• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DDD Social: we livin' in smash 4

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
So tech chase do you think that is the future of ddd's meta? The more I play the more I agree with that style of play.

do you have any videos of these matches you played vs all these diddys? I think the video would be very informational for the rest of us with the matchup.

:phone:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
No, it just depends on the MU.

9B took this style of play as far as it can go. Its about knowing when to go in and pressure and knowing when to wait. The idea D3 does both very well. I just drag on matches to get a read on people and **** later in the match. I'm very good at wearing people down. I take the "Tortoise" approach to the race.

And not sure if my matches were recorded. Ill let you know!

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
We're a turtle character. We're strongest when our opponent feels pressured to approach us.

Unfortunately that's something that can be incredibly hard to do against most characters.

allshort17

Smash Ace
Something I realized that could help our turtle style is if we really focus on our stage control. Like, I imagine Dedede as on of those walls in movies that slowly close in until there is no more room. I purposely walk up every time someone retreat to limit room. I also space and zone to purposely never let anyone cross me up. When they're at the edge, they act dumber than normal and I can get plenty of bairs and uptilts.

Does anyone else ever get this mindset when playing? If so, what characters to you like to use it against and how do you perform it?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I used to use that mindset against Falco. Make him fear your grab, when he techs techchase him, and if he ever misses a tech... DASH ATTACK!

Always be ready to UTilt phantasm. ALWAYS. It's the easiest way for him to evade your attempts to pressure him.

I have more but it's been ages since I've played.

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I agree with supreme dirt. Falco is the character I first really came to terms with turtle ddd. Just walk forward and power shield lasers and sit at the range where you can react to and punish any of his moves. About maximum ddd ftilt range in my opinion.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i started playing hit and run with ddd and have experianced nothing but good results.

of course i kinda had to start playing that way because i just got a HD tv that lags soooo bad so i am only comfortable playing super safe because if i start to get aggresive and try to make reads i always get screwed up by lag and then combo'd for about 40 percent. :/ lol

Skinutski

Smash Rookie
NNID
kinuski
3DS FC
0404-7270-8010
I'm in a bit of a weird space now.

I'm beginning to doubt my ability at this game. Wait, no, that's not exactly it. I'm fairly confident. Anime villain level confident.

...But something unpleasant happened to me a while ago. Pretty common story, probably.

I lost to MK. Quite miserably, too. I'm worrying if I can overcome him. Sure, I could pick up loads of things from watching my own games, things I could have done or left undone, but during the actual set, making those perfect decisions at every point is a hard task.

Let me just drop it.

**** shuttle loop. I hate 50/50's where the wrong guess kills me.

Never been so enraged at a character before.

ZTD | TECHnology

This man finally posted in the D3 boards!

And yeah, Metaknight is extremely annoying to deal with. I think we all rage at Metaknight at some point. He's our worst MU and he can make you feel helpess. It's not impossible though. It's just very difficult to play near perfect against him for a long time. The whole concept of the match is about avoiding the situations that can lead to you getting tossed off stage and *****. I can help you with the match if you want though. If your set vs Eddy is online, I'll look at it.

Also, if you're ever going to get past Metaknight you have to accept the fact that MK is a bull**** character and that you're fighting an uphill battle. I mean we know this already but accepting it is different. Because once you accept it, you can keep your cool and not get mad when you get killed early to Shuttle Loop or something dumb like that. Staying composed is the key to this MU. D3 lives forever if he can't gimp us. You can always bring it back with some reads. :)

Exdeath

Smash Master
9B took this style of play as far as it can go.
Mindsets like this can really stunt your creativity. 9B could have -- and I believe would have -- taken his style further if he continued with :dedede:. Given the relatively undeveloped platform metagame with virtually every character, there is plenty that can be done on that end and :dedede:'s platform punish game is exceptionally apt given his spot dodge, low grab, and Bair.

ZTD | TECHnology

I don't see how he could've taken that specific style of extremely passive D3 further. But you could be right. Its just that my thought process on this is derived from what Coney advised me and to be overly passive. And its been working very well for me recently. But I suppose "The Sky's the Limit" mindset is better.

Coney

Smash Master
it's only frustrating because you can lose to MKs 10x worse than you if they know what to do

i mean it's the same with the other characters too so w/e, just a really frustrating character to play

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
it's only frustrating because you can lose to MKs 10x worse than you if they know what to do
To be completely fair though, if they know what to do can you really say that *in this instance* they are ten times worse than you? Even though they are worse players than you overall [and maybe by 10x] when they're still good enough to beat you for that one time that means that they overcame a weakness in their play - maybe only by 1/10th of their overall ability but still good enough to win in a match-up that's IMO mainly decided not in a neutral position [where outplaying the opponent matters the most] but like in positions like offstage or a juggle where skill *is* required [no matter how much you hate MK] to get you in such a position.

So yeah, what I'm saying is that even though I'm drunk [even if my posts don't have grammar errors cuz us EU people are so much better at english than you oololololol] is that all MK players deserve respect for their wins even if the advantage is as big as it is vs DDD - they've worked hard to find tactics that make the MU so bad in the first place [even though it may not have been this hard but remember that it wasn't always like +3 in MKs favor!!!] So yeah, if you can't beat MK [which nobody in the world would hold against a DDD player - remember, as DDD you can almost only win!!!] then you either gotta accept that DDD is a whack char or pick somebody up who can deal with MK [yes such characters exist].

PEACH OUTZ MY DDD BROS!!!

:059:

Coney

Smash Master
i mean it's just hella irritating when i get stomped by someone's pocket MK and then beat them pretty effortlessly with ness/zero suit/wario/any of my other characters

not trying to take anything away from the wins, it's just really really really irritating

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Okay, so I sat down with my friends yesterday, two of which play Snake and have been playing Brawl with me for years now and it's really bugging me now. Why the **** is landing a kill impossible? I really need some help with landing kills because I feel this is my weakest aspect with Dedede at the moment.

Sometimes I wish our U-tilt was like Snake's :c

In other news, i got this really cool kill which I will be getting recorded soon.

EDIT: Adding sig for my second best Snake kill lololol

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
i mean it's just hella irritating when i get stomped by someone's pocket MK and then beat them pretty effortlessly with ness/zero suit/wario/any of my other characters

not trying to take anything away from the wins, it's just really really really irritating
Yeah, that's just how MUs go, if they are so disadvanted. I mean, MK vs Ness, ZSS and Wario are all kind of bad MUs and if you already do better with them that's already a good step forward. I think you with a character like Fox / Falco would have no issues with MKs worse against you at all [just saying this, I know you don't like this characters].

Okay, so I sat down with my friends yesterday, two of which play Snake and have been playing Brawl with me for years now and it's really bugging me now. Why the **** is landing a kill impossible? I really need some help with landing kills because I feel this is my weakest aspect with Dedede at the moment.

Sometimes I wish our U-tilt was like Snake's :c
Snake can't be killed by DDD unless you get him offstage with a CG. Secretly, the match-up is nearly impossible for us! [But only if the Snake is really good :( ]

:059:

allshort17

Smash Ace
Coney, I think you got in my mind somehow.

I've been slow using the green colored Dedede more. Also, I picked up Ness and actually really like him. I think I'll play him in tournament soon. What match-ups do you feel I should use him over Dedede and what are some general tips for playing Ness? I'm having a lot of trouble killing and using Nair.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
A friend of mine uses footstool to nair with Ness.

I hate it.

lol

Edit: Waddle Dee saved me from Bowser Klaw on wifi last night. I was so proud of him.

I hate the klaw.

GanonkingAbyss

Smash Apprentice
When using up-b you can move in one direction before he does the "jump," and change the direction with the jump. This way if you're under the ledge, instead of just using up b away from the ledge to grab the it, you can end up on the stage.

Exdeath

Smash Master
I don't see how he could've taken that specific style of extremely passive D3 further. But you could be right. Its just that my thought process on this is derived from what Coney advised me and to be overly passive. And its been working very well for me recently. But I suppose "The Sky's the Limit" mindset is better.
I mentioned the potential evolution of platform camping for :dedede: (I haven't seen anyone implement this to a significant degree) as an explicit example of how 9B's play style could have improved. Coney's advice and insight is valuable, but while there is a lot more room for players to improve in aggression (this goes for most Brawl players, including myself), Coney is still a fallible human being whose word is not absolute truth; Brawl is a very dynamic game and there is always room for improvement in any play style. I believe that Coney's point at the time was that you would not improve as quickly through spending your time on your defensive play as you would spending your time improving your offensive play.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
im a firm believer that camping d3 is better than aggro d3. i basically just wanna NOT move or barely walk and be able to apply tons of pressure. i feel like d3 can be played more optimally like this.

but idk. i just like turtling. its like my favorite thing in fighting games. it just looks really badass to me playing with fat characters and taking things really slowly. i play as e. honda in SF and Hugo in 3rd strike. i use potemkin and dizzy in GG but i feel like the mold of fat/turtly gets broken here cuz dizzy is much much more of a camper than potemkin has to be. either way. camping + reads = badassness to me.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
During the last games I played, Waddle pick up is actually really damn fast. If Dedede threw them at that speed normally, I think Dees and Doos would be more viable.

Of course, I still enjoy using them because they aren't awful at long range and gordos are always an option.

Coney

Smash Master
pick ness against mk, diddy, and olimar...they're simply EASIER. i find that i still lose usually because i have a ways to go with ness, but it's always closer than with ddd

ddd against everyone else. falco and ICs is a toss-up between the two, it's annoying as both chars.

and gheb the problem is that if i pick up fox or falco for pocket MKs, i risk them going their main on me and not knowing that MU at all. clearly i have to do something though if i want to keep playing the game

it's so stupid...i love aerial spacing chars, but hate MK because he just...doesn't FEEL good. when you hit an aerial with my chars (ddd, ness, zss, wario), **** feels great. with mk it's like...weak (except nair)

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
ground mk is more fun to me. ftilts ALWAYS feel amazing lol whether its the 3rd hit of ftilt or a ftilt to grab or w/e mixup. its always boss.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
During the last games I played, Waddle pick up is actually really damn fast. If Dedede threw them at that speed normally, I think Dees and Doos would be more viable.

Of course, I still enjoy using them because they aren't awful at long range and gordos are always an option.
I dunno about you but i very often find myself punishing jumps with dee toss at long range/mid range. Its fairly easy to do off reads. And 95% of the time im jumping back while tossing. Dee pick up is relatively annoying. One of the things i dislike about DDDs character is any A input near a dee and hes gonna pick it up -_-

ZTD | TECHnology

I mentioned the potential evolution of platform camping for :dedede: (I haven't seen anyone implement this to a significant degree) as an explicit example of how 9B's play style could have improved. Coney's advice and insight is valuable, but while there is a lot more room for players to improve in aggression (this goes for most Brawl players, including myself), Coney is still a fallible human being whose word is not absolute truth; Brawl is a very dynamic game and there is always room for improvement in any play style. I believe that Coney's point at the time was that you would not improve as quickly through spending your time on your defensive play as you would spending your time improving your offensive play.
I get what you're saying and that's my gameplan. There's nothing stopping me or anyone else from evolving D3's metagame. There is a lot to do. I'm actually pretty optimistic these days. I'm working on a few more projects myself actually. I agree the platform game needs to be worked on more. I'm....learning some things lol.

CO18

Smash Hero
When using up-b you can move in one direction before he does the "jump," and change the direction with the jump. This way if you're under the ledge, instead of just using up b away from the ledge to grab the it, you can end up on the stage.
Pleasant to see the metagame has evolved.

Top Bottom