most fighting games have in the past, this will continue for a good while, then we will see people branch out. Melee players are 'branching out' to an extreme now, like Mango going C. Falcon.

SuSa

When did change mean so ****ing much?

**** Republicans.

(I'm not even Pro-Ban, I just don't see a real problem with it.... there are 0 "positives" to keeping it. It's still D3's advantage, D3 mains don't seem to care at the tournaments, and it attracts more people. Making a larger community, one where infinited char. mains aren't pissy at D3's for infiniting them, and it brings in more money for the pot and the TO. Please, tell me what is so ****ing wrong with this? Yes, it makes far more sense to have a ban criteria. But then guess what, nothing gets banned because you keep saying "well if you ban this you gotta ban this too". Without that ban criteria (over such things as "broken moves") it's much easier to say "this isn't even needed, let's just rid of it to get people to stop *****ing so we can make more money".

It's a tactic, not a move. Banning DTHROW would be stupid. Banning the standing infinite USING DTHROW is much easier to watch for and enforce a ban on.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO

**** Republicans.

(I'm not even Pro-Ban, I just don't see a real problem with it.... there are 0 "positives" to keeping it. It's still D3's advantage, D3 mains don't seem to care at the tournaments, and it attracts more people. Making a larger community, one where infinited char. mains aren't pissy at D3's for infiniting them, and it brings in more money for the pot and the TO. Please, tell me what is so ****ing wrong with this? Yes, it makes far more sense to have a ban criteria. But then guess what, nothing gets banned because you keep saying "well if you ban this you gotta ban this too". Without that ban criteria (over such things as "broken moves") it's much easier to say "this isn't even needed, let's just rid of it to get people to stop *****ing so we can make more money".

It's a tactic, not a move. Banning DTHROW would be stupid. Banning the standing infinite USING DTHROW is much easier to watch for and enforce a ban on.
QFT.

I don't see any real reasons to keep his infinite. I see all this talk about how it isn't broken because it doesn't overcentralize the metagame but nothing about what keeping them accomplishes. Having a competitive ruleset that encourages free win CP's (that contradict the very nature of competition) to otherwise viable characters is pretty ridiculous. With it banned the game is more balanced, more characters are viable, more matches are competitive, there are less free wins, and more people feel like showing up in tourneys. It is easy to see why many TO's ban it.

Why don't you guys go fight the banning of items or something instead of trying to convince people to allow this infinite based on nothing more substantial than "just because." At least items have pros to go with the cons. Instead of telling people to pick someone else why don't you argue for rulesets that more faithfully lead to competitions where the better player wins.

RDK

Smash Hero

**** Republicans.

What the hell? So I'm a Republican because I think banning D3's infinite is a scrubby thing to do?

I think we're done here.

SuSa

You failed to get the conservative implication of disliking change. This is also known as "failed internet humor because everyone has to be a serious prick about a ****ing party game".

Also failure to read the entire rest of the post or retort to Big O's post means you really had ****ing nothing to argue and just wanted to be a ****.

So nice going, leaving that impression.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813

This is the happy ending to this fairytale, DDD is one of my favorite matchups without the infinite, combo city :). Even if DDD still has like, a 60-40 advantage.

I'm in for the ban, cause I don't like to see some scrub win against some awesome players by abusing DDD's grab range, and pressing the down button a few times :/.

Unlike the ICs, there's actually take some skills.

Luigi player

Smash Master
What I do to stop it

Me-"o you picked ddd, do u do the infinite?
DDD main- "yea i do"
me-"picks metaknight

or

lol it would be nice if it was like that, but why would people that only choose Dedede to infinite (beat) you tell you that they use the infinite so you can switch? That would be stupid, unless they main or second Dedede anyway...

People who still compare some other moves to Dededes infinite... don't know what they're talking about.
If you're jigglypuff and can't beat GaWs bair then you should probably learn to SDI or avoid being behind GaW... you have the chance to avoid it very very often. If you would be killed from one bair from GaW then you'd know how infinited people feel (even though it's still different if it's over after one hit or you get "infinited" for one minute and are helpless).

Some days ago I beat a GaW with Jigglypuff. It was a 2stock. It's probably because I'm a better player, but something like that would never happen if the enemy just infinites. No matter how good you are, you have no chance (well, a very very slim chance, like 0.00001) at all to win.

I play nearly every character and I really like playing as Dedede, but his infinite is the most stupid thing in the game.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
lol it would be nice if it was like that, but why would people that only choose Dedede to infinite (beat) you tell you that they use the infinite so you can switch? That would be stupid, unless they main or second Dedede anyway...

People who still compare some other moves to Dededes infinite... don't know what they're talking about.
If you're jigglypuff and can't beat GaWs bair then you should probably learn to SDI or avoid being behind GaW... you have the chance to avoid it very very often. If you would be killed from one bair from GaW then you'd know how infinited people feel (even though it's still different if it's over after one hit or you get "infinited" for one minute and are helpless).

Some days ago I beat a GaW with Jigglypuff. It was a 2stock. It's probably because I'm a better player, but something like that would never happen if the enemy just infinites. No matter how good you are, you have no chance (well, a very very slim chance, like 0.00001) at all to win.

I play nearly every character and I really like playing as Dedede, but his infinite is the most stupid thing in the game.
Always works for me at least..

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I didn't read this thread, but I'd like to point out to Susa that we in fact did NOT ban food.

There is an in game option to turn it off. We have that option set to off.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom